HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 9:12 PM

Two tower cranes now up at the Omni site (excuse the poor panorama, the cranes were hard to fit into one shot):

I think that puts Tempe at...5 tower cranes? Two for Omni, one for 100 Mill, one for the Beam, one for The Pier? I don't think there are any currently for Novus, but I'm sure there's one I'm missing.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 10:58 PM

How long has everyone been here? My friend introduced me to this site a year or two ago

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 11:46 PM

16 years. yikes. welcome!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 12:00 AM
Skyriser

It shows everyone's join date in the upper right of the comment box. I think me and PHX31 (20 years (!)) and xymox might be the oldest regulars

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 1:34 AM

Since March of 2008 for me, so 13.5 years

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 4:10 AM
them bones

I’ve been here since 99!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 7:05 AM

I flew back from Vegas last night and flew over Tempe. Wow, I gotta say, Tempe’s skyline is looking pretty incredible. I just wish they had more towers rising that don’t cater to college students so much. At least a few.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 7:11 AM
Skyriser

^ I'm starting to be OK with the idea that Tempe is where you go to work and/or school and Phoenix (or Scottsdale, if that floats your boat) is where you live. I never wanted to live amongst college students/transient community even in my mid 20s before all of this development boiled over, and it wasn't just cause downtown was dead in summer. I made that mistake with a couple recent complexes in California--never, never, never again.

I think a couple complexes like Emerson rented only to those above 21, thus somewhat limiting the impact of students.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 7:58 AM

I wish I would have known about this forum 20 years ago. It has been the best source of information.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ I'm starting to be OK with the idea that Tempe is where you go to work and/or school and Phoenix (or Scottsdale, if that floats your boat) is where you live. I never wanted to live amongst college students/transient community even in my mid 20s before all of this development boiled over, and it wasn't just cause downtown was dead in summer. I made that mistake with a couple recent complexes in California--never, never, never again.

I think a couple complexes like Emerson rented only to those above 21, thus somewhat limiting the impact of students.
I don think your analysis is correct, Central Phoenix still has the highest concentration of workers (with the immediate west/southwest valley being blue collar manufacturing & Downtown/Midtown/Biltmore being white collar) then North Scottsdale/airpark, Then Tempe, Then the Price corridor with some smaller nodes of business in mesa, gilbert and Deer Valley.)

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
I’ve been here since 99!
I only remember Plinko on the site when I joined and maybe Upward (gone?) (I think I joined around mid 2000). Back then the forum was very unstable and went down all the time. The join dates on the right hand side are not exactly the original dates. I think Jul 2001 is the official beginning date of the latest iteration once Dylan and whoever finally got it all figured out. Mine says Aug 2001 because I left the forum for a while since it was down all of the time and I joined a month later.

I think Combusean and HXGuy and maybe HooverDam (both no longer here?) joined around the same time, they were a shot in the arm and helped to legitimize the Phoenix followers. Then Ronnie eventually came, and others, and the rest is history.

With the 20th anniversary of 9/11 coming up, I'll never forget it was the forum where I first found out about the towers coming down. I was waking up and getting ready to go to my structures class at ASU, the forum was the first thing I checked in the morning. I ended up going to class and the professor basically told us if anyone wanted to go home he would understand. Then he just started lecturing like normal.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 5:07 PM

Hines closed on the 250 Rio site, with construction projected for late 2022.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...pe-office.html

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 5:54 PM

8 Years for me!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 6:33 PM
Modulator

Kinda off topic, but what the hey. I've actually been here since about 2002. My original account somehow got deleted and Dillon couldn't even recover it. I think I was around 7,000 on my post count!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 1:12 AM

I started lurking around here around 2004 when I was 14 years old because I wanted to become an architect and was interested in our local buildings and towers. Found this site and decided to join in 2006 after that first big wave of towers like 44 Monroe, Sheraton, Summit at Copper Square were going up. I lost access to my original account and made a new one.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 3:16 AM
them bones

Back in my day...lol!

I found this forum thanks to a rather infamous forumer (Dynamix) who led me here on my first day of my first job out of architecture school, June 14, 1999. I used to spend hours upon hours late at night in my office scanning old photos to create posts. Those of you who have been here awhile have seen photos of things like the Viad Center under construction. I have a box somewhere of even more. I think I even have photos of the Scottsdale Galleria under construction somewhere.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 6:56 AM
Skyriser

This forum has certainly been around the block. I remember many long nights in 2005 to squeeze what I could out of the hardware as a volunteer before Dylan threw some extra money at it. I'd probably still be working on it but he didn't like the notion of paying remote people. I worry about its resiliency and have lost faith a couple times but it's still here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1
I wish I would have known about this forum 20 years ago. It has been the best source of information.
Thanks! I have certainly enjoyed my role here although I don't contribute breaking news as much as the younger folks these days. "The torch has been passed..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno
I don think your analysis is correct, Central Phoenix still has the highest concentration of workers (with the immediate west/southwest valley being blue collar manufacturing & Downtown/Midtown/Biltmore being white collar) then North Scottsdale/airpark, Then Tempe, Then the Price corridor with some smaller nodes of business in mesa, gilbert and Deer Valley.)
Well, yeah, but literally nobody is building Class A office in Phoenix presuming that 201 N Central renovation is a fantasy. The torch is being passed to Tempe and other East Valley cities. Phoenix and the west valley will certainly remain with flex space and industrial, but I think the days of downtown being the flagship employment district are over. The market certainly thinks so.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Back in my day...lol!

I found this forum thanks to a rather infamous forumer (Dynamix) who led me here on my first day of my first job out of architecture school, June 14, 1999. I used to spend hours upon hours late at night in my office scanning old photos to create posts. Those of you who have been here awhile have seen photos of things like the Viad Center under construction. I have a box somewhere of even more. I think I even have photos of the Scottsdale Galleria under construction somewhere.
Plinko - can you point us to these construction images? I wold LOVE to see some historical construction photos of some of our key buildings going up!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
This forum has certainly been around the block. I remember many long nights in 2005 to squeeze what I could out of the hardware as a volunteer before Dylan threw some extra money at it. I'd probably still be working on it but he didn't like the notion of paying remote people. I worry about its resiliency and have lost faith a couple times but it's still here.

Thanks! I have certainly enjoyed my role here although I don't contribute breaking news as much as the younger folks these days. "The torch has been passed..."

Well, yeah, but literally nobody is building Class A office in Phoenix presuming that 201 N Central renovation is a fantasy. The torch is being passed to Tempe and other East Valley cities. Phoenix and the west valley will certainly remain with flex space and industrial, but I think the days of downtown being the flagship employment district are over. The market certainly thinks so.
Flagship offices have been going to Scottsdale and Tempe for 30 years I dont see how anything has changed.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 6:01 PM

Condo development being built in front of Tempe Market Place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest