HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
This is what the streets of the downtown of the fifth largest city in USA looks like on a weekday afternoon.
I see beautiful new condo's, a Will Bruder library, brand new apartments w/ ground-floor retail, a light rail, and the future site of a 20 story crane. Glad I do not see things your way

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 11:16 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
I see beautiful new condo's, a Will Bruder library, brand new apartments w/ ground-floor retail, a light rail, and the future site of a 20 story crane. Glad I do not see things your way
Just imagine this live cam being set up 2 years ago. No Portland 2, no Union, no en Hance, no Broadstone, no Muse, no Found: RE, no 20 story construction. Just big empty lots and structures. I see great things with the screenshot above!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Glad I do not see things your way
what, with a dose of humor?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 11:22 PM
Modulator

Quote:
what, with a dose of humor?
I'll be honest with you. When I first looked at the webcam, my first thought was "Hmm...there's no traffic". Glad I didn't say anything first!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I'll be honest with you. When I first looked at the webcam, my first thought was "Hmm...there's no traffic". Glad I didn't say anything first!
There is still not a lot of population there and no real office traffic so its only busy on weekends.

Union isn't open, Portland isn't full, Foundre isn't full because its summer, Enhance inst full, Circles isn't done Muse and Broadstone I don't think have begun to lease up yet.

In a few years it will be A LOT busier.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Sorry, but the fact that everyday residents without the capital to purchase the building at what was described many times over as a ridiculously inflated price were unable to adapt this building into something useful does not mean nobody "gave a care in the world." Since Circles closed, there were frequent updates on possible purchases, along with promises of keeping the building in place. What exactly were residents who cared supposed to do in the meantime?

I assume they were waiting for a developer with the financial means to purchase the site and for the parties involved to work out a plan that incorporated adaptive reuse as the former owners had 'promised' the neighborhood. This would essentially mean potential affordable retail space among the other benefits.

Everyone is so anxious for generic, sub-20 story "towers" to go up, but when you think of downtown's revival, you aren't going to remember Lennar... but, de Soto and the future Van Buren --- both former auto dealers --- were absolutely signs of the change. We should expect developers to care about the city they are profitting from and if they presented a model where a good deal of the building was preserved, it was clearly financially doable. It sounds like this still may end up close to that vision, and I think that's a win overall: these older structures are sitting on prime land, and seeing them thoughtfully designed into contemporary towers is the best of all sides. But, I can't get on board with preferring total demolition over a bit of debate.

"What exactly were residents who cared supposed to do in the meantime?"

Well how about getting together with the Phoenix Historic Property Register or the State or National Register of Historic Places for one? Unless it was on paper, whatever the former owners 'promised' was just so much hot air. As with any aspect in life, a proactive approach, instead of sitting around and waiting to see what's going to happen, is going to get you a better outcome. That's my issue with the RAA and everyone else who cried about this building; absolutely nothing was done to get this building designated as something special or interesting. Or if it was, it was at the last minute.

At any rate, the developer is keeping the circular part of the original building and part of the wall along Central which is more than they have to. Now let's just hope it has enough ground floor retail that addresses the street to suit your ideals.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 1:22 AM

It just struck me as a funny observation, guys. No need to start an argument over traffic levels. You're all right.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
"What exactly were residents who cared supposed to do in the meantime?"

Well how about getting together with the Phoenix Historic Property Register or the State or National Register of Historic Places for one? Unless it was on paper, whatever the former owners 'promised' was just so much hot air. As with any aspect in life, a proactive approach, instead of sitting around and waiting to see what's going to happen, is going to get you a better outcome. That's my issue with the RAA and everyone else who cried about this building; absolutely nothing was done to get this building designated as something special or interesting. Or if it was, it was at the last minute.
Absolutely nothing was done? That is patently false. A number of preservationists, including the city of Phoenix themselves tried to save the building or have it put on the historic register. It was very nearly the Arizona Opera: http://archive.azcentral.com/busines...cords0729.html

Ultimately the former property owners chose profit over preservation. They had the sole power to preserve the building with a historic designation, and after a great deal of effort, chose not to. Since the building was already zoned for a high-rise, it held far more financial value to them as land. The asking price was set to only sustain a high-rise development.

The property owners were entitled to do what they did, but to say no effort was made to preserve the building is outrageous. I'm glad at least some portion will remain.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Robot View Post
Absolutely nothing was done? That is patently false. A number of preservationists, including the city of Phoenix themselves tried to save the building or have it put on the historic register. It was very nearly the Arizona Opera: http://archive.azcentral.com/busines...cords0729.html

Ultimately the former property owners chose profit over preservation. They had the sole power to preserve the building with a historic designation, and after a great deal of effort, chose not to. Since the building was already zoned for a high-rise, it held far more financial value to them as land. The asking price was set to only sustain a high-rise development.

The property owners were entitled to do what they did, but to say no effort was made to preserve the building is outrageous. I'm glad at least some portion will remain.
The Arizona Opera deal was attempted in 2010 by the City of Phoenix and it didn't even specifically have to be the Stewart Building, just any building to consolidate the Arizona Opera's offices. I was referring to people who did nothing to get historical status adopted for the building after the the Singers withdrew the original application in 2004. The City tried to get them to change their minds, but obviously they didn't. As far as I know nothing else was done by anyone after that to get the building protected in any way. The music store closed in 2010 and aside from the Arizona Opera talk, nothing else happened after that except for the building falling into disrepair and becoming a place for the homeless to hang out. If I'm wrong please provide your sources. Had that historical designation happened the current developer would have had a much tougher time knocking it down, which was my original point. I also never said that absolutely nothing was done or that no effort was made to preserve the building. The entire sentence was: "absolutely nothing was done to get this building designated as something special or interesting. Or if it was, it was at the last minute." And as far as I know, aside from the half-hearted attempt back in 2004 to get the Singers to go through with their application, nothing was done to protect its historical status or get it listed as being in an historic district, until the current developer disclosed their plans. So, one attempt 13 years ago, to get historic status is not a great deal of effort in my book.

Once the Singers sold the property, the focus should then have been on getting the new owner/developer to preserve the building which brings us to where we are now. On the previous page of this thread in post #268, I blamed the developer for causing the problem in the 1st place by jumping the gun on demolition. They did go back to the drawing board and met with the RAA to see what could be done with the remaining portion, but since the GPLET was basically dead by that point they went ahead and did what they were allowed to do by permit. To my knowledge, there was no pressure put on the City by anyone to deny those permits unless the building or portions of it were preserved for adaptive reuse. Preserving the building might have been a condition of the GPLET, but not a condition of the permits and so the developer, putting profit ahead of preservation *GASP* did what should surprise no one. And as I said in my previous post, but which you left out: "At any rate, the developer is keeping the circular part of the original building and part of the wall along Central which is more than they have to". And from what others on this thread have noted, it looks like that's very close to what Empire agreed to in the redesign. So it seems that we're basically getting what many wanted in the first place which is preservation and integration of the distinctive portions of the original building as well as the Stewart name, but of course that will never be enough for some people.

Last edited by RichTempe; Jun 15, 2017 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 12:42 AM

There really isnt anything special about the Stewart building.

Developer is doing the 'right thing' by preserving the front facade. But, i would have ZERO problems if the whole building was demo'd.

Lets move on. 'Important' parts are being saved and incorporated.... and we get a new tower

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
There is still not a lot of population there and no real office traffic so its only busy on weekends.

Union isn't open, Portland isn't full, Foundre isn't full because its summer, Enhance inst full, Circles isn't done Muse and Broadstone I don't think have begun to lease up yet.

In a few years it will be A LOT busier.
Union is open. I looked at a unit a few weeks back before I renewed my lease at Capital Place. There were two older couples signing leases when I was there. Empty nester types. No pool or Gym and for the same rent I paying actually prob a little more wasn't worth the move for me, although the location is better than where I am. Ncounter is going in there soon, Muse just opened and Broadstone e Arts Distric has been opened a while.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 7:18 AM

So excited for The Stewart or Circles or whatever they are going to call it. I remember buying a CD there years ago that I wanted from a local rap group. With this and hoepfully Frys getting started soon is really exciting! I can see myself living at circles, hopefully making even better money in two years though,lol. Man if the Central Park West condos get started, the three towers by Proxy and the Arizona Centers Apartments get going too, we will see construction never before seen. Imagine taking ur suburban friends or family downtown seeing all that activity. They'll really be saying, what are we doing out here in the burbs, look at how beautiful downtown is, I never knew,lol! I also just hope The Arizona Center gets some decent stores and hoepfully a bar at AMC Theatres.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 5:00 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
So excited for The Stewart or Circles or whatever they are going to call it. I remember buying a CD there years ago that I wanted from a local rap group. With this and hoepfully Frys getting started soon is really exciting! I can see myself living at circles, hopefully making even better money in two years though,lol. Man if the Central Park West condos get started, the three towers by Proxy and the Arizona Centers Apartments get going too, we will see construction never before seen. Imagine taking ur suburban friends or family downtown seeing all that activity. They'll really be saying, what are we doing out here in the burbs, look at how beautiful downtown is, I never knew,lol! I also just hope The Arizona Center gets some decent stores and hoepfully a bar at AMC Theatres.
If the perfect scenario happens, by 2020, we could potentially have 9 new towers over 200' with 3 of them over 300'...again if the perfect scenario happens. But I'm going to gamble not everything goes as planned. Derby is looking tough at this point and Pierce and 3rd is awesome, but a huge development to attempt so close to Roosevelt. I see that getting cut down to lower heights or less towers.

In the worst scenario, by 2019 we will have 3 new towers (Block 23, Central Park and Stewart), none over 300' unless Block 23 builds the office portion higher. I would like to see dirt moving at AZ Center before calling it a go and same for Barrister since these 2 developments have had multiple proposals thrown around over the years. But they do sound promising at this point.

My prediction...5 or 6 new towers by 2019. Stewart, Block 23 residences, Central Park residences, Barrister, 1 shortened tower at 3rd and Pierce...and a definite maybe for AZ Center.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 5:56 AM

Does anyone know why the UEB construction cam for The Stewart has disappeared? I just tried the link and get a '404 page not found error'. It's no longer listed on their list of webcams: https://ueb.net/webcams.html,

although it is still listed as one of their projects: https://ueb.net/projects/G25/G25.html

Just curious if it's significant or something simple like repositioning the cam.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 6:29 AM

Project is cancelled due to opposition from the neighboring businesses.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Project is cancelled due to opposition from the neighboring businesses.
So in other words, you don't have a clue. Thanks, I guess, for the attempt at humor.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 7:30 AM

I thought it was funny.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 3:25 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
Does anyone know why the UEB construction cam for The Stewart has disappeared? I just tried the link and get a '404 page not found error'. It's no longer listed on their list of webcams: https://ueb.net/webcams.html,

although it is still listed as one of their projects: https://ueb.net/projects/G25/G25.html

Just curious if it's significant or something simple like repositioning the cam.
I think they must be changing the URL. The cam is still up as you can view the still images (updated about every 50 mins).

https://img.ueb.net/camImages/TheStewart.jpg

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I think they must be changing the URL. The cam is still up as you can view the still images (updated about every 50 mins).

https://img.ueb.net/camImages/TheStewart.jpg
Thanks for the info and the link for the still images. The construction cam froze about 2 days ago and then the 404 error started yesterday, so I figured it was something minor, but with everything else going on I wouldn't have been surprised to see the cam come back up with the rest of the building demo'd.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 8:07 AM

Was just in the area an hour ago, a lot of noise and work being done at midnight. I assume because of the record heat earlier in the daylight hours. Progress is a go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest