HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 9:17 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
I absolutely agree. I also agree with one of the above posts that said the top should be stretched. I like the design and think it is actually somewhat unique, while trying to maximize its footprint. It would look better if the crown was stretched. Just my humble opinion. Great tower either way.
Personally, I would like this one to be about 200 feet taller, but that's okay with me!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 10:42 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

not a fan either, its pretty generic, but yeah i agree stretching it up would definately help make it look more interesting.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 3:49 AM

Looks like the New York Post has blown the cover off the height of the project!

Quote:
Chinese Buyers snap up NYC skyscrapers

June 7, 2014
New York Post

New York is back in the high life — with a new generation of towers more than 800 feet tall expected to crowd the skyline in the next few years.

Why so many new skyscrapers? Demand, for one — foreign buyers in particular are eager to snap up a spot in Manhattan. And modern businesses are looking to new office towers for the latest in energy efficiency, Internet access and style.

But one of the biggest changes is technological.

Structural advances mean ulta-thin towers higher than the Empire State Building (1,250 feet at roof, 1,454 feet at spire) can be built on spaces one-half acre or even smaller.

Here’s a look at some of the towers headed our way:

"One Vanderbilt 1,292 feet (1,392 feet w/spire) Office building would connect to Grand Central; proposed"

http://nypost.com/2014/06/07/nycs-ne...ll-live-there/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 4:34 AM

Nice to hear that this will be 1392 feet it'll make a nice impact on the skyline.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 6:00 AM

Would it be fair to say that the upper 2/3rds of this proposal is similar in size as the upper 2/3rds of ESB? If so, this will have a massive effect on the skyline of midtown as there would be quite some heft to this building that high up.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 6:42 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hopefully the design will change when it comes to the upper 2/3. Most likely it will as it will still be a while before anything happens. Something of this size needs a crown that is worthy of the area.

Also, I wouldn't take the height as literal. It may change; become shorter or taller as again, its still a long way coming.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 2:39 PM
Houston:Considered Good

Very cool for New York!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 4:30 PM

Mods should change official height to 1292 (1392).

I really like the base, but I think the top still needs work.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 5:14 PM

The diagram height is going to need to be changed too...again, for the third time.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 7:11 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Mods should change official height to 1292 (1392).
Mods seem to be on vacation Other threads have yet to be updated!

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypothalamus View Post
Same with the illustrators. Hardly anything is being drawn lately.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 11:00 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
You should see the Miami projects. Some of them have been UC for months and are still in the proposal section.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
You should see the Miami projects. Some of them have been UC for months and are still in the proposal section.
Lets hope their schedule free's up during the summer and they can REALLY update this website.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Could you link me there...I can't seem to find the link on the main page.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 1:14 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Could you link me there...I can't seem to find the link on the main page.
Theres too many. Just look for the MIAMI, in caps, for the projects. Theres a ton in the proposal section or construction. Also the compilation( http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...00920&page=100 ) . They might not be on the 1st page, some are 2nd or even 6th page.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 4:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Everyone needs a break now an then.

Quote:
One Vanderbilt 1,292 feet (1,392 feet w/spire) Office building would connect to Grand Central
I would expect it to change by the time this moves to the approval process. We've seen the number of changes they've done with 30 HY, I expect the top to be further refined here.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 5:14 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/op...east-side.html

Smart Growth on the East Side

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD
JUNE 10, 2014

Quote:
With the sun setting on his final term, Mayor Michael Bloomberg tried last fall to push through a grand rezoning plan for East Midtown that would have brought many more office towers and a flood of workers to a 73-block area around Grand Central Terminal. He said it met an urgent need to keep the city competitive, with up-to-date buildings and improved transportation above and below ground. The plan died in the City Council, under criticism from community members and elected officials who said it was too drastic and too complicated to wave through.

They were right. But Mayor Bill de Blasio is also right to have revived the plan, putting part of it on a fast track and the rest on a proper trajectory, with a thorough, “ground-up” review that recognizes the need to polish that gem of a business district, but to do it wisely.

The larger rezoning is expected to take several years, as it should. The trick will be to balance ambitious growth with sensible preservation and to make sure an aging, strained transportation grid is strengthened for an influx of workers, especially when the Long Island Rail Road comes to Grand Central.

A new task force, led by the Manhattan borough president, Gale Brewer, and City Councilman Daniel Garodnick, a thoughtful critic of the Bloomberg plan, should be well poised to think this through.

Meanwhile, the developer SL Green Realty, with the administration’s support, is moving ahead with plans to build a 1,200-foot tower on Vanderbilt Avenue, next to Grand Central. The administration says the project, which will be taller than the Chrysler Building, will include more than $200 million in transit improvements, like wider subway platforms and new underground connections, paid for by the developer and overseen by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

It is only fair for the city to insist on needed public amenities in return for the right to build so big and high, and to place those costs on the developer, not the taxpayer.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 9:37 PM
Mr. Technology

The developer is being asked to pay for wider subway platforms?
Isn't that the responsibility of the MTA?

Perhaps they could pay a percentage of the cost?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 9:51 PM
BANNED

The state should be paying for transit improvements but because our muscle car loving governor has slashed funds from the MTA, none of that will happen anytime soon. I just hope SL Green doesn't end up building a cheap looking tower because of having to borrow money for these expensive transit "improvements".

Last edited by Perklol; Jun 12, 2014 at 2:07 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 10:07 PM
Mr. Technology

I'm just concerned about how easy it seems to simply pass the cost of transit improvements to the developer.

A taller tower = more local tax revenue for the city.

I fear that politics could delay this project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive