HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Telus Garden Residential Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 3:05 PM

untouched units are rare but fun. I have been a few that are next to new only used a few times of the year. I did some work in one that still had all the packaging in the oven.

I ran into a contractor that fell into a great niche of going in to units and either winterizing for the banks when in repo or for absent owners. Goes in monthly for insurance reasons and does a variety of services from minor cleaning and running appliances to keep them all in good condition

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:19 AM

Another broken glass sidewalk panel on the West Georgia side.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 4:33 AM

Yeah, I saw that too.
.,. and on the Robson side, a number of the glass sidewalk panels are not lit.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 9:29 PM

I don't think it's the glass panels or their installation that are the problem: it's the riot-prone folks of this city who love to smash and vandalize things. We need harsher fines and jailtime.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I don't think it's the glass panels or their installation that are the problem: it's the riot-prone folks of this city who love to smash and vandalize things. We need harsher fines and jailtime.
The problem with dtes/homeless/addicts is that you can't punish them any more than they are already punishing themselves. You are just giving them another enemy to hate.

We need to disperse dtes into smaller and more manageable communities, monitor their activities, and single out the criminal organizers. Break them from the inside.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cov View Post
The problem with dtes/homeless/addicts is that you can't punish them any more than they are already punishing themselves. You are just giving them another enemy to hate.

We need to disperse dtes into smaller and more manageable communities, monitor their activities, and single out the criminal organizers. Break them from the inside.
I wouldnt call it punishing, but rather a strong motivation to change and get off the street. The City needs to help them achieve that. The DTES problems aren't confined to just there, its spreading if the City does nothing.

Anyway enough about that. My earlier comment was regarding how to deal with anyone who vandalize and break things in the city, and not just targetting the homeless or drug addicts .

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Riot-prone? You mean one riot 8 years ago?

Hardly Hong Kong levels of rioting.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:20 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cov View Post

With Riverview long closed I don't see how that can be remedied. There is simply nothing we can do for those who are untreatable as none of the remaining mental health infrastructure can support a community as large as the DTES, let alone the greater Vancouver area. Developers will unfortunately just have to come to terms with designing public spaces to be more resistant to vandalism which will as a side-effect lead to less appealing designs at the ground level.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
With Riverview long closed I don't see how that can be remedied. There is simply nothing we can do for those who are untreatable as none of the remaining mental health infrastructure can support a community as large as the DTES, let alone the greater Vancouver area. Developers will unfortunately just have to come to terms with designing public spaces to be more resistant to vandalism which will as a side-effect lead to less appealing designs at the ground level.
I don't disagree, but reading the content of this post over twice and actually letting it sink in might be one of the most depressing and disappointing things I have read in a long time.

Our inability to deal with this issue is beyond words.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
I don't disagree, but reading the content of this post over twice and actually letting it sink in might be one of the most depressing and disappointing things I have read in a long time.

Our inability to deal with this issue is beyond words.
I'd agree, except I'd replace "inability to deal" with "governmental unwillingness to meaningfully address". Seriously, so-called progressives run the city and yet they let the DTES burn? Hypocrisy?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I'd agree, except I'd replace "inability to deal" with "governmental unwillingness to meaningfully address". Seriously, so-called progressives run the city and yet they let the DTES burn? Hypocrisy?
Progressives don't want to force people into treatment or restrict their access to their "supply". I think some tough love is required.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Progressives don't want to force people into treatment or restrict their access to their "supply". I think some tough love is required.
It is. 100%. Reality is literally showing that it is.

And yet, seeing San Fran, Seattle, LA and Portland makes me realise there is no hope to address this.

I will never understand how the progressives can spew the garbage they do while seeing the abysmal failure of policies play out.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Can't agree more with you. Not wanting to sound heartless, but tough love is definitely needed here. For their sake and everyone else's.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
It is. 100%. Reality is literally showing that it is.

And yet, seeing San Fran, Seattle, LA and Portland makes me realise there is no hope to address this.

I will never understand how the progressives can spew the garbage they do while seeing the abysmal failure of policies play out.
Government to addicted drug users: here you go, free drugs and no judgement. Go ahead! Break every law that reduces civil society? Would you like fries with that?

Government to addicted alcohol drinkers: free liquor? Heck no. Not as sexy as junkie chic.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Government to addicted drug users: here you go, free drugs and no judgement. Go ahead! Break every law that reduces civil society? Would you like fries with that?

Government to addicted alcohol drinkers: free liquor? Heck no. Not as sexy as junkie chic.
Don't forget getting your weekend beer poured out by the cops. And a $150 ticket, because we know you can afford it.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:25 AM

Most of the lanterns in the alley have been removed, at least on the south end.

Nov.25 '19, my pic

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 12:02 PM

There was a stage running up and down the trellis last week or the week before.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:37 PM

would anyone like to see grafitti like a Melbourne laneway? it looks kinda boring

qantas.com

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:56 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, the Melbourne alleyway is interestingly done up, whereas the Telus alley is comparatively dull and sterile. What's in Melbourne is in many cities in Europe, The USA, even in Canada.
Vancouver simply has to wake up, smell the coffee, adjust any excessively limiting regulations regarding what and how everthing is constructed, and operated, to get going on the alleyways.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
would anyone like to see grafitti like a Melbourne laneway? it looks kinda boring

qantas.com
What about these?:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@-37.8169...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ca/maps/@-37.8167...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ca/maps/@-37.8174...7i13312!8i6656

Aren't they all so boring and dark from all the shadowing?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver