HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 9:03 PM
BANNED

Personally I like the NFL better but have much love for college football because I consider it the minor league and all pro sports needs the minors to make them successful.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 9:03 PM
NYC Rick

You honestly think that Boise could support an NHL team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
Boise is pretty decent supporting their local semi-pro hockey team. An NHL team could possibly make it here. Hard to say though. The true and tried fact is that Boise is HUGE in supporting the Broncos. It really is a cool thing to be a part of.

An as far as the NFL expanding to international markets. I'm way against it. Horrible idea.
Yes. Boise has become a viable city and there is no doubt about that. Having and NHL team is a tough proposition. It's ratings are down, it is distictly hurt by the economy and the salaries are not cheap regardless of the previous.

When you get NHL prices and know you have to seat 10-11000 seats for a ton of games then there is no way...at least that I see.

It is a huge investment that has only one chance to survive. That would be a total fan commitment at a price that is well beyond what most mid sized cities deal with.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
um.. in international markets.. there is only ONE football and it's a black and white round ball....
grid-iron as it's called overseas is not popular enough overseas for them to have any kind of reasonable expansion... I know americans think they are the center of the universe when it comes to sports... they would have better luck putting an nfl team in a smaller city like Boise before they would any place in europe...
As for professional sports in boise... I could see NHL team doing well here... I don't think NFL would do so well in that BSU is the star when it comes to football...people support bsu because it is college football.. and not professional
We certainly could support a professional sports team in the near future.. I think boise is about 630K right now.. and projections from Compass predict 900k-1m by 2020... which would be plenty big enough to support it.
As of now boise's trade area due to it's isolation is well over a million already.. drawing upon eastern oregon and southern idaho (twin falls) etc.. if sprawl keeps happening and elmore county as well as malhuer and payette counties get gobbled up into our MSA in the next couple years.. that's another 100k already
Boy, nothing like taking an estimate of 587K from the official Census bureau in 2008 and puffing it up to 630K and even a million counting cities you do business with... I don't know the area but I trust a number from them over you any day...

They way you make it sound, Boise will be having the same over crowding problems as China in a matter of weeks...

Fact is, Boise's metro isn't much bigger than Provo's metro.. The only difference I see is Boise has an international airport because some place in that state has to have a decent airport....

I don't hear too many people putting Provo's population up for bid for an NFL team down the road.... Provo obviously has other issues for getting a major pro team but they aren't much smaller than Boise.. Both areas are growing at a good rate as well..

I think it was Cottonwood that claimed Boise is a Catholic haven as well.. Who knew a small town like Boise had it's own Little Italy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood
Hmmmmm. Maybe this is the reason Boise, especially downtown has so many coffee houses, wine bars, martini bars, and they are always packed. I believe Boise's largest religious faith is Roman Catholic. But you don't have to be on what might be considered the Lords Side to be a success as long as everyone gets along and plays well!
Wiki info isn't always reliable but this shows Cottonwood like his buddy just pulls info out of his rear end and expects people to buy it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho#Religion

Some of these Boise Posters have some big dreams without the bank account to back them up....

Classic...

Last edited by utenation; Oct 9, 2009 at 11:04 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy
I really hate the dick comparing when it comes to sports discussions...there's nothing wrong with a bit of rivalry.. but seriously how is anyone suppose to take this comment seriously when you fail to acknowledge the value in college sports
fact of the matter is.. college sports scene is tomorrow's professional sports scene.. Many people enjoy the sport and it's players while they're in the process of rising to greatness.. rather than jumping on the bandwagon after they finally do.
On the contrary - I watch college ball. I simply said it's the minors which indeed it is. That does not mean it has no value. I was responding to a comment that some supposed football fans don't care about the NFL or think it sucks. I don't see how you could be a fan of the game and not enjoy watching the most talented players play it. Why not? I'm not getting any answers here. Even a cursory fan might have an interest in watching the finest talent the world has produced. I like the NFL because it separates the men from the boys - the real deal (Peyton Manning) from the pretenders (Alex Smith). If you can't appreciate the pros your just a homer - a homer whose tune would change if the NFL came to town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cololi
Back to college football. The college regular season beats the NFL hands down. It adds a whole new level of excitement when you have to win week in and week out. When a team like the Chargers can win their division last year at 8-8, that sucks. The NFL playoffs, much better than bowl season
Who says every game doesn't count in the NFL. Tell that to the 11-5 Patriots who didn't make the playoffs last year. The NFL has a tie-breaker formula for the playoffs that's as long as my arm. Each and every scenario depends upon games played - and they all do matter. The Chargers played three straight playoff games last year just to reach the playoffs. They made history coming from three games down with three to play. Some found that exciting.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 10:58 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenation View Post
Boy, nothing like taking an estimate of 587K from the official Census bureau in 2008 and puffing it up to 630K and even a million counting cities you do business with... I don't know the area but I trust a number from them over you any day...

They way you make it sound, Boise will be having the same over crowding problems as China in a matter of weeks...

Fact is, Boise's metro isn't much bigger than Provo's metro.. The only difference I see is Boise has an international airport because some place in that state has to have a decent airport....

I don't hear too many people putting Provo's population up for bid for an NFL team down the road.... Provo obviously has other issues for getting a major pro team but they aren't much smaller than Boise.. Both areas are growing at a good rate as well..

I think it was Cottonwood that claimed Boise is a Catholic haven as well.. Who knew a small town like Boise had it's own Little Italy?

Some of these Boise Posters have some big dreams without the bank account to back them up....

Classic...
would you shut up already.. you need to be banned... you are nothing but a troll

Here.. stuff some 2009 figures in your pipe..

http://www.tokre.com/Portals/0/Marke...oise_intro.pdf

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 11:02 PM

Ute is just jealous of the Great City of Boise. I mean if you live in Sandy and trump Provo you have to have issues.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Ute is just jealous of the Great City of Boise. I mean if you live in Sandy and trump Provo you have to have issues.
I'm just here to make sure you guys learn something... Not sure where you guys get your information is all...

We've already taught Boiseguy a few things.. We can start on your education as well... Your first lesson is already in the books..

Last edited by utenation; Oct 9, 2009 at 11:44 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
would you shut up already.. you need to be banned... you are nothing but a troll

You just don't like it when people call you on your info... You should never turn down a free education...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 11:44 PM

CPVLive:
Yeah, I watch and enjoy the NFL. I've been to a handful of pro games in various cities. Sure they're fun, and would be for anyone who enjoys football. But I prefer college football. That does not make me a homer. One might argue that without the bullshit that comes with multi-million dollar contracts and marketing deals, the players play with more heart. The rules differ in some cases. There's a whole list of differences that would make one more appealing than another based on personal opinions. When it comes to basketball, then I prefer the pros to college. Again, the structures are different between college and the pros, and in my opinion, the structure of the NBA serves the game better. With football, I feel the opposite. It's an opinion. Don't blow an artery over it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 12:21 AM

There are 2 things you can count on when you visit SSP: a penis measuring contest and someone who gets offended when you offer a little constructive criticism. Who cares if Boise has 630,000 residents or 610,000? The science is imperfect to begin with anyway. If the estimate is within 5% + or - then it is good enough for government work!
Wouldn't Boise be more capable of supporting an NBA team? That seems to be the entry level pro franchise among the big 4 (or 3 and a half.) -Or maybe baseball and hockey just add up to 1 nowadays. -Still expensive teams to support but pathetic products. Then again the NBA is becoming a pro sports version of Access Hollywood. Ah crap I can't write a single post without becoming critical. I'm sure I've offended atleast 10 or so readers already.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:

One thing I've learned over the years about population counts is you can probably produce 10 different links showing different numbers. This one just happens to be a Boise Real estate firm....

The good thing is the next census count will be in 2010, so we can quit using estimates for the last 10 years...

That's why I always trust official numbers from the census bureau... Those may not be exact but it is considered the common tool for the subject when talking population.. Your number may not be all that far off today but the point is, you like to bloat numbers and promote fantasy ideas with little to no support like BSU going to the P10 or Boise having the firepower to support and NFL team even in the near future..

It's one thing to have an opinion on something and entirely another to try and sell snake oil as proof...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPVLIVE View Post
Who says every game doesn't count in the NFL. Tell that to the 11-5 Patriots who didn't make the playoffs last year. The NFL has a tie-breaker formula for the playoffs that's as long as my arm. Each and every scenario depends upon games played - and they all do matter. The Chargers played three straight playoff games last year just to reach the playoffs. They made history coming from three games down with three to play. Some found that exciting.
I think you proved my point about one of the drawbacks of the NFL. Patriots, 11-5 no playoffs; Chargers 8-8 playoffs. Of course this is the same situation in all pro sports. Tiebreakers are for ties, not to get an 8-8 team into the playoffs over an 11-5 team.

I follow the NFL and try to go to games when I am in San Diego. I simply just prefer the college regular season to the NFL's. To each their own

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 12:38 AM

I think Boise could support an NBA team in the near future. That's why I asked early about their Development league team. The Boise Metro is about at the population that the SLC metro was at when the New Orleans Jazz came to town.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 12:41 AM
Robotic Construction

Some divisions are harder than others. Not all 11-5 teams are as good as all 8-8 teams in other divisions. The Patriots didn't win their division and they didn't win the Wild Card, that's their fault. Last Season, the Broncos were 8-5 before loosing three straight and San Diego winning three straight to end the season. That resulted in an unusually low record for a division winner, but it's because they were beating up on each other (San Diego winning the final game of season against Denver). To do away with divisions, would diminish the game. Division rivalries would decay and each match up would become more and more alike and less unique. The league would ultimately be threatened with permanent unbalance. The traditions and history of the game and division rivalries would be broken down.

Last edited by SnyderBock; Oct 10, 2009 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 12:48 AM

utenation, the stats from Wiki are for the state of Idaho, while Cottonwood was mentioning the actual city of Boise. Some cities in Idaho are pretty LDS. I'm not sure the stats on Boise.

I also think Boise is very different than Provo, despite being approximately the same population. Boise is the hub for the entire state - economically, culturally, politically, etc. and there aren't any other major cities around it - whereas Provo is just a 30-40 minute drive from Salt Lake.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
I think Boise could support an NBA team in the near future. That's why I asked early about their Development league team. The Boise Metro is about at the population that the SLC metro was at when the New Orleans Jazz came to town.
Right, it's all about having an owner who represents the city, and has tons of money, who wants to bring a team there (like Larry H. Miller did).

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 12:54 AM
Robotic Construction

The NBA is actually satisfied with it's current number of teams. When they are ready to expand again, the NBA is hoping to expand with a couple new franchises in Europe, not North America. Yes, that's correct...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 1:02 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:

Wiki info isn't always reliable but this shows Cottonwood like his buddy just pulls info out of his rear end and expects people to buy it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho#Religion

Classic...
Quote:
I'm just here to make sure you guys learn something... Not sure where you guys get your information is all...

We've already taught Boiseguy a few things.. We can start on your education as well... Your first lesson is already in the books..
Quote:
You just don't like it when people call you on your info... You should never turn down a free education...
Quote:
One thing I've learned over the years about population counts is you can probably produce 10 different links showing different numbers. This one just happens to be a Boise Real estate firm....

The good thing is the next census count will be in 2010, so we can quit using estimates for the last 10 years...

That's why I always trust official numbers from the census bureau... Those may not be exact but it is considered the common tool for the subject when talking population.. Your number may not be all that far off today but the point is, you like to bloat numbers and promote fantasy ideas with little to no support like BSU going to the P10 or Boise having the firepower to support and NFL team even in the near future..

It's one thing to have an opinion on something and entirely another to try and sell snake oil as proof...
Ouch. I guess it is easy to hide behind a screen name and be discrespectful.
Utah has a lot of good forumers and those of you who show respect need to really reign in your obviously vindictive Utah forumers who spam this MW forum with their prick attitudes. It is obvious there are a few from Utah who only participate at SSP to knock other cities because of their own insecurities. I've seen a few even attack Phoenix and Denver on occasion to stir the pot.

Boise supports real sports like mountain biking, cycling, whitewater rafting, kayaking, and rock climbing quite well, probably better than most cities. If you are into sitting in an arena then Les Bois has a killer hockey team to support and of course the Broncos at various sports. The Utah Jazz usually train up here and many people in the metro area like to turn out to watch them do their thing. Never underestimate Boise because you will always end up being wrong.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Utah has a lot of good forumers and those of you who show respect need to really reign in your obviously vindictive Utah forumers who spam this MW forum with their prick attitudes. It is obvious there are a few from Utah who only participate at SSP to knock other cities because of their own insecurities. I've seen a few even attack Phoenix and Denver on occasion to stir the pot.

Boise supports real sports like mountain biking, cycling, whitewater rafting, kayaking, and rock climbing quite well, probably better than most cities. If you are into sitting in an arena then Les Bois has a killer hockey team to support and of course the Broncos at various sports. The Utah Jazz usually train up here and many people in the metro area like to turn out to watch them do their thing. Never underestimate Boise because you will always end up being wrong.

I'm sure there are those that are equally sick of the Boise posters.. Who made you police? I don't claim my thoughts represent anyone's but mine.. Nor would I try to "reign" another poster in because of regional ties.

I noticed you had nothing to say to guys like California Kid that have attacked a religion... Maybe you need to police your own since you're so concerned...

I've simply presented facts to wrong theories and numbers... Sorry that doesn't go down soft for you...

I like Boise but some of these theories presented by their posters have been wrong...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 2:09 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post

well said, thankyou...
the discussion wasn't even of relevence to how many people live in the boise metro, it was about possibilities of sports franchises.
the numbers I used and sited on the realestate firm's source are the same for compass...
http://www.compassidaho.org/document...2000to2009.pdf
which is the regional planning agency here.. so if they're wrong.. fuck I'm sorry...thats all we got to go from until census time comes...but this utenation guy has got to be some regular forumer that is too chicken shit to say such things under their actual handle name...whatever the case is they contribute nothing to this forum other than attacking people...
if he wants to argue with compass of idaho.. then he can... we'll just say 600k ok? jesus christ...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West