HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Four World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 1:58 PM
Frigidus Maximus

The view out across the memorial to the FT soaring into the sky will be a killer...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 2:07 PM
Show me the blueprints

I just fell asleep while scrolling.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 2:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I just fell asleep while scrolling.
You can type in your sleep. Excellent talent.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 2:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
The view out across the memorial to the FT soaring into the sky will be a killer...
The view from the restaurant in the fall or during the winter snow will be nice. Something different for the WTC. Yet get your choice of "windows-on-the-world" at the Freedom Tower. Or just a simple "windows-on-NY" at this one. The was the possibility of opening up some sort of public space at Tower 5 as well, but we'll see how that goes.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 2:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Meanwhile, the new slurry wall is (nearly) completed on the southern end...

wtcrising.com

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 3:24 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScraperCity View Post
I wouldn't say that. I personally think that it's beauty is found in its simplicity.
Quite true. But hey, who says short, fat rich guys are so complicated? I thought that fat guy, tall thin wife thing so funny. Eh, they are all beautiful buildings though.

I am so amazed by the immense progress at this site now. It's so refreshing after six years of dragging feet.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 3:57 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Quite true. But hey, who says short, fat rich guys are so complicated? I thought that fat guy, tall thin wife thing so funny. Eh, they are all beautiful buildings though.

I am so amazed by the immense progress at this site now. It's so refreshing after six years of dragging feet.

Well, you just know that after all this time Silverstein must be just chaffing at the bits to see everything completed.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 9:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Yeah, there's really nothing left to fight over now, except maybe the Deutsche Bank building demoliton.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 10:46 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2007/port-au...2m-plus-delays

Statement by Port Authority Regarding Preparation of Towers 3 and 4 Bathtub
At WTC Site to Allow Silverstein Properties to Begin Construction in January

The Port Authority announced today that it has substantially completed the excavation of the basement area for Towers 3 and 4 at the World Trade Center site, and that it would complete the entirety of the excavation of Tower 4 by mid-January, and Tower 3 two to four weeks later. In keeping with this timetable, Silverstein Properties will advance procurement and other preconstruction activities in preparation for full-scale construction.

The construction of the Towers, including below- and above-grade retail and subterranean transit concourses, is expected to be completed by Silverstein Properties in 2011.

The unprecedented 12-month excavation and construction project - which involved the removal of nearly 300,000 tons, or enough concrete, soil and rock to fill Giants Stadium - will be completed within weeks of its original schedule established in an agreement with Silverstein Properties in mid-2006. Fifty miles of trucks was required to remove the material from the “bathtub” in recent months. In addition to clearing the site, the work involved the intricate installation of approximately 400 tiebacks, which if placed end-to-end would stretch down Interstate 95 from Manhattan to Philadelphia, and the pouring of enough concrete to pave a sidewalk from Wall Street to Rockland County, N.Y.

As a whole, the project is more than 90 percent complete. The excavation for the bathtub for Towers 3 and 4 must be dug to elevation 240. To date, 80 percent of the site for Tower 4 has reached elevation 240, and the remaining portion ranges from between elevations 241 and 248. The site for Tower 3 has been excavated to as low as elevation 264.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 10:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Maybe we all need to get down there with shovels....

DECEMBER 29, 2007

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 12:21 AM
New Yorker for life

Port Authority offers proof of progress at the site:

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 6:43 PM
World Machine

Talk about progress.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 8:32 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Just wait 'til the megatowers start rocketing out of the ground... the World Trade Center will come back bigger and better than it ever was. I just hope that we don't see anymore cutbacks like the one that killed the Fulton station proposal: it would be a damned shame to lose the Calatrava station. I could easily live without the waterfalls, though: they could save a couple of hundred million just by creating a beautiful new park with a magnificent fountain in the middle, and calling it Memorial Park: an instant rival to Bryant Park. The falls will be nice if actually built, but if a budget cut has to happen somewhere, THAT would be the place... I shudder to think of the cost to operate and maintain the things decades into the future.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 1:01 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2008/you-re-...ng-tower-sites

You're Up, Larry! Port Authority Weeks Away From Ceding Tower Sites

by Eliot Brown
January 1, 2008

With the Port Authority’s announcement on Monday that it is facing four to six weeks of delays at Ground Zero, it seems Larry Silverstein will have to wait a few more weeks before his test begins.

Assuming the Port Authority, which owns the site, finishes excavating the bathtub for World Trade Center Towers 3 and 4 within the next few weeks, as it expects, Mr. Silverstein will indeed be in the spotlight, as for the first time in over six years the ball will be almost entirely in his court.

This test seems to be one that he relishes, as for some time he has been anxious to try to wow New York City with the speed and efficiency of the private sector (pressure is added by the fact that he’s paying some $215,000 a day in rent for the sites). His deputy for World Trade Center development, Janno Lieber, often boasts about his design team, claiming they have met every single deadline thrown at them.

Of course, that’s a bit easier to say from their 7 World Trade Center office than it is when building more than six million square feet of new space, though their time to prove themselves awaits.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 11:11 AM
New Yorker for life

wtcrising.com

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 9:44 PM

thats a big hole...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 2:14 AM

thats a lot of excavators

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 5:43 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall5505 View Post
thats a lot of excavators
Yeah, the fact that they missed the deadline by a couple of weeks is mostl due to
the fact that the Port Authority started so late. In the long run, a minor delay.
By spring we will have already forgotten it.

Considering everything, I'd say a job well done.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 5:53 AM

I wish they'd started slapping penalties on late jobs at Ground Zero since day one, cause then we'd have half the complex done by now. Look at how fast the PA pulled its act together when it was pressed with a penalty threat. At this stage it looks like the piles may go in within just a couple of months, while earlier the site sat as a level piece of land for years.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 6:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
I wish they'd started slapping penalties on late jobs at Ground Zero since day one, cause then we'd have half the complex done by now. Look at how fast the PA pulled its act together when it was pressed with a penalty threat.
But that's only after work began on the site. Most of the delays were due to site planning and design fighting and revision. Once that was taken care of, Silverstein set his own design deadlines. I'm confident that once Silverstein gets control of the site, things will move at a steady pace. With all the rent he's paying the PA for the site, I'm sure he's ready to get tenants of his own in those buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive