HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 2:59 AM
Hong Kong

The USS Constitution was built in Boston and launched in 1797, as part of the country's new navy. It remains in commission, making i the oldest ship in the navy. Partnering with the National Park Service, it is open to the public for free tours and there is also a museum next door.

During the War of 1812, it defeated 4 British frigates, earning it the nickname "Old Ironsides" as enemy cannonballs could not break the ship's oak hull.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/boston.htm

Old Posted Jun 30, 2023, 2:16 AM
Hong Kong

When the first Europeans arrived in Boston in the early 17th century, the Beacon Hill area had 3 hills. A wooden beacon was built as a warning sign of invasion to the countryside, hence the district name.

In the 19th century, Charles Bulfinch turned Beacon Hill's southern slope into an upper class residential area for the rich and powerful thanks to nearby State House and Boston Common. Meanwhile, the northern and western slopes were more modest, home to the working classes, including freed African Americans.

Acorn Street is Boston's narrowest street. Paved with cobblestones and lined with majestic brick houses, this is a photographic hotspot and feels more European than American. In 2021, USA Today named it as one of the 10 most beautiful alleys in the world.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 3:44 AM
Hong Kong

Just a short walk from the Blue Line's Maverick station, Clippership Wharf is a rejuvenation project with new residential buildings along a beautiful waterfront featuring skyline views. Mindful of climate change and the potential for storm surges, the developer had set the lowest residential floors to be 14 feet above the current high tide with no ground floor apartments, while the system of flood barriers can be deployed quickly to protect garages, lobbies, and storefronts. Dubbed a "living shoreline", natural plants, marshes, rocky beaches, grassy embankments, and the like were incorporated to reduce storm wave damage and high tides.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 2:09 AM
Hong Kong

Peter Faneuil inherited his uncle's fortune and sought to leave a legacy to the public by funding a permanent central market. A meeting hall was added over it and Faneuil Hall was completed in 1742. Here in 1764, the Americans first protested against colonial taxation policies as they paid dues but had no representation in the British Parliament.

After independence, the hall continued to be the "cradle of liberty" during the 1800s with protests, conventions, speeches and more held here.

Across from it is Quincy Market, which was built as Faneuil Hall could no longer meet the city's needs, with wooden sheds set up around it. The mayor led the way with construction starting in 1825, and the new market opened a year later.

Built in 1713, the Old State House is the oldest surviving public building in the city. There was a merchants' exchange on the first floor while the colonial government's offices were upstairs, including the governor's. On the balcony overlooking the public square, Bostonians heard royal proclamations and also the Declaration of Independence for the first time.

The Park Street Church sits on what was Boston's town granary. Built in 1810, William Lloyd Garrison started his slavery abolition campaign here in 1829.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2023, 4:25 AM
Hong Kong

Here is a pot pourri mix of photos walking around downtown and the Freedom Trail.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 11:29 AM
Hong Kong

Wandering on the side streets near the North End and Quincy Market, I was surprised to find a street full of open stalls selling wonderfully-priced fruits, vegetables, and seafood.

I was also interested in the Boston Public Market, which had a few more upscale shops. Featuring local producers in a clean and modern setting, it was a nice stroll to explore the delicious seafood, alcohol, and more.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 4:13 PM
Hong Kong

Brattle Book Shop is one of the country's oldest selling used items with a floor dedicated to antiques and even an outdoor section where you dig through carts looking for treasure.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 2:43 PM
Hong Kong

Living out in the suburbs at Chelsea, it is an easy train or Silver Line ride into downtown Boston. The density tapers off significantly here and there is an industrial feel in this hotel neighborhood. Prices are great so I would choose this area again.

The Blue Line was on the news for running extra slow when I was in town. Frequencies are abysmal, but I was told many American cities run at such schedules these days.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 9:02 AM
Hong Kong

The 220 foot Bunker Hill Monument commemorates the 1775 battle where the bloody battle between the Redcoats and colonists took place nearby. After climbing up 294 steps in a claustrophobic environment, I was disappointed the windows were dirty so I couldn't really enjoy the wide views on all sides.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 8:16 PM

Great shots! Love Boston. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 6:38 PM
Hong Kong

Joana Vasconcelos installed a huge piece named after the Norse female war goddess to pay tribute to inspiring women at the MassArt Art Museum, a small but free facility along the green line outside of downtown.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 4:21 AM
Hong Kong

After the museum visit, I walked a few blocks to find a TimeOut Market, which had a more upscale food court set against an old seemingly industrial building that still looked rough around the edges. I had an early dinner and was quite impressed with their lobster roll.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
[size=3]After the museum visit, I walked a few blocks to find a TimeOut Market, which had a more upscale food court set against an old seemingly industrial building that still looked rough around the edges.
Not industrial--that was a Sears department store. Cool photos!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos