HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

125 Greenwich Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
What the heck are they thinking with they ugly crown or whatever they hell you want to call that top? It makes it oook unfinished.
I think that's the intent.... Industrial Chic....

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 4:34 PM
Ω

This building looks horrible. Even the interiors look like a 70s Marriott with the black aluminum window frames and giant black base panels along the windows. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 10:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I would of gladly taken the original design which was 432 Park but very glassy with the facade. Unoriginal and safe, sure, but... BUT... it looked better than the current version thats u/c.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 5:12 AM
Show me the blueprints

Yea this is dreck

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 1:17 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: NYY

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 3:03 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

New Renderings Surface For 125 Greenwich Street’s Final Design

Quote:
Of the new towers that have risen in the Financial District and Tribeca over the past few years, the design for 125 Greenwich Street, by Rafael Viñoly, most resembles 50 West Street, which is a few blocks to the southwest. That building was designed by Helmut Jahn back before the 2008 recession.

With rounded glass corners for the entirety of its rise, 125 Greenwich bears a very strong similarity. However, two ribbons of concrete will crown Vinoly’s tower, while also runnig along its northern and southern sides.

Construction is already speeding along, and the building will eventually rise 72 floors to its rooftop, with 273 condominiums within averaging 1,300 square feet apiece, as well as two floors of retail space.
==================
NYY

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 7:16 PM
Ω

How much farther can they zoom those renderings out? Should they get someone to snap a shot from the ISS to use as the backdrop? Usually in a rendering you make the building you're selling the focal point of the image...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 7:53 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I see where you're coming from with that third pano.

The first and second I would think are just supposed to provide a contextual synopsis, the third being a bird's eye perspective thing.

Other vantage points, street wal views etc. should be forthcoming.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 3:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
How much farther can they zoom those renderings out? Should they get someone to snap a shot from the ISS to use as the backdrop? Usually in a rendering you make the building you're selling the focal point of the image...
Hey, if you were that ugly, you wouldn't want a closeup either..

Anyway, this building serves as a counter of sorts to 30 Park. But the real show down there will be 45 Broad, at least until 80 South Street is revealed.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Seriously. The worst renderings I've ever seen. Hard to even figure out what building they are intending to feature.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 4:55 AM

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 5:35 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Seriously. The worst renderings I've ever seen. Hard to even figure out what building they are intending to feature.
The whole project during the soft cost stage was poorly planned, suffered dilemmas, design changes, and lackluster promoting of the tower.

Were not really missing much with this project. In theory the original design and plans were solid, although not creative as it essentially resembled a 432 clone with glass, but it was a safe bet. Not a fan of the direction the design and functionality that this has taken.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 5:17 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Were not really missing much with this project. In theory the original design and plans were solid, although not creative as it essentially resembled a 432 clone with glass, but it was a safe bet. Not a fan of the direction the design and functionality that this has taken.
Totally agreed. Sometimes simple is perfectly okay.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 6:59 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Simple isthe best of all possible worlds here.

I didn't like the sheer banality of this tower in its embryonic form (i.e. vapid ble glass crackerbox with joined-at-the-hip whitewashed monolith). It was for me a bitterly disappointing contirbutionfrom Sr Viñoly given his repoertoire.

But fast-forward to now, and IMO while it is less than what a lot of us were hoping for, it seems that way as if almost on purpose.

As I've suggested before, Vinnoly takes the simplest form a tall building can assume and does a surprisingly great deal with it without changing the shape at all.

This is no exception, to be sure. The (admittedly on my part minimalist) simplistic design here appears as a nod of gracious concession both to the impending presence of 45 Broad, and the visual balance to the Downtown cityscape that 80 South will provide...at least height-wise for now.

Hindsight being 20/20, the height diminution makes sense in light of what I just presented but also because---and think bout it---Wouldn't this tower at it's originally planned height have somehow detracted from the contextual in toto dominance that the WTC complex is meant to have in the first place?

At the very least, it would dishonor the Liebeskindian Upward Spiral motif that in the first place the WTC Center was meant to portray in a truly symbolic manner, i.e. true re-birth and not some kind of shallow, politically charged patriotic gin-up angle.

Last edited by Prezrezc; Nov 30, 2017 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 3:27 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: JC_Heights

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:29 PM
World Machine

Looking forward to seeing how this one will take shape … I'm optimistic it'll pan out ok in terms of design and aesthetics (which I think are better than the taller proposal). This project though really flies under the radar.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:48 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This and 45 Broad. I say the latter because due to its location, and the height of the surroundings, it won't be visible for quite some time until late stage construction where its close to topping off. That tower will surprise folks who are not aware of whats going on (your local resident or tourists or office worker who doesn't heed attention to real estate).

It wouldn't suprise me for people on Central Park South to look at CPT and Stienway and have not one clue of whats to come or their skyline altering attributes.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 2:10 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 12:28 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Tectonic

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction