HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 7:01 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
^I think that list proves that the 102 needs to be widened and upgraded desperately. I find it funny that only spot #10 has a proper collector/express system in place.
I absolutely agree with you there. I posted it more for curiosity's sake.

One thing we have to keep in mind is that many of these sections of busy trunk highway that show up in the list are actually local urban arterials with lower speed limits (usually 50km/h) so even the two lane sections, while congested, may not be overly bad. I'd still strongly consider upgrading the ones that appear in the list, knowing how King's Rd and Prince St (Tk 4) in Sydney can get and they're 4-lane. What I'm basically trying to get at here is that comparing 100-series highways and Trunk highways with similar traffic levels is like comparing apples to oranges because of the different designs, so that's why this list was more for curiosity's sake than anything else. That said, I plan on doing a similar list including all 3 levels of highways after I do the collectors, but again, we'll have to keep in mind the different design standards.

One of the things that surprised even me (which I noticed while doing the work for the 100-series posts) was how low the traffic was on Hwy 104 between the NB Border and Truro. I knew there were sections that were lower traffic, but given it's reputation for how busy it is, I was surprised to see for instance that only the section closest to Truro made it on this top 50 list, an only just barely at that. All the other sections of 104 that made it on the list are in the New Glasgow area.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces