HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 3:03 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
One can only hope. What Nashville is getting right with their airport expansion versus Austin Bergstrom, Austin counters with their enormous transit plan that passed after what, 3/4/5 times?
It passed on the third attempt.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
It does seem interesting to me that the many businesses and residents, that are moving to Nashville, do not appear to be the least bit deterred by lack of transit. Or maybe they’re just assuming that the massive influx will create a tipping point ?
I think we will see a large scale plan pass the next time it goes up for vote. Mayor Cooper put together a “plan” that isn’t much more than some more sidewalks and enhanced bus service. The only real “transit” included is a BRT line down Nolensville to Hickory Hollow Mall.

The East Bank plans seem to include dedicated BRT along the spine, which is shown to connect into a Murfreesboro Road BRT line that would terminate Downtown. They could hook up with an East / West line that connects East Nashville and the Nations / Bellevue, and could extend the East Bank line along West Trinity which is showing early signs of development.

Quote:
One can only hope. What Nashville is getting right with their airport expansion versus Austin Bergstrom, Austin counters with their enormous transit plan that passed after what, 3/4/5 times?
Thankfully the airport authority has continued to push through with expansion during Covid without really pausing. They are a little behind the 8 ball, which is why they’ve pushed the D concourse extension up the priority list (they have to move the current air freight operation to make that work), but they’ve got a pretty clear way forward for further expansion to 69 total gates once the new Concourse A, D extension, and satellite concourse are online. I’m excited to see what it all looks like once the new central security screening and shopping area, international gates and FIS, and satellite are open next fall.

Last edited by downtownNashville; Jun 12, 2022 at 3:26 PM. Reason: Added a second quote

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 5:21 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownNashville View Post
...but they’ve got a pretty clear way forward for further expansion to 69 total gates once the new Concourse A, D extension, and satellite concourse are online. I’m excited to see what it all looks like once the new central security screening and shopping area, international gates and FIS, and satellite are open next fall.
Apologies. I must have missed something. The FAA approved (in July 2021) a total of 65 gates by 2037. Was there an update since then to yield four additional gates? I'd love to see them crack 70.

https://flynashville.com/wp-content/...ernatives-.pdf

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Apologies. I must have missed something. The FAA approved (in July 2021) a total of 65 gates by 2037. Was there an update since then to yield four additional gates? I'd love to see them crack 70.

https://flynashville.com/wp-content/...ernatives-.pdf
The terminal with an expanded D + new concourse A would yield 61 gates(included in the linked file). The Satellite Concourse will include 8 gates, bringing the total to 69 at full buildout.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 12:10 PM

Our BRT here is nothing more than a bus running in the same traffic lanes as the cars. No dedicated lanes, so it is not a true BRT in the true meaning to clarify what downtownNashville is saying.

There are many times I have seen the regular bus on Gallatin Pike running right behind of, or in front of the BRT bus stuck in traffic. So, it did not matter which bus you were on, you will get to the terminal at roughly the same time.

Our bus system is worse than a bad joke.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 12:43 PM

Easy fix for transit woes: just let downtown office workers bed down where they work.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 3:07 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvilleron View Post
Our BRT here is nothing more than a bus running in the same traffic lanes as the cars. No dedicated lanes, so it is not a true BRT in the true meaning to clarify what downtownNashville is saying.

There are many times I have seen the regular bus on Gallatin Pike running right behind of, or in front of the BRT bus stuck in traffic. So, it did not matter which bus you were on, you will get to the terminal at roughly the same time.

It is a joke, and it drives me nuts how in the name of supposedly "saving money" we go with the half-assed version of freakin' everything... but if it doesn't really work like it's supposed to because you half-assed it, is it really saving you money? At that point, to me, you might as well not have built it at all. I really wish this city would actually invest the money and time into doing things the right way the first time, but they're practically obsessed with taking the cheap way out, which again, in my opinion, winds up costing us more money in the end because it then requires constant reworking, reconfiguring, renovating etc.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 5:10 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Easy fix for transit woes: just let downtown office workers bed down where they work.
I say to get back to the office. I miss seeing people get angry in person.

-sb

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvilleron View Post

I would hope to god that metro doesn’t waste money on BRT-Lite for the Nolensville Pike / Murfreesboro Pike, and East Bank lines. Dedicated lanes or don’t even bother, imo.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 5:31 PM

At some point Nashville will need rail. It's just a question of what type and how big to go.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
At some point Nashville will need rail. It's just a question of what type and how big to go.
Exactly, but the singular commuter rail line that runs to Lebanon is on a regional line versus what everything else that radiates out to say, Murfreesboro, Franklin, & Gallatin is all owned by CSX. The subdivision to the southeast (Murfreesboro) is one of the company's busiest lines since it connects down to Atlanta and they refuse to budge on things.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Exactly, but the singular commuter rail line that runs to Lebanon is on a regional line versus what everything else that radiates out to say, Murfreesboro, Franklin, & Gallatin is all owned by CSX. The subdivision to the southeast (Murfreesboro) is one of the company's busiest lines since it connects down to Atlanta and they refuse to budge on things.
They can only run that line only a certain number of times a day because Metro is too cheap to add the positive train control, or PTC, braking system automatically slows a train if it is exceeding set speed limits to the system.

The state will not do anything but hinder mass transit in Nashville due to politics. Thats a long story! But dedicated lanes on state highways is a no go unless there is a change to the state law thanks to the Koch Brothers and some of their buddies here.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 6:44 PM

Quote:
It does seem interesting to me that the many businesses and residents, that are moving to Nashville, do not appear to be the least bit deterred by lack of transit. Or maybe they’re just assuming that the massive influx will create a tipping point ?
That's because nobody cares except choo choo train junkies. The people coming here have their own personal transportation.

Nobody wants to pay for a mass transit scam. The places that have mass transit are dumps anyway, so why join them?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
At some point Nashville will need rail.
Why?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 7:01 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilism View Post
The places that have mass transit are dumps anyway, so why join them?
I'm interested in some examples of this opinion.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 8:31 PM

The places that have mass transit are dumps anyway, so why join them?
Is this a laughable attempt at trolling or serious idiocy/ignorance? Can't tell. What makes Nashville NOT a dump compared with Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, Salt Lake City, Denver, Boston, Seattle, etc.?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownNashville View Post
I would hope to god that metro doesn’t waste money on BRT-Lite for the Nolensville Pike / Murfreesboro Pike, and East Bank lines. Dedicated lanes or don’t even bother, imo.
Murfreesboro Pk, Nolensville Pk, and Gallatin Pk have had BRTlite for years.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 7:31 AM
Future God

Quote:
That's because nobody cares except choo choo train junkies. The people coming here have their own personal transportation.

Nobody wants to pay for a mass transit scam. The places that have mass transit are dumps anyway, so why join them?
Good God man you seriously need to get out of your bubble more. Practically every large city on planet earth has mass transit. They're all dumps, are they? I'll tell you the only ones that don't, really, are the ones too poor to implement it. So paradise on earth to you is, what, Kampala or Kabul I guess?

And let me guess, you probably whine about traffic as much if not more than any Nashvillian but due to your self-imposed political blinders somehow cannot possibly fathom the benefit of offering up to the general population an alternative option to the 'sitting in traffic for hours every day' scenario.

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Jun 15, 2022 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 1:11 PM

Quote:

Objectively wrong on every measure. I can't tell if this is just bad trolling or if you're just that ignorant.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 1:22 PM

Quote:
This is the great paradox of the post-2000s booms - most of the back-to-the-city revivals have been drive-to urbanism. Nashville, without a doubt, is a spectacular example of this. All of the new big multifamily buildings and all of the new infill home construction have adequate parking, and all of those residents have the money to own one or more cars. Outside of tourists, joggers, and dog walkers, Nashville still doesn't have much pedestrian activity or bicycling. People aren't walking to and from the bus stops to any greater extent in 2022 than they were in 2002.

I also believe that Nashville's DT and immediate environs have experienced an outsized influx of office activity and residential growth since 2010 because the city does not have a full bypass highway. Of course, Nashville sprawled like all other cities in the postwar era, but the sprawl can't get to the other sprawl in Nashville like it does in Atlanta, Louisville, Indianapolis, Columbus, etc., which all have full loop highways. That's why we aren't seeing many big suburban HQ's like Nissan. They need to be downtown or close to it in order to draw employees from the whole metro.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations