HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I honestly do not understand the disappointment here. Walgreens is a Chicago company. I love Walgreens. Why is this a letdown and a "huge missed opportunity"?
if you love Walgreens so much I assume 2 blocks north isnt that far of a walk for you. nobody "loves" walgreens. they tolerate it because it has put any notion of independent competition out of business and there are no other options. outside of getting prescriptions filled, are you really hard up for places to buy deodorant, Twix bars, and last months issue of Cosmopolitan?

Quote:
Were you wanting a micro-brew pub?
absolutely. god forbid the Loop shows some signs of life beyond chain sandwhich shops, bank branches, and drug stores

Last edited by Via Chicago; Aug 19, 2015 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I used to live near an elderly home on the North side and the number of old folks I saw walking by with those carts full of whatever they were out shopping for that day was impressive. If that section of society can handle walking to the store, then so can everyone else. Ironically a lot of more able bodied citizens prefer a car simply because it is convenient, not because it is impossible to shop without one. I think a larger portion of seniors shops this way than any other demographic because they tend to be in less of a hurry and might actually be more comfortable walking than driving because of their old age.

If you build stores where cars are not as convenient, plenty of people will switch. Let's also not neglect to recognize the advent of new services like instacart which do a VERY good job of almost completely eliminating the need to even go to the store at all.

Off topic promo: if you haven't tried Instacart, do it, it will change your life. Literally any product from almost any store shows up on your door usually within an hour or two for an extremely reasonable fee (which is invariably less than the cost of your time and travel). I used to be a member at Costco, but not anymore because Instacart shops there for me and I avoid $50 a year off that alone.
I tried instacart for the first time last night to get groceries/alcohol delivered from Costco. It's like magic!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 7:16 PM

yeah i live not from from those retirement highrises on Sheridan and you would be astounded at the number of elderly people making the 2 block trek down to Marianos with their carts. they might be slow, but theyre determined

i imagine at that stage of life, maintaining some form of independence means a lot. what a younger person may see as an inconvenience takes on a whole other meaning when the alternative is needing to call up your adult children to bring the car over to take you grocery shopping miles away.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 7:32 PM

I can't decide if Costco sized bottles or alcohol delivered to your door is a good thing or a bad thing......

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Walgreens is kind of lame, but the good news is, at least 7000 sf of frontage is still available for other retailers, so it's not all a lost hope.
Who wants to bet Chipotle will be the other tenant?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 7:50 PM

I have never owned a car in Chicago - don't need one as I live within a block of a grocery store. And yes, it's called making a good fucking decision because you're smart. Why would I drive 3 miles to go to a grocery store when I could choose to live in an area close to one?

I love being able to go to the store and grab something to eat or something to make dinner with. And I love the fact that it won't be sitting in my fridge for 5 days getting old. I can pick up a cut of meat and have it in my mouth within a few hours after, instead of collecting dust in my fridge for a few days.

Regardless, most of the world lives like this and most of the world has lived like this for a long, long, long time. This whole "Drive to a big supermarket to do your shopping for the next 2 weeks" thing has existing for a very short time in human history. And I'm not saying it's bad in general because if you are living in a non urban place, it's totally good if you can't produce your own food (aka a farm). However, to support a walkable environment and a vital one that includes all classes of people, we need to create more opportunities for people to shop at markets the way they have for thousands of years.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 8:52 PM

Current Walgreens locations:

Yes, please, add more. :eyeroll:

Closing the Michigan/Washington store would be a net positive for Michigan Avenue, since that space right across from the Bean could be much better utilized, but it still wouldn't make it any less ridiculous that there'd be 2 stores basically across the street from each other on State.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Yes, please, add more. :eyeroll:
Imagine that over an area of about 50 times and now you're in Manhattan.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 9:08 PM

I can imagine lots of awful things and be in Manhattan.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 9:15 PM

Quote:
I can imagine lots of awful things and be in Manhattan.
LOL. If there's one thing I wish Chicago had more of that NYC has it's definitely more bodega type shops. The useful ones though - not the small ones selling not much. I'm talking about the ones where you can go in and get basic stuff like dried pastas, tomato sauce, olive oil, and even basic fruits and vegetables (amongst other things they sell).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 9:26 PM

Yeah, drug stores sort of filled that role in the suburbs and strangely they moved into downtown without really changing up their business model. My apartment has a small store downstairs that has milk and dry goods and I usually pick something up a few times a week.

The loop still needs a full size grocery store. Latinicity might fill some of that need, but still.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 9:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Oh, and please spare me all the anecdotal "I do my shopping one bag at a time throughout the week and take the train just fine" bullshit. No family shops like that, so don't even try.
the great "Tom Servo Legacy of Pompous Ass-Hattery" continues........

my family does the vast majority of our grocery shopping without a car. i stop by devon market on my way home from work via bicycle to pick things up as we need them. and on saturday or sunday we'll do a big family walking trip to the grocery store, either up to devon market or over to the new whole foods on broadway, depending on what we need.

and we even own a car, but we choose to walk because i really don't like cars.

you don't know everything about how people in this city actually live, so don't even try.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 19, 2015 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Exactly my questions. The Chicago forumers on this page seem to be living in some kind of hyper romanticized idea of a city. Unless you live within a few blocks of a grocery store, car-less shopping just is not practical. Public transportation + grocery shopping sucks. I fell bad for the less fortunate that can't afford a car and are forced onto our busses and trains. Oh, and please spare me all the anecdotal "I do my shopping one bag at a time throughout the week and take the train just fine" bullshit. No family shops like that, so don't even try.
Well, as a group, we like cities, so it makes sense that we would like things that make cities good and not like things that makes cities worse.

I have a car and a private garage. It will often stay parked there for 10 days at a time as I bike to meet friends or walk to my dentist or to get groceries. I don't hate cars; I would hate to live in a place where I was forced to use mine.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 9:54 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
The loop still needs a full size grocery store. Latinicity might fill some of that need, but still.
Target not full-sized enough?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Target not full-sized enough?
Target is not ideal for fresh produce...

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 10:19 PM
Urbane observer

^Why not? It's not like they ship the produce in from Minneapolis or Guangzhou in boxes. Target has a complete grocery distribution center—including fresh produce—because they have Super Targets all over the suburbs. It's no different from Jewel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The city should have more markets scattered throughout and this wouldn't happen as much (having to drive or carry them on the bus). NYC, Europe, Asia, etc do these things right IMO.
Undoubtedly the State Ministry of Retail Establishment will soon be revising its regulations with this in mind.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 10:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Though this is why I have never lived more than 6 blocks from a grocery store since moving here. I have been walking/carting my groceries home for the last 2 years and counting. It works in the densest parts of the city, but I can understand that it wouldn't be so great in others.
Good for you.

Quote:
I've lived right near one for 6 years and love it. Never have to take any transportation other than my legs for that.

The city should have more markets scattered throughout and this wouldn't happen as much (having to drive or carry them on the bus). NYC, Europe, Asia, etc do these things right IMO.
Also good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
Eh, ok.

I am married with a kid. I shop at the Whole Foods at Fullerton/Sheffield a few times a week since it's opened, and I've only driven/parked there 2-3 times. I buy 1-2 meals at a time, so that it's easy to carry home.

It's a 15 minute/1 mile walk for me. Sometimes I take the Fullerton bus if it's cold or rainy. Sometimes I ride a Divvy if I'm not buying too much.

I own a really nice car, but it's a pain in the ass to go home and get it, then drive out to a grocery store.

My experience may or may not be typical, but I do know that the Whole Foods at Sheffield/Fullerton only has a handful of parking spaces and most people shopping there seem to be on-foot, but I acknowledge that there are a lot of DePaul students in that area supporting it too, and don't assume every grocery store in every location of the city should be this way.
Your experience is probably typical of a large amount of Lincoln Park. Again though, life styles in Lincoln Park are very atypical for the city as a whole. Incidentally, I grew up (for most of my life) within walking distance of a grocery store. Both my mom and dad always lived (and still do) within a mile (or less of) a grocery store, and we would do the same: some minor shit on foot here and there, major shopping always via car. Funny though, as an adult I almost (as in 99.9%) never walk the .6 miles to the Jewel down the street; wasting gas is just so much easy and faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
It's not that people think cars are inherently evil, it's that large surface lots create a number of issues in an urban environment and make it harder for people without cars to live their lives by reducing density in all forms. If a full block is taken over by large grocery story + large surface lot, that means a number of things: 1) people without cars have to walk further for groceries, 2) people without cars have to walk further for other items because there is now 1 block fewer people and/or services available in a given area. The lower residential density supports fewer walkable businesses, and the physical distance created by the surface lot means greater walking times.

Cars are very useful, but creating an environment just for them does feed into more people needing them, even if they'd really rather not spend thousands of dollars a year for a hunk of metal. Smaller stores located more frequently with limited parking enables people to live without cars and reduces the advantage of a car.
Hardly.

Quote:
I have never owned a car in Chicago - don't need one as I live within a block of a grocery store. And yes, it's called making a good fucking decision because you're smart. Why would I drive 3 miles to go to a grocery store when I could choose to live in an area close to one?

I love being able to go to the store and grab something to eat or something to make dinner with. And I love the fact that it won't be sitting in my fridge for 5 days getting old. I can pick up a cut of meat and have it in my mouth within a few hours after, instead of collecting dust in my fridge for a few days.

Regardless, most of the world lives like this and most of the world has lived like this for a long, long, long time. This whole "Drive to a big supermarket to do your shopping for the next 2 weeks" thing has existing for a very short time in human history. And I'm not saying it's bad in general because if you are living in a non urban place, it's totally good if you can't produce your own food (aka a farm). However, to support a walkable environment and a vital one that includes all classes of people, we need to create more opportunities for people to shop at markets the way they have for thousands of years.
Again, most of you guys aren't from Chicago. You've almost all seemingly moved here with this romanticized idea of what Chicago is, but it just isn't that way. This isn't Europe or New York City. The norm here is driving to Jewel (or Whole Foods nowadays if you're wealthy) and doing grocery shopping in the typical American fashion. The exception to the norm are those of you who walk a few blocks to Mariano's for a single meal. The Jewel over at Six Corner in Portage Park is typical Chicago grocery store. The Jewel over at Pulaski and Foster is a typical Chicago grocery store. The two Jewels I shop at (both in the very dense and walkable, Edgewater) over at Clark and Catalpa or Broadway and Berwyn are both typical Chicago grocery stores. Shit, I lived essentially downtown in high school, and we shopped at the Jewel on Roosevelt and Wabash or the Dominick's (RIP) on Canal. We lived literally a few blocks away from the Jewel on Wabash, and even still would drive the <.25 miles if we were doing major shopping. Obviously living that close to the store, you will often walk for many meals and minor shopping, but it doesn't completely eliminate the use of a car. That is, thinking that proximity to something dictates use of car is flawed. Most people in this city use their cars all the time for various things regardless of how dense their neighborhood is or how close the train is to their house. Period. But that's really beside the point. My point is, the typical middle-class Chicago family drives to the grocery store, and parking lots in front of them are no big deal. This idea that a grocery store's parking lot is harmful to the urban fabric or whatever is stupid. Sure, it'd be nice if all the big grocery stores were like the Jewel on Broadway and Addison or the old Dominick's at Sheffield and Fullerton (what is that now a Mariano's or something?)... yeah, it'd make for a better pedestrian experience or something, but come on. It's such a silly complaint to have. Just look at the Jewel on Lincoln and Cullom. Does its parking lot somehow disrupt the pedestrian experience or whatever you guys are all worried about? No. If you guys are looking for that idyllic, dense, parking lot-less urban area, then you picked the wrong city because that's New York or San Francisco.

Anyway, I read this forum often and never really comment, but you guys have some strange and rather trivial complaints about the ubran-ness of the built environment, especially considering how low the aesthetic standard seems to be on this forum...

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 11:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
the great "Tom Servo Legacy of Pompous Ass-Hattery" continues........

my family does the vast majority of our grocery shopping without a car. i stop by devon market on my way home from work via bicycle to pick things up as we need them. and on saturday or sunday we'll do a big family walking trip to the grocery store, either up to devon market or over to the new whole foods on broadway, depending on what we need.

and we even own a car, but we choose to walk because i really don't like cars.

you don't know everything about how people in this city actually live, so don't even try.
I know how I and everyone I know lives, and everyone we grew up with, and everyone my sister knows, etc... I never claimed to know how everyone in this city lives. Don't be daft. But I do know that the idea that MOST people walk to the grocery store is foolish. Period. It's really silly that everyone on this forum is trying to sell me on the idea that the average family walks over to their neighborhood market. Come on, Dan.

Also, the Devon Market is very much a NEIGHBORHOOD market. Of course very few people drive there. Again, the few are not representative of the norm. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading all this everyone walks or bikes everywhere non-sense. Jesus Christ.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^Why not? It's not like they ship the produce in from Minneapolis or Guangzhou in boxes. Target has a complete grocery distribution center—including fresh produce—because they have Super Targets all over the suburbs. It's no different from Jewel.

Undoubtedly the State Ministry of Retail Establishment will soon be revising its regulations with this in mind.
Target produce is pretty bad in general.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I know how I and everyone I know lives, and everyone we grew up with, and everyone my sister knows, etc... I never claimed to know how everyone in this city lives. Don't be daft. But I do know that the idea that MOST people walk to the grocery store is foolish. Period. It's really silly that everyone on this forum is trying to sell me on the idea that the average family walks over to their neighborhood market. Come on, Dan.

Also, the Devon Market is very much a NEIGHBORHOOD market. Of course very few people drive there. Again, the few are not representative of the norm. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading all this everyone walks or bikes everywhere non-sense. Jesus Christ.
no one said "everyone". you, however, said "no one" and got swiftly served.

im honestly not sure what point you're trying to make, and i doubt you do either. but enjoy trolling!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development