HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers
Er, wait, is Beverly Cleary still alive?
I should be doing work but am excited to get out of here for the long weekend and am not good for much today, anyway, Beverly Cleary appears to be alive. I say appears because I'm pulling the info from the internet not of personal knowledge. Wiki says she was born in 1916.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 9:14 PM

Chavez street name scrapped
Portland Business Journal

Portland city leaders have, for now, abandoned plans to rename a downtown street after Cesar E. Chavez.

The Portland City Council on Wednesday voted unanimously against the plan to rename Fourth Avenue, the street on which Portland's City Hall sits, after the Mexican-American labor leader. The council had floated the idea after North Portland neighbors had protested a previous proposal to rename North Interstate Avenue after Chavez.

In a separate vote, the council also rejected Mayor Tom Potter's Interstate name-change proposal. Potter and Commissioner Erik Sten backed the notion; commissioners Sam Adams, Randy Leonard and Dan Saltzman opposed it.

The argument first pitted Portland's Latino community, which had sought the Interstate name change, against neighbors who protested changing the street's name whatsoever. The council has contentiously discussed the matter. Potter walked out of a recent work session after stating that the other commissioners weren't taking his opinion seriously.

The council reemerged with the Southwest and Northwest Fourth Avenue proposal. The street runs through Portland's Chinatown section. Asian leaders and business owners along the stretch vehemently opposed the idea.

The television station KGW, a Business Journal news partner, reported that Portland's Latino community could reconvene its renaming committee in a few weeks. The committee could try to rename another street for Chavez.

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

If there are people determined to have a street named in honor of Mr. Chavez I suggest, again, 82nd Avenue...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 9:46 PM
Bears of antiquity

Far too much negative publicity around 82nd; and besides, isn't it also referred to as the Avenue of Roses?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 9:47 PM

They can name it "The Cesar Chavez 82nd Avenue of Roses".

Last edited by twofiftyfive; Nov 21, 2007 at 9:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 9:48 PM

82nd Avenue is now the 'Avenue of Roses'. Stupid to call it that...There would be huge opposition from the business owners, I'm thinking Easport WalMart Center, that have tried to change the 'image' of the street...by building a friggin WalMart no less...idiots. Plus 82nd runs through a couple cities and two counties. I have a feeling Airport Way is going to be their next target. Airport Way should be renamed for a prominent Oregonian since it is the gateway that most tourists first see in Oregon.

Let's see, how about Burnside, or Division?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 9:56 PM

Isn't Burnside named after someone? Maybe the whole renaming idea should be dropped for a long while. When they begin the debate in the future "just maybe" they should get a "large cross section" of Portland residents involved. Their vision(s) could then be presented to the city leaders for discussion and vote.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 1:54 AM

Good, the City Council voted it down. Fourth avenue simply is not a good street to rename under these circumstances. Maybe the citizen's of Portland could vote to rename streets in the future. (or at least people in the proposed streets' neighborhood) In other words, let the people decide next time! I liked how the Latino and chinese community were so active in voicing their opinions. Good for them.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 2:37 AM

I agree but I was under the impression that most of the Chinese population, and their business interests, had relocated out of Chinatown to other area's of the city...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 3:08 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

They could rename Division Street. That name sucks - and... I mean, if we're going to talk about racism, "division" is by definition the exact opposite of what human rights and equality is about so...

Plus, since only white people live on it, it would piss them off.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
Isn't Burnside named after someone? Maybe the whole renaming idea should be dropped for a long while. When they begin the debate in the future "just maybe" they should get a "large cross section" of Portland residents involved. Their vision(s) could then be presented to the city leaders for discussion and vote.
that was kind of my point when i mentioned max-weber-platz and avenue victor hugo. a huge number of streets in portland, including burnside, are named for people, but it's not obvious to anyone who doesn't take a special interest in it. here's to including first names in street names!!!!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 5:04 AM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
They could rename Division Street. That name sucks - and... I mean, if we're going to talk about racism, "division" is by definition the exact opposite of what human rights and equality is about so...

Plus, since only white people live on it, it would piss them off.
Oh man, good idea!

Up to the last part, but a good idea!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwroots View Post
Good, the City Council voted it down. Fourth avenue simply is not a good street to rename under these circumstances. Maybe the citizen's of Portland could vote to rename streets in the future. (or at least people in the proposed streets' neighborhood) In other words, let the people decide next time! I liked how the Latino and chinese community were so active in voicing their opinions. Good for them.
It was indeed good they voted it down.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 10:13 PM

im for renaming division

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 11:56 PM

That could work...if the people along in the "huge" area support the change..

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 12:15 AM

But there's song by Elliott Smith that talks about Division street... then what!?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 1:55 AM

^^^ duh! elliot smith street!!!!!! :-)

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate View Post
But there's song by Elliott Smith that talks about Division street... then what!?
heh, that's what I was thinking.

I really dislike the idea of renaming numbered avenues, which make it easy to orient oneself. Especially if you aren't from around here. Downtown you already have Broadway and Park messing people up. 4th is too close to those. If you rename any numbered ave make it further out. How about 15th ave on the eastside? In honor of ne gentrification. I mean just to get these re-namers to shut up...

In whole I think this renaming crap is ridiculous. Any idea who we can name nw23rd after? What about Hawthorne? Yea i know he was an actual person but that was a long time ago...

btw I love that 82nd ave is considered "avenue of roses"... I find it hilarious.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 2:16 AM
=)

Portland Metro Freeway/Highway News

I have been seeing trucks heading westboud hauling 30-40ton rocks (their weight is spray painted on the side) every morning while heading into downtown for more than a month. They look like size of rocks used to construct or expand a jetty? Or is there a huge project going out west we havent heard about? they have been traveling in convoys of 2-5 trucks.......

looks to be a massive project

Stop building out, start building up, BUT DO IT RIGHT the first time....so we dont have to come back and fix our mistakes 50 years from now.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 3:59 AM
Karma Police

Follow the trucks, maybe? Could be for the Hwy 217 widening just south of the Sunset.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 6:39 AM
=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Follow the trucks, maybe? Could be for the Hwy 217 widening just south of the Sunset.
they go beyond that, I get on 26wb somewhere between Shute rd, and 185th depending on traffic and my morning stops.....i have tomorrow off, i may grab my camera and investigate.

Stop building out, start building up, BUT DO IT RIGHT the first time....so we dont have to come back and fix our mistakes 50 years from now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure