HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 1:28 AM

Thanks Hoss. I wonder what the red neon on the front of the Fine Arts Building is advertising?
_____

below: I just came across this snapshot on eBay.

"A 1919 photo of a street car going down the street and turning a corner in Los Angeles California."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PACIFIC-ELEC...item1c4f96d770

Any idea what's going on with the cement 'barricades' that appear to be in the middle of the street?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 13, 2015 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 2:19 AM

...another 'mystery' location.

I am trying to figure out the exact location of this snapshot (it appears to have been taken from a moving car) -maybe

found on eBay, 03_07_2015

be sure to scroll right----> to see the two story building with the blurry 'coca-cola' sign.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 13, 2015 at 2:31 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 2:42 AM

Oh how I wish an address was included with this interesting snapshot dated 1910. (note the railcars in the distance on the right)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Edwardian-...item541b7d5caf

Here is the seller's description:

"4 Edwardian Ladies At Los Angeles That Lean To The Right Photo @ 1910"
__

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

You have the right building, e_r. Here's yet another picture of a streetcar at 7th and Figueroa. The yellow pole once had a traffic signal on top.

eBay

PS. What's the model of the station wagon below the "Rent A Car" sign on the far left?
Nash Rambler.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I am trying to figure out the exact location of this snapshot (it appears to have been taken from a moving car) -maybe

be sure to scroll right----> to see the two story building with the blurry 'coca-cola' sign.
__
Looks to me that the "Old Los Angeles" sign is over the north end of Olvera St. Looking SW across Alameda. And the building behind the car is the winery, that was discussed here recently. But, thats just me.

Casey

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. King View Post
Looks to me that the "Old Los Angeles" sign is over the north end of Olvera St. Looking SW across Alameda. And the building behind the car is the winery, that was discussed here recently. But, thats just me.
I thought it was old Los Angeles Street, but where's the Baker Block? The towers should show (?)

PS: n/m, I probably just placed the BB too far south. Lost in time & space as usual :-(

Here it is, in the HYWD FWY as usual: http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...d/21846/rec/21

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 13, 2015 at 7:32 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
HossC, your photo made me doubt my original identification of e_r's large white building. I saw the bend in the main rail line and thought I was wrong. The maps and street views all seemed to show that the S-line on Gage was straight, without bends.

But I looked at the 1952 aerial view:

HistoricaAerials.com

and saw that there were curves in the train tracks after all. "1" is where the car 1428 picture was taken from, and "2" is the point where car 1427 was photographed.
IIRC, these diversions were made to provide space for small structures that housed pumps in the center of the right-of-way. The pumps and the structures that housed them subsequently were removed, but I don't believe that the tracks were ever straightened.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 4:26 AM

[QUOTE=HossC;6947122] I fixed the code.

The description says it was taken on June 30, 1991. Both Google Earth and Historic Aerials have images for 1994, but neither has enough clarity to exactly identify the location. The image below is taken from the service road that now runs parallel to Metrolink station. The building in the foreground is the same as the one above.

GSV

The building in question is the Amtrak baggage and express department. Years ago that general area (closer to Macy Street) was the location of the U.S. mail sorting area, where mail arriving by rail was sorted and sent across the street to the Terminal Annex.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
The building in question is the Amtrak baggage and express department. Years ago that general area (closer to Macy Street) was the location of the U.S. mail sorting area, where mail arriving by rail was sorted and sent across the street to the Terminal Annex.
Thx, I always wondered what that building was.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:49 AM

Quote:

__
e_r:

I remembered seeing "Old Los Angeles" on a building that faced Calle De Los Negros and was billed as the "shortest route to Union Station" - I assume they made a sort of passageway with shops in it.

There is a photo way back on page 265, posted by... you!

And posted even earlier by gsjansen.

LAPL

So, I'm thinking the top photo is the back side of that building.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 6:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Tahoma"]

True that, but one could argue it was loosely based on a roman temple, which later became a church and became a church prototype. Have also heard the building likened to a wee bit 'o Monticello and various capitols. Like it or not, I think the idea was to start with something substantial. Let us pray . . . for more parking.

http://test.classconnection.s3.amazo...g/pantheon.jpg

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=...a_2006.jpg&f=1
Hey Bif, thanks, you make some good points.

Doug

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
But from 1913 on, Mr Zobelein (but not Brigida, she died in 1912) would have had a ringside view of the replanted Arcade Palm and may have witnessed the replanting itself (I do wish there was a photo of that).

I discovered last December that the Arcade Palm was actually replanted at least twice in Exposition Park: the first time in 1914, then moved again sometime in the late 1960s (and possibly also in 2003). Where it stands now is NOT where it was originally replanted. I have photographic proof.

I didn't post about this at the time because it seemed to me that people here were tired of hearing about historic palms, but I'll be more than happy to share my findings with you in PMs, t2.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 7:05 AM

Google Maps Ghost Signs

Is there an actual person or a dept at Google Maps deciding which buildings get memorialized? They seem so random to me.

Example:

google maps

And what about this one, is it just an error? The 1907 International Bank Building/Bank of Italy Building/LA City Health Department building has been gone 60 years, which is longer than it existed. I liked it fine, but I liked a lot of other buildings more:

google maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott View Post
I discovered last December that the Arcade Palm was actually replanted at least twice in Exposition Park: the first time in 1914, then moved again sometime in the late 1960s (and possibly also in 2003).
I am all ears (& eyes), but I'm not the only fan palm fan.

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 13, 2015 at 7:27 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
e_r:

I remembered seeing "Old Los Angeles" on a building that faced Calle De Los Negros and was billed as the "shortest route to Union Station" - I assume they made a sort of passageway with shops in it.

LAPL

So, I'm thinking the top photo is the back side of that building.
I like the 2 "Old Los Angeles" banners PM. Excellent.

This is probably too far south, but the trees are in the way otherwise. Did you mean (sort of) here?:

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
This one was labeled, "North Mission Road."

old file / pinterest
This is Mission Road looking north from Marengo. To the right is the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 10:59 AM

Back to the vintage photo:

If the photographer would have turned his head to the right, he would have seen the Los Angeles Department County Department of Coroner (1104 N. Mission Rd.)

GSV

When the Vintage Photo was taken, the brick building at 1104 N. Mission Rd. Was a administration building for the County Hospital. At the time of the photo the Department of Coroner would have been located in the Hall of Justice. The Coroner did not move to Mission Road until the early 1970s. The brick building did not become part of the Coroner's Department until about 10 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:

I thought I'd add this elevated shot across Alameda to the discussion. By the cars, I'd guess this is a little earlier than e_r's picture. The white building at the center of e_r's picture is different, but the others are recogizable. This also ties in nicely with the recent posts about the alley at the back of Calle de los Negros.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Here's the full picture. So much detail - I may have to look at this for a while longer .

USC Digital Library

--------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post

Nash Rambler.
Thanks Earl. It was familiar, but I just couldn't place it from the rear end. I think the color scheme threw me as well.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks Hoss. I wonder what the red neon on the front of the Fine Arts Building is advertising?
_____

below: I just came across this snapshot on eBay.

"A 1919 photo of a street car going down the street and turning a corner in Los Angeles California."

Any idea what's going on with the cement 'barricades' that appear to be in the middle of the street?

__
No way Los Angeles, Nor San Diego Nor CAlifornia- Someplace way back east
Cement is glue
CONCRETE makes good bollards as shown, and curbs and pavement and sidewalks etc

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 2:52 PM

Cement is glue?

Los Angeles was written in pencil on the back of the photo. (see below)

Of course it could have been mislabeled.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 13, 2015 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 3:16 PM

I just came cross this photograph again on eBay.

I remember posting this obscure snapshot a couple years ago, but we never figured out the location.
Tthe description on ebay simply says "Los Angeles 1920s, Auto Driving by Railroad".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOS-ANGELES-...item5671bbe254

Well, now that we have more 'sleuthing experts' visiting NLA , I thought perhaps someone might recognize this particular style of street lamp.
-the lantern shape on top, with twin globes below-

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos