HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark smith View Post
It's amazing how saint John is just filled with run down filthy shacks and they put up a stink for anything nice and new. Oh man the people are wierd as hell there.
And where are you from, good sir? Would you ever allow a simple Saint John man like me walk your glorious city's gilded streets? Farewell.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 3:53 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

After a lengthy public hearing, the 819 Millidge rezoning has passed first and second reading with Councillor Sullivan voting against.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
After a lengthy public hearing, the 819 Millidge rezoning has passed first and second reading with Councillor Sullivan voting against.
Big night for city - over $40M in the 2 projects. Gary Sullivan had no intentions of voting for it - re-election is his primary concern over what’s best for city.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 2:37 PM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
Tough decisions have to be made when you are in politics, i applaud the city council for their decision!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 8:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Big night for city - over $40M in the 2 projects. Gary Sullivan had no intentions of voting for it - re-election is his primary concern over what’s best for city.
Its amazes me why Gary Sullivan would vote against it. Like seriously this is why Saint John is a ''weird 3rd world Canadian style cesspool hell hole.Take a drive up waterloo street hill lately? OMG appearance wise it would be hard to find anything like this in the developed world.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Its amazes me why Gary Sullivan would vote against it. Like seriously this is why Saint John is a ''weird 3rd world Canadian style cesspool hell hole.Take a drive up waterloo street hill lately? OMG appearance wise it would be hard to find anything like this in the developed world.
Gary voted for an even bigger project that is literally a handful of metres above Tudor Lane - Noel Ave is double the apartments and on a residential street off a residential street in Millidgeville. The hubris from him thinking he know something the other 9 don’t know is sickening. He lives in the area so it could be Gary first, city second. I have no respect for him after that vote and public display at council meeting.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 9:40 PM

Quote:
I hear this kind of rhetoric often in this town but that simply isn't true. I have been to dozens and dozens cities all across the "developed" world and everywhere has a rough-around-the-edges area or two that is no better than Waterloo or any other part of Saint John people like to put down. Do these areas need help? Absolutely, but let's not pretend that our problems are unique in such a way that we are worse off than any other part of Canada, that is unnecessary and denigrates our value and perception both internally and externally.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Literally most of the cities in the USA have an area as bad as Saint John's worst.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Literally most of the cities in the USA have an area as bad as Saint John's worst.
Lawrence, Mass, Manchester, NH to name two, I have driven in both

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 5:58 PM
ハルウララ

We don't have to refer to US cities for this conversation - most cities in Canada have areas with severe poverty and homelessness issues. I will gladly tour any SJer around Toronto if they want to complain about systemic and generational poverty and homelessness. We need to do more to create and foster development on these issues rather than just moaning about them.

Saint John is a city of massive wealth inequality so it's not surprising that there's a few areas where poverty is at the forefront. However, unlike what some users here may believe, one street does not make a city, as does one neighbourhood not an entire city. Imagine if Halifax was only thought of as Cole Harbour or Spryfield.

Reminds me of the people that drive through Union on their way to McAllister and then wonder why the retail experience in the Uptown declined from the 70s onwards.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
We don't have to refer to US cities for this conversation - most cities in Canada have areas with severe poverty and homelessness issues. I will gladly tour any SJer around Toronto if they want to complain about systemic and generational poverty and homelessness. We need to do more to create and foster development on these issues rather than just moaning about them.

Saint John is a city of massive wealth inequality so it's not surprising that there's a few areas where poverty is at the forefront. However, unlike what some users here may believe, one street does not make a city, as does one neighbourhood not an entire city. Imagine if Halifax was only thought of as Cole Harbour or Spryfield.

Reminds me of the people that drive through Union on their way to McAllister and then wonder why the retail experience in the Uptown declined from the 70s onwards.
I couldn’t agree more. We can be part of the solution or part of the problem, up to us. It isn’t about the glass being half full of half empty, it’s just a glass. Just like families, we work with what we got 😇.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 5:28 PM

I just saw on the 'North Enders-Saint John' Facebook page that the former ScotiaBank on Main St. is about to be torn down.

Does anyone here know what will replace that structure?

o.o

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
I just saw on the 'North Enders-Saint John' Facebook page that the former ScotiaBank on Main St. is about to be torn down.

o.o
According to SNB, someone purchased the property for $249K including the large parking lot in behind on Jan 28
You wouldn’t pay that kind of money and not have a plan. I’m guessing it will be another new apartment building - mayor said on Facebook there are “many,many more” apartment projects coming soon.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
According to SNB, someone purchased the property for $249K including the large parking lot in behind on Jan 28
You wouldn’t pay that kind of money and not have a plan. I’m guessing it will be another new apartment building - mayor said on Facebook there are “many,many more” apartment projects coming soon.
Be nice if it had underground parking, ground floor commercial - something up-scale.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post

o.o
Drove by today and can confirm the building is fenced off and heavy equipment is on site.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 11:33 PM

Big name companies from across North America are interested in TD Station and The Canada Games Aquatic Center.

News Article Link: https://tj.news/story/101201317?ref=...fTIYDuSRlcw_uc

The Companies That Are Interested In TD Station Are:
  • Nustadia Recreation Inc.
  • JSM Sports Entertainment Inc.
  • ASM Global (who also manages Avenir Centre in Moncton).
  • Spectra.

The Companies That Are Interested In The Canada Games Aquatic Center Are:
  • Elias Management Group Inc.
  • StandGuard Aquatics.
  • Sports Facilities Management, LLC. and SFM Aquatics LLC.

Last edited by DyAm00394; Mar 3, 2020 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Big name companies from across North America are interested in TD Station and The Canada Games Aquatic Center.

News Article Link: https://tj.news/story/101201317?ref=...fTIYDuSRlcw_uc

The Companies That Are Interested In TD Station Are:
  • JSM Sports Entertainment Inc.
  • ASM Global (who also owns Avenir Centre in Moncton).
  • Spectra.

The Companies That Are Interested In The Canada Games Aquatic Center Are:
  • Elias Management Group Inc.
  • StandGuard Aquatics.
  • Sports Facilities Management, LLC.
  • SFM Aquatics LLC.
Interesting Elias management - future developers of Fundy Quay and part owners of city hall building. Curious what their interest would be - maybe building condos or apartments on top of it ??? JSM appear to be a newly incorporated NB company - I suspect it may be associated with the Sea Dogs as they expressed interest in TD Station

Last edited by cdnguys; Mar 3, 2020 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 5:02 PM

Are they being sold?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Are they being sold?

The city is looking for someone to either purchase and operate or lease and operate both the TD Station and Canada Games Aquatic Center.

Here is a non-paywall article on this: https://huddle.today/seven-companies...dHpR_P5J8Ac_2Q

Last edited by DyAm00394; Mar 3, 2020 at 6:55 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces