HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 4:45 PM

A tower crane is being installed at the west side container terminal for the port modernization project.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
A tower crane is being installed at the west side container terminal for the port modernization project.
they're putting in a couple new reefer towers

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 12:32 PM
Unregistered Loser

Pic showing the tower crane in the skyline.

Credit: Mine

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 2:33 PM

Starting June 8th the port modernization project will become a 24/7 operational with up to 100 workers on site at a time. Check out Huddle’s article -> https://huddle.today/they-are-the-si...tory-building/

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
Starting June 8th the port modernization project will become a 24/7 operational with up to 100 workers on site at a time. Check out Huddle’s article -> https://huddle.today/they-are-the-si...tory-building/

https://bit.ly/3f3r5xh

Here's link that was posted on the Port of SJ Linkedin page discussing the details of the project (I can't open it... it's blocked at my office )

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 1:09 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

A couple items of note from this month's PAC agenda:

- A Section 59 application at 134 Taylor Avenue (former Animal Rescue League property) to permit a phased 50-unit townhouse development. From the report:

Quote:
The future development would be a stacked townhouse development, in a series of buildings, focused around a central parking area and with an on site amenity area provided. The proposed building would be compatible with adjacent development in height and scale and phased over a number of years. The new development would be market rental for preliminary phases, although future phases may include affordable housing.
Site plan:

Elevations and floor plans:

I wonder if a modular build is being considered for this development, as all the major partitions seem to follow standard 13'x38' sections.

I never would have predicted that we'd see privately initiated market housing developed in Crescent Valley, so I'm glad a developer has stepped up to do just that.

- Second proposal of note is the continuation of the Rockingstone development off Prince Street on the West Side, with variances required to proceed with a 4-unit townhouse building.

Site plan:

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
A couple items of note from this month's PAC agenda:

- A Section 59 application at 134 Taylor Avenue (former Animal Rescue League property) to permit a phased 50-unit townhouse development. From the report:

Site plan:

I wonder if a modular build is being considered for this development, as all the major partitions seem to follow standard 13'x38' sections.

I never would have predicted that we'd see privately initiated market housing developed in Crescent Valley, so I'm glad a developer has stepped up to do just that.

- Second proposal of note is the continuation of the Rockingstone development off Prince Street on the West Side, with variances required to proceed with a 4-unit townhouse building.

Site plan:

In terms of the Taylor Ave. development, I think that would provide some true variety for apartments in that part of Saint John. It's pretty well all either 3 or 4 bdrm. units in that area, though, yes, it is public housing, but having the introduction of some private stock may raise the profile of Crescent Valley a bit.

Now, the public units aren't going anywhere. They'll be there for a good, long time to come. But I think that those properties may end up being cleaner than they were before MacLaren Blvd., Taylor Ave., Patterson St., Coronation Ct., Howard Ct., Belyea St., and Flemming Ct. got all their exterior renovations to help that area get some pop.

Maybe getting those places to look a lot better spurned the idea of private investment in The Courts? I hope it did.

If I were the company behind this new development, I'd also take a look at maybe filling in some spots where there were fires that, sadly, burned down some buildings. For Coronation, I could see possibly a curved structure that would make things at the end of that court a bit more intimate.

And for the gap that's on Taylor, get the same thing in there too.

And yes, all those who live in that part of the city would need to work together to keep that area clean, public and private. No resentment, no bitterness. Just a pure community spirit that would allow MacLaren Blvd. to become, possibly, a 'star' neighborhood within Saint John.

=)

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 4:06 PM

The excavator with the long arm that was used to dredge market slip is now parked up off of Mountainview on Rocca’s new Italian themed development. I also see on council agenda the renaming of street to the Italian street name he chose - something like Via Calabria . So hopefully sign this large building will start soon.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
The excavator with the long arm that was used to dredge market slip is now parked up off of Mountainview on Rocca’s new Italian themed development. I also see on council agenda the renaming of street to the Italian street name he chose - something like Via Calabria . So hopefully sign this large building will start soon.
That’s my area so I have been watching it daily since it was dropped off to see when they start. Very excited for this to happen!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 7:06 AM

I just read Section 12.3 of the Common Council Agenda for the June 22, 2020 meeting, and they've reached their final decision on which local arena will have it's doors permanently closed and then torn down by the end of this year.

The arena that is to go, after the 2 facilities of the Charles Gorman Arena on University Ave. and the Hilton Belyea Arena on Lowell St. were short-listed, is....

....the Hilton Belyea Arena on Lowell St.

The factors used to consider this, and the decisions for them, were...

Land Sale Price(Gorman)

Sustained Property Tax Revenues(Gorman)

Impact on Growth(Belyea)

Impact on Community(Belyea)

Stakeholder Feedback(Belyea)

...plus, West Saint John already has the Peter Murray(former Lancaster Centennial) Arena, which is near 4 baseball fields that, minus this summer for obvious reasons, see good use.

Not only is the Belyea Arena to go, but it's accompanying sports field behind it will also be disposed of by the city.

The target date for the site to be leveled is Dec. 31, 2020, the end of the year.

Just figured I'd pass that on. And it's probably not surprising news, but is still good to report.

o.o

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 6:05 PM
ハルウララ

Makes logical sense. Despite what the report states i'd imagine the Belyea is probably on more prospectively valuable land for use once the arena is arena is removed, either for industrial purposes or residential purposes.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Makes logical sense. Despite what the report states i'd imagine the Belyea is probably on more prospectively valuable land for use once the arena is arena is removed, either for industrial purposes or residential purposes.
For clarity, the arena names I put in the brackets were votes against. It means that in those 5 categories, Belyea lost 3-2.

o.o

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 2:38 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

In addition to the arena closure, there is also a recommendation in Monday's Council Agenda to close No. 8 Fire Station in Millidgeville in order to absorb the most recent round of cuts to the Fire budget.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 3:27 PM
ハルウララ

That's a decently prime piece of land.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 3:40 PM

Excavator digging now at Rocca’s mountain view area project

Last edited by cdnguys; Jun 24, 2020 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 11:49 PM

Energy East Down But Not Out

What better way to celebrate Canada's 153rd birthday than to hear Alberta oil is being delivered through the Panama Canal to Canada's largest refinery. Maybe someday this country will get it's act together and build a truly national pipeline.

Credit: True North Wire

https://tnc.news/2020/07/03/western-...hn-refineries/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
What better way to celebrate Canada's 153rd birthday than to hear Alberta oil is being delivered through the Panama Canal to Canada's largest refinery. Maybe someday this country will get it's act together and build a truly national pipeline.

Credit: True North Wire

https://tnc.news/2020/07/03/western-...hn-refineries/
Get your right-wing bullshit off this thread. We don't need Energy East or more fossil fuels expansion any more than we need a delightful article from that same site entitled KNIGHT: Racism in Canadian policing is imaginary, not reality.

Fuck off.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Get your right-wing bullshit off this thread. We don't need Energy East or more fossil fuels expansion any more than we need a delightful article from that same site entitled KNIGHT: Racism in Canadian policing is imaginary, not reality.

Fuck off.
Whoa! Somebody's triggered... your mom better just leave your KD at the top of the basement stairs today. Sheesh...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 9:41 PM

I used strong language, but does anyone want to explain why we should allow rhetoric from far-right extremist sites on here?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
I used strong language, but does anyone want to explain why we should allow rhetoric from far-right extremist sites on here?
Section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces