HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 4:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
If they plan on it being multiple rinks it could end up similar to the rink in Blainville - cookie-cutter suburban plot similar to (I suppose) what the Sens would have proposed. I guess the difference would be that the Sens would have proposed an arena suitable for them to play a preseason game in, or use as a potential practice/training facility. Not saying VMSO can't build something of similar quality but there would have been more of an assurance from a Sens bid.
Whatever VMSO builds (if they do build) will certainly be OK for a Sens' preseason game and occasional practices too.

It's just a question of whether the Sens will want to go there.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 4:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

If the Olympiques are without a home for a season will they be playing at Lansdowne or at Branchaud-Briere?
I think everyone will want to avoid having the Olympiques homeless at all costs. Even for one season.

BB only seats 1250 with another 250 in standing room.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Whatever VMSO builds (if they do build) will certainly be OK for a Sens' preseason game and occasional practices too.

It's just a question of whether the Sens will want to go there.
By the time the new Bob is built, we'll probably already have our NHL Arena and Sensplex at LeBreton.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 5:32 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

This would be a perfect location for the new Bob.

- It is right at the end of the A-50 making access from Gatineau very easy, easier than the current location. The parking entrance could be constructed directly across from the terminus of the A-50
- It is within 100m of the Montcalm Rapibus station which is the hub for that system
- It is also directly beside the Rapibus route, and associated rail route, should the Trillium line ever get extended over the Ottawa River.
- There is space for the multiple rinks and parking
- It is downtown and close to restaurants and bars

If they could incorporate elements of the Fonderie building into the design it would look great. While not far from the current location of the Bob, this spot seems somehow more accessible

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 6:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
This would be a perfect location for the new Bob.

- It is right at the end of the A-50 making access from Gatineau very easy, easier than the current location. The parking entrance could be constructed directly across from the terminus of the A-50
- It is within 100m of the Montcalm Rapibus station which is the hub for that system
- It is also directly beside the Rapibus route, and associated rail route, should the Trillium line ever get extended over the Ottawa River.
- There is space for the multiple rinks and parking
- It is downtown and close to restaurants and bars

If they could incorporate elements of the Fonderie building into the design it would look great. While not far from the current location of the Bob, this spot seems somehow more accessible
Agreed. There is probably a reason why it has never been considered.

Land ownership? Usage restrictions?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Agreed. There is probably a reason why it has never been considered.

Land ownership? Usage restrictions?
I would guess contamination, this was all factories way back. So the cost to perform a proper clean up would probably add too much to the cost of the facility.

Considering it is VMSO, I would almost be sure they will go with the A50/St-Louis location.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 7:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Looks like this project is going to get a reboot.

It still has to be voted on by Gatineau city council but everything points to a new arena for the Olympiques on Boulevard de la Cité near Boul. de la Gappe.

The complex would have a 4000 seat arena plus 3 community ice pads.

It's right next to the Rapibus' Station de la Cité, our main performing arts centre (Maison de la culture) and our main sports centre (pools and gyms).

I suppose the land where Guertin sits downtown will be sold off for residential and commercial development.

Article in French:
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/o...gatineau.shtml

Note that most but not all buildings in the rendering are there in real life. The new arena complex is toward the bottom right, with the main arena having a white roof and brown walls, and the community rinks the large rectangle with the grey roof.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 7:59 PM

Hard to get excited about the location in the depths of Gatineau suburbs. At least Robert Guertin was close to downtown. It is on the Rapibus route though.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 8:10 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

I hope there is a an associated proposal to actually replace the lost ice surface at Guertin with a new arena (preferably arenas) in Hull/Aylmer, regardless of it being home to the Olympiques or not. There is just flat out a serious shortage of ice rinks on the west side of the Gatineau River. Taking Guertin offline will leave just 4 ice surfaces for entire sectors of Hull and Aylmer. Between the two minor hockey associations and 2 skating clubs, there is already not enough to go around.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 8:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I hope there is a an associated proposal to actually replace the lost ice surface at Guertin with a new arena (preferably arenas) in Hull/Aylmer, regardless of it being home to the Olympiques or not. There is just flat out a serious shortage of ice rinks on the west side of the Gatineau River. Taking Guertin offline will leave just 4 ice surfaces for entire sectors of Hull and Aylmer. Between the two minor hockey associations and 2 skating clubs, there is already not enough to go around.
There most definitely is a plan and the political will to renovate or replace aging arenas all across the city.

I assume that the new arena complex at Place de la Cité will change things substantially regarding this plan.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 8:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Just confirmed. Rendering of arena façade with article.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 8:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
Hard to get excited about the location in the depths of Gatineau suburbs. At least Robert Guertin was close to downtown. It is on the Rapibus route though.
Well, in the context of Gatineau this isn't really "deep in the suburbs"!

It's in what you might call a secondary downtown, which is suburban in character it is true. Like what they tried to do at Centrepointe in Nepean or maybe downtown Mississauga. It was created by the former Ville de Gatineau before the merger. In addition to what I mentioned (theatre, sports centre), there are also government offices, an outdoor stage for concerts, a library, cafés, restaurants, a community health centre, a community college, daycares, etc. within walking distance in this area. It's still a work in progress but it's not dead. This will likely help it further a long a bit more.

As for the Guertin site in Vieux-Hull, hopefully it can become a nice inner city neighbourhood. A lot of people on Gatineau forums have said today that this is another nail in the coffin for the old downtown, but really... as someone said the old Guertin was in the Vieux for 50 years and it didn't do much to contribute to the vitality of that part of the city in the half-century it's been there.

A new use for the Guertin lands might help revitalize the old downtown more, as what that part of the city painfully needs the most is more *residents*.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 3:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Renderings

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Well, in the context of Gatineau this isn't really "deep in the suburbs"!

It's in what you might call a secondary downtown, which is suburban in character it is true. Like what they tried to do at Centrepointe in Nepean or maybe downtown Mississauga. It was created by the former Ville de Gatineau before the merger. In addition to what I mentioned (theatre, sports centre), there are also government offices, an outdoor stage for concerts, a library, cafés, restaurants, a community health centre, a community college, daycares, etc. within walking distance in this area. It's still a work in progress but it's not dead. This will likely help it further a long a bit more.
*residents*.
It is the suburbs of Gatineau, no different from any other suburbs since they all have some sort of a downtown core or a concentration of businesses. This is not only Centrepoint, you have Kanata, Gloucester, Manotick, Orleans, Stittsville in Ottawa, Brossard (South Shore) with Quartier Dix30, Decarie Boulevard in Ville St Laurent, Unionville in Markham, North York City Centre in North York, downtown Richmond Hill, etc… This is actually much more prevalent in the US with the donut affect.

Before amalgamation, every suburbs had a core area with their list of amenities such as pools, arenas, libraries, shops, banks, etc… and even today, every suburbs has a concentration of business, so that people do not need to leave the area that they either work or live in.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 4:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoods View Post
It is the suburbs of Gatineau, no different from any other suburbs since they all have some sort of a downtown core or a concentration of businesses. This is not only Centrepoint, you have Kanata, Gloucester, Manotick, Orleans, Stittsville in Ottawa, Brossard (South Shore) with Quartier Dix30, Decarie Boulevard in Ville St Laurent, Unionville in Markham, North York City Centre in North York, downtown Richmond Hill, etc… This is actually much more prevalent in the US with the donut affect.

Before amalgamation, every suburbs had a core area with their list of amenities such as pools, arenas, libraries, shops, banks, etc… and even today, every suburbs has a concentration of business, so that people do not need to leave the area that they either work or live in.
I know all of this. All I was saying is that by Gatineau standards this area isn't "the boonies", as was perhaps being implied. It's certainly not the "boonies" like the CTC location in Kanata was (or is).

Given the legacy of the hollowing out of our historic downtown core (Vieux-Hull) in the 70s and 80s, there are actually way more amenities in this part of the city than in the true "downtown".

Sad but true. Even if it is suburban in character obviously.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 4:50 AM

Quote:
I know all of this. All I was saying is that by Gatineau standards this area isn't "the boonies", as was perhaps being implied. It's certainly not the "boonies" like the CTC location in Kanata was (or is).

Given the legacy of the hollowing out of our historic downtown core (Vieux-Hull) in the 70s and 80s, there are actually way more amenities in this part of the city than in the true "downtown".

Sad but true. Even if it is suburban in character obviously.
I'll second that thought. The Gatineau Secteur is the largest of the secteurs remember, and that physical location is pretty much smack dab in the middle (of that secteur). Remember there is or was a master plan to create a "market" type area in the la Cite corridor - this is just a small part of that.

So is it the piece of land between 550 de la Cite (the office tower) and the old Brookfield office they are targeting with this? That is a fairly small piece of land. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 1:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman View Post
So is it the piece of land between 550 de la Cite (the office tower) and the old Brookfield office they are targeting with this? That is a fairly small piece of land. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Yes, this is the piece of land. It's oddly shaped but it's bigger than people think. If you look on Google Earth and compare the space taken up by Guertin and use the same scale for Place de la Cité, it's fine.

There are drawings of how it will fit in this presentation:

http://www.gatineau.ca/upload/newsre...tion.fr-CA.pdf

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 1:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman View Post
I'll second that thought. The Gatineau Secteur is the largest of the secteurs remember, and that physical location is pretty much smack dab in the middle (of that secteur). Remember there is or was a master plan to create a "market" type area in the la Cite corridor - this is just a small part of that.
It's even extremely central to the entire new city of Gatineau. You don't get that impression because everyone thinks that the Vieux-Hull is the "centre". Which it is... effectively.

But geographically, Place de la Cité is equidistant from the two extremities of the city to the east and the west.

It's 25 km from Buckingham in the east, and 25 km from the far end of Aylmer (Allumettière/Eardley) in the west.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 12:27 AM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
It's even extremely central to the entire new city of Gatineau. You don't get that impression because everyone thinks that the Vieux-Hull is the "centre". Which it is... effectively.

But geographically, Place de la Cité is equidistant from the two extremities of the city to the east and the west.

It's 25 km from Buckingham in the east, and 25 km from the far end of Aylmer (Allumettière/Eardley) in the west.
Geographically central perhaps, but not central to the population distribution. As an Aylmer resident, it's an unattractive location and (presently) not viable to access via transit.

Which leads to my next question - while the proposed location is close to a Rapibus station, how much of the population would actually choose to go to events at the arena via transit? None of the Rapibus stations in Hull sector are in particularly population dense areas, with the possible exception of UQO station, and any of the Gatineau sector stations are only 1-2 stops away. Will this actually stimulate more than a modest increase in transit usage to games?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 1:56 AM

Quote:
The City of Gatineau and the Ottawa Senators have been working for a while on a Sensplex proposal in le Plateau.

Oh, and Moderator, would you be able to change the title of this one?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa