HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 4:09 PM

Very Safe, like Chris said it's mostly the east side (where I grew up ) that has the trouble.

Elmwood and Allentown are wonderful areas; please spread the word to your friends in Hamilton.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 7:47 PM

I was just woundering about gates circle? any new news?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 8:34 PM

Biz First this week says the design for Gates will be out in January. Lots of good info. in the Journal this week!

Also says that Sidway is being sold to a NYC investor (no word on if it is going condo), and that Clover is still planning a project for the Schmidt lot, but it will be apartments.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective
Here's a jump-start. Biz First has a rendering of Paladino's waterfront village condo tower. 49 units, $260-$800k, starting construction next Spring:

Give Paladino credit for not building an exact replica of the tower that's already up like he's doing with the new townhouses lol.
it doesn't look that bad for a paladino project.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believeinbflo
Give Paladino credit for not building an exact replica of the tower that's already up like he's doing with the new townhouses lol.
it doesn't look that bad for a paladino project.
I'm praying that this building isn't mired in dark brown brick like the other in the Waterfront Village.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 11:57 PM

70!!!?? doesn't that sound a little high to anyone?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 12:24 AM
Closed account

thanks folks....glad to hear that from some locals.
I'm going to guess that the 'eastside' is the neighbourhood I drove through on Hwy 33 from the Walden Galleria Mall to downtown?? That looked like one heck of a neighbourhood...at least from the highway.
I'll be in town tomorrow with 2 Hamilton friends....I've been spreading the word on a local online urban development zine as well - www.raisethehammer.org
I love your city. Keep up the good work.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 3:30 AM

Raise- Yes, driving on the 33 takes you through some tough neighborhoods on the east side, but also one of Buffalo best and overlooked, Hamlin Park. Spread the word, we're on a slow path back, but many problems that need to be addressed.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rue B
I'm praying that this building isn't mired in dark brown brick like the other in the Waterfront Village.
Amen to that!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussell83
Very Safe, like Chris said it's mostly the east side (where I grew up ) that has the trouble.

Elmwood and Allentown are wonderful areas; please spread the word to your friends in Hamilton.
Well, MANY years ago, I moved on Summer St. (from The Perry St. Towers) and the area started getting Bad, but then, I did move there!?.. That might have had a little something to do with it. but that was 40 years ago Raise, so, you should be fine.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 2:50 PM
Closed account

cool...thanks everyone. just did a last minute check of the weather radar to make sure we don't get stuck in one of your famous lake blizzards....
sorry to interupt your development forum to ask questions....although I guess having tourists come from out of town is certainly a vital part of development.
we should do a 'buffalo-hamilton' exchange type of program where we encourage people from each city to check out the other.
i think we both get overlooked by flashy toronto too often.

anyhow...thanks
cheers

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer
we should do a 'buffalo-hamilton' exchange type of program where we encourage people from each city to check out the other.

anyhow...thanks
cheers

Amen to that. I like to idea of the exchange. I'm working with some people on a Buffalo / Toronto exchange, Hamilton would be interesting .
Lets get something going, email me at mark@mrussell.us.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halovet
Amen to that!
Apparently the red theme will continue- this is the rendering for the townhomes (courtesy of TheStip). Can't imagine they'd go with something different for the tower.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective
Apparently the red theme will continue- this is the rendering for the townhomes (courtesy of TheStip). Can't imagine they'd go with something different for the tower.

God forbid we spice up the waterfront! I mean, THIS IS BUFFALO DAMIT, not Seattle.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 3:09 PM

Did Brown really say this? I guess he did!

Developer eyes offices at foot of Church St.

By SHARON LINSTEDT
News Staff Reporter
12/3/2006

An Orchard Park developer is proposing to construct a new office building at the foot of Church Street downtown.

The Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency has named Peter Krog designated developer for a vacant piece of city-owned property at 166 Church St., behind the Adam's Mark hotel. Krog plans to build a four- to six-story office complex in the $11 million to $17 million price range.

Mayor Byron W. Brown, who serves as urban renewal agency chairman, said while he likes the project and the building, he could not vote in favor of it. "I'm deeply concerned about the loss of parking downtown. I will have to vote "no,' " Brown said.

Taking a cue from the mayor, agency members gave Krog a green light to proceed with plans as designated developer, but added a requirement for a parking study.

_____

Yah, that's what downtown is lacking, surface parking lots!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 5:35 PM

Just emailed Mayor Brown with my two cents on parking, I suggest you ALL do the same:
Here is the address mszczepaniec@city-buffalo.com (from the city website)

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 8:47 PM

wow, all i can say is wow. There is no way he can be serious.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 9:58 PM

Seems like some of the other competing developers might have gotten Byron's ear on this one.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 6:43 AM
try being in the Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer
cool...thanks everyone. just did a last minute check of the weather radar to make sure we don't get stuck in one of your famous lake blizzards....
sorry to interupt your development forum to ask questions....although I guess having tourists come from out of town is certainly a vital part of development.

anyhow...thanks
cheers

Raise

Check out the Buffalo rising Blog Magazine especially the city channel. I think you would like it buffalorising.com

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 4:35 PM

Commercial property boosts assessments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'I view it as positive news. . . . Downtown is back.' - BRUNA MICHAUX

By BRIAN MEYER and SHARON LINSTEDT
News Staff Reporters
12/3/2006

Strong home sales in some Buffalo neighborhoods and new investment downtown are expected to result in thousands of property owners paying larger tax bills next July.
More than 12,000 homeowners and nearly 800 businesses started receiving letters Friday, announcing that the city has increased their assessments. About 15 percent of all properties in the city would see increases, although owners have the right to challenge new assessments. Another 2 percent would see decreases.

The tentative changes would add $807.6 million to the value of properties in Buffalo, including a $561.4 million increase in the value of commercial properties.

Most of the increase in commercial value occurred downtown, said Bruna Michaux, Assessment and Taxation commissioner.

"I view it as positive news," she said. "It's obvious that investors are optimistic about downtown Buffalo. Downtown is back."

Most properties in the business district haven't been reassessed in more than five years, she added.

The current value of all taxable land in the city is $5.7 billion. An additional $807.6 million in value would represent a 14 percent increase.

A look at assessment changes along downtown's Main Street provides a snapshot of the notices many businesses are finding in their mailboxes. Of 80 properties from the foot of Main Street through the 900 block, 15 saw their assessed valuations rise by more than $1 million.

Buffalo's tallest and most expensive office tower, the HSBC Center, leads the pack. The complex, which was sold to a New York City investment group for a record $85 million in 2005, is now assessed at $84 million, up from $50.77 million.

M&T Bank, which has two major buildings on Main Street, also saw steep increases. The assessment of the bank's headquarters building climbed from $12.7 million to $24 million, while its M&T Center complex, in the 500 block, saw a valuation leap from $16.5 million to $30.5 million.

It's premature to speculate on the impact of the increased values, said Keith Belanger, M&T's senior vice president for corporate services.

"We don't know what they mean in terms of the tax rate and individual tax bills," he said. "As long as they've been reasonably uniform in their assessment approach and we're all up, the fiscal impact will be spread among many property owners."

The increased valuations seem to show an improvement in downtown's business climate, said Belanger, who chairs Buffalo Place.

"This hopefully quantifies improved conditions downtown. It's something we've sensed, but this puts numbers to that observation," he added.

Not all property owners are upbeat about their revaluations.

Pat Hotung, of Main Place-Liberty Group, which owns the Main Place Mall and Tower, as well as the Liberty Building, said he doesn't even need to see the update to know it's off base.

The new assessment pegs the value of Hotung's properties at $29.7 million, up from $20.2 million.

"We will vigorously challenge any and all attempts to increase our assessments," said Hotung, who faces a vacancy rate approaching 50 percent in his properties.

A few thousand homeowners would see valuations increase by at least $10,000. Hundreds who live in upscale neighborhoods would see valuations increase by anywhere from $40,000 to $325,000. Howard T. Saperston Jr., who runs Saperston Real Estate, is one such example. The assessment on his Morris Avenue home would increase by $93,400 - or 33 percent. He thinks the new $373,400 assessment is too high and will likely challenge it.

Saperston said it's clear Buffalo is "significantly more healthy than it was" and that property values have been increasing.

"But the flip side is whether they're also doing this to balance the budget," he said, noting that raising assessments can be a back-door way of raising taxes.

At the current tax rate, every $10,000 increase in assessment would raise city tax bills by $207.50.

About 1,600 homeowners and 142 commercial properties would see assessment reductions, including some who live on affluent streets such as Nottingham and Middlesex.

"This only proves that we're doing our job. We just don't go out and raise everyone's assessments," Michaux said. "We don't determine the market value of properties. Buyers and sellers determine market values." Property owners have until Jan. 2 to file challenges. The Board of Assessment Review will hold hearings in January and February, then make decisions by the March 1 deadline for finalizing valuations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations