HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:27 PM
Space Magi

Oh I agree with that delts. SLC punches far above its weight in terms of transit (for a US city). There's a lot to look forward to on that front too, with an overhaul of SL Central (or Rio Grande revival!), TRAX and streetcar expansions, new BRT lines, tons of TOD, FrontRunner double tracking/extensions, and Cottonwood canyons transit projects all in the works at various stages. On top of that, we have a beautiful new airport that already pulls in more traffic than all of the cities that I mentioned previously and it's directly connected to downtown via TRAX. We have a lot to look forward to on the Wasatch Front! Let's hope our leaders can be smart in handling the growth that's coming.

I don't know if you all have noticed, but we also punch far above our weight in terms of representation on this forum Aside from delts doing daily updates on the compilation thread (much appreciated!), we have a remarkable number of unique users that post in this thread. When things normalize a bit more, maybe we should do a forum meetup!

Finally, here's an update on 95 State and Liberty Sky (from 5 minutes ago)

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Nashville and Austin are clearly in a league of their own right now, but on top of dozens of new midrises and a brand new airport, the list of towers in progress in SLC is really getting impressive for a city of its size.
  • 95 State at City Creek - 28 floors - 395 ft
  • Hyatt Regency - 26 floors - ~320 ft
  • Liberty Sky - 24 floors - 262 ft
  • 255 S. State - 13 floors
  • Kensington Tower - 39 floors - 448 ft
  • Utah Theater Tower - 32+ floors - 450 ft
  • 370 S. West Temple - 28 floors - 400+ ft
  • Regent St. Hotel revival - ?? floors - 330+ ft
  • Block 67 Phase II - 3+ towers - 300+ ft
  • RL Hotel Development - 17 floors + multiple midrises
Considering that our peer cities (by population) are places like Buffalo, Jacksonville, Sacramento, and Louisville, I think SLC really stands out in terms development.

Plus we have the best mountain views of any urban area in the US, so our skyline is already better than all of these places
This is awesome I agree. Thanks for typing all of those out, it really does put it into perspective. I just hope they all happen! And I hope we get a 500+ ft. signature tower in there at some point....

And it's nice to know that someone has taken over the Held property and still plans a similar development.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:14 PM

The second tower crane at the CCH should be going up this weekend. One more crane added to the skyline!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:30 PM

Wow so much is happening in such a short time. So that is now 3 or 4 towers under construction, and what, another 4 or 5 proposed? How do we get this on the diagram page?

Not sure if I mentioned it before, but there is a 20-30 story mixed use/office tower proposed near 450 S and main that has some pretty incredible geometry... Unfortunately I was asked not to share renderings or names. But think Bank of America in New York style geometry.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:30 PM

Anyone know how many floors have already been poured on the elevator core at City Creek?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:38 PM
One Thing At A Time

From just counting floors from the picture above it looks like 95 State has another 8-10 floors to be added to that core. Liberty Sky looks like it’s only half of what it will be when finished.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
Wow so much is happening in such a short time. So that is now 3 or 4 towers under construction, and what, another 4 or 5 proposed? How do we get this on the diagram page?

Not sure if I mentioned it before, but there is a 20-30 story mixed use/office tower proposed near 450 S and main that has some pretty incredible geometry... Unfortunately I was asked not to share renderings or names. But think Bank of America in New York style geometry.
Wow this is amazing news. Yet another upcoming tower, and the BOA tower in NYC is awesome. That would look excellent. This and the 370 West Temple proposal would help to fill in the gap between the WF Building and the Grand America in the skyline. Our skyline is now stretching East, West, and South.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:47 PM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
So 5th and Main would either be a chunk of the giant surface level parking lot that takes up an entire city block or the empty lot right next to the new DA’s office. Either way a 20-30 story building that far south would certainly expand the downtown core. There isn’t much height past fourth. Would love to see another Spire in the skyline too! Here’s hoping!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Considering that our peer cities (by population) are places like Buffalo, Jacksonville, Sacramento, and Louisville, I think SLC really stands out in terms development.
SLC is doing great, I'd feel better counting these once cranes are up for all of them but it's good energy! I think it's a disservice comparing the high growth Wasatch Front CSA of 2.5M people to these regions. SLC is the 22nd largest CSA, it is the hub of this population center and the entire state of Utah along with parts of Idaho and Wyoming plus Northern Nevada. Buffalo by comparison has 1.2M in the CSA defined region and is nearby mega city Toronto. Jacksonville has a grand total of 680K in it's CSA and really can't hold a candle to the power cities in Florida. Louisville has around 1.5M but competes with nearby Cincinnati, Columbus and Indianapolis. Sacramento is close enough to almost be a suburb of the greater bay area.

I think more accurate comparisons are equal size regions that are also high growth. Charlotte, San Antonio, Nashville, Columbus, Las Vegas, Portland and on the high end of the comparison scale Denver.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:08 PM
One Thing At A Time

After years on this forum I’ve definitely learned not to count my chickens before they’ve hatched but Between 95 State, the CCH, Liberty Sky, and two towers rising on block 67 we have 5 towers currently under construction. Salt Lake used to get one of these projects per decade. Certainly exciting times!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Nashville and Austin are clearly in a league of their own right now, but on top of dozens of new midrises and a brand new airport, the list of towers in progress in SLC is really getting impressive for a city of its size.
  • 95 State at City Creek - 28 floors - 395 ft
  • Hyatt Regency - 26 floors - ~320 ft
  • Liberty Sky - 24 floors - 262 ft
  • 255 S. State - 13 floors
  • Kensington Tower - 39 floors - 448 ft
  • Utah Theater Tower - 32+ floors - 450 ft
  • 370 S. West Temple - 28 floors - 400+ ft
  • Regent St. Hotel revival - ?? floors - 330+ ft
  • Block 67 Phase II - 3+ towers - 300+ ft
  • RL Hotel Development - 17 floors + multiple midrises

Plus we have the best mountain views of any urban area in the US, so our skyline is already better than all of these places
If sacramento is a population peer, then so are Nashville and austin

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
SLC is doing great, I'd feel better counting these once cranes are up for all of them but it's good energy! I think it's a disservice comparing the high growth Wasatch Front CSA of 2.5M people to these regions. SLC is the 22nd largest CSA, it is the hub of this population center and the entire state of Utah along with parts of Idaho and Wyoming plus Northern Nevada. Buffalo by comparison has 1.2M in the CSA defined region and is nearby mega city Toronto. Jacksonville has a grand total of 680K in it's CSA and really can't hold a candle to the power cities in Florida. Louisville has around 1.5M but competes with nearby Cincinnati, Columbus and Indianapolis. Sacramento is close enough to almost be a suburb of the greater bay area.

I think more accurate comparisons are equal size regions that are also high growth. Charlotte, San Antonio, Nashville, Columbus, Las Vegas, Portland and on the high end of the comparison scale Denver.
This is very wrong. Jacksonville is 1.7 million in csa

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:40 PM

Greenprint Gateway Apartments - Design Review

A lot more mundane than the projects we have been discussing, but Greenprint Gateway Apartments has filed for a Design Review. https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

This is located on the same block as the existing Gateway 505 apartments (aka Alta Gateway (completed 2017)), the proposed projects of CINQ, Casa Milagro, and Alta Depot as well as the under construction Centro Civico. Should all these projects be built, only two small historic buildings (on 200 South) will remain on the block (except the one building being integrated into CINQ).

6 floors. 150 residential units. groundfloor commercial space.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:45 PM
Space Magi

Worth noting is that this project is directly west of the CINQ project on page 409.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post

I think the cities you suggest are more apples-to-oranges than the ones I suggested. Growth is what we are comparing so it doesn't really make sense to directly compare with obviously larger cities like Charlotte, Nashville, San Antonio, etc. just because they're growing too. Also, Jacksonville CSA is 1.6M+ not 680K.

MSA is a better metric for comparison than CSA, imo, so the best comparison is cities in the 1.0-1.5 million range. Geography is certainly a major reason SLC is outperforming similar MSAs like Jacksonville, Buffalo, Richmond, and Louisville. These also seem like cities that currently have a similar level of national clout to me as SLC does, but obviously that's subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
If sacramento is a population peer, then so are Nashville and austin
Fair point, I probably should not have included it

Last edited by Atlas; Sep 28, 2020 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
After years on this forum I’ve definitely learned not to count my chickens before they’ve hatched but Between 95 State, the CCH, Liberty Sky, and two towers rising on block 67 we have 5 towers currently under construction. Salt Lake used to get one of these projects per decade. Certainly exciting times!
I agree that it has been some exciting times.

I know we talked about it before but I think it should be mentioned again. City Creek Center was a game changer for SLC. Once things started to move with CCC, we have seen changes coming faster and faster.

I will concede that some of it may have happened anyway but not all.

Here is a list off the top of my head for the skyline changes since 2007 (200' and up):

1. Key Bank demolition
2. Promontory (99W South Temple)
3. The Regent
4. 222 S. Main

This gets us to approximately 2013, from then we have:

5. 111 S Main
6. 95 S State
7. Liberty Sky
8. CCH

This brings us to 2020. For 2021 to 2025, if all goes as planned currently, we will see:

9. Block 67 Phase 2 - Commercial
10. Block 67 Phase 2 - Residential
11. Utah Theater tower
12. Kensington Tower
13. Regent Street Hotel
14. 450 S Main Tower
15. 370 South West Temple

I know that there are also some additional towers that are planned but are not yet able to be made public.

I also wanted to point out that 7 of the above towers are primarily Residential (bolded). This is also something that should be mentioned.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 8:45 PM
One Thing At A Time

Love all the residential high rises. Downtown will finally start getting the density it deserves.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 8:47 PM

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 9:28 PM

Thanks Orlando, Love looking at those massings!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 11:19 PM

Just got a comment on a post I posted on the r/DevelopmentSLC subreddit saying this:
Quote:
Add this to the pipeline. The word is out on SLC!
Also hearing rumors that the owner of the Tavernacle site (NE corner of 200 E and Broadway) is shopping for contractors to push forward a high-rise residential tower. Rumor is \~30 stories and groundbreaking next year.
Good news for Keys on Main!
Wondering if anyone has info about this here?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 11:49 PM
Space Magi

Fantastic! What a great week for SLC skyscraper news! New renderings for Utah Theater Tower, news and renderings of 370 S. West Temple, and talk of three or more new 20-30 story towers on top of that! (450 Main, Regent St. Hotel, and Tavernacle)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West