HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 3:16 PM

Centre Slush Puppie [500 de la Cité, Gatineau] | 4000 seat arena | Completed

Does anyone have any details of the new arena that is set to open sept 2010.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 3:17 AM
National Capital Region

[Gatineau] Centre Multifonctionnel | 4000 seat arena | Approved

Gatineau council proposes $79M arena plan
Downtown facility to be completed by 2012, mayor says

BY DAVE ROGERS, THE OTTAWA CITIZEN JUNE 30, 2010 11:02 PM BE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...791/story.html

Gatineau’s proposed Centre Multifonctionnel is shown from the perspective of Montcalm and Wright streets.
Photograph by: Artist’s Conception

After trying for years to repair or replace the Robert Guertin Arena, Gatineau council on Wednesday decided on a new $79-million arena that will require the expropriation of a city block in downtown Hull.

For now the building is called the “Centre Multifonctionnel” instead of the Robert Guertin Arena because it will be the home of the Gatineau Olympiques hockey team and also provide space for music concerts and, possibly, trade shows.

The 5,000-seat arena will occupy the block bounded by Montcalm, Wellington, Eddy and Wright streets and will require the expropriation of a furniture store, parking lot and a building owned by the Université du Québec en Outaouais.

Mayor Marc Bureau said it was expected the new arena would be completed in 2012.

“We wanted to keep the arena in the centre of the city,” Bureau said. “We want people to spend money downtown to revitalize the area.

“Gilles Desjardins of Brigil Construction proposed an arena in Point-Gatineau, but there is nothing there. We want to keep the money downtown.”

Bureau said the federal and provincial governments hadn’t yet agreed to help pay for the arena, but city officials will meet next week with federal and provincial counterparts to discuss subsidies.

Gatineau councillors hope the federal and provincial governments will pay $52.7 million, or two-thirds of the cost, with the city paying $26.3 million.

The mayor said the city would call tenders for the design and construction of the building. He said the Olympiques may be concerned about the lack of parking, but the arena will be near a Rapibus station and there will be enough parking if the federal government allows hockey fans to use spaces occupied during the day by the vehicles of public servants.

The decision to replace the present 3,182-seat arena on Rue Carillion, built in 1957, comes two years after Bureau announced a plan to refurbish the facility in partnership with the Olym-piques. However, Nathalie Normandeau, then Quebec’s municipal affairs minister, vetoed the renovation plan in May 2009 because the city had not called for tenders.

Most city councillors said the construction of the arena was the start of the city’s plan to bring new life to downtown and to develop Montcalm as Gatineau’s cultural boulevard.

“My family had a house on Wellington Street, and I remember how lively it was there,” Councillor Joseph De Sylva said. “But the government buildings killed centretown, and all the stores on Boulevard du Portage moved to Les Galleries de Hull.

“There will be shows at the arena during the summer, and people will visit the restaurants. During the winter, there will be hockey and concerts.”

De Sylva said the city would also keep the name of Robert Guertin “somewhere in the building in memory of the man who was a great volunteer in the community.”

Stéphane Cayer, co-owner of Vice Versa, a furniture store now on the site, said he had not heard about the new arena until just before Wednesday’s meeting and refused to comment on the impending expropriation.

Officials from the Olympiques did not attend the meeting.

Marjorie Vallée, a spokeswoman for the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League club, said team president Alain Sear could not say anything about the new arena proposal because he was in Florida and hadn’t seen plans for the building.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 3:30 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Gatineau seems to be getting things right these days. I wonder if they've looked to Ottawa as an example of how NOT to run a city. If only Gatineau had regional rail and/or LRT. That would be so delightfully progressive.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 4:12 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

This could be excellent news. Note however that the francophone media, unlike the Citizen, are not implying that this is a done deal, but rather that Gatineau is looking to relocate Guertin on this site. The current Guertin site is to be redeveloped with residential if the plan goes ahead.

I have been following this issue for some time, and although some people may have been in the know, it seems like the new site came pretty much out of the blue. I think that even the Olympiques may have been surprised.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 10:25 AM

Done deal or not its really amazing how gatineau gets things done.Take the 3 new goverment buildings the rapid transit the 2 new sports complexes .I am sure there are other projects in the works as well.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 1:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
Done deal or not its really amazing how gatineau gets things done.Take the 3 new goverment buildings the rapid transit the 2 new sports complexes .I am sure there are other projects in the works as well.
We are supposed to be getting a new central library in the same vicinity as this proposed arena site along Montcalm.

Article in French from this spring:
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-droit/a...ntre-ville.php

Also on the drawing boards is a museum on Montcalm dedicated to this guy, which may or may not be attached onto the new library:
http://www.espacedallaire.org/Brchr-EspaceDallaire.pdf

It's been a while since this project moved but it is still very much on the city's radar screen.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Gatineau seems to be getting things right these days. I wonder if they've looked to Ottawa as an example of how NOT to run a city. If only Gatineau had regional rail and/or LRT. That would be so delightfully progressive.
Is it possible to use the existing rail bridge to extend the OC LRT over to Gatineau?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-133 View Post
Is it possible to use the existing rail bridge to extend the OC LRT over to Gatineau?
Apparently not without first ripping out the tracks, converting it to a BRT roadway, running it into the ground for forty years, then studying whether or not it should be converted into LRT.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 6:47 PM
Awesome!

Really bumpy this issue, that it might go back to the drawing board although the Mayor seems insisting on that site for the centre.

Sounds like for the provincial government that the Nordiques, (which by the way if they are back would be by far in the smallest NHL market and 2nd smallest market in professional sports behind Green Bay) are more important.

Meanwhile seems the Brigil project is getting backed by Cyril Leeder and the Sens organization. Having said that, if the provincial government can afford to spend tens of millions for an arena for a team that has little chance of returning considering the small market of about 600 000-700 000 and which had previously being unable to keep two minor league teams after the Nordiques moved to Denver they can afford $25 million for a new arena or cultural centre here.

Guess, being cynical, that political affiliation and number of MNA seats matters as Bureau is a PQ militant versus Labeaume which is more ideologically closer then the QLP and that the city of Gatineau has only 5 seats (actually only 2 are exclusively in Gatineau alone) versus the 12-15 seats are Quebec City and which they are vulnerable then the Outaouais seats during an election (see 2007 when the ADQ won almost all Quebec City seats).

Though the Brigil site proposal seems as close to the Rapibus station and you have more room for a larger arena then downtown with some retail and restaurant (s?) accross the 50 with plenty of room for more as well as space for residental and maybe office use. Hate to say this to those preferring downtown space, but the Brigil proposal site seems to have more potentiel.

I guess with the Senators backing, the Brigil project seems to have the lead. Hopefully in all of that it will not just result in just the renovation of the current site.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 12:35 AM
National Capital Region

Looks like they may be running into funding difficulties, at least for now
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...888/story.html

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 1:35 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Looks like they may be running into funding difficulties, at least for now
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...888/story.html
Explains why most of the other media except for the Citizen were quite cautious with this story.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 11:12 PM
Awesome!

That was just areas I've proposed considering there are mainly bland spots in this city which would be more suitable then the proposed and the current site and in fact considering Bowater is done, I might add another suggestion. Another site near the future Rapibus albeit a bit of a walking distance (which might rank it low in my list) since just before St.Louis the proposed Rapibus track would move further away from Maloney. I think there are several sites that might be better then the two locations.

Also what I meant with the E.B Eddy, I meant nearby so within the Domtar lands east of Eddy. (I can't wait for this eyesore to be changed). The building on the west side I was thinking for the future Museum of Science and Technology.

The current site is actually among the worst locations mentionned in this thread in terms of access to public transit service (right now only two routes serving the area every hour at night (and they pass at the same time on weeknights) - actually one you have to walk about 5 minutes). Sure the Rapibus would be nearby, but there are only stops planned for Montcalm and Montclair, a good 10-15 minutes from the site and walking into not necessarily walk-friendly areas at night. If the new arena would be at the current site, I suggests to add a station at des Allumettieres. Not sure about a pedestrian crossing over the 50 connecting to the arena but it would certainly be better this then crossing junctions with the 50 or poorly lit (if) paths.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 11:20 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
If the new arena would be at the current site, I suggests to add a station at des Allumettieres. Not sure about a pedestrian crossing over the 50 connecting to the arena but it would certainly be better this then crossing junctions with the 50 or poorly lit (if) paths.
There is also that conglomerate of transients that lives next to the creek behind Gite-ami... I know people that purposely avoid those paths at night just because they think they are going to be jumped. They even closed that tunnel under the 50 that connects with Amherst on the other side (I think?). Not sure if a bridge would be much better, but maybe if there is a station there like you say, it would be more active.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 3:19 PM

Rapibus station at Allumettieres?

Makes no sense to build a station that is literally only 200-300m from the Montcalm station.

To walk to the Montcalm station from the current arena takes less than 10 minutes, all you need to do is take the bike path by the creek.
Daytime its safe, night time they can add some lighting, and security cameras, and its all good.

Alternatively, one can cross Allumettieres, then take Rue Morin a few blocks to Papineau street, by the Brasseurs du Temps and voila you are at Montcalm st by the new Rapibus station.

Both routes are less than 10 minute walk from Rapibus. Furthermore, this is an ideal location for cars too, as there is a perfect connection to Aylmer via Allumettieres, and Gatineu/Hull/Chelsea via HWY50, as well as ample parking on site and vicinity.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 7:05 PM
Awesome!

I've already posted it on the Gatineau projects thread, but a new council vote on the downtown proposal has been delayed (no surprise) until after the holidays sign that this Council is still divided and that the mayor is unable to swing some of the opponents of the project.

If the Gatineau Olympiques are moving to somewhere else outside of Gatineau, a lot of fingers will be pointing on the Mayor. Assistance is around 2500 per game which is very weak. Clearly this stalemate is hurting the team in the stands.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 3:16 PM
Awesome!

With yesterday's funding announcement for a new Colisee, which might only benefit the junior hockey team Remparts for many years still even though there is a chance for a new NHL team in Quebec City, it is time for the City Council to get its act together on this one. Enough of the stupidity.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 4:23 PM

It's nice to see that Gatineau is not free from the idiocy that we experience here in Ottawa. Sometimes, living here makes me feel like I'm living in the movie "Idiocracy". The movie is pretty dumb but it really does a good job satirizing the state of North America today and where we might be heading. Check it out if you ever have a couple of spare hours: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 8:10 PM
Awesome!

Problem is: This project has divided the Council bigger then ever. Bureau's vision of a new arena on Montcalm is losing more and more support from the Council and actually since last week, a majority of council is against the project on Montcalm. This is becoming more and more likely, it will end up as a project on the site of the actual Robert-Guertin Arena. Hopefully, it won't just be a renovation project, became that will be just lame. A brand new arena is needed very badly as the BOB is falling apart.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Problem is: This project has divided the Council bigger then ever. Bureau's vision of a new arena on Montcalm is losing more and more support from the Council and actually since last week, a majority of council is against the project on Montcalm. This is becoming more and more likely, it will end up as a project on the site of the actual Robert-Guertin Arena. Hopefully, it won't just be a renovation project, became that will be just lame. A brand new arena is needed very badly as the BOB is falling apart.
I hope that Bureau's idea carries the day. A "multifunctional" building would mean that there would be something going on nearly 24/7 in the old Hull downtown area and help to revitalize what should be a vibrant area with the Brewery Creek, green space, beer pubs, restaurants, theatres and nightlife Quebec style. Moreover, the O-train could go straight to it from the Bayview Yards and over the Prince of Wales bridge. It would be a wonderful tourism opportunity for Gatineau by attracting residents and tourists stuck in a very boring Uptown Ottawa.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 2:32 PM
Awesome!

Expect that EB site to remain the eyesore as it is for at least 25 years, same thing along the Chaudiere Bridge corridor.

Any link to any redevelopment proposals for that site by the way. You can put the Tech Museum on the Tache side with the arena and probably some residential, office, commercial (restaurants, small stores, etc), and greenspace on the Laurier side not to mention a possible BRT/LRT corridor. Similar stuff should be done once Kroger on the other side of the Portage in front of City Hall will be gone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa