HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 5:35 AM

That building next to BIGs Pyramid (on viewers’ left) is horrendous, I don’t know if it’s a city power plant, water plant or what, I know it’s an important station. But at least they need to mask it some way or build something nice on top.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 12:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXFrank View Post
That building next to BIGs Pyramid (on viewers’ left) is horrendous, I don’t know if it’s a city power plant, water plant or what, I know it’s an important station. But at least they need to mask it some way or build something nice on top.
I've been inside of there before. Its Con-Edison. Its not to bad from the 11th avenue side on a side note. Fun fact with con-ed, never, ever wear a white construction hat because they don't like that. White construction hats are for the top brass. The leadership. They very picky about construction hat colors even with subcontractors.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 2:37 PM

The CPT is a very beautiful building indeed, hopefully this will serve as the gateway to New York’s long deserved Megatall! The skyscraper capital of the world is coming back into the limelight after nearly 48 years since New York has really had a truly groundbreaking skyscraper.

New York is slowly but surely getting her crown back

Last edited by Lincolnlover2005; Jul 27, 2019 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 5:27 PM

Please don’t make those twins bring us to an off topic conversation, no matter how big a tower is, is not the same as doubling them x2

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXFrank View Post
Please don’t make those twins bring us to an off topic conversation, no matter how big a tower is, is not the same as doubling them x2
Sorry, I was just giving an example of the fact that the Twin Towers eventually led to the CPTs inception, and I didn’t even mention the doubling of any skyscraper, I was just referring to the North and South Tower being the last truly groundbreaking skyscrapers NY has had

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 8:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnlover2005 View Post
Sorry, I was just giving an example of the fact that the Twin Towers eventually led to the CPTs inception, and I didn’t even mention the doubling of any skyscraper, I was just referring to the North and South Tower being the last truly groundbreaking skyscrapers NY has had

Well you're way off in either case. So let's just keep the topic on CPT - however "groundbreaking" you think it is, and not waste your posts.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnlover2005 View Post
I really love this building, it deserves to be the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere and not a building 182 feet shorter with a 408 foot “spire”
I have been following this thread for some time now and I am still confused. Will this be a flat topped building?

Can someone share the final drawings of top with us again...for those who have not seen them. Thank You in advance.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
I have been following this thread for some time now and I am still confused. Will this be a flat topped building?

Can someone share the final drawings of top with us again...for those who have not seen them. Thank You in advance.
It will be flat. Posted by NYguy on page 326:

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 2:31 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 9:04 PM

Imagine the spire come back at the end it will uterlly domine the midtown of skyline , sorry for repeat the case of spire cause i am so ambitious.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
Imagine the spire come back at the end it will uterlly domine the midtown of skyline , sorry for repeat the case of spire cause i am so ambitious.
I can only dream

Imagine if Barnett was crazy enough to pull a Chrysler building and is building the spire inside in secret? What would the city do to Extell if they did so?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt19215 View Post
I can only dream

Imagine if Barnett was crazy enough to pull a Chrysler building and is building the spire inside in secret? What would the city do to Extell if they did so?

One WTC: I’m the tallest building in New York City, I am unbeatable with my mighty S P I R E!

Central Park Tower: Well yes, but actually no

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 10:25 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 29, 2019 at 11:01 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
Imagine the spire come back at the end it will uterlly domine the midtown of skyline
The spire in the original design was just a skinny rod, which probably would not look any more dominating than the NYT's barely visible spire. On the other hand, a crown as large as 111W57's or 1 Vandy's would made CPT look very dominating indeed.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 7:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 7:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
The spire in the original design was just a skinny rod, which probably would not look any more dominating than the NYT's barely visible spire.
Surely you don't mean this one...

Quote:
On the other hand, a crown as large as 111W57's or 1 Vandy's would made CPT look very dominating indeed.
One Vanderbilt has a crown, then about a 100 ft slender spire on top to bring it to it's full height. But even the antenna on the ESB makes it's point on the skyline, and the ESB wouldn't be the same without it.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 8:12 PM

Central Park Tower Surpasses Chicago’s Willis Tower On Way To Tallest Roof Height In

Central Park Tower Surpasses Chicago’s Willis Tower On Way To Tallest Roof Height In Western Hemisphere

By: Michael Young 8:00 am on July 29, 2019

Central Park Tower, aka 217 West 57th Street, has surpassed the 1,450-foot-tall Willis Tower (née Sears Tower) to claim the title of highest roof in the Western Hemisphere. The Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill-designed supertall is being developed by Extell and will soon top-out at 1,550 feet tall over Billionaires’ Row.

Extell is expecting a project sellout of $4 billion. Meanwhile, the Nordstrom flagship store, which will occupy the tower’s podium, will open on October 24, 2019.

https://newyorkyimby.com/2019/07/cen...emisphere.html

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripk10 View Post
Central Park Tower Surpasses Chicago’s Willis Tower On Way To Tallest Roof Height In Western Hemisphere

By: Michael Young 8:00 am on July 29, 2019

Central Park Tower, aka 217 West 57th Street, has surpassed the 1,450-foot-tall Willis Tower (née Sears Tower) to claim the title of highest roof in the Western Hemisphere. The Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill-designed supertall is being developed by Extell and will soon top-out at 1,550 feet tall over Billionaires’ Row.

Extell is expecting a project sellout of $4 billion. Meanwhile, the Nordstrom flagship store, which will occupy the tower’s podium, will open on October 24, 2019.

https://newyorkyimby.com/2019/07/cen...emisphere.html
That news is quite late, we've known that CPT had past 1450 ft weeks ago. Indeed now it looks to be nearing 1500 ft. j

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Surely you don't mean this one......One Vanderbilt has a crown, then about a 100 ft slender spire on top to bring it to it's full height. But even the antenna on the ESB makes it's point on the skyline, and the ESB wouldn't be the same without it.
I am not denying that a properly designed spire can make a building look nicer -- one of the best examples is Trump Chicago IMO -- and certainly spires are a widely used way to increase structural height. But faridnyc was talking about making the CPT *dominate* the skyline. It takes a lot more mass than a slender spire to dominate a skyline that already has many imposing buildings.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 11:47 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

through the hazy heat from the historic high bridge today

as you can see it dominates w/o a spire.

i know some people don’t like this one and the flat top.

i think its the most fittingly nyc of all the supertalls, including those proposed.

Last edited by mrnyc; Jul 29, 2019 at 11:59 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive