HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 1:03 PM

wins an election and 6 weeks later decides she doesn't want the job? Really? If you wanted to be mayor, you should have run for mayor and not premier. Too often politicians jump ship to something "better". She was literally just given a mandate to represent Hamilton Centre at Queens's Park, I really don't appreciate jumping ship before the legislative assembly has even sat for it's new term.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 1:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

Starts at around 6:30 mark.
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 2:25 PM

So HC seat will now be open. Wonder who will be a potential candidate for that?

Wow this is shaping up to be quite a mayoral race. Bit worried old slimy crazy pants gets in with Keenan and Horwath splitting votes.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
wins an election and 6 weeks later decides she doesn't want the job? Really? If you wanted to be mayor, you should have run for mayor and not premier. Too often politicians jump ship to something "better". She was literally just given a mandate to represent Hamilton Centre at Queens's Park, I really don't appreciate jumping ship before the legislative assembly has even sat for it's new term.
Don't know if it's better but sometimes people find opportunistic avenues that might better represent tangible means.

Farr tried to do the same thing but in reverse. Do you have a problem with him falling back on Ward 2?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Don't know if it's better but sometimes people find opportunistic avenues that might better represent tangible means.

Farr tried to do the same thing but in reverse. Do you have a problem with him falling back on Ward 2?
He at least has the excuse of losing the election. Horwath is like quitting a job as soon as you finish the new-hire training.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 4:08 PM

Fair point but guessing she doesn't have a lot of runway for Hamilton Centre and knows it's just a matter of time before the party wants a new incumbent/voice for the riding.

Who knows she might have been informed of such things by the NDP already, we don't know.

Anyone but Bratina should be the slogan here.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 4:11 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
So HC seat will now be open. Wonder who will be a potential candidate for that?
Any names floating around yet? Should be an easy NDP hold but never say never...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Do you have a problem with him falling back on Ward 2?
I don't know about others, but I personally do. Hopscotching from one job to another job to see which politically job sticks is kind of gross for many reasons.

1) I can't do that with my job.

2) Real commitment to constituents means actually commiting to them, not switching to whatever is convenient.

3) Being a consolation prize makes me feel icky.

I'll be voting for Cameron Kreotsch.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 5:13 PM

Does Nann run for the seat? Seems logical.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 6:19 PM

Nann is who I figured the NDP would want for the riding. New voice, younger and gets stuff done. I'd be bummed if she left Ward 3 because she actually cares.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 6:31 PM

Sarah Jama announced she will seek the NDP centre position ahead of Nann being able to. Now if Nann tries to announce she'll look like she is going in opposition to another vocal equity seeker, and a disabilities rights advocate.

Nann is here for now.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I don't know about others, but I personally do. Hopscotching from one job to another job to see which politically job sticks is kind of gross for many reasons.

1) I can't do that with my job.

2) Real commitment to constituents means actually commiting to them, not switching to whatever is convenient.

3) Being a consolation prize makes me feel icky.

I'll be voting for Cameron Kreotsch.
If she stepped down after a tight race where NDP thought they can win I can see her saying I will go for Mayor. But she never had a chance to be premiere. We all knew Cons were going to win and NDP were going to take a hit as Liberals were hated last election.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 3:19 PM

Yeah Nann looks like she's stuck being a council lifer now. Jama is young and Matthew Green is not going anywhere.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 3:36 PM
Hammer'd

I think I'd also agree on that one, I don't think Nann is going anywhere nor do I think she has expressed any desire to. Still, having someone new at Ward 2 with Nann in Ward 3 and Sarah Jama for Hamilton Centre would be really refreshing. Farr needs to go.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 12:11 AM
Ham-burgher

I have no problem with Horwath abandoning her recently won seat to do this. I actually didn't expect her to stay in provincial politics unless the NDP had won the election. In failing to do that, she became a lame duck, probably to be ousted on a future leadership review if she had decided to stay in the role. She could have stayed on and served her party and constituents as a plain MPP, but I think that would have been awkward as well.

Resigning before the election, to run for mayor, would not have been good for the provincial party either (worse, in my opinion... who would have stepped up?)

I would rather see Loomis guiding the city, but I'm not going to complain if she wins the mayoral race.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 12:44 AM
Forever forward.

There was zero chance that Horwath could stay on as leader but nothing stopping her from sticking around as an MPP. Now taxpayers will be on the hook for a by-election a few months after the general because a more attractive role has opened up.

If you want to talk awkward, remember that Kathleen Wynne stayed on for the entire four year term she was elected to after her and her party were trounced in 2018.

While I can’t say that I’m in agreement with many of the moves made under her government - staying on when she had no obligation to, listening to her government (sometimes rightly, sometimes wrongly) blamed for every and any challenge facing the province day after day in the legislature, being heckled with “why are you still here” - was a showing of great integrity, honour, and humbleness, and that is far too rare in politics these days.

———

All in all, we’ll see what happens municipally. To say the least, I’m not particularly thrilled with any of the offerings either for Mayor or in Ward 2. Andrea may well earn my vote for mayor, despite the above. Still waiting to see if anyone comes out of the woodwork for Ward 2…

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 5:27 PM
Ham-burgher

I think I tend to look more at the issue of where she can have the most impact. Horwath the backbench MPP would serve her constituents well, but her voice in government would be muted. Horwath the mayor would have much greater sway and may be able to accomplish a lot for both her former constituents and the city at large.

There's no guarantee she will win locally, but I think staying in provincial politics at this point would be a waste of her capabilities.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 4:36 PM
Ham-burgher

Here's who we will be voting for this fall. The rest of the article lists the trustee candidates.

Also on the city site: https://www.hamilton.ca/municipal-el...ted-candidates

Here's the final list of who's running for mayor and council in Hamilton this year
Seven candidates for mayor registered to replace outgoing Mayor Fred Eisenberger

Aura Carreño Rosas
CBC News
Aug 19, 2022

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...tion-1.6556727

Aug. 19 was the last day for candidates to file their nominations at city hall for the upcoming municipal election, which are taking place on Oct. 24.

The list has changed a lot since CBC first reported it back in May. Both veteran politicians and newcomers are putting their name forward for your votes.

Seven candidates for mayor

Seven candidates are in the running to take current Mayor Fred Eisenberger's place. He said in June that he won't seek re-election.

The registered candidates in alphabetical order are:
  • Bob Bratina: Former mayor, Liberal MP and ward 2 councillor
  • Ejaz Butt: Veteran taxi industry leader and immigrant from Pakistan
  • Paul Fromm: self-described white nationalist whose groups have intervened in human rights cases on behalf of websites that promote Holocaust denial and homophobia
  • Solomon Ikhuiwu
  • Hermiz Ishaya
  • Andrea Horwath: Former Ontario NDP leader and Hamilton city councillor
  • Keanin Loomis: Former president and CEO of the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce

Almost 70 candidates for city councillor

The list of candidates for city councillor has grown exponentially from the last time CBC Hamilton listed their names.

Ward 4 is still Hamilton's most crowded space, with 11 candidates. Ward 5 and 12 followed closely with nine and eight candidates for councillor, respectively.

Councillors Sam Merulla (Ward 4), Russ Powers (Ward 5), Brenda Johnson (Ward 11), Lloyd Ferguson (Ward 12), Terry Whitehead (Ward 14) and Judi Partridge (Ward 15) are not seeking re-election.

Other notable recent announcements have come from former councillor and NDP MP Scott Duvall, joining the race in Ward 7, former Liberal MPP Ted McMeekin running in Ward 15 and prominent environmental advocate and executive director of Environment Hamilton Lynda Lukasik, for Ward 5 councillor.

Candidates so far are:
  • Ward 1: Ian MacPherson, John Vail and Maureen Wilson.
  • Ward 2: Shahan Aaron, Jason Farr, Robin McKee, Cameron Kroetsch and Raquel Rakovac.
  • Ward 3: Michael Falletta, Laura Farr, Walter Furlan, and Nrinder Nann.
  • Ward 4: Maxwell Francis, Angelica Hasbon, Tammy Hwang, Alex Johnstone, Cindy Louise Kennedy, Pascale Marchand, Adam Oldfield, Robert Paris, Laura Taylor, Eric James Tuck, and Mary Louise Williams.
  • Ward 5: Sebastian Aldea, Krysta Boyer, Matt Francis, Kevin Geenen, Stan Habza, Bob Hurst, Ryan Ladner, Lynda Lukasik and Angela Pugliese.
  • Ward 6: Tom Jackson, Donna Puddu, Chris Slye and Stefan Spolnik.
  • Ward 7: Scott Duvall and Esther Pauls.
  • Ward 8: Sonia Brown, John-Paul Danko and Anthony Frisina.
  • Ward 9: Brad Clark, Walt Juchniewicz and Peter Lanza.
  • Ward 10: Jeff Beattie, Louie Milojevic and Maria Pearson.
  • Ward 11: Nicholas Lauwers, Mark Tadeson and Terri Moffett.
  • Ward 12: Chuck Alkerton, Robert Baboth, Craig Cassar, Karl Hanley, Megg Markettos, Robert Maton, Pamela Mitchell and Cindy Kaye.
  • Ward 13: Alex Wilson and Arlene VanderBeek.
  • Ward 14: Kojo Damptey, Brian Lewis, Christine Seketa, Michael Spadafora and Colleen Wicken.
  • Ward 15: Zobia Jawed, Chris Pera, Ted McMeekin and Sumaira Waqar.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 4:55 PM

Holy Ward 4 batman!

Also, good to see that nobody was acclaimed, even if Arlene Vanderbeek and Esther Pauls only have 1 opponent.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Holy Ward 4 batman!

Also, good to see that nobody was acclaimed, even if Arlene Vanderbeek and Esther Pauls only have 1 opponent.
1 opponent is actually a good thing. Typically incumbents win over a split vote unless they're someone like Tom Jackson, but only having one opponent means they have a higher chance of winning against the incumbent. In almost every race, the best outcome to beat an incumbent would be to have the candidates who are clearly going to lose drop out and support one of 2 or 3 candidates. Having 15 candidates just means the person wins with a couple hundred votes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy