HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 10:24 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I think Tom Jackson will run for Mayor. Plus he could defeat Eisenberger. I'm sure there's a lot of support for Tom Jackson.
Gawd help us if Jackson runs, and actually wins. I can't stand his suits.

Please Terry Cooke run.

Cooke would be great. think about it. He doesn't need the job for money... he has more political connections then all of current council combined, he's articulate, he can't be bullied, he loves Hamilton, appreciates urban life and density, transit etc (he used to live on Bay South) and judging from his Sat Spec column -- he gets it.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 12:45 AM

Freudian slip??

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Article
“I will never say no to a philanthropist like Chris Ecklund,” said Mayor Whitehead.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 1:57 AM

*bump*

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 1:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

Cooke is out......

Cooke named new HCF chief
The Hamilton Community Foundation will announce today

October 22, 2009
The Hamilton Spectator

The Hamilton Community Foundation will today announce the appointment of Terry Cooke as the foundation’s new president and Chief Executive Officer.

“We are absolutely delighted that Terry will be the Foundation’s next president," said board chair Sandra Stephenson.

"He brings not only his significant leadership abilities and wide range of experiences to the position, but, just as important, brings his passion for Hamilton. He will be a champion both for HCF and for our city. Our search was a comprehensive and thoughtful process, and we are absolutely confident that Terry is the right choice. We are excited about the potential he brings to the role."

Terry Cooke has been president of Cooke Capital Corporation, a management consulting firm focused on leadership, strategic planning and government relations, since 2005.

He is also a columnist for The Spectator.

He previously served as president and chief operating officer with the Foxcroft Group of Companies in Hamilton, and was Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth from 1994 to 2000.

Cooke is an experienced community volunteer with a number of charitable and other organizations, and is currently Chair of the Canadian Urban Institute. He is also active as a director with a number of corporate organizations, serving on the boards of Northgate Properties, LPF Infrastructure Fund and Horizon Utilities.

"I am deeply gratified for the confidence placed in me by the board of Hamilton Community Foundation,” Cooke said in a release today.

“I am also awed by the generosity of spirit of the thousands of donors who make possible the work of the Foundation. Each and every day our city is made better through their giving, and enables HCF to make innovative investments in areas as diverse as poverty reduction, education, arts and the environment.  I join the Foundation with tremendous enthusiasm, but at the same time, I am humbled by the enormous responsibility.”

Cooke will assume his duties with the foundation January 1, 2010. Annette Aquin, vice-president of finance and administration will continue as acting president until that time.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 2:01 PM
Closed account

Damn. We'll probably be stuck with Whitehead vs. Ecklund or something equally uninspiring.

Now that I think about it, Whitehead vs. Ecklund is an oxymoron. Whitehead is Ecklund. If that's the case, I actually hope DiFalco runs. At least he's a slightly different flavour of Ecklundism.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 2:07 PM
It's Hammer Time

Based on the last speech updating the state of the City Eisenberger will run for re-election.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 5:00 PM

This is good for Cooke and HCF. He's pure business and smart.

While Eisenburger looks like he has no competition right now will probably easily take mayor again. Except he's been a bit disappointing.

Ecklund might see this as a chance to run against Fred.

Whitehead won't leave his little west mountain fiefdom. Not unless he gets a call from Prov or Fed Libs. or Cons.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 5:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
While Eisenburger looks like he has no competition right now will probably easily take mayor again. Except he's been a bit disappointing.
His leadership style has been a bit disappointing, although it's hard to imagine who could have lead the ship of fools we call council more effectively, unless it was someone who was completely on board with the fools. When you consider what he's up against, including the recession, he's actually made a surprising amount of progress.

Heaven help us if the spawn of DiIanni runs.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 12:06 PM

Teamwork and what's good for the city

We have an election in 2010? I think it may be time to clean house.
Some of the furniture or Cling-ons have been there too long and have lost touch with the residents. Maybe a refresher of a regular job ancd maybe throw in shift work.
They work for the people.......
Who should stay and who should go.
I like Bratina because he ain't scared to voice his opinion and take the heat like a man. Pretty straight shooter. Advocate for downtown which is important to city as a whole.
The 3 amigo are all about them. One lives in or for the limelight.....
So what do you think, who are the duds?
and some suggestions for replacments.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 12:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

There should be absolutely no doubt that Fred Eisenberger will run for re-election. He wants the issue of Area Rating dealt with AFTER the election. Plus winning the 2015 Pan Am Games will leave a good legacy.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 2:13 PM
It's Hammer Time

Depending on how this Area Rating debate goes I can picture Terry Whitehead running for Mayor. If Mayor Fred wins and pushes the decision for Area Rating after the election than this election will turn into a referedrum over Area Rating. Terry Whitehead is the most vocal councillor on this issue and he'll be pissed if they delay a decision on what to do on Area Rating after the election.

This upcoming election could be a lot like Christopherson vs. Di Ianni 2003 election when the hot button issue was the Red Hill Creek Expressway.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 2:28 PM

I think Morelli has hung around long enough. Ward 3 needs a breath of fresh air. Good luck finding someone to run against him however.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 3:45 PM

Actually I'm beginning to think our ELECTED council has little to do with how this City functions. Ya they field phone calls and emails from old people complaining about a pothole or someone who didn't cut their grass last week.

But really... the problem is with the CITY STAFF.... mainly because you can't get rid of them.

Last edited by realcity; Nov 20, 2009 at 11:19 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 4:13 PM

actually Hamilton was much better in the 60s 70s and 80s

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
I think Morelli has hung around long enough. Ward 3 needs a breath of fresh air. Good luck finding someone to run against him however.
maybe I'll run

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 12:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

Andrew Dreschel slammed Mayor Fred today.......

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=1#post4573558

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
maybe I'll run
Unless you're Bernie in disguise, you've got my vote.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 2:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/678427

Quote:
Police board chair Morelli to quit
Announces three days after surprise decision on chief

November 24, 2009
Susan Clairmont

Bernie Morelli is stepping down as chair of the Police Services Board.

"I plan to step down in January, " he says. "It's a good, new, fresh start. There's other things I want to do and others would like an opportunity."
Perhaps this is a sign that he may also not run for re-election as well.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 2:47 PM

good

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 12:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

Ferguson ponders running for mayor

Andrew Dreschel

Ancaster councillor Lloyd Ferguson is considering running against Mayor Fred Eisenberger in next year’s municipal election.

“I’m getting — and I have for a while now — incredible pressure to run,” says Ferguson.

“I haven’t made a final decision yet. I’m still wrestling with it.”

Ferguson is the first person with a high-profile to publicly say he’s thinking of challenging Eisenberger, who has already said he intends to seek a second term.

“I think Fred is growing into the job,” Ferguson says.

“But sometimes you have to get tough and his style is always to try to get a consensus.”

Ferguson, 59, hasn’t set a deadline for making a decision, but he wants to let his “inner team” know as soon as possible.

He says they’re urging him to start polling to test public opinion.

Candidates can start registering for the fall 2010 election in January.

To conduct a citywide campaign, Ferguson figures he’ll need to commit and get rolling by spring.

East Mountain Councillor Tom Jackson is the only other incumbent routinely rumoured to be a possible mayoral candidate.

But Jackson is playing his cards close.

“I’m being encouraged to run,” says Jackson. “I’m humbled and flattered by it. But at this time I’m not thinking beyond representing Ward 6.”

Ferguson has represented Ancaster’s Ward 12 since 2006, when he replaced his brother, Murray, who was sidelined by a stroke while in office.

Before that, he was the general manager of Dufferin Construction where he was responsible for a $350-million budget and managing some 850 employees.

Ferguson says he’s being encouraged to run by various sectors, especially the business community.

If he does throw his hat in the ring, he’ll campaign on bringing a business perspective to running the city.

“The two biggest problems this city has right now is image and lack of employers. I would really make that my central focus — to attract businesses to invest in Hamilton.”

Ferguson would unquestionably bring considerable assets to the mayoral race. The Fergusons are, after all, something of a political dynasty in Ancaster and the name would likely carry weight throughout neighbouring Dundas and Flamborough.

Ferguson himself was a councillor in the former municipality of Ancaster from 1984 to 1994 and a Wentworth school trustee before that.

His late father, Walter, was town reeve for many years and his late mother, Barbara, was an Ancaster councillor for 13 years.

Brother Murray’s record of public service includes two terms with the former Ancaster council before amalgamation and two terms with Hamilton council.

Ferguson’s business sense is certainly respected by his council colleagues.

Some suggest he’d be good at creating a corporate-friendly culture and streamlining bureaucracy at City Hall .

One councillor suggests Ferguson, who is increasingly frustrated by council shenanigans, might bring more order and decorum to the table.

But it’s also noted he can be testy when issues don’t go his way and he hasn’t grown sensitive to environmental and inner-city social issues like Murray did .

With the luxury of a good pension from Dufferin, Ferguson doesn’t need a job like career politicians do.

That means though he enjoys representing Ancaster as a councillor, he can afford to take the calculated gamble of running for mayor without worrying about income if he loses He admits he’s meeting strong resistance from his wife, Martha, who is also a key adviser. She wants him to slow down, not speed up.

“But that’s not my style,” says Ferguson. “I always say her idea of a perfect day is to do nothing. That’s my idea of the worst day.”

Whether he takes the mayoral leap or not, for the sake of choice, it’s good to see somebody openly shaking the bushes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy