HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 7:16 PM

While Brattina has been a great councillor, I would need to see examples of consensus-building among his peers in order to consider him for the mayor's seat. That is what is most needed in this position, and frankly, on the whole none of Hamilton's councillors have displayed much in the way of consensus-building skills.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 10:13 PM
BANNED

Terry Cooke would be the best choice right now. He has excellent contacts and the respect of the local business community. But most importantly, I think experience is going to matter in the next few years. I have to say Eisenberger has been a real let down. The guy is about as poltically inept as they come, and the city has been treading water ever since he was elected.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 12:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

Can Mayor Fred carry the vote?

January 12, 2009
Nicole Macintyre
The Hamilton Spectator

When it comes to the big votes, Mayor Fred Eisenberger has consistently found himself on the losing side since taking office.

He tried to kill the Red Hill lawsuit against the federal government. It's still going.

He wanted to tear down City Hall and build anew. He lost. Then he wanted limestone on the renovated City Hall. He lost that, too.

The Flamborough tax debate, the one-bag garbage limit, wildflowers in highway medians -- all losses.

Eisenberger has had wins. He garnered council's unanimous support for the integrity commissioner and investing an extra $1.5 million in economic development. He was also on the winning side of the Lister Block.

Still, Eisenberger is aware there are some who think he can't pull the vote. He disagrees and questions what defines a triumphant leader.

"The pattern here has always been you have to have nine votes, you drive the issue home and then you're a successful mayor. Well I don't agree with that pattern.

"I don't want to drive an agenda and force people into positions that they may not like. That gives people more latitude to make different decisions.

"Am I strong-arming people? No. Should I? I don't believe I should."

Eisenberger points to council's support of the city's strategic plan and light rail as additional victories and says he's "very comfortable" with his track record. On his scorecard, he believes he wins more than he loses.

"I don't want to lose any, but there should be a vision brought to the table."

Eisenberger's vision has guided him to very public defeats. When council rejected his idea to naturalize the highway medians, he came back months later to ask for a pilot project. Not a single councillor stepped forward to second the motion.

It was a rare political snub that councillors say perfectly illustrated why Eisenberger loses -- he just doesn't put in the effort to win

Though few will publicly criticize Eisenberger, councillors across the political spectrum offer the same explanation for his losing streak: he doesn't consult enough with council and refuses to budge from his position even in the face of failure.

"The mayor hasn't done enough work in advance of votes," says Councillor Brad Clark. "He would have a better track record if he was more proactive in approaching councillors before the decisions were made at council."

While former mayor Larry Di Ianni and his staff were known to be frequent visitors to councillors' offices to generate (or some say demand) support, some of Eisenberger's colleagues say he or his staff rarely come to seek their opinions or backing. They also believe he has failed to broker compromises on the contentious issues, such as the Flamborough tax hike.

That contradicts Eisenberger's inauguration promise to usher in a new era of politics, built on "consensus and collaboration."

Council's criticism catches Eisenberger by surprise. He maintains he consults regularly, but notes the time constraints of his job. He adds he finds the complaint "ironic."

"The lament last time was that there was a mayor who consulted, then did what he wanted to do anyway because he had the votes lined up and drove it home and that offended a lot of people. That's just not my style."

Victory, of course, is a challenge for any mayor who is just one vote on a council. The mayor must represent the whole city, but count on support from councillors who have an obligation to a single ward.

In order to succeed, a leader must be persuasive, explains former mayor Jack MacDonald. He recalls opponents used to criticize his ability to get his way with council.

"I thought that was the job."

It's not enough to have good ideas, adds Di Ianni, who Eisenberger defeated in 2006. "It's about selling them."

It's the sales job that causes Eisenberger to stumble in the opinion of city hall watcher Marvin Ryder. The Mac professor sees the mayor as a leader who believes his ideas alone should win support without the need to "play politics."

"He wants people to vote for things on its merits."

Unfortunately, says Ryder, while Eisenberger relies on his arguments to make the case, his arguments often fail to "inspire."

"Fred is not Barack Obama."

Ryder adds that he also lacks the political coalition, built around suburban councillors, that supported previous mayors, such as Di Ianni and Ancaster's Bob Wade. Eisenberger, by contrast, has no consistent allies.

"I don't think there is a base for me on council, to be honest," he says.

"I think council is divided. There isn't an ideological majority on an ongoing basis. It's issue by issue."

With less than two years until the election, there's already talk over who will run for mayor in 2010. The conversation inevitably leads to Eisenberger's success to date.

When comparing the mayor's achievements with Di Ianni, Ryan McGreal, editor of Raise the Hammer, believes Eisenberger has faced a greater challenge because he's asked council and the community to step outside its "comfort zone."

"Relative to his agenda, he has achieved less (than Di Ianni)," wrote McGreal. "But absolutely in terms of driving change, he has achieved more."

Observers believe the next year will be critical for Eisenberger's ambitions. Further losses, they warn, could jeopardize the most important win of all -- re-election.

For the record
1. May 2007

Eisenberger proposes tearing down City Hall and building anew.

LOST 5-9

Yeas: Mitchell, Ferguson, Duvall, Bratina, Eisenberger

Nays: Pearson, Pasuta, Merulla, Morelli, McHattie, McCarthy, Jackson, Collins, Clark

Absent:Whitehead, Powers

2. December 2007

A year after council rejected his request to invest in economic development, Eisenberger again asks for an extra $1.5 million in funding.

WON Unanimous

3. March 2008

Mayor pushes election promise to end the Red Hill lawsuit against the federal government.

LOST 6-10

Yeas: Eisenberger, Duvall, Pasuta, Mitchell, Powers, Whitehead

Nays: Bratina, Clark, Collins, Ferguson, Jackson, McCarthy, McHattie, Merulla, Morelli, Pearson

4. April 2008

Council votes on a proposal to remove slot subsidy from Flamborough, driving suburb's tax increase to 10 per cent. Eisenberger urges council not to do it.

LOST 8-7

Yeas: Clark, Collins, Duvall, Jackson, McHattie, Merulla, Pearson, Whitehead

Nay: Bratina, Ferguson, McCarthy, Pasuta, Mitchell, Powers, Eisenberger

Absent: Morelli

5. June 2008

Mayor asks public works committee to naturalize medians along Linc and Red Hill Valley Parkway. LOST 3-6

Yeas: Eisenberger, McCarthy, Bratina

Nays: Powers, Ferguson, Mitchell, Jackson, Collins, Merulla

6. June 2008

After months of delay, Eisenberger asks council to support his election promise to hire an integrity commissioner.

WON Unanimous

7. June 2008

Mayor urges council to phase in aerotropolis and only convert half the land to start.

LOST 5-8

Yeas: Bratina, Duvall, Eisenberger, McHattie, Pasuta.

Nays: Clark, Collins, Ferguson, Jackson, Merulla, Mitchell, Pearson, Whitehead.

Absent: McCarthy, Morelli, Powers

8. June 2008

Eisenberger asks council to support $25-million deal to buy the Lister Block.

WON 10-6

Yeas: Whitehead, Powers, Pearson, Mitchell, Merulla, Morelli, McHattie, Ferguson, Jackson, Eisenberger

Nays: Bratina, Clark, Collins, Duvall, McCarthy, Pasuta

9. November 2008

Council votes to replace City Hall marble with concrete not limestone, a choice mayor opposes.

LOST 10-4

Yeas: Clark, Collins, Duvall, Ferguson, Merulla, Morelli, Mitchell, Pearson, Powers, Whitehead

Nays: Eisenberger, Bratina, McHattie, Pasuta

Absent: Jackson, McCarthy

10. December 2008

Eisenberger pushes council to accept modest increases in parking and transit fees. He loses both. He asks council to accept a compromise of a 5 cent transit increase.

LOST 8-8

Yeas: Eisenberger, Ferguson, Jackson, McCarthy, Pasuta, Mitchell, Pearson, Powers

Nays: Bratina, Clark, Collins, Duvall, McHattie, Merulla, Morelli, Whitehead

The Spectator selected 10 key votes to gauge Mayor Fred Eisenberger's success when it comes to advancing his election promises or stickhandling city issues. Shown are votes for and against.

Council members: Fred Eisenberger, Brian McHattie, Bob Bratina, Bernie Morelli, Sam Merulla, Chad Collins, Tom Jackson, Scott Duvall, Terry Whitehead, Brad Clark, Maria Pearson, David Mitchell, Lloyd Ferguson,

Russ Powers, Robert Pasuta, Margaret McCarthy.
Council often opposes Eisenberger's agenda

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 12:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

That's a good article above, it pretty explains Mayor Fred's poor leadership skills that I've been saying for quite awhile now.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 1:29 PM

I don't like Clark, he's trying too hard. For example from the article, councilors are reluctant to criticize Eisenberger, but Clark jumps in right away. Plus that clumsy attempt to tarnish Eisenberger's integrity with the tape recording. Dumb.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 3:11 PM

An election-related item from today's Star:

Firms funding '905' campaigns
Heavy reliance on developers and other companies erodes democracy, York U. political scientist argues

An excerpt:

Quote:
Election campaigns in Toronto's satellite municipalities are overwhelmingly bankrolled by corporate money, most of it from the same developers responsible for cascading sprawl in the region, new research suggests.

No one thinks city councillors can be bought by a developer's $750 campaign contribution, the maximum allowed per donor under the Municipal Elections Act.

But Robert MacDermid, an associate professor of political science at York University who is publishing a paper on the subject today, says the sheer amount of cash flowing from developers to incumbents – as opposed to coming from citizens who believe in a candidate's platform – erodes the concept of democratic representation.

In the 905 in 2006, election winners got 54.3 per cent of their funding from developers, losers 35 per cent. In Toronto, the numbers are 12 per cent and 4 per cent.

Since there are no rules restricting the number of candidates to whom corporations can donate, they often do so multiple times. MacDermid contends all that money, combined with shortcomings in the Ontario Municipal Elections Act, puts new candidates at a disadvantage, especially those who oppose developers' interests. "It reduces the choice that citizens actually have," he says. "The difficulty with (a candidate) opposing development is that it's hard to find enough money."

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 1:02 AM

http://www.chrisecklund.com/diianni_...009_01_02.html

On Larry's Corner, the DiIanni-est portion of Chris Ecklund's blog, former Mayor Larry has laid out some of his predictions for 2009...at number fourteen is this:

14. The race for Mayor will heat up in 2009 with a major City Hall ‘outsider’ making a move. Fred will get some political wins this year.

It has been long speculated that Mr. DiIanni has been setting Mr. Ecklund up for a 2010 campaign...is this a bit of 'foreshadowing' on Larry's part?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 2:24 AM
Closed account

DiIanni II: The Sprawling.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 12:18 AM
It's Hammer Time

"I'm Dutch, I'm cheap."

The mayor won council's support last night to reconsider an old position to cut funding to the Hamilton Centre for Civic Inclusion this year. Mayor Fred needed two thirds support to get his motion passed. The only person who voted against it was Ancaster Councillor Lloyd Ferguson who said he couldn't justify adding another $260,000 to the budget.
“We’re going in the wrong direction.”

(Flamborough Councillor Margaret McCarthy was also opposed, but left the meeting before the vote.)

The issue is now being sent to budget deliberations. Eisenberger thanked council for their support and said the request was one of the first times he's asked council to spend additional money. “I’m Dutch, I’m cheap," he joked.

Many looks were exchanged among councillors after Mayor Fred's declaration. Perhaps they were recalling the requests the mayor forgot...like say, building a new city hall, replacing marble with limestone, $1.5 million for economic development...

http://hallmarks.thespec.com/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 1:06 AM
Hammer'd

What exactly is this "Hamilton Centre for Civic Inclusion"?
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 1:24 AM

What is it? Looks like it's soon to be $260K richer . That's what it is.

Seriously, I have no idea.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 1:30 AM

Maybe they'll spend the 260k on advertising

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Maybe they'll spend the 260k on advertising
Great idea!!

http://www.hcci.ca/index.php

Now they can send some of the $260K my way

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 1:36 AM
It's Hammer Time

Another example of weak leadership from Mayor Fred.....

Lone supporter of the glass enclosure and removed himself as Chair of the Committee of the Whole. Councillor Pasuta is the Chair (a rookie) and Deputy Mayor.

You think not being a Chair anymore would give you more freedom to speak to council on this issue but Mayor Fred never talked about why he is supporting the glass enclosure. Oui!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 3:20 PM
BANNED

Impeach Mayor Fred!

To quote one of my favorate villans:

If this guy ran a funeral parlor, nobody would die

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 12:13 AM
It's Hammer Time

I like Mayor Fred and I do feel sorry for him. I believe he has the right mindset and vision for Hamilton but unfortunately he just doesn't have the leadership skills needed to be a Mayor and shift council to the right direction. If you ever watch council you will see hardly any councillor respect Mayor Fred and you can tell they all perceive him as a weakling.

If only we could get a little bit of Larry Di Ianni's leadership skills mixed in with Fred Eisenberger vision/views we would have a great Mayor.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 12:29 AM
Hammer'd

Well said in that last part, Steeltown. I didn't like DiIanni's backroom deals and shady nature, but theres no denying that he had top-notch leadership skills. I primarily voted for Fred because I was sick of the corruption at City Hall (especially in DiIanni's circle) and wanted to see an end to it. This lack of leadership from Fred is concerning though, and is making me look towards the next municipal election.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 3:39 AM

Is it fair to dump soley on the mayor for the council's disfunction? Half the councilllors treat their wards as fiefdoms, have an exaggerated sense of entitlement and act soley for the sake of self-promotion/re-election and not for the greater good of the city. The other half are jockeying to run for mayor and consequently make every effort to marginalize the mayor and make him seem ineffective while jostling for time in the limelight by grabbing media attention via half-baked, over-the-top proposals designed to get their name on the air and in the paper rather than improving the fortunes of this city.

Next election, we should be picking up the brooms and sweeping all incumbants into the dustbin. We need a mayor and a set of effective councillors interesting in collaborating for the common good of the city, not the current group of grandstanding career politicians we have to deal with. Unfortunately, complacency and cynicism in the electorate has us lost in this quagmire of perennial dysfunction, so elections consistently return the usual suspects to Council. And the city continues to wallow.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 5:11 AM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Is it fair to dump soley on the mayor for the council's disfunction?
If you've followed my comments about the mayor, you'll know that I tend to think he's a good guy and mostly has the right idea, and is crippled by the Canadian Weak Mayor system. However, there's a lot to be said for the ability to work the system within its confines.

It's just bizarre to me that he made no vocal defence of the glass lobby during yesterday's meeting, observed everyone else trashing it, and then meekly voted to support it against the overwhelming opposition of all his peers.

Stuff like that makes him look really ineffectual - not merely because he can't get council to vote with him but more importantly because it makes him appear completely out of touch.

A similar thing happened when he proposed naturalization of the Linc/RHVP median and couldn't muster up even one other member of council to second it.

Why isn't he doing his homework with the other councillors? I'll echo Steeltown and matt602 in saying that Eisenberger could learn from Di Ianni's policy of sitting down with each councillor before pushing an issue to find out a) whether he has the numbers to move ahead with an initiative and b) whether enough holdouts can be persuaded to squeeze out a win.

I would also argue that he should be doing a lot more outreach with the community - bypass the mainstream media the way he did during his election campaign - so that councillors face increased and more organized public pressure to pass more of his progressive legislative agenda.

As FDR famously said to community organizer Saul Alinsky, "Okay, you've convinced me. Now go on out and bring pressure on me!"

Instead, Mayor Fred is mostly silent (I'd say I receive a good ten to twenty press releases from Councillor Sam "Look At Me" Merulla for each press release I get from the Mayor), and then seems haphazard and arbitrary in the causes he promotes.

He ends up sticking his neck out on seemingly random issues where he has no support from anyone - like the reasonable but non-galvanizing highway medians and the asinine, ill-fated glass lobby.

Again, I think he's a decent, honest guy, has a generally sound understanding of urban policy and is quite good at doing the behind-the-scenes work with staff and other governance bodies (like the feds) that is helping lay the groundwork for his progressive agenda. For example, he is encouraging the city to come around gradually to provincial ideas about the size and scope of the Airport Employment Growth District.

However, the public gets to see little of that. Without the political savvy to manage unwieldy meetings and squeeze majority support out of our fractious council on more issues, what remains is a perception that he just can't lead.

That's unfortunate, because I think he does represent a real improvement in net terms on the previous term. Di Ianni was fairly effective at getting council to do what they were pretty much going to do anyway. Eisenberger, by contrast, has had at least sporadic success at moving council out of its legislative comfort zone.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 12:21 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ Completely agree with you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy