HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 12:44 AM

Many Hamilton cyclists have basic bikes that don't go faster than 15km/h and you can't expect them to share the road with raging motorists going 80km/h (I know its past the speed limit, but that's what they do believe it or not!).

I always ride on the street with my road bike and go 30+ km/h with a helmet on and still feel unsafe going down James South from Charlton down through the tunnel, etc....

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 2:54 PM
Closed account

They are starting to fix the huge potholes around the city lately I noticed, thank goodness. Some of the roads around town for a while were unreal.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Many Hamilton cyclists have basic bikes that don't go faster than 15km/h and you can't expect them to share the road with raging motorists going 80km/h (I know its past the speed limit, but that's what they do believe it or not!).
The speed of bike is no excuse, most (overwhelming majority) of the people I see riding on the sidewalk in Hamilton aren't wearing a helmet. They apparently have little, or no, concern for their own safety, or the safety of pedestrians.

I still contend that most ride on the sidewalk because they are inconsiderate and doing it to ride the wrong way on a one-way street.

This morning was a perfect case in point. At King and Sherman between 6:23am - 6:30am I was waiting for the B-Line. 3 cyclists rode past in the 7 minutes all on the sidewalk, all travelling in the wrong direction. 2 with no helmets, and 1 with a helmet. None had front or rear lights even though is was dark. Afraid of traffic, or too lazy, or inconsiderate, or not safety minded to go to Cannon, or Main?

I'll ride any street any time, and I'm more frightened of being doored by a parked car than hit by a passing car. Even though I once had my elbow glanced by a mirror one morning on Don Mills in Toronto while riding in the bus, taxi, bicycle lane (car shouldn't have even been in the lane). But I take precautions. I signal my intentions, obey stop signs and traffic lights and ride with a helmet. Even in broad daylight I ride with a flashing front light (white) and flashing back light (red). When I'm travelling with a backpack I also have a flashing red on it as well. Lights always on for safety!!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 3:35 PM

I saw a cop riding a police bike on the sidewalk along Main St without a helmet this past weekend.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 3:39 PM

Quote:
I saw a cop riding a police bike on the sidewalk along Main St without a helmet this past weekend.
I'd report him, but that's just me.

You don't need to know which cop, or get him in trouble. You just need to put it to the department to remind their officers that for safety and setting examples helmets and proper street riding etiquette are important.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 3:47 PM

From a legal standpoint, there is no law obliging an adult to wear a cycling helmet. Excluding of course basic common sense.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 3:57 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
The speed of bike is no excuse, most (overwhelming majority) of the people I see riding on the sidewalk in Hamilton aren't wearing a helmet. They apparently have little, or no, concern for their own safety, or the safety of pedestrians.

I still contend that most ride on the sidewalk because they are inconsiderate and doing it to ride the wrong way on a one-way street.

This morning was a perfect case in point. At King and Sherman between 6:23am - 6:30am I was waiting for the B-Line. 3 cyclists rode past in the 7 minutes all on the sidewalk, all travelling in the wrong direction. 2 with no helmets, and 1 with a helmet. None had front or rear lights even though is was dark. Afraid of traffic, or too lazy, or inconsiderate, or not safety minded to go to Cannon, or Main?

I'll ride any street any time, and I'm more frightened of being doored by a parked car than hit by a passing car. Even though I once had my elbow glanced by a mirror one morning on Don Mills in Toronto while riding in the bus, taxi, bicycle lane (car shouldn't have even been in the lane). But I take precautions. I signal my intentions, obey stop signs and traffic lights and ride with a helmet. Even in broad daylight I ride with a flashing front light (white) and flashing back light (red). When I'm travelling with a backpack I also have a flashing red on it as well. Lights always on for safety!!
I wrote a letter to the editor a while back about how unsafe some cyclists ride, which did get published in the paper. People need to realize the rules are there for their safety and with so much traffic on the roads now even more reason to be more careful. I almost hit the same cyclist 2 days in a row when he was going through the same stoplight on a red when I had a green. Now there is a person that is an accident waiting to happen. And this was at an intersection on Kennilworth N where there are so many heavy equipment vehicles from the industries.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 4:27 PM

Couple days ago, I was cycling down Charlton with my helmet on going about 30km/h in the far right lane and had a car cut in front of me without ANY warning or signaling and I almost went through the back door. Every week or so I seem to have a similar story (or worse).

I also drive to work every day. and just doing a comparison, I'd say that cars are way worse (and more dangerous) than cyclists when it comes to road safety.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 4:32 PM
Closed account

That can sure go both ways Adam, thats for sure. I watch drivers sometimes and I try and stay away from them if I can.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
From a legal standpoint, there is no law obliging an adult to wear a cycling helmet. Excluding of course basic common sense.
I know a previous government got all soft and watered it down to 18 and under for the law.

I use the wearing a helmet to draw conclusions on the type of person riding the bike. Helmet often (not always) = Responsible/considerate cyclist.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
I wrote a letter to the editor a while back about how unsafe some cyclists ride, which did get published in the paper. People need to realize the rules are there for their safety and with so much traffic on the roads now even more reason to be more careful. I almost hit the same cyclist 2 days in a row when he was going through the same stoplight on a red when I had a green. Now there is a person that is an accident waiting to happen. And this was at an intersection on Kennilworth N where there are so many heavy equipment vehicles from the industries.
I was thanked by an older (not quite elderly) woman when I stopped at the stop sign on King William outside of the Goodwill operation. She thanked me and told me I was the first cyclist she'd seen stop at a stop sign in the City of Hamilton.

Talk about a feel good moment.

I'm big on if you want respect from others (cars and pedestrians) you have to show respect towards them.

Now let's get back on topic.

Yeah it would be great if they put some of the 'found money' into more bike lanes in Hamilton and all other cities. I know I'd make good use of them. My wife and I rode the lanes on York one day just to do it and because we wanted show our thanks for the lane creation.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 5:46 PM

Quote:
I do not know about not wearing a helmet, I have never seen this in a bike cop. It may have been some isolated incident. As to riding on a sidewalk, going the wrong way etc, that is how they do their job. You cannot expect them to drive around a couple of blocks to get to something that is wrong? One of the advantages the police say that bikes have is that they are silent and quick. You sometime even see a cruiser travelling in the wrong direction to get to a call.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 5:52 PM
Closed account

Yes we need more bike lanes that's for sure. With all of the traffic now they are very needed.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
One of the advantages the police say that bikes have is that they are silent and quick.
Also a good form of transportation during a zombie outbreak

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 8:43 PM

The bike lane along King St traveling eastbound from Westdale to Dundurn .... it abruptly stops at Dundurn with no polite way for the cyclist to continue eastbound. Most cyclists just hop onto the sidewalk once they realize it is ending and put pedestrians at risk. This bike lane desperately needs to be continued into the downtown.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
Yes we need more bike lanes that's for sure. With all of the traffic now they are very needed.
What traffic? Have you ever been to Toronto????

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 9:54 PM
Closed account

Quote:
What traffic? Have you ever been to Toronto????
Not in many years. That's one reason I avoid Toronto like the plague.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 12:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

From the spec......

"But the $48 million from the province will boost spending on roads and bridges by $30 million, recreation facilities by $7.5 million, parks development by $3 million and economic development initiatives by $5 million. It will also provide $2.5 million toward the $30-million local share of the $90-million Randle Reef cleanup."

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 3:51 PM

Only 10% going to economic development - what the downtown needs the most... I wonder if the $30 million for roads & bridges includes redoing old piping?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 3:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Economic initiatives are good. Give Canadian Blood Services some initiatives to build their new centre in downtown Hamilton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy