HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 1:08 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomtown_Hamilton View Post
When I find out who is running for Mayor in the next election and I decide for myself who I think the best candidate is I will approach their camp and submit my list for them to have a look at.
Such a shame that you put partisanship ahead of what's good for the city. If you put it out there now, everyone will have a chance to benefit from it: not only the mayor and his team, but anyone interested in running against him next election.

Last edited by ryan_mcgreal; Oct 23, 2008 at 1:25 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 1:34 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_mcgreal View Post
Such a shame that you put partisanship ahead of what's good for the city.
Welcome to Hamilton.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 4:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Nobody will care? Hmmmm, That's what you think.

When I find out who is running for Mayor in the next election and I decide for myself who I think the best candidate is I will approach their camp and submit my list for them to have a look at.
This is like John McCain saying that he knows how to win the war.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 4:18 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I don't have a problem with him as a person, I just question his leadership abilities. I don't like him as the Mayor of Hamilton, plain and simple. I have some problems with the way he conducts himself. I just think that as a leader he should be leading by example and he has done a very poor job of it in that department. That is my opinion and that is the perception that a great many folks in this town have of him.
The reason he is having trouble leading this council is because, unlike DiIanni, he doesn't share the suburban agenda of the majority of councillors. DiIanni wasn't a better 'leader', he just had the majority on side with his pro-sprawl policies and was therefore able to marginalize and demonize the likes of McHattie, Braden, and Bratina without paying a political price. He was also aided and abetted in this by the local media. Fred is one of those unsexy consensus builders, a near impossible task given the makeup of the current council, but he understands that Hamilton needs to be run like a CITY and not a suburb.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 1:13 PM
It's Hammer Time

Beyond the election, Ms. Copps said she has always been an ardent supporter of Hamilton, especially when it comes to arts projects and supporting any waterfront development.

She even stated during an interview constructing a stadium along the waterfront would be a perfect fit for a possible Pan Am Games bid.

During the run up to the 2006 municipal election, there were rumours that Ms. Copps might want to run for mayor. She refuted the suggestion at the time.

So when asked if she would consider running for mayor in 2010, knowing her love for the city, Ms. Copps smiled, and again denied she is interested in the position.

But she doesn’t deny she wants to remain in the spotlight to highlight improving Hamilton’s urban renewal projects and bolster the city’s arts and culture community.

“You will hear more from me about improving the city, when it comes to urban design, or the arts,” she said.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 1:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

haha Mr. Copps as Mayor was all about uban renewal, city's art (AGH got built) and culture.

Like daughter like father I guess.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 4:43 PM
Wiki Ricki

Quote:
Such a shame that you put partisanship ahead of what's good for the city. If you put it out there now, everyone will have a chance to benefit from it: not only the mayor and his team, but anyone interested in running against him next election.
OK ok ok, you guys have twisted my arms. It appears to me like Fred Eisenberger is not about to step down anytime soon. This means that we are basically stuck with the man as our Mayor for the next two years. So I tell you what I'm gonna do Ryan. Later on tonight when I log back on I will share with everyone what I don't like about Eisenberger the Mayor, (not Eisenberger the person), and what I think he needs to do to better himself and his chances of winning the next election. He's doing some things ok like supporting the arts for example but when I log back on later on tonight I will share with everyone what really bugs me about him as our leader and what I would like to see him do about it in order to change mine and other people's opinion about him.

The last thing I want to do here is get into fights with people. I think we have more than enough of that type of behavior happening down there at City Hall and we the citizens we need to show our politicians and show them the way by working together. If everyone in this town started working together we would get a lot more accomplished.

Hamilton is a great town. There's a lot of work that needs to be done and everyone has a part to play in it. Together we can make it all happen, the Future belongs to Hamilton!!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 2:33 AM
Wiki Ricki

Well gang, I've had some time to think this one over and I'm not going to post-up everything that I think Eisenberger has made a mistake in. Instead, what I've decided to do is to throw my support 100% behind Fred Eisenberger the rest of the way because to try and make him look bad would also be trying to make Hamilton look bad and since he is our leader and Mayor and he has a HUGE responsibility, he needs all the help and support that he can get so from this day forward til the next election I am backing Eisenberger and throwing my support behind him 100%.

If he needs any assistance in any way that I think I can help in then I will do my best to help him out the best way that I can!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 4:01 AM
Wiki Ricki

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
Welcome to Hamilton.
Thanks.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 12:32 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Instead, what I've decided to do is to throw my support 100% behind Fred Eisenberger the rest of the way because to try and make him look bad would also be trying to make Hamilton look bad and since he is our leader and Mayor and he has a HUGE responsibility, he needs all the help and support that he can get so from this day forward til the next election I am backing Eisenberger and throwing my support behind him 100%.
Here's an idea: support him when you think he's doing the right thing, and challenge him when you think he's doing the wrong thing. It's not an all-or-nothing proposition, and political leaders benefit from timely constructive criticism.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 3:17 PM

+1

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 7:59 PM
Wiki Ricki

Quote:
Here's an idea: support him when you think he's doing the right thing, and challenge him when you think he's doing the wrong thing. It's not an all-or-nothing proposition, and political leaders benefit from timely constructive criticism.
Ok ok ok, once again Ryan you have twisted my arm so I'll tell you what I'm going to do. When I log back on later on tonight I will list and point out to everyone the areas that I would like to see Mayor Fred Eisenberger make some improvements in.

Cheers!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 12:14 AM

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 5:37 PM
Wiki Ricki

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Funny. Now some of you might think that I don't have anything to add here but I have plenty to say when it comes to Fred Eisenberger our Mayor, the people's leader and champion.

The good news here is Mayor Fred is making progress and he's heading in the right direction and starting to do all the things, great and small, that he needs to do in order to get re-elected. In the beginning some might argue that he got in because the last election was a protest vote but now we are seeing a man who is growing right before our very eyes and shaping up into the leader that this city needs and deserves. All of this spells bad news for all those individuals out there seriously contemplating making a challenge for the Mayor's seat. I think the biggest mistake that anyone of them right now could make is to under-estimate what Mayor Fred Eisenberger does the rest of the way for the city of Hamilton.

I just want to be careful here and really reflect first on what I have to say before coming out and posting it plus to me timing is everything. Some of what I have to say could get scary and since I'm using the word scary here and since we are only three days away from Halloween I feel that maybe it might be best that I post-up my tips and suggestions for Mayor Fred, our leader, on Halloween night............

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 8:18 PM

Shouldn't you be handing candies out then?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 9:24 PM
Closed account

Candy for Fred!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 2:36 AM
Wiki Ricki

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Shouldn't you be handing candies out then?
I'll be out trick or treatin'.......

.....when I get home that night with my 6 bags of candy I will post up my scary Fred Eisenberger post.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy