HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:22 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton the greatest city by 2020?

City council agrees to disagree on new vision

Nicole Macintyre
The Hamilton Spectator
(Nov 1, 2007)

Do you think Hamilton could become the greatest city in the world by 2020?

Would you laugh if council made it their vision?

Mayor Fred Eisenberger suspects so. He steered councillors and senior management away from the suggested vision yesterday, arguing for a more realistic target.

"It doesn't ring true to me," he said of the world title. "I can't sell that."

The city is paying Mac professor Chris Bart almost $50,000 to help Hamilton develop a new strategic vision. He spent eight hours yesterday teaching the city's leadership about the power of an effective mission statement and helping them write their own.

After selecting common values and a mission statement, council and management stalled on picking a vision for the city when they couldn't decide how high to strive for excellence. They agreed Hamilton should aim to be the greatest city, but where? In Southwestern Ontario? Ontario? Canada? North America? The world? The universe?

Councillor Brad Clark fought for the world, arguing a vision statement is meant to aim for the stars.

"Why aspire to be mediocre?"

He had the support of the majority of the room, except for a couple of people including Eisenberger. The mayor said the city's vision needs to be more attainable, like "Hamilton will be one of the top five cities in Canada by 2020."

After Bart explained the new vision had to be unanimous among council and staff to ensure they all commit to making it happen, he agreed to suspend the discussion until the group meets again on Dec. 6. At that meeting he also plans to help the team develop the measurements to ensure they put their goals and vision into action.

Bart, a recognized guru in his field, is being paid $49,000 for 14 days work, equalling about $3,500 a day. Eisenberger, who spearheaded the initiative, said the money is well-spent to help the city develop a strategy for the future. Though mission statements have been developed before -- a similar exercise after amalgamation led to similar statements about values and goals -- this is an important step for the new council, he said.

nmacintyre@thespec.com

905-526-3299

Vision decision

Professor Chris Bart asked councillors and senior managers to submit what they believe should be the city's top values. Yesterday he asked the group to whittle down the 48 submissions to seven key values. After several hours of discussion, here's what they picked: 1. Respect 2. Innovation 3. Honesty 4. Accountability 5. Teamwork 6. Excellence 7. Leadership. Bart completed the same exercise for developing a mission statement, breaking the group into small teams to write mission statements before voting on the best one. Here's the city's new mission statement: "At the City of Hamilton, our mission is to provide high quality services in a fiscally responsible, environmentally sustainable and compassionate manner, in order to ensure a healthy, safe and prosperous community. "We engage our citizens and promote a fair, diverse and accepting community. "We are a skilled, knowledgeable, collaborative and respectful organization that thrives on innovation and quality customer service. "We are led by a forward-thinking council. "The team shows leadership in carrying out their responsibilities and is valued and appreciated for their contributions and accomplishments." Council and staff couldn't agree on the city's new vision after a thorough discussion, so Bart has given them a few weeks to ponder the statement, which must be limited to one line.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:33 PM
Closed account

you beat me to it...I was going to start a thread on this too.

Fred sounds a bit goofy here. perhaps 'greatest city in the world' is a bit insane (paris, new york, london etc....all claim that title) but I think I'd like them to set their eyes on the greatest city in Canada.
Why not??

Size shouldn't matter in a small country like ours.
Portland is constantly being ranked number 1 in a whole host of areas and their tiny for a US city.

What do people think?? "5th best city in south-central-western Ontario with a harbour, escarpment and factories"?? or "best city in Canada"?

or anything in between.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

I would go bold and say the "best city in the world". If you go with "best city in Canada" then you've already went closer to being the best city in the world with Canadians standards (health care, public transit, education, social services, etc).

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:50 PM
It's Hammer Time

If you went with "best city in Ontario" than again you've become one or if not the best city in Canada and therefore one of the best city in the world. So they should go with "best city in the world".

Now to do that start making this city pedestrian friendly. Some of the greatest cities in the world are pedestrian friendly.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 6:44 PM
Hammer'd

I think Best City in Ontario aside from Toronto is very achievable... but not in Canada or the world. That's just insane. Hamilton is never going to be a city on the same table as New York, Chicago, Toronto, Los Angeles, etc.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 6:58 PM

I'm with the mayor on this one. Best city in the world is stupid. Hamilton's not New York or London. We're setting ourselves up to fail if we aspire to be the greatest city in the world. Vision statements need to motivate, people will laugh and not take this vision seriously, and nothing will get done. Aspirations should be high but also realistic. Besides, if they were serious, they would say definitively today that we are going with light rail and get the wheels in motion. All great cities have higher order transit.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
After several hours of discussion, here's what they picked: 1. Respect 2. Innovation 3. Honesty 4. Accountability 5. Teamwork 6. Excellence 7. Leadership.

"At the City of Hamilton, our mission is to provide high quality services in a fiscally responsible, environmentally sustainable and compassionate manner, in order to ensure a healthy, safe and prosperous community."

"We engage our citizens and promote a fair, diverse and accepting community.

"We are a skilled, knowledgeable, collaborative and respectful organization that thrives on innovation and quality customer service. "

"We are led by a forward-thinking council. "

"The team shows leadership in carrying out their responsibilities and is valued and appreciated for their contributions and accomplishments."
Why do they waste their time debating over these sentences? After translation from corporatespeak, each of them means the same thing: absolutely nothing.

Looks like the city just wasted $49,000.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 7:45 PM

Don't we want other cities to be good too?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 7:52 PM
Hammer'd

I think the vision should be more specific. Something like greenest city in Canada, or most transit friendly city. We should also be better promoting the things which Hamilton is already: Canada's busiest shipping port, a city of many waterfalls and communities, city with beautiful intact architecture downtown, etc.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 7:59 PM
Closed account

Greenest city I would go for defnitely.
We CAN be much better than TO by the way.
Portland kicks the crap out of nearby glitzy Seattle.
TO is fine, but nothing too great.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 8:21 PM
Hammer'd

I think Hamilton would have to go through a miraculous rebound and Toronto through a devastating depression for Hamilton to come close to it again. I think we lost that closeness after WW2.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 9:33 PM
Closed account

I also like "Greenest City"!!
With the Harbour cleanup, the abundance of Nature Trails, Trees, Parks, Waterfalls etc... and if the city would see that using farmlands for FARMING (perhaps corn for Biofuels??) rather than housing developments, than maybe we can attain such a name/goal for the city.

As for "Greatest City in the World", no. I agree... it'll just make ppl laugh and say "forget this BS!" Ppl laugh when Toronto calls itself "the greatest city in the world", even!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 10:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

I remember last year one author mentioned Hamilton as one of the greenest cities in the world.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 2:07 AM
Pro Urban Degenerate

I think city with the 'most reclaimed urban green space in the world' is attainable for Hamilton by 2020.

or city with 'the most improved rapid transit services in the world' is also attainable.

or city with 'the best 21st century public spaces and streetscapes in the world' is also attainble.

these are tangible things the city could invest in to create.

The best city in the world is absolutely idiotic. Create a slogan that actually gives direction.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 2:35 AM
Closed account

how about "the city that jumped from the 1950's to the 2020's quicker than any other city (except about 60 years too late)".

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:50 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

the problem is most of them don't know what makes a real city in the first place. They have to understand what 'that' is before they try to become the best anything. If they tried to bake the 'best cake in the world' they'd make a Twinkie.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

Opps wrong thread.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:52 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
how about "the city that jumped from the 1950's to the 2020's quicker than any other city (except about 60 years too late)".
that's funny. or the city that fell asleep for 60 years and woke up to find it had a long white beard.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 3:09 AM
It's Hammer Time

Council has its new vision statement.

"To be the best city in Canada to raise a child, promote innovation, engage citizens and provide diverse economic opportunities."

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 3:22 AM

I applaud Eisenberger for having some common sense. This is a title already held by Mississauga, and it doesn't look like it is going to give it up anytime soon. Better Hamilton aim to be the next Windsor or St. Catherines.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy