HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 7:10 AM
Wiki Ricki

Last edited by Boomtown_Hamilton; Oct 19, 2008 at 6:45 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 7:28 AM
Wiki Ricki

Last edited by Boomtown_Hamilton; Oct 19, 2008 at 6:44 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 1:23 PM

As a side note.

I have noticed a lot of filming at Gage park this year compared to 2006 and 2007. I don't know what kind of production they have been, movies, T.V. commercials. But there have been at least 6 days this year where there have been film crews of varying sizes.

Does anybody know what these projects were for?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 1:44 PM
Wiki Ricki

TV commercials and Music videos.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 7:27 PM
Closed account

I'm familiar with most of the people that were involved with the Steelwork Studios project, and many of them were competent people. I would like to note that appearing in 200 films as a background performer hardly constitutes in any way extensive experience, especially enough to consider oneself a higher opinion than those that worked at the studio. In fact, the position of authority as such is laughable.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 8:50 PM
Closed account

Uh. Maybe you should read Boomtown's posts through again. He did work at the studio. My own connections in the local film scene also attest to the lack of knowledge and experience (to put it kindly) on the part of the Steelworks team.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 9:51 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Uh. Maybe you should read Boomtown's posts through again. He did work at the studio. My own connections in the local film scene also attest to the lack of knowledge and experience (to put it kindly) on the part of the Steelworks team.
True, but by comparison we're talking about the pot calling the kettle black. Involvement in community film projects and background work is hardly an authoritative position to take on geo-political influences on provincial and municipal involvement in the film business. The local "scene" here in Hamilton, when not imported directly from Toronto productions (or personnel), seems largely composed of amateur groups that exist below the independent level, and can hardly make claims to be anything above community projects, rather than serious businesses - which the studio at least made the attempt to be. C.J. Productions would be an excellent example of this - amateurish productions barely put together by unprofessional teams.

I won't make any specific claims to have hung around the office myself, though I do know several of the people involved myself - and on the upper levels, most of the individuals involved were either coming from a management position in business or entertainment, and several of their volunteers had also been involved as crew on productions in Toronto (or at the very least came from accredited diploma or graduate programs in media, broadcasting and film).

Furthermore, if the business was run by incompetent people, wouldn't making a claim towards having worked - at a lower level, mind you, unless I'm speaking to one of the VP;s - at such an endeavor discredit claims regarding having an authoritative position this issue? Especially if they were willing to remain at such a place for months at a time?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 6:59 AM
Wiki Ricki

Last edited by Boomtown_Hamilton; Oct 31, 2008 at 10:06 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy