HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePinion View Post
You also contravene your own suggestion when you write that "your final sentence would be more accurate if it read [...]". This is a categorical declaration predicated on your own subjective view of the matter. It could very well be an objective fact that McGuinty did mismanage Ontario's economy.
On the contrary, I am being objective when I say that Flaherty's comments are his perception on how McGuinty is managing Ontario's economy.

Indeed, a declarative sentence claiming mismanagement is purely subjective. I clarified by stating that this is a perception driven by Flaherty's political ambition. I never intended to be sanctimonious, nor did I become subjective in my statement.

Asking for evidence on how the Ontario economy is being mismanaged by the current government is in no way being subjective. Rather, it is asking those offering opinion to support it with fact.

I notice that your previous post again states that McGuinty's economic policy performs poorly. How so? Can you provide examples of what, in your opinion, is poor economic policy?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 3:00 PM
Closed account

guys...go check the amount of money Ontario sends to Ottawa and how much we get back compared with other provinces.
we're subsidizing most of the frickin country. Ottawa is completely dropping the ball here and won't earn a single urban seat if they keep up this bullcrap.
Ontario would be wise to start investigating options to leave Canada and go it alone. As much as I'd hate to see that, we might not have any choice if the feds keep raping and pillaging us constantly.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 5:02 PM
Bobo in Purgatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
On the contrary, I am being objective when I say that Flaherty's comments are his perception on how McGuinty is managing Ontario's economy.

Indeed, a declarative sentence claiming mismanagement is purely subjective. I clarified by stating that this is a perception driven by Flaherty's political ambition. I never intended to be sanctimonious, nor did I become subjective in my statement.

Asking for evidence on how the Ontario economy is being mismanaged by the current government is in no way being subjective. Rather, it is asking those offering opinion to support it with fact.

I notice that your previous post again states that McGuinty's economic policy performs poorly. How so? Can you provide examples of what, in your opinion, is poor economic policy?

You're attempting to draw me into a political debate which I'm simply not willing to have.

The nub of our dispute arises out of your attack on the accuracy of my prior statement. The problem is that you seem to have conflated the concept of "accuracy" with that of "objectivity". These are not interchangeable. An "accurate" statement entails verity. An "objective" statement, on the other hand, entails only lack of bias or disinterestedness. A statement which is not "objective" may nonetheless be perfectly "accurate" in that it correctly describes a given state of affairs regardless of the motivations which prompted it. Truth and bias are certainly not mutually exclusive.

To the extent that you confused accuracy with objectivity, you did indeed "become subjective" in your statement. To challenge the accuracy of my prior statement is also to challenge its truthfulness, which by extension is to challenge the truthfulness of Flaherty's own statement as well. Such a challenge, being political, is almost of necessity subjective.

I might very well have written "He is just laying the groundwork by pointing out what he believes to be McGuinty's economic mismanagement of the province" but that would have been awkward and schoolmarmish. The sentence I chose was, granted, less objective in tenor, but it was not per se less accurate. To determine the accuracy of the statement we would have to engage in protracted political debate. And political debate being what it is, we would probably never arrive at a mutually satisfactory conclusion. When it comes down to it, accuracy and objectivity are concepts not really amenable to the political arena.

I still don't see why - even granting the possibility that you do understand the conceptual distinction between accuracy and objectivity - you felt it necessary to criticize my post. Yes it could have been worded more objectively, but why need it have been? This is a discussion forum. Bias of some sort is implied in virtually every substantive statement on here. To point out that one statement might not have been utterly objective in viewpoint is moot, pedantic, and yes, very much sanctimonious.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 7:07 PM

Quote:
You're attempting to draw me into a political debate which I'm simply not willing to have.
Then why are you posting in a Business, Politics and the Economy discussion forum?

Quote:
I still don't see why - even granting the possibility that you do understand the conceptual distinction between accuracy and objectivity - you felt it necessary to criticize my post. Yes it could have been worded more objectively, but why need it have been? This is a discussion forum. Bias of some sort is implied in virtually every substantive statement on here. To point out that one statement might not have been utterly objective in viewpoint is moot, pedantic, and yes, very much sanctimonious.
As you point out yourself in your last post, this is a discussion forum and therefore anything you post here is open for discussion by any of the other participants. Since I am a forum participant, I have every right to make comment, just as you and any other participant does. If you feel my comments are outside of the usage guidelines for the forum, I invite you to forward them to a moderator for his/her review.

However, at risk of sounding sanctimonius once again, should anyone disagree or challenge a comment you make in this forum, it is well within their right to do so and you'll just have to have a coke and a smile and deal with it. After all, as evidenced in your last post here, I am certainly not the only one here who can be accused of sanctimony.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 7:53 PM
Bobo in Purgatory

Quote:
Then why are you posting in a Business, Politics and the Economy discussion forum?
I made a casual political remark which was on topic. I didn't care to extend that remark into a debate. I offered some brief follow up but that was all I was interested in doing.

Quote:
As you point out yourself in your last post, this is a discussion forum and therefore anything you post here is open for discussion by any of the other participants. Since I am a forum participant, I have every right to make comment, just as you and any other participant does. If you feel my comments are outside of the usage guidelines for the forum, I invite you to forward them to a moderator for his/her review.

However, at risk of sounding sanctimonius once again, should anyone disagree or challenge a comment you make in this forum, it is well within their right to do so and you'll just have to have a coke and a smile and deal with it. After all, as evidenced in your last post here, I am certainly not the only one here who can be accused of sanctimony.
I never for an instant challenged your right to criticize. Your criticism seemed to me petty and inappropriate - that is why I questioned it. Certainly every right carries with it the legitimate expectation that it will be exercised in a reasonable and appropriate manner. I simply happen to feel that you did not exercise it in such a way.

I harbour no personal resentment and would certainly not consider forwarding anyone's remarks to a moderator for review.

I maintain you have the right to say whatever you like. You can criticize me or anyone else all you want. In fact, I would encourage you to do so. Just don't be surprised when the response you elicit isn't always positive or agreeable.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 8:18 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

How about a response to brownfields?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 8:30 PM
Bobo in Purgatory

Good idea.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy