HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 3:30 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise_of_the_West View Post
Great Pics, really shows how fast the progress is. I noticed that the former bus station at westside rec center now has a sizable hole in it for the trench, and it only closed on the weekend. If only all city projects could be this efficent.

Also is anyone aware of development plans under the elevated portions of the guideway? Someone told me about a project in Zurich there they are putting a large (i think covered) market under their part of elevated track. I'll try and find some more info on this, as it only was mentioned to me breifly. But it seems like a good way to get rid of the zombie plauge that will no doubt attack the sunnyside area.
Berlin's S-Bahn stations are a great example of how to make the best use of elevated tracks. I especially like Hackerscher Markt and Alexanderplatz.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 4:36 PM

Anyone have pics of under-track utilization?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise_of_the_West View Post
Great Pics, really shows how fast the progress is. I noticed that the former bus station at westside rec center now has a sizable hole in it for the trench, and it only closed on the weekend. If only all city projects could be this efficent.

Also is anyone aware of development plans under the elevated portions of the guideway? Someone told me about a project in Zurich there they are putting a large (i think covered) market under their part of elevated track. I'll try and find some more info on this, as it only was mentioned to me breifly. But it seems like a good way to get rid of the zombie plauge that will no doubt attack the sunnyside area.
The trench you saw was for a storm line that is being installed, with the exception of a manhole everything is covered up again. The LRT trench on that side wont start for a little while yet.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 6:16 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
Anyone have pics of under-track utilization?
I am still terrible at posting pictures here using image shack (or just lazy), but here are some links:

Hackescher Markt
Hackesher Markt
Alexanderplatz

Hope that helps.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I am still terrible at posting pictures here using image shack (or just lazy), but here are some links:

Hackescher Markt
Hackesher Markt
Alexanderplatz

Hope that helps.
Interesting, thanks. Those look more like permanent structures with tracks over top (of course! ) than what I was expecting

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 7:06 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
Interesting, thanks. Those look more like permanent structures with tracks over top (of course! ) than what I was expecting
Yeah, those are the stations themselves. There are some areas where other uses have been put under the tracks. Things like bars and such. Too bad Berlin doesn't streetview, because it would be really easy to show what I am talking about.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 8:54 PM

Here are a couple links showing the use of S-Bahn-Bögen (archways) around the Friedrichstraße station and in the Georgenstraße:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43210187@N08/3996304334/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75406406@N00/1889901570/

London's also full of examples of businesses tucked into the archways of elevated tracks.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 5:03 AM

Love the idea, but I don't see why development would happen under the line in the short term - why would 10 Ave businesses give up their parking interests?

They are in a nice situation - CP has the right of way, and they have a canopy over the leased parking. Long term, it would be great, but rezoning and sale of CP parking lands would be needed.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 8:01 AM

The city has posted some amazing new pictures from along the West LRT route:

Guideway segments:

Source: westlrt.ca

Looks to be about 3m long, and roughly 1km of elevated means 300+ of these need to be made.

Millenium Park overhead view

Nice overhead shot of the launching truss which shows how massive it is.

Westbrook overhead view

Sarcee overhead view:

You can see the detour starting to take shape south of the current intersection.

And some other random shots of Sunalta, 17th ave, Millenium Park and other areas of the route.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 6:20 AM

They've started mounting the fixed part of the truss launcher onto the first couple columns at Millenium Park, so won't be long until we see it in operation. And they've also poured the first of the two columns for the span that will support the guideway as it crosses the CP right of way by 14th Street.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 7:23 PM
I'm the bear on the right

A large, mobile crane is being setup right now at the Westbrook Stn site.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 7:05 PM
Editor

Thanks for posting those Mersar!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 11:06 PM

The first of the support pillars for the guideway are finished and have the forms off. It was a refreshing change to see that they actually didn't just go with a straight, boring concrete pillar and gave them some aesthetic appeal as well. I quite like them and it bodes well for the rest of the project.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
The first of the support pillars for the guideway are finished and have the forms off. It was a refreshing change to see that they actually didn't just go with a straight, boring concrete pillar and gave them some aesthetic appeal as well. I quite like them and it bodes well for the rest of the project.
pic's please???

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 4:17 AM

Was doing some counting as I drove past this afternoon. 12 columns are up at Sunalta for the station, plus the rebar and forms are up for the first guideway column to the east. Both columns for the first of the two spans that hold the guideway up as it crosses the CPR tracks are done plus one more rebar is up. 3 piers in Millenium Park are done, 2 of which have parts of the truss launcher attached. Columns crossing 9th ave and 14th street are at least as far as rebar up for most that I can see. Below ground work happening for the columns at Bow Trail and between there and Sunalta.

And I saw a huge mobile crane owned by Sterling Cranes pulling into the site at Millenium Park this morning, my guess after looking at the cranes that Sterling owns it was a 300 ton (if not one of their larger ones) and likely here to be used for moving the launching truss into place. It was quite a bit bigger then the huge Mammoet or Stampede cranes that we usually see being used for bridge girder installation.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 4:21 AM

Looks like things are getting exciting on this project. I love watching mass transit lines being constructed at this stage.

PS - The 1 km elevated section and the 1 elevated station gives Calgary a taste of what it is like watching the skytrain get built. It is a great experience for any infrastructure junkie, hehe.

Keep up the good updates guys!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Looks like things are getting exciting on this project. I love watching mass transit lines being constructed at this stage.

PS - The 1 km elevated section and the 1 elevated station gives Calgary a taste of what it is like watching the skytrain get built. It is a great experience for any infrastructure junkie, hehe.

Keep up the good updates guys!
I think a few SSP-ers are adding Stampede to their vacation plans this year, with a some infrastructure geeking on a 'gotta rest' day.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
I think a few SSP-ers are adding Stampede to their vacation plans this year, with a some infrastructure geeking on a 'gotta rest' day.
Wait, people rest during Stampede? Was I doing it wrong all these years?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thager View Post
pic's please???
Are you gonna make me walk ALL the way down the hill with my camera??

Fine, I'll take one for the team.

p.s. they have kind of an art deco feel to them which me like very much.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 7:35 PM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
Are you gonna make me walk ALL the way down the hill with my camera??
Whiner. Walking is good for ya.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure