HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 1:00 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Is something stopping or preventing you from creating a 3D model of another city?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 1:56 AM

I like the Toronto ones. It's the best we have!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Is something stopping or preventing you from creating a 3D model of another city?
I'd say for most of us, the thing stopping us is SKILL. We all appreciate what you do Koops, but the truth is this isn't "Future Canadian Skylines", it's "Future Toronto Skyline". That's no shade - just fact.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 4:18 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEnd604 View Post
I'd say for most of us, the thing stopping us is SKILL. We all appreciate what you do Koops, but the truth is this isn't "Future Canadian Skylines", it's "Future Toronto Skyline". That's no shade - just fact.
If you've got renders of future skylines for other Canadian cities you're free to post them. Koops is kind enough to create some and post them here for us.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
If you've got renders of future skylines for other Canadian cities you're free to post them. Koops is kind enough to create some and post them here for us.
Yeah, my point is totally lost here. I'll just avoid this thread.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Uh, yeah. Software, skill, time. I’m saying those who have the means, it’d be nice if they did one for other cities other than just Toronto repeatedly. Kudos to you Koops for keeping this thread alive and I never said there was anything wrong with it. However 100% of the posts are of Toronto and it would be great to see the other parts of Canada represented as it is called “future CANADIAN skylineS” not “the future TORONTO skyline” .

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 10:55 PM
Ham-burgher

Here... courtesy ericmacm in the Hamilton sub-forum.

May koops65 and steveve and others continue to inspire renders of future skylines all across the land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've last done an update (I have been pretty busy with work), but I've been slowly working on a few of them and have the next version of Hamilton ready. I have added a few new developments (101 Hunter East, 117 Jackson East, 231 Main West) and updated the massing of some of the older ones. I have also started tracking my list in a Google Sheet, I have attached the hyperlink.

As always, I hope that you all enjoy!

The list so far:

Google Sheets List of Hamilton Developments

Total # of new towers in skyline: 58

Hamilton Watermarked V8-1 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Hamilton Watermarked V8-2 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Hamilton Watermarked V8-3 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Hamilton Watermarked V8-4 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Hamilton Watermarked V8-5 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 10:58 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
Uh, yeah. Software, skill, time. I’m saying those who have the means, it’d be nice if they did one for other cities other than just Toronto repeatedly. Kudos to you Koops for keeping this thread alive and I never said there was anything wrong with it. However 100% of the posts are of Toronto and it would be great to see the other parts of Canada represented as it is called “future CANADIAN skylineS” not “the future TORONTO skyline” .
Seriously?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 11:18 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Seriously?
Must be down to 98.2% now. Maybe less.

Your work is wonderful. Keep it up.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 1:28 AM
Volatile Pacivist

It'll be great to see all those empty lots get eaten up! I have to wonder though, does Hamilton have some sort of height limit?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 1:16 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
It'll be great to see all those empty lots get eaten up! I have to wonder though, does Hamilton have some sort of height limit?
Yes. The city has started trying to enforce one level with the escarpment.

Also, worth noting, a decent chunk of those renders are either under construction or topped out already, it's just that google hasn't updated in a bit.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 5:26 PM

A rough mock-up of what's coming between Tunney's Pasture and Dominion (to be renamed Kichi Sibi once the O-Train extensions opens in 2025).

Two (2) buildings have been completed and four (4) are u/c.

Parkdale by harley613, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 6:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Well, if you insist on Moncton embarrassing itself, BlackYear (one of the Moncton forumers) posted this perspective on the new 20 Record Street development under construction in the downtown core. This is incomplete however, and does not include the recently approved 12 storey St. Bernard Square project, or several other recently built buildings, such as the eight storey FiveFive Queen project which should be visible in the top left corner of the image.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Aug 28, 2021 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 7:39 PM

not embarrassing at all!!.. Imagine all those surface parking lots getting filled up.. Moncton would have a nice little dense triangle of development. Hope to see it someday! Also, thanks for adding to an otherwise Toronto centric thread.. nice seeing all the future proposals.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 12:29 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

And I thought Hamilton had a lot of parking... oh my.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 12:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
And I thought Hamilton had a lot of parking... oh my.
We're working on it - a realignment of the street grid south of Main Street, a planned relocation of the city market and probably the city library to a widened and pedestrianized Downing Street, the entire block that Assumption Place sits on now belongs to a single development company (Ashford), simplifying negotiations with city hall regarding a massive redevelopment, etc.

The city however remains allergic to the concept of building parking structures, hence the reliance on surface parking. This will have to change, but Monctonians prefer to park close to their destination, and hate to have to pay for parking. This attitude will have to change.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 6:17 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
does Hamilton have some sort of height limit?
Yeah, as Beedok noted the Niagara Escarpment has been set as the limit. For sites right downtown that's around 100m max building height, but less for those closer to the escarpment (there's a slope at its base) or on the west side of downtown where there's a rise.

A few buildings proposed before that policy came into effect are going to be a bit taller than the escarpment edge, but not by much.

And there's discussion about a 45-storey tower as part of a big redevelopment of a pier on the harbourfront (you can see it in Eric's last two renders). It will exceed the height of the escarpment, and be the tallest building in the central city, but will not be taller in geodetic height than the current tallest.

There are also three condo towers proposed in the suburban east end (Stoney Creek) near the lake, of 48 to 59 storeys, though that proposal is being rejigged a bit and they may not be as tall. There is much local opposition, but it's on a site that has pre-existing zoning from decades ago allowing for such height so the developer has leeway... it was forgotten over the years as the city updated its regulations.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 9:07 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

191 Bay, with observation deck views to the North, South and West:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 2:19 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Yes. The city has started trying to enforce one level with the escarpment.

Also, worth noting, a decent chunk of those renders are either under construction or topped out already, it's just that google hasn't updated in a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Yeah, as Beedok noted the Niagara Escarpment has been set as the limit. For sites right downtown that's around 100m max building height, but less for those closer to the escarpment (there's a slope at its base) or on the west side of downtown where there's a rise.

A few buildings proposed before that policy came into effect are going to be a bit taller than the escarpment edge, but not by much.

And there's discussion about a 45-storey tower as part of a big redevelopment of a pier on the harbourfront (you can see it in Eric's last two renders). It will exceed the height of the escarpment, and be the tallest building in the central city, but will not be taller in geodetic height than the current tallest.

There are also three condo towers proposed in the suburban east end (Stoney Creek) near the lake, of 48 to 59 storeys, though that proposal is being rejigged a bit and they may not be as tall. There is much local opposition, but it's on a site that has pre-existing zoning from decades ago allowing for such height so the developer has leeway... it was forgotten over the years as the city updated its regulations.
Seems like a lot of cities across the country have aggressive height limits. The majority even.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 11:24 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Seems like a lot of cities across the country have aggressive height limits. The majority even.
Hamilton's actually just got overturned, apparently.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada