HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 3:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
Interesting enough, Hwy 93 through most of Kootenay National Park probably has more favorable terrain to widen to a freeway than TCH east of Golden. I have no idea how it would go west from the Columbia Valley.

I do wonder if completely different alignment is possible for east of either Kamloops or the Okanagan Valley? The Coquhalla Highway was a brand new route that also had difficult terrain, but was able to be constructed to freeway standards with mostly grass medians. Obviously it won't happen, but an "Interior Thruway" following high plateaus and possibly tunnels could have been an option. It could have been tolled while the former two lane route could have remained as the slower, scenic option.
I feel part of the problem is planners thinking they have to follow the old alignment. If you could save billions b going a new route, or by twinning a different highway, it might make more sense.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I feel part of the problem is planners thinking they have to follow the old alignment. If you could save billions b going a new route, or by twinning a different highway, it might make more sense.
I recall reading a BCMoT document a while back that stated something to the effect of wanting to improve highways so they can "connect communities, not bypass them." Combine that with cost and environmental considerations, improvements are limited to the existing route with no significant realignments. That probably also provides a glimpse into some of ideology behind why BC roads are they we they are.

Saying that, it still be interesting to see what would happen if those restraints were removed.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 10:37 AM

These images, wow... Constructions been a long time coming! Feels like we've all been talking about this for years and now it's finally under full swing.

We're going to have an amazing piece of roadway once its all done,

Traffic through the Kicking Horse Canyon Phase 4 construction site by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr

Slope preparation for the future site of Bighorn Bridge by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr

Micro-pile installation for future Big Horn Bridge by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 1:27 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

In photo 2, why do I feel that the excavator’s mounted in a dangerous position…

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 1:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I recall reading a BCMoT document a while back that stated something to the effect of wanting to improve highways so they can "connect communities, not bypass them." Combine that with cost and environmental considerations, improvements are limited to the existing route with no significant realignments. That probably also provides a glimpse into some of ideology behind why BC roads are they we they are.

Saying that, it still be interesting to see what would happen if those restraints were removed.
It is one thing to connect the towns, but if you are creating a freeway to connect Vancouver to the rest of the country through the province via the lowest cost route, an easier route through the mountains can be found. The current routes were surveyed before helicopters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
In photo 2, why do I feel that the excavator’s mounted in a dangerous position…
You'd be surprised what is done to get the job done. It's likely "safe enough".

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 1:39 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Routing-wise, worst comes to worst, we can just convert all the 4 lanes through the towns into RIRO. The speed limit can be probably signed at 80-90 kph through Sorrento, Sicamous, Revelstoke and Golden and at 60-70 kph through more built up ones like Salmon Arm.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 1:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Routing-wise, worst comes to worst, we can just convert all the 4 lanes through the towns into RIRO. The speed limit can be probably signed at 80-90 kph through Sorrento, Sicamous, Revelstoke and Golden and at 60-70 kph through more built up ones like Salmon Arm.
Or build a raised highway.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 2:22 PM

Salmon Arm is the most urban section of the TCH through BC that isn’t easily upgradable to freeway standards (for example the small stretch on the east end of Kamloops only goes through big box stores and strip malls and already has service roads along it, so easily upgradable). All the others (Sicamous, Revelstoke, Golden, etc…) are also easily upgradable to freeway / semi freeway conditions since the TCH largely does not go through their downtowns but instead along the edges of the communities / along their industrial districts.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
These images, wow... Constructions been a long time coming! Feels like we've all been talking about this for years and now it's finally under full swing.

We're going to have an amazing piece of roadway once its all done.
I'm super glad to see that the places that need it the most badly are getting the most attention.

Having watched a video of the old road I'm mostly shocked about how long it went on in such a substandard way. Some may whine about the other 'scary' sections of the Trans-Canada, but this legitimately was scary given the volume of traffic and the state of the road.

Glad to see the progress!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 8:59 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Thanks for posting those photos Bobert - exciting to see work underway for sure.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
It is one thing to connect the towns, but if you are creating a freeway to connect Vancouver to the rest of the country through the province via the lowest cost route, an easier route through the mountains can be found. The current routes were surveyed before helicopters.

You'd be surprised what is done to get the job done. It's likely "safe enough".
All the other access routes were done this way. Its pretty safe, compared to 30 years ago. We are pretty safety conscious now.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 6:40 AM

I just returned from Jasper and was wondering if there are any plans to twin TCH 16 from Hinton to Jasper? Alberta Transportation has plans to twin TCH 16 from Hinton to Jasper National Park, would Parks Canada twin the remaining section to Jasper? The topography seems pretty accommodating, with only relatively small sections requiring blasting or filling in of wetlands. In the 70 km/h zones which feature frequent wildlife crossings (2?), wildlife overpasses could be constructed. I also noticed there are now 3 signallized intersections near Jasper- Maligne Lake Road, Hwy 93A, and Hwy 93/Connaught Dr W (I think it's only a matter of time before Connaught Dr E gets signals). Maybe interchanges near Jasper could be in order. West of Jasper, the topography becomes more challenging and if BC isn't planning to upgrade its portion of TCH 16, there would be no point in twinning that section.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 7:41 AM

Awesome pictures, It's like we're living in 1930s USA! Step forward in road building for sure.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 4:34 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
I just returned from Jasper and was wondering if there are any plans to twin TCH 16 from Hinton to Jasper? Alberta Transportation has plans to twin TCH 16 from Hinton to Jasper National Park, would Parks Canada twin the remaining section to Jasper? The topography seems pretty accommodating, with only relatively small sections requiring blasting or filling in of wetlands. In the 70 km/h zones which feature frequent wildlife crossings (2?), wildlife overpasses could be constructed. I also noticed there are now 3 signallized intersections near Jasper- Maligne Lake Road, Hwy 93A, and Hwy 93/Connaught Dr W (I think it's only a matter of time before Connaught Dr E gets signals). Maybe interchanges near Jasper could be in order. West of Jasper, the topography becomes more challenging and if BC isn't planning to upgrade its portion of TCH 16, there would be no point in twinning that section.
I wouldn’t be holding my breath.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 4:50 AM

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 9:01 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

This is my first time seeing any photo of twinning of B.C.-1 between the 2 National Parks:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc/51401037209/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 3:09 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Hopefully just the start of many more to come.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 5:34 PM

New Satellite Imagery show the TCH104 highway construction in Nova Scotia including the section being twinned between Sutherlands River and Barneys River Station as well as a totally new 4 lane alignment south of Marshy Hope to near Pushie Road. The twinning from Pushie Rd into Antigonish hasn't been up updated in the current imagery.

https://goo.gl/maps/4HJX26rZZpXpXfgA6

The plan is to have two-way traffic moving over to the new twinned lanes this fall while the existing lanes and bridges are rebuilt. Traffic will still be on the section of the current 104 through Marshy Hope.....not the new 4-lane alignment. That section will not open until all is complete in 2023. Total new construction: 38km.

https://hwy104twinning.ca

Last edited by ghYHZ; Sep 19, 2021 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 10:02 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Decent chunk of twinning there.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 10:27 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Decent chunk of twinning there.
Indeed. 38 km (via P3).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada