HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 10:39 PM

[Ancaster] 442-462 Wilson Street E (4-7 storeys)

New preliminary proposal for Amica retirement home 185 units. No commercial . From the Open House put on GSP today. Needs OP amendments and ZA for LTC and 7 storeys (only 2.5 storeys)

Last edited by King&James; Apr 6, 2021 at 10:56 PM. Reason: title block should reflect just preliminary

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 3:53 AM

They will loose their mind over this!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 4:21 AM
It's a nickname from work

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
They will loose their mind over this!!!!!
They already have. This is what the developers knocked down the Brandon house for. Pity it wasn't designated, or at least moved.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 12:27 PM

Horrible location. Horrible intersection to add yet more traffic. Cars turning into the driveway off Rousseaux just, what 30-40m from the intersection while others making that right hand turn off of Wilson is going to cause a log jam. Rear enders galore. I don't see any ingress or egress from Wilson before the lights.
Also, imagine the increased backups on upbound Wilson and Old Ancaster during heaviest traffic hours.
Sad that this is what the Brandon house was sacrificed for.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulkvedis Pods View Post
Horrible location. Horrible intersection to add yet more traffic. Cars turning into the driveway off Rousseaux just, what 30-40m from the intersection while others making that right hand turn off of Wilson is going to cause a log jam. Rear enders galore. I don't see any ingress or egress from Wilson before the lights.
Also, imagine the increased backups on upbound Wilson and Old Ancaster during heaviest traffic hours.
It's a retirement home - traffic levels are low, especially peak period traffic patterns as none of the residents are commuting for work.

Sure, the ideal would probably be to provide access from Brookside Avenue from a traffic operations perspective, but that won't fly for obvious reasons.

It's also a single, relatively small building. Traffic will be fine.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 4:35 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulkvedis Pods View Post
Rousseaux is 4 lanes where that entry is situated. And I have to believe people making the right turn from Wilson onto the Rousseaux merge lane will surely see any vehicles turning into the site with plenty of time to let them do so without a collision. Similar for those turning into the site heading westbound -- yeah they'll be in the left turn lane, potentially blocking someone who wants to make a left onto Wilson, but this happens without incident on far busier roads in sections of the city with lots of activity (all that retail land use along Upper James or Queenston or Centennial being prime examples... they all have centre turn lanes, but the traffic levels are much higher)

Innsertnamehere's point about the likely traffic levels makes sense.

Do people expect residents of these buildings to all be leaving and coming home at the same time? That would be nonsense. If this was a regular apartment/condo, it would still be nonsense. I live west of downtown, and often drive down Hunter or other streets at various times of day (including "rush hour") past the large 20- to 25-storey apartment buildings that must be home to 200+ units, and it's rare to see a single car entering or leaving their lots at one time, let alone more than that. That was my experience living in a Burlington midrise for many years too, as a user of the parking garage... I was rarely behind or in front of another tenant driving in or out of the parking lots.

Traffic worries are so overblown.

Yes it's a shame the original house wasn't preserved. But I'd feel angry if it was just replaced with a monster home, rather than much needed housing for retirees. And it will probably be reconfigured or cut back in size after going through consultation and approvals.

Worst thing about it for me is the mansard roof. I hate that style on new builds.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Rousseaux is 4 lanes where that entry is situated. And I have to believe people making the right turn from Wilson onto the Rousseaux merge lane will surely see any vehicles turning into the site with plenty of time to let them do so without a collision. Similar for those turning into the site heading westbound -- yeah they'll be in the left turn lane, potentially blocking someone who wants to make a left onto Wilson, but this happens without incident on far busier roads in sections of the city with lots of activity (all that retail land use along Upper James or Queenston or Centennial being prime examples... they all have centre turn lanes, but the traffic levels are much higher)

Innsertnamehere's point about the likely traffic levels makes sense.

Do people expect residents of these buildings to all be leaving and coming home at the same time? That would be nonsense. If this was a regular apartment/condo, it would still be nonsense. I live west of downtown, and often drive down Hunter or other streets at various times of day (including "rush hour") past the large 20- to 25-storey apartment buildings that must be home to 200+ units, and it's rare to see a single car entering or leaving their lots at one time, let alone more than that. That was my experience living in a Burlington midrise for many years too, as a user of the parking garage... I was rarely behind or in front of another tenant driving in or out of the parking lots.

Traffic worries are so overblown.

Yes it's a shame the original house wasn't preserved. But I'd feel angry if it was just replaced with a monster home, rather than much needed housing for retirees. And it will probably be reconfigured or cut back in size after going through consultation and approvals.

Worst thing about it for me is the mansard roof. I hate that style on new builds.
I salute your optimism regarding traffic flows, but you have to admit that a westbounder making a left turn may have to have their wits about them.
Still, I stand by my stand that this is a horrible site for a seniors' residence. Or a monster home. I am definitely anti-monster home.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 8:32 PM

At the session they noted that the only vehicular access that the city will allow is off Rousseaux and even that is a right in right out. The City is making them extend the median.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 4:37 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
At the session they noted that the only vehicular access that the city will allow is off Rousseaux and even that is a right in right out. The City is making them extend the median.
That will ease some of the concerns.

The merge lane can also be extended if need be.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 9:19 PM

Approved by OLT with a thespec link

http://https://www.thespec.com/news/...97932289c.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs