HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 11:54 PM

doesn't need to be a permanent closure...just needs to be a 'woonerf' or shared space where cars need to drive extremely slow and mix with peds/bikes.... this street design is used all over the world, and makes it super easy for an evening or weekend closure when desired.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 12:10 AM

^This has my vote.

Not sure about Hughson, though. Will that new development at Kresge's have lots of street-level stuff happening?

My experience with successful ped zones is that they're largely fueled by heavy tourist traffic. Without that, businesses will not be happy with a trickle of locals cruising down the street on occasion.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 12:43 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^This has my vote.

Not sure about Hughson, though. Will that new development at Kresge's have lots of street-level stuff happening?

My experience with successful ped zones is that they're largely fueled by heavy tourist traffic. Without that, businesses will not be happy with a trickle of locals cruising down the street on occasion.
You can't shut down hughson - the below grade parking lot entrance will be there, so there will constantly be cars going in and out. In addition hughson street has never been a pedestrian heavy area because the entire wall of the right house is basically that.. a wall.. and the other side was the bingo hall with the smokers exit and the bus route.

So it makes sense to shut down king william st - esp. since it's not a through st regardless - it ends at jackson, but not to shut down hughson which needs to still be functional. Hughson st basically functions like a huge alleyway, and is one way if I recall, and the north and south facing roads in the core are arterial roads. Heck if I recall king william street still has the interlocking blocks, which makes it bad for high volumes of traffic anyways.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 1:38 AM
Burger Connoisseur

I didn't think about the underground parking entrance... yeah I guess closing Hughson is out of the question then.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 1:18 AM

Did anyone else see a tweet or Instagram post that said core urban taking over the old arliss building, now home to Salvation army outlet?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 1:37 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Did anyone else see a tweet or Instagram post that said core urban taking over the old arliss building, now home to Salvation army outlet?
Great find. I've made a thread for it here.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 7:24 PM
Forever forward.

Cell shots from today:

Lots of change coming to this block in the next few years...

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 7:40 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I always thought the rear end of The Right House was much newer, a 1970s-80s era addition. Looks like it's been there since at least the '30s and was just heavily modified with the orange paneling, window alterations, and the glass extension facing King William.
Actually historically it IS new. This is the building that USED to be at the back of the right house:

Also stumbled across this in the archives.. this isn't OUR kresges but it is the only surviving example it seems of the full facade with the original fountain art deco elements before they ripped them all out and covered them all up on all of their branches that had the ziggurat design:

In its prime:

in its later "updated" state:

and a very, VERY rare colour image of the fountains (I believe where the hole is on the side where one is missing is the only example left that was kept after this building was demolished):

(theirs lacks the "eagles wings" motif on the bottom of the window that our kresges had - but this would have been what ours looked like colour-wise)

This is the only other surviving building where there is a copy of the fountain left - I had posted the image quite a few pages back - the same mould was used on both buildings, and a piece of the ziggurat still exists in victoria.

Last edited by Chronamut; Feb 6, 2019 at 2:18 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 3:28 PM
Ham-burgher

That's neat -- I wonder how many other cities had a Kresges of such similar appearance. There were a lot of stores.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 4:02 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
That's neat -- I wonder how many other cities had a Kresges of such similar appearance. There were a lot of stores.
I've pretty much seen them all - ours and victoria were basically the only ones with this design - the others were similar but still different. It seemed to be a canadian style thing.

Here are some other designs:

(former kresges)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 1:47 AM

Ideally I would have preferred they put some life back into that building and built on the rear portion of the property. It was a wonderful era in architecture.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:12 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Ideally I would have preferred they put some life back into that building and built on the rear portion of the property. It was a wonderful era in architecture.
Sadly I think that building was doomed - they would have had to rebrick the entire exterior. That and as I have said before - yellow brick ages very horribly.

In addition when it became the bingo hall I think to many it became one of the most iconic symbols of hamiltons core decline. Same with when the lister block was boarded up, and eatons moved out of the eatons center.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 10:53 PM
Forever forward.

Today, photos by myself:

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 11:21 PM

Curious what historical structure left this memory. Definitely not the Kresge's building...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 1:44 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Curious what historical structure left this memory. Definitely not the Kresge's building...

There were residential houses that used to run along this street beside the older building that used to be on this corner. We know this historically, however no images most likely exist anymore of this cross street as it wasn't a "postcard" view. If I find one I'll post it though.

Ok I found it by looking at the early 1800s map of hamilton. Which of the 2 it is in the circle is up for debate but I think it may be the one in the front as the other appears too high.

Last edited by Chronamut; Mar 21, 2019 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 11:36 PM

Were they residential or more of the shophouse variety?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 3:56 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Were they residential or more of the shophouse variety?
The one in the back looks more like a mansion and the one in front has almost like a steeple, so it may not have even been a "house" at all - what with the double fireplaces and all as evidenced by the twin chimneys on the imprint. Maybe a fusion business/house. I am sure if I tracked down the business logs of the city from this era that showed what businesses were at what location I could probably make a better guesstimate based on the address... but that would be tough as I would have to pinpoint the exact timeline.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 3:56 AM

I think I've found the building that left that print (hope I posted the link right)

https://imgur.com/IXuHLN2

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 5:39 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildishGavino View Post
I think I've found the building that left that print (hope I posted the link right)

Nope thats the building beside the kresges building before they tore it down and extended the kresges building all the way to arliss shoes - the building that left that imprint was covered up by that building and dates back to the 1800s. You can see how its slope partially covered up one of the original chimneys in the imprint.

Also even that building beside the kresges building was not the original building, as the original building sloped down towards the front as evidenced by the original imprint like all the other rowhouses on that block, predating the building imprint as before the rowhouse - or sticking out of the rowhouse side - and thus the early 1800s.

Lots of historical stratum there for sure.

Interestingly enough I chanced upon a roof view of the original kresges and it shows that both those chimneys used to emerge from the roof of it intact, like the kresges building had simply swallowed that original building whole and all that was left were the chimneys sticking out..

What I find fascinating too is that white building above beside the arliss building appears to be a leftover remnant of the ORIGINAL building - like they knocked down 3/4s of it and left the original 1/4 standing.. you can see that "quarter" in the image below even has the roof "bannister" with the almost crenelation on each side of it still intact.

That 3/4s ofthe buildingwas later demolished, kresges was built, then the remaining 1/4 was demolished and kresges was extended further out. If you look at the back of the demolished building as they were demolishing it you can actually see a difference in colour between there 2 sections in the metal beams. You can still see that ancient 'peaked roof" imprint above the kresges roof and one of the "chimneys" appears to have been repurposed.. but still appears to go all the way down and end in a "fireplace" opening at the bottom.

taken from this link:

At the turn of the nineteenth century, the northeast corner of King and Hughson Streets was home to a row of seven narrow stores with stone facades. Many such stores were built in downtown Hamilton in the 1840s and 1850s, using stone from local quarries. They were typically simple in design and utilized a combination of dressed stone, rubble, and sometimes brick. They often included residential quarters “above the shop.” With time, most of them were either demolished or incorporated into larger buildings. Only a few survive in something close to their original form.

The occupants of the block where Kresge’s later appeared included the YMCA, before its elegant stone-trimmed building was opened on James Street South in 1889, along with a saloon, a manufacturer of cabinet and undertaker’s hardware, a dentist named Figliano, the Maccabees Hall, a private bank, and a public bathhouse.

In 1930, the corner site was developed as the Kresge store. In 1949, it enlarged was refurbished in a style favoured by the Kresge chain – buff brick with art-deco ornaments. Porcelain-enamel panels depicted the fountain on the Gore. Unfortunately, the colour scheme of apricot and lemon soiled quickly when exposed to Hamilton air, and the artistic panels were eventually painted over. The building aged badly and periodic suggestions that it be declared a heritage site were never adopted.

To the east, other members of the old stone row were incorporated into another block, which rose two stories higher than the Kresge store. Its best-known occupants were the Adams Department Store and later, Arliss Shoes.

Fully revealed, the party wall which separated Kresge’s and the Adams Building shows us the way that buildings were enlarged and combined over many generations. Small stone and brick buildings were later extended and joined together. Stories were added and a sloping roof disappeared under a flat roof. Most puzzling is the remnant of a stone building, clearly visible in the lower north part of the exposed wall. Probably the oldest segment of the wall, it appears to have been a home, with a low gable roof and two chimneys. Its position is particularly curious; although we cannot be sure, it appears to have faced north toward the alley which once joined Hughson and John Streets. Why someone might have built a stone house facing on an alley in the 1840s or 1850s remains a mystery.

Last edited by Chronamut; Mar 23, 2019 at 6:56 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 2:27 PM

This morning there were cement trucks at this location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton