HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
They do not. In fact they do just the reverse. The Armdale roundabout at rush hour is virtually impossible to enter since outbound traffic from Quinpool and Chebucto clogs it.
It's not virtually impossible, come on now...lol Roundabouts work great, no waiting at traffic lights, traffic moves through very smoothly.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:06 PM

I've waited at enough red lights with no vehicle traffic lately to welcome the efficiency of roundabouts. They are not perfect but they do work.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:14 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Keith does have a point though. It’s a phenomenon of momentum. If traffic starts entering from one side, those from the same side will follow suit, effectively not letting the rest go through. There is one such roundabout in Waterloo, ON, and sometimes I have to fight my way in, which is actually pretty dangerous. Fortunately, the city’s looking to build alternative roads to relieve it.

That’s why cities like Toronto don’t have roundabouts on major arteries. Bref, even U.K. is quietly converting some of theirs to other types of intersections (mainly due to concern over pedestrian and cyclist safety though).

In the context of Burnside Connector interchanges though, prima facie the traffic doesn’t seem heavy enough that one side clogging the roundabout will be a concern. Then again I’m not from the area.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 3:37 PM

I don't disagree with Keith completely, in fact I experienced that very Chebucto Road entrance to the Armdale roundabout at rush hour last summer and found it slow to get in - not impossible, but slow - I may have even posted about it here.

So, yeah, they are not perfect, and the Uteck ones are not the best design, but I think the devil is in the details - if they are well designed and the locations are chosen well, they can be very good. We'll see about the Burnside ones, because those areas are and will be very busy at rush hours.

One other negative, that should be a concern to skyscraper fans, is that they take up a lot of real estate compared to a standard intersection. It's OK in some locations, but potentially could take up space that could be better used to build on in higher density areas...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 5:25 PM

Some of the issues being brought up could be solved with better designs.

They also don't have to take up a lot of space.

The Armdale roundabout is likely too big for its traffic volume. The more volume, the smaller the roundabout should be.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 6:15 PM

I think the Armdale has to much volume for a roundabout. Something like a flyover would probably work better but that isnt going to happen.

Last edited by Haliguy; Feb 7, 2020 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 6:21 PM

I'd be curious how many cars per minute pass through the Armdale roundabout versus the Willow Tree intersection during rush hour. The city must have some data?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 7:41 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Half of the support beams have been installed over the weekend and this week on one of the first overpasses being built. Seems a lot of the equipment including the CAT 390F excavator have been sitting idle for weeks.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 12:34 PM
Just 183 km north of...

Yesterday I was on Burnside Drive approaching Akerley and noticed a backhoe or heavy machinery of some sort operating straight ahead in the distance. I would guess it was in the area of where eventually Burnside Drive and the 107 will meet.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Seems a lot of the equipment including the CAT 390F excavator have been sitting idle for weeks.
Typical of how DTIR builds roads.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 2:36 PM

If they don't have any other jobs where that equipment is needed, there would be no need to move it, so basically store it there until work starts up again where it's needed.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 4:48 PM

I am old enough to remember traveling through the USA in the 1960s when the Interstate highway system was being built and also witnessing major upgrade projects to other roads there. What I saw bears no relation to anything I have ever seen here. There, I saw armies of workers and fleets of heavy equipment working diligently every day. Here there may be 4 or 5 machines working and a small number of workers doing a small stretch. I have never understood it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I am old enough to remember traveling through the USA in the 1960s when the Interstate highway system was being built and also witnessing major upgrade projects to other roads there. What I saw bears no relation to anything I have ever seen here. There, I saw armies of workers and fleets of heavy equipment working diligently every day. Here there may be 4 or 5 machines working and a small number of workers doing a small stretch. I have never understood it.
Maybe that was because the interstate highway project in the US was a federal project with perceived military benefits?

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/interstatemyths.cfm

I don't know if I'm right on this, but my impression is that it was considered a necessity in the US, so the priority was high to complete it ASAP.

I would be curious as to how it would compare to similar construction in current times...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Maybe that was because the interstate highway project in the US was a federal project with perceived military benefits?

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/interstatemyths.cfm

I don't know if I'm right on this, but my impression is that it was considered a necessity in the US, so the priority was high to complete it ASAP.

I would be curious as to how it would compare to similar construction in current times...
Eisenhower hated the NAZI's but he greatly admired the Autobahns that Hilter had built in the thirties. And yes Eisenhower built the American equivalent system for military reasons that corporate America then used to get Nova Scotians California grown produce. Win, Win, Win!! I have driven most of 95.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 1:03 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Is this project dead in the water now?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Is this project dead in the water now?
Quite the contrary. Lots of excavation and roadbed built in from the top of Akerly Dr. Overpass is almost completed at that end as well. Clearing and some excavation done from the end of Burnside drive towards the new extension.

Last edited by hoser111; Oct 3, 2020 at 3:04 PM. Reason: added info

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 3:27 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Interesting. Thanks. I just thought it was dead since nobody’s been talking about it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 7:47 PM

Not a great shot - back in July. Inbound on Akerley just heading into the S turn.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 2:26 AM

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 12:27 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I just looked at https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...90293&page=437 #8740 again. Is Bedford Bypass supposed to be opened up for development after Burnside Connector's tied in???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure