HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaygull View Post
https://www.919thebend.ca/2024/04/10...raws-concerns/

The NIMBYs are not presenting a strong argument. I feel that this one has a good chance to see the light of day.
Probably doesn't have much to do with the neighbour's argument not being strong enough. The town has a vested interest in seeing the development happen - they own the lot and I can imagine some investment has gone into cleaning up the site. The public hearing is, in my opinion, just a formality.

But agreed, that's a good location for the development.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 10:07 PM

There is a heavy machine sitting on the Pine Glen and pinewood intersection where the apartments were planned

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy321 View Post
There is a heavy machine sitting on the Pine Glen and pinewood intersection where the apartments were planned
And now there's a lot fewer trees on the property. They'll be building yet another one in the Findlay Estates area!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 1:33 PM

It looks like they're doing site prep for the next MoeMar apartment development on Runneymeade Rd. There's been a lot of growth in this area over the last few years, and it looks like there's a lot more to come. I'd say it's just a matter of time before we see some commercial activity to compliment all the residential that's happening.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 1:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, at the least, you're going to see some initial site prep for the new town recreational complex this summer.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:45 PM

Some updates from tonight's council meeting:

a. The rezoning for the 3 x 6-storey apartment building on Pine Glen & Whitepine was approved by council unanimously. The town owns the lot.

b. The townhouse rezoning proposal on hillsborough road failed yet again. This was the same lot with the 2 apartment buildings that council voted against last year.

There's a lot of talk by council that "Riverview is open for business". Found this quite ironic. Understand that the job of council is difficult - they need to balance competing interests from different stakeholders; but how can 3 6-storeys be approved unanimously even with all the concerns about privacy etc, but a townhouse proposal, with arguably less impact on the neighbouring properties, be rejected (5-2)?

c. It appears that the town is close to getting some federal funds under the Housing Accelerator Fund. Council voted for the town to proceed with signing an agreement with CMHC
https://townofriverview-pub.escribem...cumentId=19676

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 12:21 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks for the updates

Despite the protestations of town council, Riverview remains disconcertingly vulnerable to NIMBY influences. This is now well known in the wider community, and, in the long run, might stifle development in the town.

Having said this though, there are currently more major developments planned, approved or in progress in Riverview than I can ever think of previously.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 12:31 AM

Agreed. But the town still lacks housing diversity. It's really a choice between apartment buildings or single family homes. Compared to Moncton and Dieppe, there's almost no middle-ground i.e. row-houses that are priced in the low 300s and attractive to yound families like in Moncton and Dieppe.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Thanks for the updates

Despite the protestations of town council, Riverview remains disconcertingly vulnerable to NIMBY influences. This is now well known in the wider community, and, in the long run, might stifle development in the town.

Having said this though, there are currently more major developments planned, approved or in progress in Riverview than I can ever think of previously.
Riverview seems to report a very low vacancy percentage but I wonder if anyone has analyzed how many actual new units need to be delivered to move the vacancy needle? My point being it may take a lot less new units in Riverview to flood the market vs. a larger population base like Moncton. I believe Shediac may be experiencing this effect now, does anyone know if the new apartment buildings in Shediac are full? I don’t think so, as they seem to be all adverting availability. It could also be compounded by a lot of product which is top of market vs. more affordable variety.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 11:11 AM

I saw yesterday that ICON Developments placed a sign on the fence of the Whitepine ballfields. They have been working there the past couple of weeks on updating the buildings etc as I have seen their trucks on site. I find it rather interesting to see them working on this smaller project and wonder if it has more to do with being seen as a community player since they are the developers proposing the bigger apartment development (the approved rezoned six-floor apartment complex) up the street.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 12:21 PM

Well, Moemar are building like crazy at the end of Runnymead. Site prep for the apartments is coming along nicely. Many single family homes being built and already sold before being done. Also deeper into the new subdivision there are two duplexes going up and probably more to come.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
Well, Moemar are building like crazy at the end of Runnymead. Site prep for the apartments is coming along nicely. Many single family homes being built and already sold before being done. Also deeper into the new subdivision there are two duplexes going up and probably more to come.
MoeMar is an well oiled machine. They have an experienced team and can bring units to market at an impressive rate. Now that they're into apartment rentals, I wonder if they'll consider going more than 4 floors at some point?

And driving by there myself, I see a lot of new units underway, and a lot of sold signs.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces