HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 10:34 PM

Anecdotal. But I have 2 different sets of friends with season tix or ticket packs of some sort. 1 from the north east and 1 from yes in fact West K. They're always at games and are not Jet going type peoples.

But that's just like 2 people out of everyone I know.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Anecdotal. But I have 2 different sets of friends with season tix or ticket packs of some sort. 1 from the north east and 1 from yes in fact West K. They're always at games and are not Jet going type peoples.

But that's just like 2 people out of everyone I know.
Interesting. I'm a season ticket holder but I have to admit a major selling point for me is that the games are played 5 minutes from my house. I might be less into it if I lived on the other side of town. By contrast, Canada Life Centre is fairly convenient for everyone inside the Perimeter.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 1:32 PM

Going to an ice game is like going to a Bomber game without the shuttles. It's kind of a pain.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Going to an ice game is like going to a Bomber game without the shuttles. It's kind of a pain.
Yes, although on the other hand traffic and parking hassles are a total non-issue for ICE games. You get out of the university instantly.

After reading about some of the traffic messes that took place on McGillivray this past winter like last week's 80 car demolition derby, I'm thinking it's for the better that the ICE arena won't be getting built around there. It's a two lane windswept country road with high speeds and no traffic lights that has to carry urban-level traffic volumes. I guess eventually the road will be improved, but we know that could take years, if not decades.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
After reading about some of the traffic messes that took place on McGillivray this past winter like last week's 80 car demolition derby, I'm thinking it's for the better that the ICE arena won't be getting built around there. It's a two lane windswept country road with high speeds and no traffic lights that has to carry urban-level traffic volumes. I guess eventually the road will be improved, but we know that could take years, if not decades.
I know the owner of a business in the area. Apparently there is a near term plan for lights likely by the RINK building, the business park, and the road that they realigned a few years back. Around that same time the speed limit in the area is said to drop from the current 80 to 60. Longer term I think there is a plan to twin the road to at least the Rink facility and likely all the way to the Perimeter.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 6:09 PM

Turning lanes are being added this summer to McCreary RD and PTH 3. I think that should help a lot. I don't know if traffic signals will go in there in the future, but they would help a lot.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Red River Ex has fairly publicly discussed their desire to build an arena like venue of their place for horse shows, livestock auctions, and similar that currently draw sizable crowds in other markets but have no place in Winnipeg. There would see to be some possible synergy with the Ice looking to build a 5,000 seat arena.

The other somewhat interesting side story in the Coyotes in Arizona are going to be moving into a 5,000 seat arena after this season when their lease in Glendale is terminated.
5,000 seats may be more than is needed considering that this would be a secondary building for Winnipeg. I'm sure 3 to 4 thousand would be more than enough. That would also allow a fair bit to be shaved off the construction costs as well without sacrificing much in terms of functionality.

For context, here is what a modern 4,500 seat WHL building looks like...it's fairly substantial.

I'm also glad to hear there are some upgrades on the way for McGillivray. I often drive my kid out to The Rink and this winter it has been super dodgy. I know we all hate traffic lights but at a minimum there should be a set at McCreary, along with turning lanes there. There should probably be turning lanes at South Landing as well.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 7:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Longer term I think there is a plan to twin the road to at least the Rink facility and likely all the way to the Perimeter.
The RFP for Design is scheduled for 2022 and it is for the entire distance of the Perimeter to Brady Rd (City Limits).
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 7:23 PM

^ Great news. That's a pretty ambitious twinning project by Manitoba Infrastructure standards. It would be ideal to follow that up before too long with a second phase of twinning #3 out to around Sanford.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 1:55 PM

I have to take a moment and wave the flag for the ICE, with yesterday's win over Medicine Hat they have clinched first place overall in the WHL. w00t!

I'm looking forward to an exciting playoff run. They are poised to go deep this year, and it will be great to see it after playoffs were cancelled the last two seasons due to the pandemic.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 1:57 PM

That's awesome. They are always ranked at the top of the CHL. Memorial Cup or bust!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:30 PM

That reminds me I need to get tickets for the 14th and 15th against the Pats. It’s not everyday that you get to see a talent like Bedard so I’m very curious to see just how good he is.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
That reminds me I need to get tickets for the 14th and 15th against the Pats. It’s not everyday that you get to see a talent like Bedard so I’m very curious to see just how good he is.
He is really good, no question... lots of spectacular highlight reel goals from him. But he doesn't have much of a supporting cast with the Pats. Regina won't make the playoffs this year, and they only have one season left with him in all likelihood.

Still worth going to check him out IMO. The game on the 14th is almost sold out but there are some tickets left for the 15th. Although with this blizzard coming I wonder if the games are still going to go ahead as planned...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 3:40 PM

Since they'll be travelling by bus from Regina. I could see them being postponed to next week.

I have tix available through my sons physio centre and was hoping to get in to see Bedard.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Since they'll be travelling by bus from Regina. I could see them being postponed to next week.
These games were already postponed from January due to omicron. Not much room left to reschedule with the playoffs starting imminently.

I hope they do play, there has been ample warning of the incoming storm and assuming the Pats bus it in on Tuesday they should be fine. It'll mean some extra hotel nights but that's life in a bus league for you.

I guess it could be tricky for some people to get to the game on Thursday, including possibly ICE players. I can walk to Wayne Fleming Arena if need be, if that game is happening I will be there come hell or high snow, haha

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 3:48 PM

The stuff legends are made of.

Trouncing to a WHL game through a storm for the ages!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
He is really good, no question... lots of spectacular highlight reel goals from him. But he doesn't have much of a supporting cast with the Pats. Regina won't make the playoffs this year, and they only have one season left with him in all likelihood.

Still worth going to check him out IMO. The game on the 14th is almost sold out but there are some tickets left for the 15th. Although with this blizzard coming I wonder if the games are still going to go ahead as planned...
I think the Ice limited Bedard to one assist and no goals in seven games played. Pretty amazing. Go Ice!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 3:32 PM

It's going to be the ICE vs. Prince Albert in round one of the playoffs. Believe it or not the Raiders are still the defending WHL champions from the last time the playoffs happened, 3 years ago in 2019. Here we go!

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 3:09 PM

Well, the ICE did it... they ran right over the PA Raiders to claim the series 4-1 and they're now moving on to round 2 versus an up and coming but still much more formidable Moose Jaw Warriors team. (Incidentally, the Warriors started out in Winnipeg making this kind of the WHL equivalent to a Jets vs. Coyotes game.)

I watched every game in the series and it was pretty one sided except for that blip of a game in PA where the ICE managed to get the puck to the net but simply could not seal the deal with all kinds of whiffs, shots that landed just wide or were caught by Tikhon Chaika who had a really good game in net for the Raiders.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 6:19 PM

I'm away for next few weeks, otherwise I'd go to some of those games as well. Hopefully next round I can make it out.

How Woo looking? not bad for a 15 year old, eh?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan