HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 10:50 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Kansas City does have a nice skyline, though. It might not have tons of height, but the buildings go great together, and you can't beat the old skyscraper stock they have. It's a treasure trove of old tall buildings and neat architecture, but I know what you meant.
I agree.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
We've got a ways to go before we catch up to Charlotte. I've seen their skyline in person (many times, in fact, since all the good shopping near where I live is in Charlotte) and it is substantially more impressive.
Austin actually has more high rises than Charlotte, but they have the height. Also, Charlotte's downtown is more of a working downtown that's pretty lame after business hours. The surrounding neighborhoods like NoDa and Southpark are where people go while downtown sits in the dark.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 5:44 PM

The Bank of America Corporate Center in Charlotte gives a good idea of what Frost would look like if it had been built about 300' taller.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 10:04 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Austin actually has more high rises than Charlotte, but they have the height. Also, Charlotte's downtown is more of a working downtown that's pretty lame after business hours. The surrounding neighborhoods like NoDa and Southpark are where people go while downtown sits in the dark.
Very. Very. True.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 12:17 AM
Meh

Here's a quick rundown of Austin compared to other cities. This is for buildings over 200 feet. I'm using a list from a friend, Marshall Gerometta, who has collected building heights of cities for like the last 40 years. The list is a couple of years old, so some of the other cities now have more buildings than this.

Austin - 55 - (includes site prep/under construction stuff)

New York - 1,190

Chicago - 529

Toronto - 400

Vancouver - 189
Houston - 187

Honolulu - 160

San Francisco - 155

Los Angeles - 146

Miami - 124

Las Vegas - 111

Atlanta - 109
Philadelphia - 103

Calgary - 98
Dallas - 97

Boston - 87
Seattle - 81

Montreal - 78

San Diego - 68

Denver - 59
Minneapolis - 57
Austin - 55
Jersey City - 53
Mississauga, Ont., Canada - 51
Pittsburgh - 50

Detroit - 48
Burnaby, BC, Canada - 47
Ottawa - 44
Miami Beach - 43
Edmonton - 42
Phoenix - 42
Sunny Isles Beach, FL - 42
Aventura, FL - 41
Baltimore - 41
Fort Lauderdale - 40
Portland - 40

Cincinnati - 39
San Antonio - 39
St. Louis - 38
Naples - 37
Milwaukee - 36
Atlantic City - 34
Indianapolis - 33
New Orleans - 33
Cleveland - 32
Kansas City - 32
Tampa - 32
Orlando - 31

Charlotte - 28
Columbus - 27
Winnipeg - 26
Albany - 25
Arlington, VA - 25
Nashville - 25
Oakland - 25
Bellevue, WA - 24
Fort Worth - 23
St. Paul - 23
Newark - 22
Hamilton, Ont., Canada - 21
Hartford, CT - 21
Jacksonville - 21
Louisville - 21
Oklahoma City - 21
Omaha - 20
Rochester - 20
Tulsa - 20

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 1:01 AM

I wonder if there's a way to integrate a measure of verticality with the number of highrises (I agree on the 200' cut point, fwiw) so that we can get a more holistic measure of "skyline" impressiveness.

Actually, I'd include a measure of dispersion of those buildings that are over 200' as well.

One note though: there's no reason to separate Miami and Miami Beach. Those are for all intents and purposes the same skyline. I'd sooner separate Houston and Houston's uptown and Atlanta downtown/midtown from Buckhead than separate Miami and Miami Beach.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 1:10 AM

Quote:
I wonder if there's a way to integrate a measure of verticality with the number of highrises (I agree on the 200' cut point, fwiw) so that we can get a more holistic measure of "skyline" impressiveness.

Actually, I'd include a measure of dispersion of those buildings that are over 200' as well.

One note though: there's no reason to separate Miami and Miami Beach. Those are for all intents and purposes the same skyline. I'd sooner separate Houston and Houston's uptown and Atlanta downtown/midtown from Buckhead than separate Miami and Miami Beach.
Miami Beach is its own city. Every comparison I've seen separates the two.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Miami Beach is its own city. Every comparison I've seen separates the two.
It is its own jurisdiction, yes, but it isn't really it's own skyline. The highrises are all at the very southern end of the island right across the bridge from Miami downtown. It appears from every vantage point - except that where you are on the bridge - to be a single cohesive skyline... especially if you are looking toward Miami from offshore.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 2:27 AM

Quote:
It is its own jurisdiction, yes, but it isn't really it's own skyline. The highrises are all at the very southern end of the island right across the bridge from Miami downtown. It appears from every vantage point - except that where you are on the bridge - to be a single cohesive skyline... especially if you are looking toward Miami from offshore.
I agree, but when do you draw the line? Do you combine Newark/New York or Minneapolis/St. Paul?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 2:31 AM

Quote:
I agree, but when do you draw the line? Do you combine Newark/New York or Minneapolis/St. Paul?
That's a very hard question. I'd argue that Newark and New York are the same substantive skyline, but Minneapolis and St. Paul are visually distinct with a good ten miles of nothing but suburban character between the two.

It's all about where the buildings cluster together.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 4:09 AM

Quote:
That's a very hard question. I'd argue that Newark and New York are the same substantive skyline, but Minneapolis and St. Paul are visually distinct with a good ten miles of nothing but suburban character between the two.

It's all about where the buildings cluster together.
Newark and New York? Jersey City, yeah, but Newark? They're a good ten miles of suburban character and wetland apart.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Newark and New York? Jersey City, yeah, but Newark? They're a good ten miles of suburban character and wetland apart.
Sorry. For some reason I was thinking Jersey City, which I think you kinda picked up on.

Newark definitely not.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 6:36 AM
Meh

Here's the list for everything over 400 feet. I actually think this is a better measurement since there are many more cities with buildings over 200 feet outside of their downtowns than ones with 400 footers outside of their downtowns.

Cities with buildings over 400 feet. I'm not listing all of them either, and only ones in North America.

New York - 439

Chicago - 198

Toronto - 92

Panama City, Panama - 89

Miami - 61

Houston - 54

Las Vegas - 43
San Francisco - 43

Atlanta - 36
Mexico City - 35
Los Angeles - 34
Calgary - 32

Dallas - 29
Philadelphia - 28
Boston - 27
Seattle - 24
Sunny Isles, FL - 24
Montreal - 21

Minneapolis - 19
Denver - 16
Pittsburgh - 15
Austin - 14
Detroit - 14
Charlotte - 13
Jersey City - 13
San Diego - 13
Honolulu - 12
New Orleans - 12
Cleveland - 10
Columbus - 10

Kansas City - 9
Miami Beach - 9
Baltimore - 8
Cincinnati - 7
Tampa - 7
Atlantic City - 6
Fort Worth - 6
Indianapolis - 6
Nashville - 6
Tulsa - 6
Edmonton - 5
Jacksonville - 5
Milwaukee - 5
Monterrey, Mex - 5
Oklahoma City - 5
Orlando - 5
Portland - 5
St. Louis - 5
Bellevue, WA - 4
Hartford, CT - 4
Louisville - 4
Mississauga, Ont, Canada - 4
San Antonio - 4
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic - 4
Fort Lauderdale - 3
St. Paul - 3
Burnaby, BC, Canada - 2
Newark - 2
Omaha - 2
Phoenix - 2
Rochester - 2
Sacramento - 2
Albany - 1
Aventura, FL - 1
Hamilton, Ont, Canada - 1
Oakland - 1
Arlington, VA - 0

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 6:38 AM
Meh

Quote:
Back in the day people would just add up every single building height above whatever cut off point they picked, and then would compare the numbers. It isn't perfect, but it does indicate the intensity of height you can expect for any given city.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 6:54 AM

Here's a source for the best quantitative skyline measure that I know of. 90 meter cutoff, and every meter over 90 is worth 1 point.

Austin is 129th in the world as of the last calculation.

http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 9:35 AM

That list has been around for a while. I remember when Houston was number 4; then the boom in Asia and the Middle East occurred.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 7:12 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
That list has been around for a while. I remember when Houston was number 4; then the boom in Asia and the Middle East occurred.

Sadly, the boom in Asia is largely Rainey St.-sized apartment complexes (we're talking 5,000-10,000 units) that sit mostly empty. Many of them are owned for the sake of "investment" but sit empty. There are so many ghost towns over here it's ridiculous. I'll attest that many new additions to Asian skylines are empty boxes in the sky - the exception of which are those that are built in central business districts (non-residential buildings). For those of you who hit on the importance of the street experience (and I agree 100%), imagine blocks of mostly empty high-rises, albeit some built with ground-level retail, all sitting empty. It's actually kinda creepy. It also has added to the endless sprawl of many cities over here - but think Houston suburbs on a Chinese scale - and all six floors or more. I'll take slow and steady over mindless development any day.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 7:23 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Here's a quick rundown of Austin compared to other cities. This is for buildings over 200 feet. I'm using a list from a friend, Marshall Gerometta, who has collected building heights of cities for like the last 40 years. The list is a couple of years old, so some of the other cities now have more buildings than this.

Austin - 55 - (includes site prep/under construction stuff)

New York - 1,190

Chicago - 529

Toronto - 400

Vancouver - 189
Houston - 187

Honolulu - 160

San Francisco - 155

Los Angeles - 146

Miami - 124

Las Vegas - 111

Atlanta - 109
Philadelphia - 103

Calgary - 98
Dallas - 97

Boston - 87
Seattle - 81

Montreal - 78

San Diego - 68

Denver - 59
Minneapolis - 57
Austin - 55
Jersey City - 53
Mississauga, Ont., Canada - 51
Pittsburgh - 50

Detroit - 48
Burnaby, BC, Canada - 47
Ottawa - 44
Miami Beach - 43
Edmonton - 42
Phoenix - 42
Sunny Isles Beach, FL - 42
Aventura, FL - 41
Baltimore - 41
Fort Lauderdale - 40
Portland - 40

Cincinnati - 39
San Antonio - 39
St. Louis - 38
Naples - 37
Milwaukee - 36
Atlantic City - 34
Indianapolis - 33
New Orleans - 33
Cleveland - 32
Kansas City - 32
Tampa - 32
Orlando - 31

Charlotte - 28
Columbus - 27
Winnipeg - 26
Albany - 25
Arlington, VA - 25
Nashville - 25
Oakland - 25
Bellevue, WA - 24
Fort Worth - 23
St. Paul - 23
Newark - 22
Hamilton, Ont., Canada - 21
Hartford, CT - 21
Jacksonville - 21
Louisville - 21
Oklahoma City - 21
Omaha - 20
Rochester - 20
Tulsa - 20
That's a fascinating list. Thanks for posting it. Not sure any city will catch Austin any time soon in terms of skyline growth, but Nashville is sure trying! Our number will likely close to double within six or seven years.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 9:41 AM

Nashville definitely got a great start.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Sadly, the boom in Asia is largely Rainey St.-sized apartment complexes (we're talking 5,000-10,000 units) that sit mostly empty. Many of them are owned for the sake of "investment" but sit empty. There are so many ghost towns over here it's ridiculous. I'll attest that many new additions to Asian skylines are empty boxes in the sky - the exception of which are those that are built in central business districts (non-residential buildings). For those of you who hit on the importance of the street experience (and I agree 100%), imagine blocks of mostly empty high-rises, albeit some built with ground-level retail, all sitting empty. It's actually kinda creepy. It also has added to the endless sprawl of many cities over here - but think Houston suburbs on a Chinese scale - and all six floors or more. I'll take slow and steady over mindless development any day.
That is really fascinating. I've wondered about that and about development in Dubai, a city of about 2.1 million with real-estate space that seems to almost rival New York city (8.4 million)—are those buildings occupied at all?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations