HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
In an alternate universe, Scott Smith is currently serving his second term as AZ Governor.
Yup, I liked Smith when he was mayor of Mesa so he was my preference but I knew the odds weren't on his side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I did the same.
I smell COLLUSION.

I'm a proud GDI and I voted for McCain for President in 2016. But I otherwise vote blue in appreciation for anyone willing to run against all odds... except for Senator Sinema who beat the odds.

Survey Says... $338.57
as the average airfare for Sky Harbor according to well-known FinanceBuzz.

They're not the cheapest then
but neither are they the most expensive.
So would you call Sky Harbor's fares middling?
Yes, yes I would.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 8:46 PM
Modulator

AZ gets $90 million in federal highway grants towards the I-17 widening/flex lane project.

Quote:
Arizona lands $90 million to expand Interstate 17 north of Phoenix
Arizona landed $90 million in federal grants for a project to widen Interstate 17 north of Phoenix in hopes of easing congestion and cutting down on the number of wrecks, according to Gov. Doug Ducey's office.

It's part of a $320 million project led by the Arizona Department of Transportation and Federal Highway Administration to add lanes along 23 miles of I-17, from Anthem Way to Sunset Point.

The project will also add eight miles of "flex lanes" — lanes that will carry traffic north on Fridays and Saturdays but south on Sundays — between Black Canyon City and the Sunset Point Rest Area.

"This additional funding will expand Interstate 17 in a critical commerce corridor, helping reduce congestion, improve traffic flow and increase public safety," Ducey said in a statement.

How will flex lanes work?
The new flex lanes will sit next to the existing southbound lanes, separated by a concrete barrier. Depending on the day, traffic will either head north or south on them.

ADOT will also add a third southbound lane from Anthem to Black Canyon City, The Arizona Republic reported in 2018.

Officials at the time said the flex lanes were needed because of an especially problematic 45-mile stretch of highway between Anthem and Cordes Junction.

As many as 40,000 cars travel that corridor daily, and as many as 55,000 to 65,000 travel it on weekends, The Republic reported.

"There are no reasonable alternative routes when traffic on I-17 is impacted. That's why this is both a state and national priority," ADOT Director John Halikowski said in a statement.

Construction won't start for another 2 years
While officials laud the I-17 expansion, don't expect to hop on a flex lane anytime soon.

Construction is scheduled to start in 2021 and won't be completed until 2023, according to Ducey's office.

Reach reporter Joshua Bowling at jbowling@azcentral.com or 602-444-8138. Follow him on Twitter @MrJoshuaBowling.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ix/1801410001/

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 2:26 AM
E pluribus unum

I'm not sure there's any easy fix for the idiot drivers who can't handle the switchbacks on I-17 north of Black Canyon City? One of the few perks of living in Flagstaff is always travelling in the opposite direction of that traffic on weekends but it never ceases to amaze me how bad it can get between Black Canyon City and Cordes Junction.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 8:07 PM

Arizona Supreme Court decides light rail initiative will remain on ballot

https://ktar.com/story/2666389/arizo...ain-on-ballot/

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 8:22 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwwolfe View Post
Arizona Supreme Court decides light rail initiative will remain on ballot

https://ktar.com/story/2666389/arizo...ain-on-ballot/
Was just reading that. On a positive note, I have seen nearly 2 times as many No to 105 signs than Yes 105 signs while driving around town...not that this indicates which way voters will go. On a negative note, there seems to be no 105 opposition signs at all along Northern phoenix around Bell and Union Roads East of 7th Street. These areas would probably be in favor of 105 anyway, but I would still like to see some oppositions signs place in these areas to sway the undecided voters. We need all the votes we can get!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Was just reading that. On a positive note, I have seen nearly 2 times as many No to 105 signs than Yes 105 signs while driving around town...not that this indicates which way voters will go. On a negative note, there seems to be no 105 opposition signs at all along Northern phoenix around Bell and Union Roads East of 7th Street. These areas would probably be in favor of 105 anyway, but I would still like to see some oppositions signs place in these areas to sway the undecided voters. We need all the votes we can get!
I’ve seen plenty of No 105 Signs along Camelback all the way into Arcadia, practically to the border of Scottsdale. Of course, Ahwatukee has been hard at work on the Yes 105 signage and it’s present on nearly every corner. The Yes 105 monicker: ‘Fix our Roads’ is a bit misleading as it’s obvious the main objective is to kill light rail, but fixing the roads sounds nicer than ‘stop the Trolley Folley.”

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 7:15 AM

If it works in San Francisco and NYC could it work in Phoenix?

https://thebolditalic.com/the-uber-a...e-b32cefcac513
Quote:
Outside a 24 Hour Fitness in San Mateo, side-saddling a commercial office space and a tiered parking structure, a swath of strategically tinted cars sit parked, veiled by thin layers of condensation coating their windshields. It’s obvious that people have spent the night inside them, presumably cocooned somewhere either in the back seat or the spacious hatch.

Most display a shared vocational decal: Lyft or Uber.
What does the city think about this?
Quote:
While most don’t associate hailing a rideshare with the notion of stepping foot inside someone’s home, that’s exactly what some passengers are doing.

In response, city officials have recently announced plans to open the first “safe” parking lot near the Balboa Park BART station, where people can sleep in their cars without fear of repercussions and get access to showers, bathrooms, and social services.
Well written, very interesting article.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 4:25 PM

Happily sent my "No" vote back in the mail yesterday. Met a neighbor at the mailbox who urged me to vote "No," even as he sent his "No" vote in the mail. Shook his hand as we doubled our vote to send this monstrosity back. Satisfying.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
Happily sent my "No" vote back in the mail yesterday. Met a neighbor at the mailbox who urged me to vote "No," even as he sent his "No" vote in the mail. Shook his hand as we doubled our vote to send this monstrosity back. Satisfying.
Me too! You filthy communists got me on board for your Light Rail scam

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Me too! You filthy communists got me on board for your Light Rail scam
HA! Well, it seems like certain things can get folks on the same side, if only for a few minutes.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 11:15 PM

I can't remember if I posted anything about it, but I noticed they've built one of the streetcar stations near Mill and 3rd. It's basically just the platform right now, but I figured I'd mention it since I haven't seen others around town yet. They also have part of the track curving East on Rio now, so maybe we'll see development on that street pretty soon.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 11:35 PM
Modulator

Northwest Extension Phase II Meeting

Public meeting set for the Northwest Extension Phase II. Meeting will be held August 8th from 6 to 7:30, suite 1108 inside the Metrocenter Mall. They must be fairly confident that 105 will fail to set the meeting with just 2 weeks left before the vote.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Public meeting set for the Northwest Extension Phase II. Meeting will be held August 8th from 6 to 7:30, suite 1108 inside the Metrocenter Mall. They must be fairly confident that 105 will fail to set the meeting with just 2 weeks left before the vote.

Hopefully! Droped off my wife's and mine ballot today to vote NO.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:

I ahave to say unless you live along the south central line I think most people are fairly unaware that this is even on the ballot.

I took a drive down central yesterday and its the first time I have seen organized picketing all the way along the future route. I dont know how they convinced these hardly holding on businesses that light rail is bad for them, but holy cow every single business had Vote YES on 105, claiming to repair our roads.

Phoenix area roads aren't in bad condition at all, who the hell is that argument even appealing too?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Hopefully! Droped off my wife's and mine ballot today to vote NO.
Me, too! We just got ballot in the mail today and we vote NO. We put it back in the mailbox. So now, consider it done!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 2:29 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I ahave to say unless you live along the south central line I think most people are fairly unaware that this is even on the ballot.

I took a drive down central yesterday and its the first time I have seen organized picketing all the way along the future route. I dont know how they convinced these hardly holding on businesses that light rail is bad for them, but holy cow every single business had Vote YES on 105, claiming to repair our roads.

Phoenix area roads aren't in bad condition at all, who the hell is that argument even appealing too?
Eh. There are signs on practically every corner of Phoenix now about props 105 and 106. Plus, AZ Central and ABC 15 have posted quite a few articles on both props in the last couple of weeks. If people don't know what these are by now, they probably shouldn't be voting anyway.

As for South Central, the ones primarily picketing are the business owners adjacent to Central. The residents further off Central more than likely support LRT. The problem is they need to stand up and get out to Central opposite the 105 supporters.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Eh. There are signs on practically every corner of Phoenix now about props 105 and 106. Plus, AZ Central and ABC 15 have posted quite a few articles on both props in the last couple of weeks. If people don't know what these are by now, they probably shouldn't be voting anyway.

As for South Central, the ones primarily picketing are the business owners adjacent to Central. The residents further off Central more than likely support LRT. The problem is they need to stand up and get out to Central opposite the 105 supporters.
I would still bet the majority of people have no idea what the props are, let alone there is even a special election.

the anti light-rail people are going to be highly motivated, your average person who doesnt really read much news or follow these kinds of things isnt even going to know whats happening and I have a feeling that is exactly what the people behind 105 are hoping for.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 5:24 PM
self-important urbanista

The real confounding aspect of this election is that "yes" or "no" mean the opposite of what some people will expect. Voters who don't read the entire ballot language but simply hear that this is a vote on light rail may assume that "yes" means more trains and "no" means the opposite.

Jessica Boehm of the Republic tweeted about that aspect this morning with a link to an article:

https://twitter.com/jboehm_NEWS/stat...704628224?s=20

Confusion will work in both directions. I'm cautiously hoping, though, that it will help with the "no" vote more than the "yes" vote for two reasons:

1) I think those who support light rail may be more civically engaged and more attuned to the nuances of city elections.

2) When voters are confused about a ballot proposition, they are more likely to vote "no" based on the idea that it's better to stick with the status quo than change things in ways they don't understand.

Will these factors be enough? I have no idea. I think it's going to be close no matter what the outcome.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 5:29 PM

The thought of ending light rail expansion in Phoenix is terrifying for many reasons economically and socially. I've not been paying attention to the narratives surrounding this proposition but I'm curious if anyone has provided a good read on which way the vote might go.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 5:58 PM
self-important urbanista

I haven't seen any polling. I know that the Building a Better Phoenix commissioned a poll by Data Orbital that they used to win the court case challenging the petition wording. Their attorney used the polling to show no significant difference in how people were inclined to vote with two different descriptions of the measure. What was never disclosed is how many people said they were inclined to vote "yes" or "no."

On a related note, there's an article from Steven Hsieh of the New Times today detailing new evidence of the dark, Koch-connected money behind the initiative.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...oenix-11336419

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest