HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 12:29 AM

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-pho...ble-bus-strike

Valley bus drivers strike down agreement, city officials warn of possible bus strike

Quote:
PHOENIX - Valley bus operators voted down an agreement late Friday night, meaning passengers may need to prepare for a potential strike that could affect several city routes.
Quote:
Routes operated by Transdev:

0-Central Ave.
1-Washington/Jefferson
7-7th Street
8-7th Ave.
10-Roosevelt/32nd Street
12-12th Street
15-15th Ave.
16-16th Street
19-19th Ave.
27-27th Ave.
28-Lower Buckeye
35-35th Ave.
39-40th Street North Phoenix
44-44th St/Tatum
50-Camelback
52-Roeser
60-Bethany Home
70-Glendale/24th Street
80-Northern/Shea
90-Dunlap/Cave Creek
106-Peoria
122-Cactus
138-Thunderbird
154-Greenway
170-Bell
186-Union Hills/Mayo
SMART (Sunnyslope) and DASH (downtown) circulators
RAPID buses: Central South Mountain East Central South Mountain West, I-10 East, I-10 West, I-17 and SR-51

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 5:43 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ Not anymore!

That corridor was removed from *all* considerations in the latest update.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...oute/71883962/
Lets focus on getting PHX-TUC going along the Yellow route. Then a future expansion of commuter rail down the Kyrene Corridor to south Chandler can be a future leg of the Valley wide commuter rail network.

That rail leg gets damned close to Wild Horse Pass/the Outlets down there. It'd be nice if it could be extended just a touch to jump the I-10 and end w/ a park and ride at Wild Horse Pass. That might present a nice P&R opportunity for Ahwatukee residents.

Also, I'm shocked that the tribe hasn't tried to build a spring training complex at Wild Horse Pass a la what's been done at Talking Stick. That seems like a natural fit. Maybe they'll do that when the Brewers get sick of Maryvale....but now I'm getting way off of the transportation topic.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 4:47 PM

Possible New Light Rail Station?

Phoenix leaders are turning to residents to design the city's next light rail stop, located outside one of the Valley's largest resource centers for people with disabilities.

The city is calling for concept submissions by Nov. 16 for the new station near Ability360, formerly Arizona Bridge to Independent Living. Anyone can participate by drafting plans for a safe, accessible stop near 50th and Washington Streets and including a written explanation.

The design challenge is part of "PHX Innovation Games," a civic issues initiative launched by Mayor Greg Stanton earlier this year. A panel of judges will select the winner, whose concept will influence the eventual design.

Ability360 houses programs aimed to maximize independence for people with disabilities. The resource facility is now about a mile from each of the closest light rail stations, along the largest stretch of the system without a stop.

Transit leaders promised a more convenient station as one of the earliest projects under Transportation 2050, the 35-year plan approved by voters in August. It will also be the Valley's first new stop along existing light rail tracks.

That might mean wider sidewalks or longer crossing times to improve accessibility for anyone who might use the station, she said.

But participants have no limits on budget or practicality, Pasteur said, because the challenge aims to spark ideas not yet seen in Phoenix.

The winning design will influence the formal proposal process for the station that includes more specific requirements, as well as additional public feedback. The city will announce a winner on Dec. 9

Article Link

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 5:20 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxER View Post
Phoenix leaders are turning to residents to design the city's next light rail stop, located outside one of the Valley's largest resource centers for people with disabilities.

The city is calling for concept submissions by Nov. 16 for the new station near Ability360, formerly Arizona Bridge to Independent Living. Anyone can participate by drafting plans for a safe, accessible stop near 50th and Washington Streets and including a written explanation.

The design challenge is part of "PHX Innovation Games," a civic issues initiative launched by Mayor Greg Stanton earlier this year. A panel of judges will select the winner, whose concept will influence the eventual design.

Ability360 houses programs aimed to maximize independence for people with disabilities. The resource facility is now about a mile from each of the closest light rail stations, along the largest stretch of the system without a stop.

Transit leaders promised a more convenient station as one of the earliest projects under Transportation 2050, the 35-year plan approved by voters in August. It will also be the Valley's first new stop along existing light rail tracks.

That might mean wider sidewalks or longer crossing times to improve accessibility for anyone who might use the station, she said.

But participants have no limits on budget or practicality, Pasteur said, because the challenge aims to spark ideas not yet seen in Phoenix.

The winning design will influence the formal proposal process for the station that includes more specific requirements, as well as additional public feedback. The city will announce a winner on Dec. 9

Article Link

Good idea. I've always wondered why a stop wasn't placed here. It's a pretty good distance between the 44th and Priest stations. Along with Ability360, there are a lot of employment centers that could benefit from this stop including the post office hub, Desert Schools, SRP and even Tovrea Castle could benefit with a stop for additional visitors.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 6:54 PM

Do you this means where they will be at 48th St stations & 16th St stations?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 7:40 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Do you this means where they will be at 48th St stations & 16th St stations?
Studies were done to evaluate possible infill stations at both locations. Only 48th Street is moving forward at this time, though.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 8:06 PM

Tempe Street Car clears Federal Hurdle

It's been a week now but I didn't see this posted.

http://www.valleymetro.org/projects_...empe_streetcar

"On October 28, 2015, the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) issued a Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) for the Tempe Streetcar Project. The FONSI comes following the project’s Environmental Assessment (EA), which evaluates the potential impacts to the neighboring environment, including noise and vibration, traffic and parking, and historical and archaeological resources. The FONSI marks the final step in the project’s environmental review process under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)."

I believe this clears the way for those sweet, sweet federal dollars.

Site says it's design now until Spring 2016 until construction begins.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post

I believe this clears the way for those sweet, sweet federal dollars.

Site says it's design now until Spring 2016 until construction begins.
Finally!! It's long overdue!!! Let get thing going. I wait for a long time. Hopefully they will starts construction sometime in Spring 2016 and it will be completion in late-2018.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 4:33 AM

Has Phoenix released any official or updated plans for what they're going to do with Prop 104's transit funds? I haven't seen any updates to the Valley Metro website regarding Prop 104. How concrete are the plans in the below map from MovePHX?

Last edited by nickw252; Nov 9, 2015 at 4:44 AM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 5:46 AM

Don't you have light rail map for the future? I don't see Light rail goes to Desert Ridge Marketplace, Baseline Rd, I-10 south near US 60, University of Phoenix Stadium, 44th St, Bell Rd, Scottsdale Rd/Rural Rd. I don't see a new map yet.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 12:20 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Has Phoenix released any official or updated plans for what they're going to do with Prop 104's transit funds? I haven't seen any updates to the Valley Metro website regarding Prop 104. How concrete are the plans in the below map from MovePHX?
The Citizens Oversight Committee has just been appointed, and that body will help determine how Prop 104 funds are used. I suspect any revised maps will come after that committee makes decisions, which will in turn be ratified by the city council.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Don't you have light rail map for the future? I don't see Light rail goes to Desert Ridge Marketplace, Baseline Rd, I-10 south near US 60, University of Phoenix Stadium, 44th St, Bell Rd, Scottsdale Rd/Rural Rd. I don't see a new map yet.
Many of these destinations are outside Phoenix city limits and therefore not within the scope of Prop 104. Even inside the boundaries Phoenix, Desert Ridge was not a destination in any maps circulated in support of 104. The current proposal is to terminate at Paradise Valley Mall.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 1:59 AM
self-important urbanista

Interesting and unfortunately pessimistic analysis of Sky Harbor's prospects as an American Airlines hub now that US Airways and American Airlines have completed their merger: http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2015/10/...chopping-block

Last edited by exit2lef; Nov 13, 2015 at 12:21 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 4:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Interesting and unfortunately pessimistic analysis of Sky Harbor's prospects as an American Airlines hub now that US Airways and American Airlines have completed their merger: http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2015/10/...chopping-block
Oh, shit. I realize it's one person's opinion but it seems plausible. I hope Phoenix officials, the ACA and Ducey are paying attention. This could be a disaster.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Oh, shit. I realize it's one person's opinion but it seems plausible. I hope Phoenix officials, the ACA and Ducey are paying attention. This could be a disaster.
The writer is like 12 years old. This was debated nationally on another forum, most believed it was BS and feel there could be a bit of a reduction, but not too much.

For one, LA is more of an O&D hub and does not have the capacity to handle connections. The other major factor is that PHX is not Cleveland or Memphis. Phoenix is HUGE, and most importantly, GROWING.

Although we lack the corporate travel of other large cities, we make up for it in lower-yielding leisure travel.

In short, AA is not going to de-hub Phoenix. If you want evidence, note that they just added a flight to Memphis this week.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 5:47 PM

Quote:
That sounds like bad news. This better not happen- no way I'm going back to having layovers when I fly back to the Midwest.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 6:28 PM
BANNED

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
The writer is like 12 years old. This was debated nationally on another forum, most believed it was BS and feel there could be a bit of a reduction, but not too much.

For one, LA is more of an O&D hub and does not have the capacity to handle connections. The other major factor is that PHX is not Cleveland or Memphis. Phoenix is HUGE, and most importantly, GROWING.

Although we lack the corporate travel of other large cities, we make up for it in lower-yielding leisure travel.

In short, AA is not going to de-hub Phoenix. If you want evidence, note that they just added a flight to Memphis this week.
Good points. Thanks for coaxing me off the ledge.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Good points. Thanks for coaxing me off the ledge.
In case you need more coaxing... this was all announced this week. FOUR new destinations!! Small regional aircraft, but good to see AA growing PHX.

· PHX and Lubbock, Texas (LBB), operated once daily by Mesa with CRJ-900 aircraft

· PHX and Memphis, Tennessee (MEM), operated once daily by Mesa with CRJ-900 aircraft

· PHX and Midland/Odessa, Texas (MAF), operated once daily by Mesa with CRJ-900 aircraft

· PHX and Roswell, New Mexico (ROW), operated once daily by SkyWest with CRJ-200 aircraft

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 2:00 AM

Quote:
In case you need more coaxing... this was all announced this week. FOUR new destinations!! Small regional aircraft, but good to see AA growing PHX.

· PHX and Lubbock, Texas (LBB), operated once daily by Mesa with CRJ-900 aircraft

· PHX and Memphis, Tennessee (MEM), operated once daily by Mesa with CRJ-900 aircraft

· PHX and Midland/Odessa, Texas (MAF), operated once daily by Mesa with CRJ-900 aircraft

· PHX and Roswell, New Mexico (ROW), operated once daily by SkyWest with CRJ-200 aircraft
Yes, finally!! Long overdue!! What's next? Can they bring more routes to JAX, MSY, BHM, BIL, IDA, FAR, FSD, ICT, HOU, MSN, GRB, and etc.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 2:13 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:

I'm neutral on the question of whether AA will abandon its Phoenix hub, but I'll point out that the article and the various comments all foresaw any "de-hubbing" starting in 2017 at the earliest due to the settlement reached over litigation related to the merger. As long as AA has to maintain a hub here for a few more years, it might make sense to add some routes, particularly these four, which don't compete with Southwest for nonstop service. What will be more interesting to see is what happens in 2018 and beyond.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 2:24 AM

Quote:
I'm neutral on the question of whether AA will abandon its Phoenix hub, but I'll point out that the article and the various comments all foresaw any "de-hubbing" starting in 2017 at the earliest due to the settlement reached over litigation related to the merger. As long as AA has to maintain a hub here for a few more years, it might make sense to add some routes, particularly these four, which don't compete with Southwest for nonstop service. What will be more interesting to see is what happens in 2018 and beyond.
That's somewhat fair, but understand these routes are interesting for one particular reason. I believe all three, with the exception on Memphis are geographically west of Dallas.

Folks from these cities travelling west have had to travel east to Dallas, then back west to reach destinations on the west coast. This now allows them to connect in PHX and reach destinations in California, Utah, Nevada and Washington.

Memphis was probably more of an O&D move. Both are good. It shows the value that PHX can plan in the AA system (for example, LAX doesn't have enough gates, and you couldn't connect from LAX to say Burbank, Orange County, Ontario or Long Beach. I believe even Monterrey is only connected to PHX. This can also get these folks to Mexico and Hawaii.

Memphis shows that with the growing population on Phoenix, AA may be willing to look at more destination on the east coast and mid west. Connections could very logically be made in ORD or DFW, but this proves there is O&D perceived demand to warrant the direct flight.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest