HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 5:26 PM

I always look forward to seeing Harley's photos. Thanks Harley.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 6:47 PM

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Is there a render of what this building will look like? I find it hard to decipher the current builds when looking at the finished renders of Zibi.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerottawa View Post
Is there a render of what this building will look like? I find it hard to decipher the current builds when looking at the finished renders of Zibi.
Renders on these two pages:

https://leasing.dream.ca/building/zi...1000000&type=A

https://leasing.dream.ca/building/bu...1000000&type=A

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 8:25 PM

Thanks! I think Zibi will easily be Ottawa's nicest area architecturally

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 9:02 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerottawa View Post
Thanks! I think Zibi will easily be Ottawa's nicest area architecturally
Not just the buildings but the lay of the land around them as well. I have high hopes for the aquaduct area. We just need a cohesive way to connect the two neighborhoods that isn't Booth st. I'm having a hard time seeing that with all the obstructions.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
Not just the buildings but the lay of the land around them as well. I have high hopes for the aquaduct area. We just need a cohesive way to connect the two neighborhoods that isn't Booth st. I'm having a hard time seeing that with all the obstructions.
With the War Museum, the grass field that is Bluesfest Park and the monument district across the street, we'll never have a natural urban connection between LeBreton and Zibi.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
With the War Museum, the grass field that is Bluesfest Park and the monument district across the street, we'll never have a natural urban connection between LeBreton and Zibi.
There will be another connection for cyclists and pedestrians, however.

I don't see it yet on devapps, but the NCC has applied "to remove the Preston Street Extension [between Albert and Wellington] from the Official Plan as a planned arterial road and to replace it with a planned active transportation network linkage" that would include a pedestrian and cycling bridge over the LRT.

The new pedestrian and cycling route would run north from the intersection of Preston and Albert and terminate at the intersection of Wellington and Vimy Place. From there it's a quick connection to the Ottawa River bike path and the cycling/pedestrian bridge to Chaudiere Island.

Last edited by skisail_ott; Aug 21, 2022 at 12:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 6:43 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skisail_ott View Post

I don't see it yet on devapps, but the NCC has applied "to remove the Preston Street Extension [between Albert and Wellington] from the Official Plan as a planned arterial road and to replace it with a planned active transportation network linkage that would include a pedestrian and cycling bridge over the LRT.

The new pedestrian and cycling route would run north from the intersection of Preston and Albert and terminate at the intersection of Wellington and Vimy Place. From there it's a quick connection to the Ottawa River bike path and the cycling/pedestrian bridge to Chaudiere Island.
That seems like a logical connection. It's unfortunate that when Booth st was rebuilt there were no trees included. I know it's a bridge approach but surely there could have been a way to add some of the smaller stuff you see on downtown streets.

I can't wait for the aquaduct to take shape and do this lap.

Did I also hear somewhere that Pooley's bridge will connect to Queen st. with a staircase and elevator?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 12:37 AM

I'm excited to see this area of the skyline fill in!

Last edited by rocketphish; Aug 22, 2022 at 2:40 AM. Reason: Resized the humongous image

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 8:48 AM

Curious to see if Zibi will ever try to throw in a larger tower there than what is already planned considering their plan is very long term.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
Curious to see if Zibi will ever try to throw in a larger tower there than what is already planned considering their plan is very long term.
Just about every block proposal thus far has been taller than the concept plan!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 3:13 AM

Quote:

I don't see it yet on devapps, but the NCC has applied "to remove the Preston Street Extension [between Albert and Wellington] from the Official Plan as a planned arterial road and to replace it with a planned active transportation network linkage" that would include a pedestrian and cycling bridge over the LRT.

Tangent: while I don't really mind the scooter program in this city, I find it interesting that they seem to be tacitly acknowledged as "active transportation" when they're not in the least. They're zero emission, but I've yet to see anyone actually "scoot" on them (y'know, that human power thing), as the whole point of these is to let the motor move the riders along. So perhaps the wording should be changed to "active / zero emission transportation". (I know, semantics...)

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 3:25 AM

Quote:

Yeah it's in LF master plan.

About time they finally start implementing it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 2:48 AM

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 4:16 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

That waterfront park is going to be a great addition. I hope that our semi routine flooding keeps its hands off of it but I will assume they assessed the historical high waterlines.

The Ottawa river as a whole is such a great place. I FINALLY made my way to the Remics Rapids Inukshuks today for the first time. I actually got to speak to John for some time. What a great fellow and great place to spend some time.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
That waterfront park is going to be a great addition. I hope that our semi routine flooding keeps its hands off of it but I will assume they assessed the historical high waterlines.

The Ottawa river as a whole is such a great place. I FINALLY made my way to the Remics Rapids Inukshuks today for the first time. I actually got to speak to John for some time. What a great fellow and great place to spend some time.
That waterfront park would be a great spot for..... a little HIGHWAY!!!!!
Jaques Grebering Intensifies

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 8:54 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
That waterfront park would be a great spot for..... a little HIGHWAY!!!!!
Jaques Grebering Intensifies
Greber should be auto muted not only from this forum but life in general. Fuck that guy.

That being said...

It's pretty cool how all of our water ways are protected and to a certain extent naturalized. Rideau river, Canal, Ottawa river etc. ./.. It;s pretty gangster how all this is protected and nothing is developed. If it was, it would all be shit anyways... so might as well leave it be.

I went for a massive walk at Mud Lake and the spot with John curating today ... I couldn't imagine it any other way.

So it perplexes me that in more urban areas stupid old white people push back on the slightest amount of development as if there aren't acres within arms reach of beautiful untouched land that other cities would kill for. I love the ever loving poop out of this city and all that it has to offer. But the backwards ass opposition to very basic low tier shit level overall projects boggles my mind.

*edit..... im 17 sheets to the wind. Enjoy the last holiday of the summer folks.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 5:22 PM

These have been posted before, but here they are again; renderings of new park currently being built on the Gatineau side.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 7:54 PM

One of the challenges for Ottawa's waterfront development is our climate. Not so much the cold, but the snow melt in the spring, which means development has to be kept back from the river banks. This is also why we ended up with parkways along the rivers. If a road floods, it is not the end of the world but if houses and businesses flood regularly, we know what happens as we saw a few years ago. Because of the flood risks in the past, our waterfronts historically tended to be slums, the undesirable locations. Much of the Rideau River shoreline flooded almost every year below Hogs Back right to Rideau Falls. Billings Bridge, Old Ottawa South, Overbrook, Vanier and New Edinburgh all regularly flooded with flooding extending multiple blocks from the river. In Overbrook, flooding could extend beyond today's Vanier Parkway. An infamous neighbourhood named Nordic Circle near Billings Bridge was regularly and terribly flooded in its short 10 year history before it was expropriated and converted into a park.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa