HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 2:26 AM

Some fun articles I found related to all this stuff.

Sep 3, 2008 death of Quebec/Laval CFL idea

http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/servle...l_gam_mostview

"...According to prominent Quebec City lawyer Marc Bellemare, local investors have already set aside half of the $40-million needed to expand the stadium with the other half expected to come from other potential investors. The proposal would have allowed the construction of an additional 15,000 seats to the stadium's current capacity of approximately 10,000 seats.

However the head of Laval University Denis Brière refused to modify the project to allow for the stadium's expansion to attract a CFL franchise to the city.

“We have a plan B that would include building a stadium just outside Quebec City. But that's a more costly proposal, one that would cost between $75-million and $125-million,” Mr. Bellemare said."

(Now does this mean Denis Brière ---and Laval --- are out on hosting the CFL? Or was there just a personal conflict or difference of vision between the two men?)

Designer Christina Saint Marche announces she can get the CFL working in Quebec and wants to own the team.

"..Saint Marche has been linked to numerous CFL franchises in the past. In 2001, she was willing to buy the Calgary Stampeders for $10 million.

That same year, Saint Marche approached Sherwood Schwarz, the Argos' owner at the time, about purchasing the team at the end of the season. But he was seeking $10 million - nearly twice what she offered. She also expressed an interest in the Ottawa Renegades in 2006, but only to transfer the team to Quebec.

Saint Marche said she was approached by someone within the upper echelon of the CFL just recently about the Argos, and was told the purchase price was $10 million.

Born in Montana, she and her husband own a summer home in southern Ontario. Her business operates out of (London) England and is scheduled to expand this January to Paris. That, in part, has peaked her interest in Quebec (City)."

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/D...581/story.html

http://www.canada.com/Sports/Busines...256/story.html

Interesting lines in the stories

"Through a spokesman, CFL commissioner Mark Cohon said he hasn’t been approached by Saint Marche, adding any discussion of an expansion franchise is premature and will remain so until the provincial capital has a suitable stadium with a seating capacity of 25,000. The league spokesman added no group has come forward that’s dedicated, and shown to have the resources."

and

"Prominent Quebec lawyer Marc Bellemare, part of that investment group, has been working closely with Larry Smith, the Als’ president and a former CFL commissioner. Smith has frequently said he would embrace Quebec as a potential location and natural rival.

“Marc’s working diligently, putting interest together, and will continue to do so. But they need a stadium before anything can happen,” Smith said. “He’s credible and his intentions are good. But the dynamics must fundamentally shift.

“Similarly, it’s great that Christina has expressed interest. But unless the scenario changes, it’s not realistic.” "

(IMO It appears that the Commish and the CFL BOG is likely not jazzed with Saint Marche and her lose lips. It seems likely that Smith is an advocate if not a friend of Bellemare, but the league's BOG is not as sold on him.)

jilted lover...

http://www.montrealgazette.com/franc...384/story.html

"...Bellemare said he would be willing to pool his resources with Christina Saint Marche, the London, England-based fashion designer who told The Gazette this week she’s interested in securing an expansion franchise for Quebec.

“I know who he is, obviously,” Saint Marche said. “And I seriously have a plan.”

Saint Marche continues to believe she can expand the seating at PEPS Stadium, home of the Université Laval Rouge et Or, from 10,200 permanent seats to between 26,000 and 28,000 – although Bellemare has hit one snag after another exploring that option, which no longer appears possible.

“Most of all,” she said, “I don’t need any government to give me money as I have my own, so this would be a donation (to the university). My opinion is it can be done.” "

(This hits me as a pissing contest between the two potential owners. As I read it Bellemare has lost the ear of Laval university’s rector, and Saint Marche may have it.)

"...The money remains a moot point unless Bellemare’s group secures the use of a stadium – and the university appears unwilling to budge. The expansion of the sports complex, at a cost of $85 million, will begin shortly. But that plan doesn’t include increasing the capacity of the football stadium, which can facilitate 18,500 with the installation of temporary bleachers. The CFL, however, now requires venues to have at least 25,000 seats.

It’s a bad project and shows a lack of vision,” Bellemare said. “I’m the only one in Quebec saying that.”

Bellemare has appealed unsuccessfully to Denis Brière, the university’s rector, to amend the plan, and has complained about Brière’s short-sightedness and lack of vision. Bellemare said the rector has cancelled numerous meetings with his investors.

“I want to make this a success story for Université Laval, as the Alouettes did for McGill (through Molson Stadium),” Bellemare explained. “This would give us national exposure. I want everyone in Canada to know we have a French university here … but I’m not succeeding. He has the Rouge et Or and, I suppose for him, that’s enough.

“It hasn’t been easy to work with Brière. As I understand things, he’s not interested. But this is sending a very bad message to the CFL and Canada.”"

(I read this and I about fell on the floor laughing. Run anyone down in the media much there, Mr. Bellemare? No wonder the CFL is staying out of this. I had to comment on the paper's feedback area as this was such an unfair bashing.)

"...But there might be an alternative. Bellemare is working with Marcel Corriveau, the mayor of Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures, near Saint-Foy. There’s an empty 6-million-square-foot piece of land that could be used for a stadium – provided no city money is involved.

Bellemare believes, if the land is donated, he could build a stadium for $40 million, considering Impact president Joey Saputo constructed a 13,000-seat soccer facility for $14.1 million on the Olympic Stadium grounds."

(I think this may be what was referred to previously. I am trying to withold judgement, but this sounds like a craptastic idea that the CFL won't likely allow anyway. If I have the site right, Google maps places Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures 14 km West of town --- more of a tiny nearby town than a true suburb. Now certainly that is not all that far from town, but it is another hurdle for a STARTUP team to overcome.

Now if the site is very close to Sainte Foy it is more viable IMO. That is a lot closer to PEPS. There is a bridge that connects the western communities to the east communities that crosses at Sainte Foy. It is a pretty sweet location.

I still don't think Plan B is truly viable though. What do you suppose happens to future stadium efforts if a workable CFL stadium is built for $40M total? With no government money spent? That is why the CFL BOG won't approve the Bellemare group's team at the Plan B site. Bellemare's group will likely need the CFL's approval to get the $40M. I don't anticipate the CFL giving it for that reason.

Likewise Saint Marche's plan to fund the PEPS expansion with her money and "give it" to the university is likely not a winner for the CFL BOG either. Not convinced the CFL gives their approval on either plan.)

Last edited by Finiteman; Jun 20, 2009 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 2:28 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

It will be Ottawa and Quebec City first, and then a Maritime team after that. I predict nothing will happen here in the Maritimes prior to 2018-2020, which gives Halifax lots of time to get it's act together; but this also gives Moncton time to prove it's worth to the CFL board of governors. It remains a tight race.

Don't forget Erick, there is a good football tradition in southeast New Brunswick as well. The Moncton Minor Football Association has just celebrated it's 50th anniversary. All six metro high schools have successful football programs and Mount Allison University has a strong CIS football tradition.

With the new stadium, I can see U de M starting a football program as well.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finiteman View Post
Some fun articles I found related to all this stuff.

Like I said, if Quebec gets a stadium, they will get a team, as simple as that.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Don't forget Erick, there is a good football tradition in southeast New Brunswick as well. The Moncton Minor Football Association has just celebrated it's 50th anniversary. All six metro high schools have successful football programs and Mount Allison University has a strong CIS football tradition.

I concur, U D M getting a program would be the first step, and then we would be able to see if the city has some interest in football.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 2:54 AM

Meh for all I care I say we give Moncton the team.

It'lll give Halifax more time to get a real hockey team instead (no offense Mooseheads). Dare I dream NHL someday ...

Now where's Crosby and the Stanley Cup at ...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Moncton is more centrally located and can draw from a larger potential market than Halifax. This is especially important for football vs. say a professional hockey team. With only 9-10 home games a season, and always on the weekend, it is relatively easier to get fans to commute from a distance.

I think that if the CFL remains open minded on the issue and does not have a hidden political agenda, that Moncton might possibly be successful in the long run.

The real test of course will be if we can get sellout crowds of 20,000 to the proposed 10 CFL games that are going to be staged in Moncton beginning in 2010 or 2011. If we can fill the stands with enthusiastic fans, that will get the CFL's attention!
Could Moncton change the CFL's mind? Maybe. But IMO not until Halifax has their team. Halifax is the "safe play" in the martimes. The CFL BOG are not going to risk smoking Halifax as a potential site by giving Moncton a team first. If Halifax has a team, I could see the CFL playing a couple game in Moncton the same weekend that Halifax hosts a team to see if the two can co-exist. If they can, then Moncton gets a team. But I don't see it happening for at least 10 years.

I think the CFL has an agenda, but they are not adverse to being proven wrong by Moncton. Frankly, I think that is the best Moncton could have hoped for. I do think the CFL has a lot of goodwill towards Moncton as they are helping them out of a 30 year dilemna by providing a stadium that can hold a reasonable number of fans so they can play a "Maritime CFL fan renewal" game (or two) each year and not lose their shirts.

Frankly with regards to the number of games arguement, I'd feel better about it if the season wasn't so long and didn't end in the winter. Attendance generally dips in long football seasons for startup and weaker market teams (Check the shortlived USFL attendance for a good example of this.). This is a big reason why CFL expansion is often rough. The league isn't set up logically at all.

Rather than having to do well 5,6 or even 8 times at home, the CFL team has to do it 9 times. A bad winter could make 1-2 games attendance losers and put most teams in the red--- especially a commuter-supported startup team. I disagree with your 3 hour premise overall as I think most game attendance is fueled by the immediate vacinity. Marketing and supplimental attendance is where the money could be made in the 3 hour setup. The CFL model is all about gate revenue and I doubt the league has the wherewithall to provide any guidance to make it work in Moncton. Regardless, team attendance would likely be more consistent with shorter travel to the games. With a small stadium, that is a big deal. 7 sellouts at 18-20K followed by 1-2 bad games might drop attendance to 16K, again putting the team in the red.

Now are there sugar daddy's who could eat losses most years for the 10 years required to make this work? Sure. But they might not be interested. Or they might want wait for the Halifax owner's gig.

I think Moncton is a great potential site for non-NFL pro football, but I think it is a questionable site for CFL pro football, with that lousy financial model. That is all you have in Canada, so IMO the city is on the right path with their cautious approach. They appear to have made all the smart decisions in this.

Last edited by Finiteman; Jun 20, 2009 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 3:16 AM

Quote:
I keep waiting for an announcement. It HAS to be their plan, doesn't it? Why else would you build an 8K football stadium on campus?

That would be the greatest thing to happen to CIS football in quite a long time, allowing the AUS to play a full head to head schedule ---- cutting travel costs and likely stabilizing the athletic programs out there.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 3:32 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I keep waiting for an announcement. It HAS to be their plan, doesn't it? Why else would you build an 8K football stadium on campus?

That would be the greatest thing to happen to CIS football in quite a long time, allowing the AUS to play a full head to head schedule ---- cutting travel costs and likely stabilizing the athletic programs out there.
It's actually a 10,000 seat stadium with an additional 10,000 temporary bleacher seats for the World Junior Track & Field Championships. It is my understanding that with the proposed CFL games to be played in the facility that these "temporary" bleachers will be left in place for the time being.

U de M will establish a football program (I can't imagine that they won't). There would be a natural rivalry with Mount Allison University 30 minutes down the road in Sackville. I also foresee UNB possibly starting up a program if U de M does. This would give the AUS six teams, which as you say would give the league more stability.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 3:56 AM

Quote:
It's actually a 10,000 seat stadium with an additional 10,000 temporary bleacher seats for the World Junior Track & Field Championships. It is my understanding that with the proposed CFL games to be played in the facility that these "temporary" bleachers will be left in place for the time being.

U de M will establish a football program (I can't imagine that they won't). There would be a natural rivalry with Mount Allison University 30 minutes down the road in Sackville. I also foresee UNB possibly starting up a program if U de M does. This would give the AUS six teams, which as you say would give the league more stability.
I think the temp seating would not help U de Moncton in establishing their football fan base, but there is little reason to discuss that at this point.

I wonder if UPEI would play as well. With Mt. Allison and Moncton on board, travel would not be very expensive at all. I want to say I read an article about folks out that way pining for it (but that may have been all there was to that). It would be pretty cool if New Moncton Stadium gave birth to all that change.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
They could overhaul the Gorsebrook field area with a stadium that would be within walking distance of both Dal and SMU.

Eventually Halifax will just build a stadium and probably get a team. Unfortunately, things move very slowly there.
I was goofing around with photoshop and did a quick very scaled down version of Saputo at 44.635284, -63.583277 for Dalhousie and St. Mary's taking advantage of the parking there. I was curious if it would fit. Barely if at all. The Dalhousie endzone with their paint, SMU's with theirs. Probably 10K for about $14-15M if the land was available and there were no hidden problems at the site.

Dogs and cats stadium? lol!

Too much free time, I know.

Last edited by Finiteman; Jul 8, 2009 at 5:00 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 8:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Hopefully if such a thing were built it would also involve the demolition of some of the ugly buildings nearby. Reusing existing parking lots doesn't matter much. Building a stadium that small also seems like a waste. A budget of $100M or more isn't really that outlandish if the universities, city, and province are in on it. The city alone was willing to assume on the order of $250M or so for the CWGs, which seemed reasonable -- the cold feet happened after the announcement of ballooning costs that would exceed $1B in total, with one third of that being the responsibility of the HRM. It is kind of sad that nobody (as far as I know) changed gears after the failed bid and tried to save some share of the existing funding commitments to build a stadium. It was only a small part of the overall cost.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 10:40 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Hopefully if such a thing were built it would also involve the demolition of some of the ugly buildings nearby. Reusing existing parking lots doesn't matter much. Building a stadium that small also seems like a waste. A budget of $100M or more isn't really that outlandish if the universities, city, and province are in on it. The city alone was willing to assume on the order of $250M or so for the CWGs, which seemed reasonable -- the cold feet happened after the announcement of ballooning costs that would exceed $1B in total, with one third of that being the responsibility of the HRM. It is kind of sad that nobody (as far as I know) changed gears after the failed bid and tried to save some share of the existing funding commitments to build a stadium. It was only a small part of the overall cost.
Yeah, I believe it was $150 million of the $1 billion.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 7:44 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Dogs and cats stadium? lol!

Too much free time, I know.
Hey, I've been wondering how much space a proper stadium would take up there for a long time. Is that accurate? Those buildings on the upper right are expendable as far as I'm concerned. What about another location slightly to the right, and down a little. There's a steep hill there where you could build a nice sunken bowl.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Hey, I've been wondering how much space a proper stadium would take up there for a long time. Is that accurate? Those buildings on the upper right are expendable as far as I'm concerned. What about another location slightly to the right, and down a little. There's a steep hill there where you could build a nice sunken bowl.
I considered the other spot too, but chose this one because it was 1) right next to usable parking, 2) about halfway between the two campuses, 3) next to some kind of building that might be converted into a feildhouse, and 4) it had the endzones pointing at each school.

With regards to the dimensions, I can't guarantee total accuracy, but it is probably pretty close. I used a capture of Montreal's Saputo stadium off google maps at the 100 FT view (see measurement guide) as the main source material.

Saputo has a covered grandstand on the east side of the field extending from a large building (feildhouse/dressing/showering area?), a plain grandstand in the north endzone, a longer plan grandstand on the west side of the field, and a big slab of cement extending from the southern end zone. It has a minimum of stadium lights. It is quite a value for the money spent when you consider it is a pro sports stadium.

The feild is taken from SMU's stadium at the same resolution also off google. Finally, I took the open endzone at Saputo and dropped it over the end zone with the grandstand to create two open endzones (where temp seating could be added) and took the uncovered grandstand and dropped it over Saputo's covered grandstand and the attached building (feildhouse?).

I suspect a lot of the inexpensive nature of Saputo came from them essentially ONLY paying for the lights, stadium (and facilities/fieldhouse?) itself. I suspect they were given use of the land and there was likely little to no work required to prep it. Maybe the same factors could be acheived at this site; maybe not. Still things could likely be done quite cheaply.

I tried to take advantage of as much of the existing setup as possible to limit what needed to be built. Really this is just field markings, turf improvements, some kind of bleachers/seating, and a bit more concrete laid outside either endzone yeilding a 8-10 K stadium that might be expandable via temp seating to 15k+. This is what SMU football needs (IMO) to truly become the eastern PEER to Laval at the highest end of CIS football, could be used by Dalhousie in the future if they did decide to play football, and would be an improvement for potentially drawing Atlanic TD games and Vanier cups, but would be far less than what the CFL wants for a permanent team.

Well, I hope it excites anyone out in Halifax and maybe spurs you guys to get a grass roots effort to get something built out there. Even if you don't have the support for a $100K+ stadium that the CFL BOG wants, there is no reason not to spend $15-20M on an upgraded stadium for your colleges.

Think Concordia Stadium with two grandstands...

http://buildings.concordia.ca/plan/?...a70dbc99b39e9f

(click the link "Sports Complex")

There is nothing to say good CIS-level stadiums can't be built cheaply.

Last edited by Finiteman; Jul 8, 2009 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 5:18 AM

I fixed the picture above so it has the right end zones now.

I have been trying to figure out why Saputo was so cheap to build and how a 13K stadium can be permanently expanded to 20K so cheaply --- reportedly between 12-25M. I think I was able to find the answer looking at old map images.

Saputo appears to have been on top of an old soccer facility at Olympic (as far as I can tell) eliminating the leveling of the feild, the pouring of much foundation, ect.

Pre-Stadium soccer field

Cement grandstand was already in place, I believe carved into a slope. Running track, lights, and field are present.

In Progress work

Track has been removed. Cheaper bleachers (temp syle?) have been put into place on the north and east sides.

Final Saputo Stadium
Seats have been attached to the existing cement west grandstand and a covering covers it. A feildhouse has been added.

I think it looks like they would build a second tier on the west side to get capacity to 20,000. They might also have to add a southern bleacher.

I think the neat thing about all this is just how cheaply it was done, using what was already present.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 12:14 AM

moncton cfl

I live Calgary and just back from spending the weekend in Regina. On Saturday the Riders played Montreal. I was blown away how a city of 205,000 gets behind their team. Every place you go people are dressed in green, cars with rider flags, billboards you name it. I even landed up going to a house in a residential area where a couple had a tail gate party on their front lawn and it was open to anyone. I look at Moncton and see the same type of atmosphere. Heck when Regina was awarded a team their city had a population less then 100,000. Green bay has a population of 226,000 and they have a NFL team and a stadium of 72,000. Both places where told back in the day you guys are too small and it will never work. But what people did not realize is the passion that this communities have not just for their team but their city in general. As one rider fan said on Saturday " Once a week it allows our province, city, community to come together and to celebrate what we have. We get be on Tsn for the rest of nation to take notice and money can't buy the attention we get. He also went on to say that the Rider players spent hours in hospitals, schools, personal care homes donating their time for charity. Well Moncton here's your chance, it takes one person to get the party started. An individual to spread the word, get business people in the community aware, politicians aware. A guy in Winnipeg is trying everything he can to get an NHL team back in the peg. He even started a website. www.jetsowner.com. You would be surprised how he has radiio stations talking, business people talking, political leaders talking. Heck he is even selling t shirts and raising money. Someone has to step up to the plate and get the ball rolling like the guy from Winnipeg. Do you know how cool it would be to have a team in Moncton at a grey cup with millions of people watching. Never say Never!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 1:02 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thought I would re-post a couple of pictures of the new Moncton stadium (under construction) from the Moncton thread.

Both pictures by ErickMontreal

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 4:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Cyclist son of Blue Bombers CEO falls in love with Moncton
Published Saturday August 1st, 2009

Blue Bombers CEO Lyle Bauer, father of cyclist on cross-Canada fundraising trek, says Moncton could support CFL team
By Craig Babstock
Times & Transcript Staff

Wes Bauer was a long way from home yesterday during an appearance in Moncton.

Bauer, 20, is from Winnipeg but is in the middle of a three-month cross-Canada cycling trip called Chase the Cure, which is raising both funds for and awareness of the fight against the disease. He hasn't been home for a visit in five weeks but, when he cycled from the Moncton Coliseum to City Hall yesterday with a group of local riders, he was greeted by a taste of home.

City of Moncton officials, in preparation for Bauer's arrival, decided to surprise the young rider by flying in his parents, Lyle and Heidi Bauer. When Wes rode his bike up to City Hall, they were standing there waiting for him and an emotional reunion ensued. Wes' brother Brodie, who's driving the RV during the cross-country trip, was also on-hand for the reunion.

"I got there and saw them and I was almost confused," said a beaming Wes. "They were displaced, they're supposed to be in Winnipeg, but it's an absolute tremendous feeling to have my parents here. It's neat, it's very neat and was an emotional experience for us, for sure."

Wes said the entire experience in Moncton has been unforgettable.

"Wow, all I can say is wow. These people are passionate here. They want to find a cure for this disease, and you know what, you see it in every single person you look at here. I'm astounded, I'm shocked and I'm so pleased to be here right now, I don't want to leave."

A good crowd gathered to greet the cyclist and the city had the banners of the eight CFL teams hanging in the background. The CFL is a major sponsor of Wes, whose father is president and CEO of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

"The City of Moncton is proud to welcome an ambitious young man who is on a very commendable journey," said Deputy Mayor Merrill Henderson. "He is not so unlike many of our local youth in his drive and passion, and I can't wait to see the influence he has on other young Canadians.

"We are happy to support his cause, which is clearly uniting people from coast to coast."

Henderson handed Wes a $500 cheque on behalf of the city for his campaign and Brent Scrimshaw, the Atlantic Lottery Corporation's vice-president of business development, handed over a cheque for $2,200 from the employees of ALC. He also gave Wes a 6/49 ticket for tonight's $23 million draw.

Bill Whalen of Hawk Communications gave Wes a $500 cheque on behalf of his company and more donations were piling up at a nearby fundraising barbecue.

Lyle Bauer said they were thrilled to come to Moncton and see their son in the middle of his tour.

"It's a long trek and I know he's hit some hard weather over the last while and people lift him up along the way, but as strong as he is, mentally, at this point and time, maybe there was a need for a boost and we were able to be a small piece of that," said Lyle.

"The City of Moncton has been fabulous in supporting him and he really appreciates it."

Lyle was diagnosed with throat cancer a few years ago and, while he's now cancer-free, his experience inspired Wes' journey across the country. Lyle said he realized at the time his battle with cancer affected his family, but he never realized until later how much they were affected.

"It's very emotional, very humbling and very gratifying," he said, of his son's dedication to the cause and the fact Lyle was the inspiration.

Moncton is currently in negotiation with the CFL to host a few regular season games here over the next few years and has long-term ambitions to land an expansion team. Lyle sits on the league's board of governors and he said the league may come to the Maritimes in the next few years.

"I know the league is working hard trying to put something together to bring some games (to Moncton) in the future and, who knows, maybe a franchise," he said. "I think it's a great area and a team would be very much supported as demonstrated by the ability to put on large events like the Rolling Stones, AC/DC and all those types of things.

"There's a few things that have to come together, but I think you'd find there is great support for getting the Canadian Football League across the country to truly turn it into a coast-to-coast league."

It would seem that Moncton city council is serious enough about the CFL to fly the Blue Bombers CEO to the city for a personal junket.....so, what has Halifax done recently to advance their cause.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 4:11 PM

^Damn thats hard to one-up.

Oh well once he sees how much larger we are he'll change his mind.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 3:05 PM

Article from Saturday's Herald:

Biggest ‘by far’
Estimated 75,000 crowd Cole Harbour route to celebrate Crosby’s first Cup
By BILL SPURR Staff Reporter
Sat. Aug 8 - 4:46 AM

IF JOANNE OAKLEY and her friends seemed a little giddy at Sidney Crosby’s Stanley Cup celebration Friday afternoon, it wasn’t just because of the positive reaction to the banner they held, which said We Are Crosby’s Cougars.

All three had worked a night shift and hadn’t slept when they arrived at Cole Harbour Place. Oakley and Stephanie Pard work at the youth detention centre in Waterville, and one of the inmates there made their banner.

"We’re independent, older women. Actually, I’m the only older one, but we got awesome reactions. (Maxime) Talbot liked it; he told us he was a cougar," said Oakley, who’s 39. "We did get more of a reaction than we expected, but Crosby didn’t give us as much attention as we wanted."

Oakley, Pard and their friend Lindsay Cooley all play on a Dartmouth women’s hockey team called Conrad’s Cougars, which gave them the inspiration for their banner.

"One guy yelled over, ‘My last name can be Crosby,’ and I asked him, ‘Do you have the eight-point-seven to go with it?’ " said Oakley, referring to Crosby’s annual salary. She also jokingly threatened to take her Sea-Doo out to Grand Lake to try to crash Crosby’s private party there.

A crowd estimated at 75,000 lined the streets of the parade route and jammed the parking lot at Cole Harbour Place, a gathering a Hockey Hall of Fame official described as the biggest Stanley Cup celebration "by far."

The Cup arrived Friday morning at a private terminal at Halifax Stanfield International Airport, where it was met by Crosby and his father. Talbot, Crosby’s Pittsburgh Penguins teammate, flew down from Montreal to be part of his friend’s day.

"When we won the Cup, I talked to some guys that won it before and they said to try to enjoy it and try to stay as close as possible to the Stanley Cup," Talbot said. "Sid’s a good friend of mine and I wanted to share that day with him today. I knew Sid was going to do it the right way."

A Sea King helicopter took the group for an aerial tour of Cole Harbour before doing a low-level pass of the Halifax waterfront, with the Cup perched next to an open side door, before landing on the flight deck of HMCS Preserver. When Crosby got out of the Sea King, he was wearing an air force ball cap, and held the Cup aloft for an appreciative crowd of sailors and their families that numbered in the thousands.

"The military is obviously an important part when you think about your country as a whole," Crosby said when asked why he had made the military such a big part of his celebration. "Being brought up here, I see the dockyards, I see the ships every time I drive over the bridge, so this is something that I thought was important. There’s a lot of troops that are overseas but, for the ones that are here, I thought they would get a kick out of it. As you can see, it’s been a pretty good turnout."

Crosby posed for photos with 50 different groups of military personnel from Halifax, Greenwood and Gagetown, N.B., before climbing into a Light Armoured Vehicle with the Cup, leading a procession of LAVs en route to a visit to the IWK Children’s Hospital.

"It’s a pretty neat experience and to be able to share it with everyone is something that I wanted to do. You never know when you’re going to get this opportunity again. Hopefully, it’s soon, so you just try to enjoy it as much as you can," he said.

"It’s almost like a dream. That’s the special thing about getting the Cup. It’s one thing to win, but there aren’t any other sports that give you this opportunity to spend time with it and share it with others, and I think that’s what we get a kick out of as players."

At Cole Harbour Place, there was a good crowd already in attendance at 11:30 a.m., four hours before the parade was scheduled to conclude there. An army of volunteers barbecued, sold thousands of posters and T-shirts, hauled wagons of Gatorade, and swept up. Lineups for food were so long that waits of 40 minutes were common. All that was missing was a sunscreen booth, and people staked out the few shady spots, including the pavement underneath a big Farmer’s Dairy truck.

One poster told Crosby that It’s Worth Getting Blisters to See You and Stanley.

The crowd was something to behold, and one visitor from Toronto said, "Don’t tell me this city can’t support a CFL team."

Crosby, riding in the parade with the Stanley Cup in an antique navy fire truck, seemed a little overwhelmed by the size of the throng, and when he took the stage with the trophy the crowd reacted as if a rock music god had arrived — a rock god, minus the attitude.

During the tail end of the celebration, Crosby and his teammate took questions from fans. Queries ranged from hockey to whether or not the athletes had a Facebook site.

Crosby smiled and said he doesn’t have a social networking page.

"No Facebook for me — sorry," he replied.

He then suited up for an evening roller hockey game with friends, donning goalie gear to guard one of the nets.

The game on the tennis courts came after Crosby thanked everyone, and said he wanted to speak especially to the young hockey players in attendance.

"I once had the same dreams that you have now," he said. "The proof is right here that you can do it."

( bspurr@herald.ca)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces