HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 3, 2010, 9:19 PM
Robotic Construction

The ICE-III (tilting) has the ability to hit sharper curves at high speeds. It also powers every other axle, allowing for grades up to 7% (which is greater than the typical 4% maximum grade for steel-wheel high speed strains). It has solid acceleration both for speeding up and slowing down (deceleration). It has a maximum speed of 220 mph and an average operating speed of up around 178 mph in lines in Germany where it is used in semi-mountainous regions. I understand the LA-Vegas route bypasses the more mountainous areas, but it still is going to pass through a lot of hilly and curvy terrain (it's not Kansas).

Thanks for the link to the DEIS. Unfortunately they did not go through the normal EIS process of evaluating every possible technology possible for this route. Typically in the first round of technology selection, you'll see 8-12 options -- most are eliminated in the first round as too costly or unproven. Instead, the developer said it's either going to be 125 mph DMU or 150 mph EMU HSR and went from there. 220 mph was never studied, nor was 280 mph mag-lev, 110 mph diesel, ect...

I do find it interesting they are considering 125 mph diesel though. Most of the 125 mph options I have seen are for high speed monorail or "American mag-lev" with on-board linear induction motors powered by overhead, electrified catenary cables. Which manufacturer produces the 125 mph DMU's? Are they from Spain?

This DEIS has a lot of excessive paperwork and not enough specific information on the options considered. it's without detailed graphics and explanations of costs and benefits. They are only considering one potential stop between Victorville and Las Vegas, instead of the normal process of considering every potential stop and thinning it down from there. Hopefully the Final EIS will be far better, this DEIS is the worse I've ever seen. Thanks again for hunting it down for us!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation