HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 8:45 PM

95 State tower crane looks like it's getting some additional height added in today.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 11:28 PM
One Thing At A Time

Naming neighborhoods is a fools errand IMO. It’s just throwing things against the wall to see what sticks. Ain’t no one calling the NOTE district NOTE. I’ve never heard anyone casually say Mavin or Liberty Wells or Central City. I think part of the problem is people trying to break things up into too small of an area. Mid town is two blocks wide. Give me a break! Neighborhoods will earn their name organically. I’ve heard West Liberty more than anything on this map. I feel like the Granary name is fading and people are just referring to that area as Central 9th. Why? Because there is actually something there. C9 is the hub the rest is mostly empty buildings. I feel the same way about the Post District. Stoked on the project but it’s two blocks. It’s not a district. Sugarhouse is a district.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 11:41 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Technically, downtown should be uptown. It'd make sense in the most directional definition of the word (unlike some cities whose uptowns are just named that). Most of Salt Lake City's population is located down from downtown.
Technically, north is not up. It would be better to think of it more like Upper and Lower Egypt.

But forget Uptown, I maintain Midtown is both a good name for the area south of 600 S and for the new TRAX stop. It really doesn't fit in with Downtown or Ballpark and I'm glad to see that someone else had the idea before me.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 1:02 PM

Found these renderings of a new high-rise. The website does not have any information below their pictures but I found out where its located from the surrounding buildings in the renderings and also the building its integrated with. Located at 158 E 200 S, it is 24 stories tall.
https://elev8architecture.com/

I'm hoping someone on here has information about this because the website doesn't mention anything. Also I am assuming these are new as I cannot find these renderings anywhere else.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
Found these renderings of a new high-rise. The website does not have any information below their pictures but I found out where its located from the surrounding buildings in the renderings and also the building its integrated with. Located at 158 E 200 S, it is 24 stories tall.

I'm hoping someone on here has information about this because the website doesn't mention anything. Also I am assuming these are new as I cannot find these renderings anywhere else.
Interesting...parts of that feel more like an Architecture Student Project than an actual plan or proposal...and although they use Gaudi as inspiration for those "decorative dissolving spires," they remind me more of the wreckage from the World Trade Center than anything else.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 1:34 PM
of SLC

Names for neighborhoods happen organically.

Giving them names or trying to make up new ones is like giving yourself a nickname. It doesn't work that way.

"hey guys, you can call me Big Bad Billy, that's my nickname."

"Okay, Jackass."

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 5:30 PM

Quote:

This feels a bit too idealistic to be real. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 6:49 PM

I like this project, but there is no info on it.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 6:50 PM

Quote:

I think this is more of an early feasibility/concept study.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
This feels a bit too idealistic to be real. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Seeing as they are the ones who made the crazy Hotel RL renovation/development renderings with the lagoon in the middle surrounded by midrises and highrises, I would agree. https://www.archres.com/project/rl-h...alt-lake-city/ For now the architectural firm did submit a building permit about two weeks ago to do demolition of finishes on the southern building of Hotel RL so they can convert former hotel rooms into multifamily studio apartments.https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection= It does say on that website I linked that after the renovations are done for the hotel half and studio apartment half of the building, that they'll add the two-acre lagoon pool. If they can pull that off, these highrise renderings I posted earlier won't seem that idealistic anymore. But that probably won't happen. I also agree with you Orlando that it looks more like a concept study but at least we know what the future of that lot could look like/potentially be.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

I like this project, but there is no info on it.

I like how this project looks as well and thought it was here but its located in Boise https://boisedev.com/news/2019/12/17...lington-big-o/

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 8:25 PM

The three people listed on the ELEV8 about page all worked for Architectural Resources. ArchRes are the ones who did the RL hotel plan with the 2-acre lagoon, although these three ELEV8 people may have worked on it at ArchRes. Most of the images on the ELEV8 site they've taken from ArchRes.

One of the people, Rachel Mordaunt, only graduated with her M.Arch 2 years ago. Andrew Dugan got a Bachelor in Arch (I don't know what that even qualifies you to do) one year ago. The third guy, I couldn't find when he graduated, but the high rise looks like it's clearly a student project.

Quote:
Seeing as they are the ones who made the crazy Hotel RL renovation/development renderings with the lagoon in the middle surrounded by midrises and highrises, I would agree. https://www.archres.com/project/rl-h...alt-lake-city/ For now the architectural firm did submit a building permit about two weeks ago to do demolition of finishes on the southern building of Hotel RL so they can convert former hotel rooms into multifamily studio apartments.https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection= It does say on that website I linked that after the renovations are done for the hotel half and studio apartment half of the building, that they'll add the two-acre lagoon pool. If they can pull that off, these highrise renderings I posted earlier won't seem that idealistic anymore. But that probably won't happen. I also agree with you Orlando that it looks more like a concept study but at least we know what the future of that lot could look like/potentially be.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 9:49 PM

Wow. If that's the case, I would have high doubts that any of the projects are legit, including the Provo one. What I don't get is the Salt Lake connection. Why is all of Elev8's projects all out in Utah/Idaho, when both Rachel and Adrian went to school and worked out in the Buffalo area.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Wow. If that's the case, I would have high doubts that any of the projects are legit, including the Provo one. What I don't get is the Salt Lake connection. Why is all of Elev8's projects all out in Utah/Idaho, when both Rachel and Adrian went to school and worked out in the Buffalo area.
I assume you're referring to Mill Race in Provo. That was designed by ArchRes, which is apparently an award-winning architectural firm that has been in existence since 1991, based in Buffalo and NYC.

https://www.archres.com/project/mill...provo-station/

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
The three people listed on the ELEV8 about page all worked for Architectural Resources. ArchRes are the ones who did the RL hotel plan with the 2-acre lagoon, although these three ELEV8 people may have worked on it at ArchRes. Most of the images on the ELEV8 site they've taken from ArchRes.

One of the people, Rachel Mordaunt, only graduated with her M.Arch 2 years ago. Andrew Dugan got a Bachelor in Arch (I don't know what that even qualifies you to do) one year ago. The third guy, I couldn't find when he graduated, but the high rise looks like it's clearly a student project.
I would also say that the high rise is a student project. I do wonder though if this could be one of many conceptual proposals for a real development there in the future, kind of like what happened on the southeast portion of the block- https://eccles.utah.edu/ivory-boyer-...ate-challenge/

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Technically, downtown should be uptown. It'd make sense in the most directional definition of the word (unlike some cities whose uptowns are just named that). Most of Salt Lake City's population is located down from downtown.
At one point the area around the market street/exchange place area of Main Street was considered downtown, and the area around ZCMI was considered Uptown. Even the name of the adjacent Empress theater was changed to the “Uptown Theater.”

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I assume you're referring to Mill Race in Provo. That was designed by ArchRes, which is apparently an award-winning architectural firm that has been in existence since 1991, based in Buffalo and NYC.

https://www.archres.com/project/mill...provo-station/
Ya, but seeing that it's on Elev8's website and it looks really funky and that at least 2 of Elev 8's founders are just out of grad school or undergrad school, it's a good bet that it was designed by Elev 8's founders. It looks more like an architecture school project than a real one. So, I'm making an assumption that the Provo project will not get built, at least not in that form.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 7:56 PM

'Downtown' and 'Uptown' are all terms ported from New York City. We should stop using them and call our urban core the 'Commercial Business District' CBD like other English-speaking countries do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downto...sed%20instead.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
'Downtown' and 'Uptown' are all terms ported from New York City. We should stop using them and call our urban core the 'Commercial Business District' CBD like other English-speaking countries do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downto...sed%20instead.
I can’t imagine something more boring.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 10:47 PM

Lol, we could go back to the riveting flag debate!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West