HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
A source of mine has all but confirmed that Under Armour is coming to the Mapleton Centre.
ThAt will be a great addition to town and increase competition with Cleve’s and Sports check in that area.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
ThAt will be a great addition to town and increase competition with Cleve’s and Sports check in that area.
Be great if Georges St-Pierre would be there for the grand opening!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From Retail-Insider.com
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...8d27-113727169

First Planet Fitness in Atlantic Canada Coming to Moncton

In celebration of its fifth anniversary in the Canadian market Planet Fitness, one of the largest and fastest-growing global franchisors and operators of fitness clubs, with more members than any other fitness brand, announced the opening of a new club at 80 Mapleton Rd.in Moncton. This will be the first Planet Fitness club to enter the city of Moncton, and the first-ever club in the Atlantic region.

The new Moncton location is approximately 21,000 square feet, and will offer brand new cardio machines, new fully-equipped locker rooms with day lockers and showers, many full-size flat-screen televisions, a 30-minute express circuit, two massage chairs, two hydro lounges, two hydro beds, stand up and lay down tanning beds, and one Total Body Enhancement booth. The club will be open and staffed 24 hours, seven days a week. The new location is due to officially open its doors in late December 2020

Planet Fitness is currently accepting memberships during its presale for just $1 down online at planetfitness.ca and on-site at the presale office located next door to the club. Members can join through December 16, 2020 for just $1 down and then as little as $15 a month, plus a $39 annual fee.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 3:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Signage has gone up announcing the new Kent store to be built on Moncton Street in Mapleton Park Place, just off the TCH.

This store will be larger than their current store in Wheeler Park, and will have better visibility and better access for deliveries and for contractors than their current location.

The development corridor along the TCH around Moncton is really taking off. I'm willing to bet that in 20 years time, the TCH will be less of a bypass and more of a crosstown expressway.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Dec 6, 2020 at 4:59 PM. Reason: corrected street name

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 4:32 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Signage has gone up announcing the new Kent store to be built on Canada Street in Mapleton Park Place, just off the TCH
I thought Canada Street was the extension of Highfield around the events center. Are there going to be two Canada streets in Moncton?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 4:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
I thought Canada Street was the extension of Highfield around the events center. Are there going to be two Canada streets in Moncton?
Dammit - I meant to say Moncton Street - I will correct.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Dammit - I meant to say Moncton Street - I will correct.
I still can’t believe they named the street after the city. That’s like having a Rue Dieppe or a Riverview Avenue. I get the historical significance of something like Salisbury Road because that was the road you took to travel to Salisbury but to just name a random road after your city seems a little weird. Maybe they could have called it Kent Court and had it extend across mapleton to replace the Cabellas Court name since Cabellas isn’t there anymore.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 7:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I still can’t believe they named the street after the city. That’s like having a Rue Dieppe or a Riverview Avenue. I get the historical significance of something like Salisbury Road because that was the road you took to travel to Salisbury but to just name a random road after your city seems a little weird. Maybe they could have called it Kent Court and had it extend across mapleton to replace the Cabellas Court name since Cabellas isn’t there anymore.
I agree. Moncton Street seems very lame and unimaginative. They could have done far better.

If they were going to go this route, then why not name the street after the man that Moncton itself is named for and spell it properly - Monckton Street.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 9:41 PM

I said at the time it was a dumb idea to name a street Moncton Street. Now that they've done it, it sounds even worse than I thought it would be.
As well, I can recall when they named two streets after the businesses thereupon, Cabela's Court and whatever the street name is across from Kent Building Supplies in Harrisville, where they named a street after the hotel that's on it. In both cases, city planners said it was a bad idea and city street naming policies said it's a bad idea, but council approved it anyway.
Hotels change names with striking regularity, and now in the northwest end we have a street named after a retailer that has shut down in Moncton.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 3:38 AM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
They have a rue Dieppe it's called Dieppe Boul lol just as uncreative

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 4:22 PM

Quote:
How are street names even decided anyways? Someone on city council comes up with them and there's a vote?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 4:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
How are street names even decided anyways? Someone on city council comes up with them and there's a vote?
In this particular case, they left the decision to Kent! They went to the city's street name bank and "Moncton Street" was an option!

Still a travesty, but a legal travesty...……….

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
They City has a bank of names that are available. Usually developers pick from this bank. They can get special permission to name it something not on the list however and sometimes the City will rename roads after someone. An example in my hometown, they renamed harbour drive Heather Moyce Drive after her when she won her Olympic medals.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 5:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
They City has a bank of names that are available. Usually developers pick from this bank. They can get special permission to name it something not on the list however and sometimes the City will rename roads after someone. An example in my hometown, they renamed harbour drive Heather Moyce Drive after her when she won her Olympic medals.
NB has a provincial toponomy service but not sure how prescriptive they are or if for municipalities it just provides advice and guidelines.

Your neighbour to the west has a toponomy commission which is quite top-down and can reject proposed street names. You can't choose street names for a company here or for a living person. Though some do exist from the old days.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 7:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There's a job listing on Indeed.com for Atlantic SmokeHaus in Dieppe.

https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Retail&...a72b3d65bfd17f

It appears they specialize in premium smoked meats and sauces. They have a Facebook page which states they are opening December 15th.

https://www.facebook.com/Atlantic-Sm...=page_internal

Does anyone know anything about this? They appear to have a current location in Richibuctou.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 8:59 PM

Quote:
There's a job listing on Indeed.com for Atlantic SmokeHaus in Dieppe.

https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Retail&...a72b3d65bfd17f

It appears they specialize in premium smoked meats and sauces. They have a Facebook page which states they are opening December 15th.

https://www.facebook.com/Atlantic-Sm...=page_internal

Does anyone know anything about this? They appear to have a current location in Richibuctou.
This would be a great addition to the Junction building on Vaughan Harvey. But with Dec. 15th opening, it would obviously be somewhere else.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
This would be a great addition to the Junction building on Vaughan Harvey. But with Dec. 15th opening, it would obviously be somewhere else.

When you Google them, the description of their website says "489 Acadie Avenue, Dieppe , New Brunswick".

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 4:31 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Planet Fitness is apparently now open...........

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 5:24 PM

Liquidation sales have started at all Naturalizer stores across Canada and USA (except for 2 locations in the USA). They will be transitioning into an online retailer.

(Photo is from Retail Talk & Share NB).

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 8:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Northwest Centre Update:

1) - the new TD Bank branch going in between SportChek & Rogers is reaching the finish line. The facade is now a bright lime TD green. The only thing left for the facade is the actual signage.

2) - there was a rumour from several months ago that Subway was not offered a lease extension by Plaza Corp, because Plaza had "other plans" for their CRU. These other plans may also include the H&R Block unit next door. No word yet on what Plaza has in mind, but the rumours are that both Subway and H&R Block will be offered space in the Plaza Boulevard Centre (also owned by Plaza Corp).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces