HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 1:56 AM
Community Guy

Heading to Edmonton tomorrow for the game; I believe that by August we will be doing things folks did not expect the Elks to do this year.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 5:23 AM

Touchdown Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There is another surprise lurking for potential visitors. There are almost no rental cars left to be had at Halifax airport this summer at any price. Anyone considering flying in should plan to fly to New Brunswick if they need a rental car to get to Wolfville.
I was speaking to a CFL source today and they mentioned that they had 30 buses for their shuttle service from downtown Halifax. They will continually loop back and forth pre and post game as required. By their calculations, it should more than meet demand based on the number of out of province ticket buyers.

They seemed more concerned about the parking in Wolfville being overwhelmed. There are Park and Ride lots there, but they are of limited capacity.

Last edited by DavefromSt.Vital; Jul 7, 2022 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Are the Bombers actual underdogs against BC?
I'm not convinced that the Bombers are the team of the past 2 years. They're 4 and 0, and a win is a win in sports don't get me wrong, at 4-0 they're already locked in at least a crossover spot. But they've played 4 eastern teams and 3 of the wins were off the skin of their ass. BC came back to earth last week and Rourke will have to clean up his game a bit, but I easily take BC this week.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Alouettes fire HC Khari Jones and DC Barron Miles, bring in Danny Maciocia.

Seems a little rash to me, but I guess the Als know what they're doing...
This firing stinks to me. Not only is it a premature desicion but the timing... on the eve of the NHL draft being held in Montreal with Montreal picking #1... I wonder what the Montreal media will be talking about for the next 96 hours and then into free agency next week.

Last edited by 25grapes; Jul 7, 2022 at 2:00 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 1:45 PM

Jones firing needed to be done they take way too many stupid penalties and Jones was unable to get any team discipline going there past few years.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
I was speaking to a CFL source today and they mentioned that they had 30 buses for their shuttle service from downtown Halifax. They will continually loop back and forth pre and post game as required. By their calculations, it should more than meet demand based on the number of out of province ticket buyers.

They seemed more concerned about the parking in Wolfville being overwhelmed. There are Perk and Ride lots there, but they are of limited capacity.
Wow, kudos to them for getting this organized. But this is the first I'm hearing about it... I wonder how well known this service is among people coming in from out of town? I figure that out of town attendees would have made plans by now.

I'll be flying into Halifax next Friday but unfortunately I couldn't fit the game into my schedule... I'd have loved to go.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 8:32 PM

Jim Mullin president of football Canada:

https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/1545020661474529281

@Jim_MullinTSN
says
@CFL
ought to take a look at S. Ontario region of Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge area, & Guelph for #CFL expansion.

- looking to retrofit a stadium.
- 740,000 ppl in region
- bustling businesses & commerce, good incomes (disposable income)

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 8:34 PM

Relocating Argos to either London or Kitchener-Waterloo also would make sense. These areas have tons of disposable income and strong companies for corporate support and the region has large population base and virtually zero sports competition other than OHL junior hockey.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Relocating Argos to either London or Kitchener-Waterloo also would make sense. These areas have tons of disposable income and strong companies for corporate support and the region has large population base and virtually zero sports competition other than OHL junior hockey.
I wouldn't want to add the instability of a new franchise along with the instability of old franchises. Move the Argos there might be the better option. But that might leave the door open for NFL. I know we can all go back and forth about NFL in Toronto but just leaving that open opportunity might not be a good idea. NFL in Toronto would saturate all media coverage. If things were fair the CFL could survive that, but things are not fair especially the love for all things American in that market.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 9:57 PM

There is no need to move the Argos. But expansion makes sense. If Halifax is not interested then find somewhere else... and Mullin is right, there are some big cities in places like southern Ontario and western Canada that could host a team.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:19 AM

Tre Ford injured his throwing shoulder and left the game. Very disappointing as I was really looking forward to seeing him develop

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 8:04 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Heading to Edmonton tomorrow for the game; I believe that by August we will be doing things folks did not expect the Elks to do this year.
Well IMO they need to shore-up their O-line and D-line if they want to “do things”.
A 49-6 beat down by the Stamps tonight.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 1:27 PM
arf

Quote:
There is no need to move the Argos. But expansion makes sense. If Halifax is not interested then find somewhere else... and Mullin is right, there are some big cities in places like southern Ontario and western Canada that could host a team.
I would like the CFL to move on from Halifax. Just tell them the CFL is interested, but right now, talk to us when there is actual interest from the city as well as an owner. Without having at least some backing from the city it is not going to happen and it won't happen anywhere without that. Unless there is a reasonable facility currently available it's pretty much a non-starter.

Wow, it really looked Edmonton was getting closer with a few close games and even a come back win. Whew, I was wrong.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 3:08 PM

I see the Edmonton rebuild is going to take the long road. After suffering two blowout losses in the first five weeks of the season, I think this season is basically done for the Elks.

I couldn't see the game last night except for the last few minutes, and by that point the Elks were totally dialed out.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 3:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I would like the CFL to move on from Halifax. Just tell them the CFL is interested, but right now, talk to us when there is actual interest from the city as well as an owner. Without having at least some backing from the city it is not going to happen and it won't happen anywhere without that. Unless there is a reasonable facility currently available it's pretty much a non-starter.
This doesn't really fit with what happened. In December 2019 or so the municipality approved funding and the CFL made this statement:

Quote:
“Today’s vote in Halifax is a giant step forward for the plan for a new stadium there and, ultimately, the launch of a new CFL franchise in Atlantic Canada. Councillors for the Halifax Regional Municipality have essentially approved the municipal portion of the needed financing. There is more work ahead, of course, for the Schooners Sports and Entertainment group and the stadium project. But today represents an important milestone for everyone who shares the dream of a truly coast-to-coast CFL.”
https://www.cfl.ca/2019/12/10/cfl-is...-council-vote/

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 3:59 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Did Covid basically kill the latest attempt to put a team in Halifax or is their still faint hope ?
What happened to the Anthony Leblanc group - did he just get distracted by the Senators ?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Did Covid basically kill the latest attempt to put a team in Halifax or is their still faint hope ?
What happened to the Anthony Leblanc group - did he just get distracted by the Senators ?
The last I heard was the group was still going but LeBlanc was not part of it. IIRC

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 4:17 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This doesn't really fit with what happened. In December 2019 or so the municipality approved funding and the CFL made this statement:

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/12/10/cfl-is...-council-vote/
Sure, my first statement said "and owner," because after all that happened it really looked like there wasn't enough funding from the city for that owner. It was a flawed process throughout and really smacked of someone just trying to milk the system and avoid taking on too much risk. More of that needs to be sorted out prior to starting to involve the CFL. The CFL has enough issues right now to deal with outside trying to work with people to get them on the same page.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 5:40 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Sure, my first statement said "and owner," because after all that happened it really looked like there wasn't enough funding from the city for that owner. It was a flawed process throughout and really smacked of someone just trying to milk the system and avoid taking on too much risk. More of that needs to be sorted out prior to starting to involve the CFL. The CFL has enough issues right now to deal with outside trying to work with people to get them on the same page.
How can we know that this municipal funding wasn't enough when covid hit a few months after this announcement? Who else would have successfully set up a new CFL franchise in 2020? There is still a lot of economic uncertainty today; maybe it'll be resolved in a year or two or maybe not.

I find there's a big gap between the SSP CFL narrative and the CFL CFL narrative. You've got a 2019 press release about how great it is that the municipality funded the project, and the CFL are literally hosting a game in NS in a few days that sold out in an hour, but we keep seeing a negative drum beat about how it's time to give up on Halifax, no progress was made, and so on.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 7:20 PM

I'm pretty sure Ambrosie said the league was still in contact with the group during the pandemic and work was still being done by the ownership group.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada