HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 8:48 PM

70 Richmond Rd | 36m | 10f | Approved

No details, but seems there's a proposal coming for the southwest corner of Richmond and Island Park:
http://ourkitchissippi.ca/developmen...richmond-road/
Quote:
Community Meeting: Development at 70 Richmond Road
70 Richmond Road
December 19, 2013

On Wednesday, Janaury 15th, 2014, 7-9 PM in the upstairs meeting room at the Churchill Seniors Centre, I will be hosting a pre-consultation regarding development at 70 Richmond Road, currently home to Island Park Auto Sales.

No application has been made at this site. This meeting will be the first step in a community discussion with the developer before any decisions are made.

The zoning of the site is TM[83]H(15). Details of this zoning is available here. The site is part of the Richmond Road/Westboro Secondary Plan. Details of this plan are available here.

Hope to see you there,

Katherine

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
No details, but seems there's a proposal coming for the southwest corner of Richmond and Island Park:
http://ourkitchissippi.ca/developmen...richmond-road/
The fact the developer is meeting with the community before they make any plans makes me think it's Mizrahi again (or another developer that's following his approach). Another Mizrahi development would be great for that intersection. Hopefully whatever is proposed includes the Otto car dealership next door.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 2:56 AM

Where am I supposed to get a used car now?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 AM
National Capital Region

@jleiper 32m https://twitter.com/jleiper/status/423631139454980097
Relief at tonight's workshop for Island Pk/Richmond. Developer Main + Main asks for ideas: how to fit 4000 sq.m in zoned 4 storeys.

‏@jleiper 29m https://twitter.com/jleiper/status/423631883663323136
Walking by the site now on my way home. Here's the site:

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 9:41 PM

I hope Main + Main comes with some proper architecture this time. Their Toronto projects have some good design, but the renderings for their development down the street isn't the greatest.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 1:08 AM

Does anyone know anything about the building that's currently on the site? There seems to have been a service station there since c. 1934 (predating the Island Park Esso by three or four years) and I'm wondering if that's the original garage.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 5:31 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaSteve View Post
Does anyone know anything about the building that's currently on the site? There seems to have been a service station there since c. 1934 (predating the Island Park Esso by three or four years) and I'm wondering if that's the original garage.
King: Future looks bleak for Ottawa's historic 'cottage' gas station

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ge-gas-station

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:

Thanks for posting this! I didn't know much about this property even though I've driven by it so many times. It'd be a shame to get rid of it. But, at the same time I think that corner needs something substantial. I've got mixed feelings on this one for sure...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
Thanks for posting this! I didn't know much about this property even though I've driven by it so many times. It'd be a shame to get rid of it. But, at the same time I think that corner needs something substantial. I've got mixed feelings on this one for sure...
I agree. This area desperately needs development, especially this corner where you'll notice every business around it is dedicated to cars (gas station, automechanic, used car dealershipx3), viewable here and here. From Western to Kirkwood (maybe even to Tweedsmuir) it feels like a desert with little to no businesses along the stretch, prior to the QWest condos.

However, there are two buildings at that intersection that area really nice: that car dealership and the Art Moderne ESSO gas station below. I'll be sad to see them go, unless we're able to move them, which is unlikely. If they were able to, I wouldn't mind seeing them demolish Hush beside it and orienting it toward the street so they could build on that corner.

ESSO Gas Station by Shel DeF on Flickr

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Sep 15, 2014 at 11:15 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 1:32 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:

Although I enjoyed Learning the historical background about this gas station, what worries me is to see heritage rationales being developed to preserve what are essentially low density patterns of urbanization. No doubt that there is merit in keeping old buildings and in being able to relate them to their origin, but in a case like this, where the original use (a gas station) is no longer present, would it not be better for the building to be moved and be re-used for a purpose that suits its single-storey cottage shape? Because keeping it in situ is essentially locking that corner into a low-density footprint, and running the risk that the building will continue to house the types of things that are no longer relevant or wanted in evolving urban environments (i.e. used car lots).

There can be the purist viewpoint saying that in situ conservation is essential to maintain a link to the area's history as an early-age suburb that saw these original gas stations at major highway intersections, back in the day when that's what that corner was... but the gas station is no longer there, this is now an inner-urban intersection and a gateway between two major neighbourhoods, at a location where the urban fabric is weaker and a little more disjointed and where intensification would sew a stronger bond between Wellington West and Westboro... and this site serves as a used car dealership.

If the building can be re-used for any of the things that belong on a Traditional Mainstreet, great. I can see a restaurant with a big patio out front, and a re-use of the municipal laneway to access parking, if any, on the site, away from the sidewalk. Although, the building looks to me a wee bit too small to be effective as a restaurant. And that would be a very big patio to fill at this corner, in an area that doesn't really have any nightlife yet. So the space risks being too empty, which is the opposite of what a key corner like this should be. Likewise, it would be difficult to find a viable retail operation for such a small building - which limits what can realistically happen on this site if it's left intact. As for the original purpose, I doubt that a modern-day gas station would move into this property and re-use the building (although by purist standards, this should be the goal to strive for).

Basically, the problem with preserving that type of car-oriented site is their footprint, which is back from the street and designed for front yard parking and car crossings of the sidewalk in front of the building.

If the building could be moved forward, facade maintained for the ground floor, and a few storeys built above, that could be one way to preserve this little slice of automobile heritage without imposing the automobile function and footprint onto a mainstreet that is trying hard to become more pedestrian-friendly.

In short - in my opinion, it would be interesting to see if the prominent components of this building could be dismantled and reassembled as part of a redevelopment that takes a more urban footprint, and introduces the appropriate density into this key corner, or moved to a different site altogether.

The difference between "old heritage" and "car-era heritage" is that "old heritage" is a lot more flexible in its possibilities for re-use. Preserving movie theatres has been clamored for in vain, as commercial businesses, but many older cinema buildings themselves have wonderfully re-adapted. Whereas "car-era heritage" comes with the sprawly, low-density footprint that represents all the anti-urban damage we are now trying to undo.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:24 AM

In a hypothetical world in which we're rapidly replacing suburbs with urban neighbourhoods by redeveloping them in their entirety such that car suburbs are about to cease to exist, I actually would support keeping a single loopy crescent intact with a heritage designation to remind us of what our cities had to deal with for decades. But yes, I get your point and I agree.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 11:04 PM
National Capital Region

IIRC the site was fenced off when I drove by over the weekend

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
IIRC the site was fenced off when I drove by over the weekend
There have been fences around the property since around November when I took this photo.

Island Park Motors] by Shel DeF on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 11:14 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Planning committee approves heritage designation for Westboro gas station

Adam Feibel, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: August 25, 2015 | Last Updated: August 25, 2015 6:42 PM EDT

A former gas station in Westboro once owned by Pierre Trudeau’s father is now one step closer to being a designated heritage site, despite the objections of the property owner.

Council’s planning committee Tuesday reaffirmed the built-heritage subcommittee’s decision to grant heritage designation to the cottage-like building at 70 Richmond Rd. because of its architecture, location and historical value. Opened in 1934, it is possibly the city’s earliest example of a drive-in gas station.

Both Heritage Ottawa and the Island Park Community Association supported the proposal at Tuesday’s meeting, but not the property owner.

Carl Furney of FoTenn Consultants Inc. — representing owners Main & Main Developments of Toronto — told the committee his client opposes the heritage designation and recommends structural and environmental assessments before making a decision. The developer has previously said that the parking lot is contaminated, and there might also be contamination underneath the building.

“It’s very hard to look at any adaptive reuses,” Furney said Tuesday. “We feel that it’s premature, at this point, to designate.”

Duff Mitchell of the Island Park Community Association said his board wishes to support the developer’s efforts while still maintaining the cultural heritage value of the site.

If passed by city council next month, the heritage designation would only apply to the building’s exterior and location, so the interior could be changed. The building sits at the back of a small parking lot, and one of the options suggested at the meeting was to move the building closer to the street corner and build a multi-use complex behind it.

If Main & Main wanted to move the building to a different spot on the lot, it would need council’s approval.

The matter will go to council for final approval on Sept. 9.

afeibel@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/adamfeibel

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ro-gas-station

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]Council’s planning committee Tuesday reaffirmed the built-heritage subcommittee’s decision to grant heritage designation to the cottage-like building at 70 Richmond Rd. because of its architecture, location and historical value. Opened in 1934, it is possibly the city’s earliest example of a drive-in gas station.
Personally, I don't see the historic architectural value of a gas station especially at this location. It's like preserving Ottawa's first parking lot.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybongo View Post
Personally, I don't see the historic architectural value of a gas station especially at this location. It's like preserving Ottawa's first parking lot.
This decision wasn't ever really about the heritage of this property (conspiracy theory alert!). This decision was meant to designate an unimportant building as heritage simply due to aesthetics to stop development of this site. I could understand if this were the first gas station to ever be built in Ottawa, but as this is simply a gas station from 80 years ago, and was a part of a chain, it's not as important historically as something like Laurier House or Booth House.

This area could really use development because it's a desert for shoppers and pedestrians (and you can include cyclists, as this section isn't very safe). For around 6 blocks from Western to Tweedsmuir there are few businesses worth visiting (other than the Superstore). It was mostly large lawns or gas stations, vacant lots, concrete walls. Development in this area would mean more people residing in the neighbourhood and more businesses that would connect Westboro to West Wellington's commercial main street.

However, if they are trying to prevent development of this site, then they could consider a density transfer to the other corners. Allow 12 stories instead of the 9 this gateway intersection is supposed to have according to the CDP certain councillors and community associations want developers to strictly adhere to. Of course, this means the city would have to change their position on Mizrahi's building to allow this.

Another option I've thought about is whether the city would consider moving this gas station and some others that are a bit more interesting to a location along the Ottawa River. People want restaurants and washrooms to stop at while they use the MUP. Some locations have parking already that allow others to come by car. The city could take these buildings and move them to the river. This gas station could be moved down Island Park Drive to beside the Champlain Bridge even.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 5:59 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Seriously? They're preserving that?

I could see put a heigh limit on the lot and pushing for a public park or something, but that's one of the more important intersections in that part of Ottawa, it should have something better than a run down gas station hiding behind a bit of asphalt.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Seriously? They're preserving that?

I could see put a heigh limit on the lot and pushing for a public park or something, but that's one of the more important intersections in that part of Ottawa, it should have something better than a run down gas station hiding behind a bit of asphalt.
Andrew King proposed some ideas with how the site could be used such as these, or this one. The site isn't big enough for everything, though.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:27 PM
Busy Beaver

I wonder what the community association would say if they were to turn it back into a gas station. If I were the owners, I would threaten to do just that

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa