HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 12:41 AM

Convention Center Renovation

A few pics of the $52-60M reno.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 2:31 AM
(the rascacielo freak)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Streetcars getting tested on Loyola!!!

This is friggin' GREAT news!

I hope this stimulates the area around Plaza Tower. I love New Orleans so very much, one of the greatest cities in America!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
I always had faith South Market would happen since Domain has a pretty good track record with the 4 apartment complexes they have built the last few years. But every article about this project over the last two years has pushed the start date two quarters from the present time. The goal posts are pretty worn out....

They did the same thing with the apartment complexes in Mid-City. It took them several years to get them built and SMD is bigger. I have faith it will eventually get built.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 4:05 PM

Bryan Burns publicly stated that he has no intention of renovated the building for the next 2-3 years. And then this past week he wanted to get approved to open the parking garage only, likely to help pay his carrying costs. Council lady Cantrall is pushing for him to give an outline of his intentions before they allow the the parking lot to be opened. And the SMD is pushing back b/c its going to make it difficult for their project to work since they have parking garages that they plan on generating revenue from to cover their financing.

I agree though if the Plaza Tower is going to be in commerce that shouldn't be allowed to open their lot which would take from other viable projects.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 4:41 PM
-

I think thats very short sighted and antifree market to decide how people should pursue a development strategy. Regardless of what Plaza Tower does South Market Street should be viable on its own merits not what other developers do or dont do. Clearly the owner is waiting for the building to turn old enough for historic tax credits. Why let the building sit vacant for two years when it can at least be open for parking which in those two years will be much more in demand when south market starts construction since two lots will close and when it opens I think parking will be in more demand than it is now.

Fremaux Town Center

Project Type Building Use Status
New Construction
Site Work Educational
Hotel / Motel
Medical
Multi-Residential
Office
Restaurant
Retail
Theaters / Auditoriums Design
Sector Est. Start Date
Private Monday, July 1, 2013
Estimated Value* Square Footage
$500,000,000.00 1000000
Address
Fremaux Avenue and Old Spanish Trail
Slidell, LA 70458
Saint Tammany County
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA Region
Description Site work and new construction of a mixed-use master-planned community. Design plans call for the construction of a university research center, offices, medical facilities, movie theaters, residential developments, and over 700,000 square feet of mass and specialty retail and restaurants.

A general contractor will be selected in February 2013. Site work construction is expected to commence in March 2013. Vertical construction is expected to commence July 2013

Architectural Services - Ophthalmology Renovation, LSU Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, Project No. 19-604N-05-05, Part 03

New Construction
Site Work Medical Conceptual
Sector Bid Date Est. Start Date
Public Thursday, January 31, 2013 Friday, January 31, 2014
Estimated Value*
$6,267,000.00
Address
Bolivar Street
New Orleans, LA 70112
Orleans County
Description NOTICE - - - ARCHITECTURAL SERVICES WANTED Applications for Architectural Services for the following projects will be accepted until 4:00 p.m., Thursday, January 31, 2013. (Your attention is called to the 4:00 p.m. deadline -- exceptions WILL NOT be made).

Permanent Repairs & Mitigation Roman Street Garage - LSU Health Sciences Center New Orleans, Louisiana

Renovation Educational
Parking Garage Bid Results
Public Thursday, December 13, 2012 Thursday, February 14, 2013
Estimated Value* Solicitation #
$500,700.00 01-107-05B-13, Part XG
Address
Roman Street
New Orleans, LA 70126
Orleans County

Remediation And Demolition Of Christopher Park

Demolition
Site Work Playgrounds / Parks / Athletic Fields Sub-Bidding
Public Monday, February 11, 2013 Monday, March 11, 2013
Estimated Value* Solicitation #
$1,100,000.00 13-912-08

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 5:57 PM

Yea well that's what they are doing.

Either way I can see SMD's point. But I'm doubtful either will be doing anything anytime soon and hopefully this will force SMD to do something, since, yes, PT is waiting on tax credits.

If SMD doesn't move forward Loyola will continue to be a wasteland as it has been. They both should be more than aware that it takes maneuvering to make things happen and its not shocking that the council is probably as impatient as the rest of the city with that area and the constant 'setbacks'.

Stoked about the city at least leaving open the possibility that the WTC could be turned into something else vs being torn down. More importantly crossing the intersection of Loyola and Poydras no longer requires an off road suv! Great to see the city completing things on time!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 6:26 PM

Politics absolutely influence development so all I have to say is RAY NAGIN HAS BEEN INDICTED ON 21 COUNTS OF CORRUPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally unrelated to development but can someone with a subscriptionn give me the gist of this CityBusiness article about a former coworker of mine? Maybe email it to me or something off the blog? http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...ities+industry

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Politics absolutely influence development so all I have to say is RAY NAGIN HAS BEEN INDICTED ON 21 COUNTS OF CORRUPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 1:23 AM

Google Earth

Google Earth has updated their satellite pictures of New Orleans!!

Unfortunately the image was taken 10/05/12, so there's some projects that are further along than the picture shows, however it is still fun to view the progress from above as it happens.

Some interesting things to look for:
-Streetcar construction along Loyola Ave.
-Continued hospital construction
-No more Claiborne Towers
-Continued construction of public housing projects (Guste, Marrero Commons, Columbia Parc, Harmony Oaks)
-City Park's new festival grounds
-Continued riverfront park construction
-Condos on Notre Dame Street beginning construction
-WW2 Museum expansion
-Xavier's new buildings
-Mid-City Market

Am I leaving anything out?

Last edited by Blitzen; Jan 20, 2013 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 11:25 PM

WTC Redevelopment Bids

After reading the request for proposals for the WTC site (http://www.purchasing.cityofno.com/b...Url=activeBids) and looking at the site description, I noticed it isn't the entire block that's available for redevelopment. I assumed because the current building extends above the traintracks that it was part of the lot, but it is not. That area is just leased from the city. So if the developer tears down the building, I'm unsure they will be able to rebuild anything above the tracks - which makes any development smaller than I was hoping for. The city should have allowed the developer to rebuild everything including the ferry landing and Spanish Plaza. I was really hoping for a reconnection of Woldenberg Park and Spanish Plaza, and connections above the tracks.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Google Earth has updated their satellite pictures of New Orleans!!

Unfortunately the image was taken 10/05/12, so there's some projects that are further along than the picture shows, however it is still fun to view the progress from above as it happens.

Some interesting things to look for:
-Streetcar construction along Loyola Ave.
-Continued hospital construction
-No more Claiborne Towers
-Continued construction of public housing projects (Guste, Marrero Commons, Columbia Parc, Harmony Oaks)
-City Park's new festival grounds
-Continued riverfront park construction
-Condos on Notre Dame Street beginning construction
-WW2 Museum expansion
-Xavier's new buildings
-Mid-City Market

Am I leaving anything out?
Algiers Plaza
I-10 and Causeway
Louis Armstrong International
Superdome's Branding

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 2:02 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I assumed because the current building extends above the traintracks that it was part of the lot, but it is not. That area is just leased from the city. So if the developer tears down the building, I'm unsure they will be able to rebuild anything above the tracks - which makes any development smaller than I was hoping for. The city should have allowed the developer to rebuild everything including the ferry landing and Spanish Plaza. I was really hoping for a reconnection of Woldenberg Park and Spanish Plaza, and connections above the tracks.
The city owns the New Orleans Building Corporation, which owns the WTC. The city also owns the Public Belt, which owns the tracks. That means there's no financial issue with using the space over the tracks - it doesn't have to be purchased from a third party. Expect to see at least some of the proposals using this space, regardless of whether it was in the RFP or not.

It shouldn't be an issue, though. In 1963, the Public Belt sold the air rights to the NOBC, beginning at +22 above grade over a trapezoid-shaped portion of their right of way (noted on the survey in Addendum 3). Any proposal may build into this trapezoid-shaped area. If the building portion is cantilevered, there is no issue. If it is supported on columns, the developer will need to work with the Public Belt. If the sale of air rights was crafted properly back in the 60s, then the contract should require the Public Belt to accept a minimal encroachment into their right of way for structural columns.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
Algiers Plaza
I-10 and Causeway
Louis Armstrong International
Superdome's Branding
What's the Algiers Plaza?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
What's the Algiers Plaza?
Expansion of the shopping center at General Degaulle, Holiday, and MacArthur...

Also the various flood protection systems are finished for the most part in those new images...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
Expansion of the shopping center at General Degaulle, Holiday, and MacArthur...

Also the various flood protection systems are finished for the most part in those new images...
Didn't know they were doing that there. I used to go there as a kid when it was still in its original form, Canal Villere and all. Good to see it being redeveloped.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 5:18 AM

Demolition of buildings at Constance/Poeyfarre
Repaved Tchoupitoulas in the WHD
New jail construction
Condo construction site on Girod next to Lucy's

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 6:22 PM
-

Walmart Supercenter #912 - New / New Orleans

Private Thursday, February 14, 2013 Monday, March 18, 2013
Estimated Value* Square Footage
$10,000,000.00 179174
Address
6000 Bullard Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70128
Orleans County
Description Site work and new construction of a retail development in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the construction of a 179,174-square-foot national-chain retail store featuring a sales floor, grocery department, pharmacy, office space, storage space, restrooms and a garden center.

A pre-bid meeting will be held on February 6, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. at 6000 Bullard Ave., New Orleans, LA. The owner has determined a list of select general contractors to bid on this project. Subcontractor bids are due to the GC Bidder(s) by 3:00 p.m. CST on February 14, 2013.*

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 12:54 AM

What is that 3+ story building under construction at the corner of Natchez and Tchoupitoulas? I believe it was open land before.

Also, a new construction CVS is u/s at Read/I-10 Service Road where the Goodyear used to be.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 1:08 AM
on the south side

Great to see the local eateries in the airport!! Here in Austin, that is a prerequisite at the airport. Way to NOLA!!!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsalfl View Post
What is that 3+ story building under construction at the corner of Natchez and Tchoupitoulas? I believe it was open land before.
You are correct, it was a small parking lot before. The municipal address is 411 Natchez Street. According to planning records it is a new single family residence.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations