HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 2:20 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Not really what I look for in a downtown. If I wanted wilderness, I'd drive there.
That's perfect, no one is asking you to. 1.4 million other people are just fine with it

The world's greatest downtown beaver-dam!

By Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 3:25 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
That's perfect, no one is asking you to. 1.4 million other people are just fine with it
First of all, I doubt you've polled 1.4 million people and asked them nor is it possibly to get 100% in agreement about anything. Secondly, if this site turns into one where only praise is acceptable it's going to get pointless awfully quickly. That's nothing short of masterbatory.

Comments should be welcome whether they're complimentary or not. It's not as if I'm trying to insult Calgary, nor could one feature possibly be construed as a commentary on an entire city.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 3:29 AM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
Not really what I look for in a downtown. If I wanted wilderness, I'd drive there. Downtown I want big solid buildings, a street apron, a mass of humanity on the sidewalk. Even my downtown parks I want refined, tamed, highly designed with paths paved in stone.

...you HAVE seen pictures of Calgary's actual downtown before, surely?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Not really what I look for in a downtown. If I wanted wilderness, I'd drive there. Downtown I want big solid buildings, a street apron, a mass of humanity on the sidewalk. Even my downtown parks I want refined, tamed, highly designed with paths paved in stone.

Really? What a weird thing to say.. That pic is like one spot in a park for petes sake..

Theres plenty of everything else you mentioned.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 3:31 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

St. John's NL

Here are two more photos I took in St. John's recently, both are non typical views.

Aptly named, Columbus Drive winds its way through the west end of the city much like Columbus on his voyages of exploration and discovery:

From this vantage point, the East End of St. John's avoids all contact with the ocean leaving a considerable amount of land suitable for future development:

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 8:53 PM

Hard to get many photos of this movie,shot in part in Winnipeg. Pantages Playhouse, Princess St and all about the exchange district.Non-Disclosure agreements were signed, but I enjoyed being on set. Here's a few I could find floating about. If anyone has any others I'd love to see them or can find links. thx.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Hmm winnipeg hasn't changed much Storefronts on Princess.

media.travelmanitoba.com

Infrastructure is similiar to today.

www.manitoba-eh.ca

Winnipegs Exchange district- During Shoot- 2007

If any one has links to photos or can find them I'd love to see them. I signed a NDA before the shoot and could not take any photos. thx.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 9:37 PM
Here and There

So one minute Calgary is "devoid of trees and barren" and now we have too many trees and it looks too wild??

Figure it out eastern Canada. Stop flip flopping! lol

Those trees are the only thing saving the shoreline from the mass torrent of mountain water from spring flooding.

This forum should be re-named "The bitch about and shoot down other cities forum"

What a comment fail.

Next time just say: "Wow, looking good" Not every city is going to be a smoggy, polluted concrete jungle....

Quote:

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 9:49 PM
ARTchitecture

Cool shots of Winnipeg. Ive never seen thatmovie though, is it kinda like a new age Western?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Cool shots of Winnipeg. Ive never seen thatmovie though, is it kinda like a new age Western?
It is somewhat of a new age western, here's a low down on the movie >> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443680/

A few more Pics I could find.

photobucket.com/albums/v257/ZiggyLover

Princess St. between Notre Dame Ave, & McDermot Ave.

Behind the Burton Cummings [Odeon] Theatre

McDermot Ave, west of Princess St

north-east corner of Princess & Notre Dame

http://www.manitoba-eh.ca

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 7:07 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Figure it out eastern Canada.
yeah, eastern canada. get your quarter-continent's worth of opinions straight.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 7:35 PM
ARTchitecture

By Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 8:18 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
yeah, eastern canada. get your quarter-continent's worth of opinions straight.
That is so true and hilariously conveyed. The defensiveness of some of the post have been verging on the realm of the ridiculous lately.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 9:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A few shots over the past couple of days...

Trouble Bound, where I went for my tattoo today:

A drink and fall colours in Harbourside Park:

The streets of the Battery. You can see three levels of houses in this shot, the last almost lost in the black on the right:

Out for a run up Signal Hill with the girls:

DONE!

And a little bit of nationalism, lol:

As loved our fathers, so we love
We once they stood, we stand
Their prayer we raise to Heav'n above:
God guard thee, New Founde Land!

And we're heading to the Ice Caps game in an hour. Woot woot!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 2:42 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a recent aerial photo of Halifax. You can see the new library and a bunch of construction sites if you look closely:

Another angle:

http://www.visionairimages.com/Geogr...-EasternShore/

Last edited by someone123; Oct 19, 2013 at 4:06 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 2:46 AM

Quote:

And in downtown Calgary / Beltline, you can have all of the above contained in about 4 sq km.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 3:29 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Ouch! parking bomb...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 4:11 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I liked this one too:

Source

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 12:26 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So, last night after the Ice Caps game (we won 5-1!), we planned to go to a dance club but ended up just doing an impromptu pub crawl instead.

We tried Yellowbelly, Grapevine, Nautical Nellie's, Duke of Duckworth, Celtic Hearth/Talamnh an Eisc - and, FINALLY, we went to the Republic.

I've never gone to the Republic because it's on this awkward stretch of Duckworth that's just on top of the George Street stairs and, well, if you're that close, you might as well go to George.

Well, now I'll be going all the time. I should have realized this based on its name but it's a separatist bar - for real. I had no idea it existed. The crowd seemed a little young for a pub (lots of first-year university types) but it was packed.

The decor is amazing. They have rugby jerseys, lots of pictures of St. John's prior to Confederation, lots of quotes from famous Newfoundlanders, lots of political cartoons from the 1940s, some interesting artwork, etc.

This wall was my favourite:

The white posters along the bottom are the full text of our Terms of Union with Canada, including what Canada would do with the financial surplus we were bringing with us.

On top are some of the Bank of Newfoundland coins and banknotes, Newfoundland stamps, political cartoons, a defaced picture of Joey Smallwood, the national anthem text, and some sad pictures of St. John's residents hoisting the tricolor in protest after the referendum results were announced, including one cover of the Evening Telegram with the caption "We let the old flag fall".

Some of the pictures were completely new to me, I'd never seen them before. And it's a pretty big bar, all the walls were done up like this. I can't believe I'd never happened inside before. Loved it! And my first night with my new tattoo... I thought they might give me a Guinness for free, but nope.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 2:32 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A couple from this morning's hike...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 2:44 PM
Riki beach

I took this one a few minutes ago for SHH - An Oceanex ship passing by on its way to St. John's.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada