HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 12:43 PM

So, I started a new google map tracking current new-build residential projects in Pittsburgh.

As with my prior map I'm tracking all new or partial new-build multifamily projects, market rate and affordable, apartment and condo. The only thing I'm not really tracking here are downtown residential conversions and the like.

I'd really like it if people could suggest changes/additions/corrections here. I'm through Downtown, The Strip, Lawrenceville, and East Liberty on a regular basis, but that's not really true in the rest of the city. I wouldn't be surprised if I left off something in the Hill District, for example.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 5:26 PM

Thanks for putting this together Eschaton. It's a great point of reference, especially since similar tracking mediums (ex. PBT crane watch) are not regularly updated.

I did something similar but just for the strip district - hopefully you're able to access.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4546...6tJ8qsv5yg9VbR

There are a few speculative projects you missed in the strip but they're still conceptual so it probably does not make sense to add them.

I can think of two projects off the top of my head that were omitted:
- Gladstone School Redevelopment (affordable housing project in Hazelwood)
- Historic Renovation on W North Ave (Q development)

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
Thanks for putting this together Eschaton. It's a great point of reference, especially since similar tracking mediums (ex. PBT crane watch) are not regularly updated.

I did something similar but just for the strip district - hopefully you're able to access.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4546...6tJ8qsv5yg9VbR

There are a few speculative projects you missed in the strip but they're still conceptual so it probably does not make sense to add them.

I can think of two projects off the top of my head that were omitted:
- Gladstone School Redevelopment (affordable housing project in Hazelwood)
- Historic Renovation on W North Ave (Q development)
As I said, I decided to not cover rehabs unless it's a situation like the Holy Family site where they're adding new construction buildings as a substantive proportion of the development. I just don't know if I want to go into the whole can of worms of trying to track all the downtown residential conversions, mostly because it's really hard to figure out when they break ground.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As I said, I decided to not cover rehabs unless it's a situation like the Holy Family site where they're adding new construction buildings as a substantive proportion of the development. I just don't know if I want to go into the whole can of worms of trying to track all the downtown residential conversions, mostly because it's really hard to figure out when they break ground.
Gotcha - I didn't pick up on that in your original comment. I guess it depends what the goal is of this exercise. Are you more concerned with tracking inventory or the built environment? I agree it's impossible to get everything unless you set a minimum unit count.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 4:42 PM

It appears that Pittsburgh sports teams are uniformly bad at developing residential--almost like they had no real interest in doing it:

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202208300070

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 4:56 PM

^ Yeah, here we go again... and again... and again... and again... and again...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 2:29 AM

September 6 Planning Commission agenda is now online, and there's some potentially big news. Four new items:

1. First up, a proposed zoning amendment for Downtown which could have a major impact. The changes to Golden Triangle zoning are intended to "grease the skids" for further downtown residential conversions. Most notably, minimum lot size per residential unit is eliminated entirely! The way the current system works, a lot of the bigger residential developments technically fail zoning (if they are in tall enough buildings) and the developer needs to "transfer" theoretical units of housing from other buildings which don't intend to develop residential units to move these projects forward. This would completely eliminate the need for this process. In addition new residential development downtown will no longer be reviewed by the Planning Commission at all, and the threshold for the Commission covering external renovations Downtown is set to be raised from $50,000 to $250,000. This means that zoning-compliant development Downtown can be built relatively quickly with few potential roadblocks.

2. A request for rezoning in Larimer appears to show that a large new mixed-use/multifamily project is planned. The area (between Frankstown and Hamilton, just past East Liberty Boulevard) is now zoned a mixture of UI and LNC, and the developer seeks to have the LNC portion rezoned - presumably because it's more permissive for multifamily. It looks like the development will include some ground-floor commercial and a pool. The developer also did the recent Connection @ South Side. Pittsburgh Business Times indicates it's a 220-unit building, and will be 10% affordable.

3. Restoration of the semi-abandoned 965 Liberty Avenue downtown to be a three-unit residential building with ground-floor commercial. This is presumably the sort of project that soon would not need to be reviewed by the Planning Commission.

4. Another small Downtown project...probably gonna see less of those soon...with Alta Via opening up in the PPG Place section of Market Square.

In addition to the Planning Commission, the September 7 HRC presentation is also online. Many of these are not worth discussing, but there is a little here - namely two Desmone infill houses on the North Side. The first is here on Butterfield Way. The second is on Reddour Street. I don't typically like Desmone's design eye, but these are unobjectionable.

The September 22 ZBA agenda is also online. There's also a bunch of small projects here, and one major one.

1. An infill house in Central Lawrenceville. This is the location - it's a teardown/replace (I think it's the yellow house). Honestly this epitomizes everything I hate about Lawrenceville infill - take a small plain house with decent massing, but remuddled to hell, tear it out, and build something way larger which has needlessly busy massing to hide the use of shit materials.

2. Infill house in Deutschtown. I believe this has already gone through the HRC...the houses are in such poor shape the developer wants to knock both down and build historically-styled ones in their place.

3. The Mellon's Orchard project on N Negley has finally arrived! It's now an AE7 design. This is a big project - 264 units. It's gonna need some additional height, setback variances, and changes to zoning (part of the site is only zoned R2) in order to work. I'm a little worried that there's enough homeowner occupants on Rural Street that it could run into trouble. Particularly because I also don't see any evidence that there's an affordable element to this project. There's no ground-floor commercial, which doesn't surprise me. Sharp design...let's see what happens.

The October 6th ZBA has also dropped. Again, something small, and something big.

1. Infill house in Lower Lawrenceville. This is another Desmone project, and replacing a perfectly cromulent house. Seems somewhat of a mishmash in design, since it's trying to be historically styled, yet it has a front-loading garage. It could be acceptable or godawful depending upon the final detailing.

2. A major new development in Crawford Roberts I had heard nothing about. This is 123-units of new affordable development, replacing units in Bedford Dwellings with new units on a largely empty superblock between Reed and Colwell Street. Looks like the development will take place in two phases, each of which including a larger building and a number of duplexes.

Last edited by eschaton; Aug 31, 2022 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 11:07 AM

So many exciting residential projects!

That Crawford Roberts project being up on that promontory overlooking Miller, Colwell, and Dinwiddie will give it a boost in terms of impact on the overall feel of that area. I've noted this many times before, but the gradual infill of that general area is slowly but surely creating a kind of continuity of development from Uptown through the Lower Hill--well, except for the Arena site, which is inexplicably languishing even as all this other stuff keeps moving along.

Somewhat similarly, that industrial corridor between Hamilton and Frankstown is also oozing with mixed-use potential. In fact, all this somewhat ties into the plans for new pedestrian friendly streets, a new bridge, and possibly a new Busway stop in that area (although most of that still needs funding) . . . .

https://www.wesa.fm/development-tran...er-leaders-say

https://www.portauthority.org/BOTEB

Sidenote--that "Building on the East Busway" ("BOTEB") concept is interesting to me. It is all at a very preliminary conceptual stage, but I think it is true that whole stretch is ripe for more transit-oriented development. Closer to my end, they are looking at reconfiguring Wilkinsburg Station (moving the actual station more into the commercial district of Wilkinsburg, around Pitt and Penn), and adding another station (Brushton, a historic railroad station name) to then fill the gap between Homewood Station and the new Wilkinsburg station:

https://pghtransit.mysocialpinpoint....lkinsburg/home

That would then create an enormous opportunity for TOD in that whole long stretch along the Busway, possibly including the park and ride lots (which could be replaced as necessary with structures ala East Liberty).

Finally, I note the linked presentation for the Mellon's Orchard project says at a few points that the units planned over the code allowed height are are there "to meet or exceed 20% affordable housing unit count" (see pages 16-17). So hopefully that explicit linking of the requested height variance and affordable housing units will make it more likely to see approval.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That Crawford Roberts project being up on that promontory overlooking Miller, Colwell, and Dinwiddie will give it a boost in terms of impact on the overall feel of that area. I've noted this many times before, but the gradual infill of that general area is slowly but surely creating a kind of continuity of development from Uptown through the Lower Hill--well, except for the Arena site, which is inexplicably languishing even as all this other stuff keeps moving along.
Yeah, Crawford-Roberts proper is getting closer and closer to 100% filled in. Of course, large portions of that were built out decades too early at inappropriate densities, but I think people who aren't in the neighborhood much would be shocked at what the Hill District is turning into.

Quote:
Somewhat similarly, that industrial corridor between Hamilton and Frankstown is also oozing with mixed-use potential. In fact, all this somewhat ties into the plans for new pedestrian friendly streets, a new bridge, and possibly a new Busway stop in that area (although most of that still needs funding) . . . .[/url]
I mean, it's been clear for awhile that the Hamilton corridor is going to be sort of annexed into the market-rate portions of the East End. You have East End Brewing Company, Goodlander Cocktails, KLVN Coffee, Alumni Theatre, the offices of Grow Pittsburgh, etc. Honestly the most surprising thing about this to me is that the front of the building is facing Frankstown, with what looks like a lot on Hamilton. There still is a tiny bit of commercial, but it's a lot less vibrant of a street.

Quote:
Finally, I note the linked presentation for the Mellon's Orchard project says at a few points that the units planned over the code allowed height are are there "to meet or exceed 20% affordable housing unit count" (see pages 16-17). So hopefully that explicit linking of the requested height variance and affordable housing units will make it more likely to see approval.
Yeah, my bad. I looked through the entire presentation, didn't see anything, then did a find for the word affordable. I should have been more meticulous. I'm glad to see there's still an affordable component, because I think it's absolutely necessary to get something of this scope built in East Liberty at this point (the politics have turned toxic against large-scale market rate housing). I still do worry about the homeowners on Rural who will directly abut this pitching a fit though (6531 is a giant home with a big lot).

One aspect of this I'm wondering about comes from this article from WESA back in April...which I missed at the time. Essentially ELDI sold 5620 Rippey Street, which is an apartment building on the same block, but was still inhabited. All the existing tenants were evicted. This seems...shortsighted considering the rest of the block is now being redeveloped. Maybe the developer didn't need this parcel. Maybe ELDI needed to sell in order to get some of the capital to move the rest of the development forward?

Regardless, WESA makes it sound like ELDI is imploding, which is a bit surprising. I mean, it's not shocking they've been priced out of the game in East Liberty, given real estate prices. But they were sitting on a very valuable portfolio of property, and the discussion of layoffs suggests they are having cash flow issues. I do have to wonder if maybe this is a sort of planned demolition. ELDI played a good game for awhile, but it was always a community organization run by the different local businesses in East Liberty to help revive the neighborhood, and it may be seen as outmoded now. Certainly the talk about "promoting homeownership" is stupid, because just about every smaller-scale lot in the neighborhood has now been infilled with a home. Maybe they could get some townhouses built across from Home Depot, but large-scale redevelopment around Penn Circle is all the neighborhood has left in terms of stabilization.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 1:06 PM

I certainly think the days of East Liberty needing the promotional/advocacy aspects of an organization like ELDI are long past, and now same with the small-scale "kickstart" development role (as pointed about above), so . . . yeah, not sure they really serve much purpose any more.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 2:37 PM

East Liberty is such a strange thing to me these days. On one hand, there's never been such large-scale development happening. It's really steaming along and filling in with residential and office. On the other hand, anything I would consider to be the unique "heart" of East Liberty has gone under or vanished. Other than some national retailers, there's not much "there" there. I think a lot of it was a bit too early maybe? Or squandered. Kelly Strayhorn is an incredible asset, but doesn't get as much support as they should and isn't quite the cultural force that they have the potential to be. Kelly's Bar is a great long-time local anchor. But where are the rest of the absolute must attractions or businesses? It'd be nice if ELDI could transition more into an incubator for local businesses and creative projects, which is the part I think is really lacking now. I also think there's a lot of commercial property "squatting" going on, where building owners let properties sit there, overpriced as hell, for a tenant that may be 4-6 years away (if ever), when they could try to get some folks in there to attempt building something new.

Last edited by AaronPGH; Aug 31, 2022 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
East Liberty is such a strange thing to me these days. On one hand, there's never been such large-scale development happening. It's really steaming along and filling in with residential and office. On the other hand, anything I would consider to be the unique "heart" of East Liberty has gone under or vanished. Other than some national retailers, there's not much "there" there. I think a lot of it was a bit too early maybe? Or squandered. Kelly Strayhorn is an incredible asset, but doesn't get as much support as they should and isn't quite the cultural force that they have the potential to be. Kelly's Bar is a great long-time local anchor. But where are the rest of the absolute must attractions or businesses? It'd be nice if ELDI could transition more into an incubator for local businesses and creative projects, which is the part I think is really lacking now. I also think there's a lot of commercial property "squatting" going on, where building owners let properties sit there, overpriced as hell, for a tenant that may be 4-6 years away (if ever), when they could try to get some folks in there to attempt building something new.
Part of the problem is of course that they were incredibly effective at blasting out the historic East Liberty during its "let's make it a strip mall!" days. And it may well take decades for the "new" East Liberty to develop the sorts of long term institutional businesses that help define neighborhood personalities.

But personally, I still think the obvious thing to do is to turn the area around the Presbyterian Church into a European-style "cathedral square", sort of like Market Square but with the church in the middle. People would have to be OK with what that meant for the arterial streets (Penn and Highland), but through-traffic flow could remain the same (possibly even be improved) if you did it in a smart way.

Edit: Oh, and Motor Square Garden seems like an obvious second opportunity to do something distinctive. It was originally built by the Mellons circa 1900 to be a city market house, then transitioned through a bunch of uses including failing as a mall in the late 80s/early 90s. But it is still an incredible building/space, and SOMETHING more public oriented should be able to work there.

Last edited by BrianTH; Aug 31, 2022 at 3:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 3:17 PM

Post-Gazette calling for an investigation into Penguins "efforts" to develop the former Civic Arena site.

Editorial: Penguins' failure to develop Lower Hill site demands investigation

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion...s/202208300109

THE EDITORIAL BOARD
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
AUG 31, 2022 12:00 AM

The enormous scar left by the Civic Arena’s demolition continues to embarrass the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Hill District and the entire city. In fact, it’s downright scandalous, and it needs an independent investigation by the City Controller’s office. The public needs and deserves a full accounting of this spectacular failure.

At best, the Penguins have been an untrustworthy partner in developing this valuable and historic publicly owned land between Downtown and the Hill District. Despite that, it’s too late — even if the law would permit it — to strip the team of its development rights, without incurring even more delays.

The team has worked on this project for 15 years, including the 10 years it had available land. In all that time, it has produced the early stages of a single office building, and still has no timeline to build promised housing. Now, it is, once again, changing horses midstream by ditching its second housing development partner to focus on its relationship with a politically connected firm. The Penguins received exclusive development rights to the former Civic Arena site in 2007; the old arena closed in 2010; and the site was cleared in 2012.

Compare that record of floundering to the success of the Arena District in Columbus, a development the city and team held out as a model when they struck a deal in 2007. The Columbus Blue Jackets’ Nationwide Arena opened for the 2000 hockey season. Now, 6.3 million people annually visit the surrounding neighborhood. By comparison, the Civic Arena site is more than disappointing — it’s downright depressing.

Of Pittsburgh’s three major sports franchises, the Penguins have been the most politically connected. Long-time owner Ron Burkle and former CEO David Morehouse were close to the Clinton family. The team’s current president of business operations, Kevin Acklin, was former mayor Bill Peduto’s chief-of-staff. He also headed the board of Urban Redevelopment Authority, which owns much of the land the Penguins are developing.

Now the team is expanding its relationship with a development firm headed by the son of Sala Udin, the president of the Pittsburgh Public Schools board. Bomani Howze is the president and CEO of Olmec Development Co. and the vice president for development and acquisitions of the Buccini/Pollin Group, the lead developer for the office, hotel, retail and entertainment elements of the site. Sources tell the Post-Gazette the team is in talks to hand over the residential development to Olmec and Buccini/Pollin — in other words, to Mr. Howze — as well.

If this project had gone smoothly, perhaps no one would care about this morass of political connections and economic interests. But more than a decade of delays raises questions about who might be benefitting from leaving this prime land fallow. Maybe an independent investigation could answer them.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I feel like any potential for East Liberty to be something unique basically ended when the Shadow Lounge closed. Since then it's just been chains, a handful of unfashionable "old" hangers-on like Capri, and a few pseudo-local businesses with no real community connections (like the restaurants on the 100 block of S Highland).

Stands in pretty stark contrast to Garfield, which has managed to maintain a unique local vibe along Penn even if it's much less black than it used to be. But that's what happens when you have an intact, finely-grained business district I suppose.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 4:08 PM

While I don't discount the possibility that the further delay of housing in the Lower Hill is by design, I have to think the economic incentive for the Penguins to keep the land as undeveloped parking lots has been basically destroyed by COVID.

After all, downtown work commutes remain a fraction of what they were prior to the pandemic. Event demand has mostly recovered, but the area is simply over-parked by any reasonable measure now, meaning it should be much more of a net drain on finances to keep the lots empty - particularly the ones further up the hill, which are a long walk away from Grant Street.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Post-Gazette calling for an investigation into Penguins "efforts" to develop the former Civic Arena site.
Might as well try!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
While I don't discount the possibility that the further delay of housing in the Lower Hill is by design, I have to think the economic incentive for the Penguins to keep the land as undeveloped parking lots has been basically destroyed by COVID.

After all, downtown work commutes remain a fraction of what they were prior to the pandemic. Event demand has mostly recovered, but the area is simply over-parked by any reasonable measure now, meaning it should be much more of a net drain on finances to keep the lots empty - particularly the ones further up the hill, which are a long walk away from Grant Street.
Although parking revenues might be down, what carrying costs do they actually have? Could they simply be land banking?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 3:34 PM

Chicago developer proposes 299-apartment complex in Lawrenceville, including firehouse rehab

Quote:
Chicago developer Albion Residential is pitching a plan to erect a mixed-use building featuring 299 apartments at the corner of Butler Street and McCandless Avenue in the neighborhood.

The proposal also includes 12,000 square feet of commercial space, 220 parking stalls and the restoration of a historic firehouse dating back to 1889 into a retail and common area venue.

As part of the plan, the developer is considering a five-story wood frame building at the site. It also intends to set aside 10% of the units as affordable.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 3:43 PM

I was wondering when something would happen here. This has to be the single-biggest missing tooth left on Butler Street. The land along Butler is literally just landscaping for most of two blocks, with a former freight depot retrofitted awkwardly into offices taking up the back block.

Honestly it seems a bit underbuilt to me given the size of the developable area.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 3:47 PM

Wasn't there a proposal to redevelop the Shop n Save parcel a couple blocks up Butler?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations