HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 4:48 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

She’s a beaut!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 4:55 PM

Nice detailing on the tower, thank god for these grandfathered projects otherwise 20m is the max for this site which would take us up to the 3 floor of the tower.

Which brings me to the podium. It's interaction with the road is kind of suburban for an established area that has decent density IMO.

Why not break up the podium with townhouses to mesh better with an already established low rise residential area to the west? It would increase supply and create more units to be sold, adding to the bottom line of the development.

Last edited by TheNovaScotian; Jun 3, 2021 at 4:59 PM. Reason: correction

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
Nice detailing on the tower, thank god for these grandfathered projects otherwise 20m is the max for this site which would take us up to the 3 floor of the tower.

Which brings me to the podium. It's interaction with the road is kind of suburban for an established area that has decent density IMO.

Why not break up the podium with townhouses to mesh better with an already established low rise residential area to the west? It would increase supply and create more units to be sold, adding to the bottom line of the development.
The podium appears to be retail or institutional space. Or one ginormous cafe, which would make the urban planners positively giddy.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 2:24 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Urbanize Halifax on FB has posted a picture of this - can someone copy and paste it to this site?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Urbanize Halifax on FB has posted a picture of this - can someone copy and paste it to this site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post
Rendering

Source
It was just on the previous page

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 6:37 PM

Definitely a step up from a lot of designs. And I do like the vertical detailing as well. Something more projects need to start adding.

I do however feel like its missing a crown. Where this building sits almost completely isolated from an urban context I think it could do a better job of being a landmark tower. Put this in a line of other similar sized buildings and it would be fine. But on its own I think it needs maybe a bit more of a set back on those top 3 floors and something to crown it off.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 8:15 PM

Glass is going in just above the podium. It looks like they went for neon orange as the accent colour? I couldn't get a picture, but it didn't look great...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Glass is going in just above the podium. It looks like they went for neon orange as the accent colour? I couldn't get a picture, but it didn't look great...
Looking at their instagram it looks more like a faux wood cedar finish. I imagine more of those ceramic tiles?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Looking at their instagram it looks more like a faux wood cedar finish. I imagine more of those ceramic tiles?
Could you post a screenshot of what you're referring too here? They blocked me on Instagram when I asked them why they are putting so much information on a name release when even a rendering isn't out yet

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 6:01 PM

I went back and couldn't find it. Maybe I saw it somewhere else but can't remember.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 1:58 PM

On Sunday, June 20, they raised the crane height on this project. A crew of four people (plus the crane operator) added four sections to the tower supporting the crane. It was a little slow at the beginning, but late in the day it was about 70 minutes or so to complete the lift and installation of the tower piece. Based on previous information in this thread, the current floor they’re working on now is the 17th floor, so five more.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 7:23 PM

Dang! I was a little too slow to post but I noticed it yesterday as well when I was out for a walk:

I still didn't get a picture of the glass being installed, but it's definitely not faux wood ceramics - but just a plain neon orange accent siding

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 5:41 PM

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 5:44 PM

Could be okay, depending on the rest of the materials. Dexel often uses bright colours as an accent in their projects and does a good job with them (Vertu Suites, St. Joseph's Square).

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Could be okay, depending on the rest of the materials. Dexel often uses bright colours as an accent in their projects and does a good job with them (Vertu Suites, St. Joseph's Square).
Yep! I agree, after looking at a closeup I retract my statement earlier that they didn't look great. Kind of reminds me of the balconies of St Josephs Square that looked a bit much at the start. The vertical detailing and the glass balconies if done right should take away with how bold they look now.

I'm excited about this project, the renderings look good aside from the podium which I'm still waiting to see in person, but the massing feels great driving past this site daily.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 6:10 PM

I don't mind it. It's not an in your face colour. Plus most of it will be obscured behind the vertical accents on the buildings outer facade.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 3:56 PM

More renderings care of Dexel:

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
More renderings care of Dexel:

]

Looks consistent to renderings so far, and looks good. The massing is what I wish more towers around Halifax looked like.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 1:51 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This one's odd in that the tower is nicely designed but it will have generic strip mall parking in front.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 10:34 AM

Well, it can't be like the towers built in the car-hostile downtown core as this is in a car-centric area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth